Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[LANGU] [ARCHIVE] Skånska - Scanian Dialect from the south of Sweden

Fnirk1
Sweden

[LANGU] [ARCHIVE] Skånska - Scanian Dialect from the south of Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

Originally posted by: Tim801 På Duolingo Arkiverat här

Hello! Or maybe I should say "Haj!" as we say in Skånska instead of the regular "Hej!"

As a native Swedish speaker from the wonderful city of Malmö in Skåne, I thought it might be fun to introduce you to Skånska.
Skånska is the dialect we use in the south, the way of pronuncing still varies exactly where you are in the south, but the "slang" is mostly the same. For spanish speakers you could compare with Argentinian slang "Lunfardo".
For many people the Scanian dialect might be considered the hardest to understand. In the Scanian dialect we usually speak with diphthong, we add an E before the vowels which makes it quite hard to understand what we are saying sometimes. We also remove the consonants in the end of some words, usually the G and the T. The T in some words are soften to a D instead.

For example the words:

• Dålig (bad) is pronounced Deåli.

• Tråkig (boring) is pronounced Treåki.

• Sjuk (ill) is pronounced Sjeug. (I actually pronounce the K as an K. But on the countryside they will say the K like a G)

• Död (Dead) is pronounced Dö´. (Imagine saying english Dead with out the last D, but with an ö instead of "ea"..Dea..Dö´...)

• Dog (Died) is pronounced Deu. (sounds like the name Dew)

• Sluta (Stop; as in "Stop it!" - "Sluta!") is pronounced Sluda or even Sleuda in some accents. (Again, I say the T like an T, but on the countryside they would say "sluda")

Notice that the K becomes a G in the end of the word Sjuk, this may also vary depending where you are in the south.

The sentence Jag vet inte (I don't know) becomes Ja ve éne when said quickly. This one is used more among friends when you are bored and someone says "What shall we do?" "Ja ve éne"

Words like Heter" (As in "Jag heter Sven") and Säker (Safe, secure, sure) becomes Hetor and Säkor when pronounced in Sånska. The E is changed to an O.

Det (That) and är (Is) are usually simplifed to De and e , also Och becomes a simple O.
This is an example of the simplification of Det and är. First in English, then Swedish and then Skånska. This is an actual sentence that is totally correct.

"Is it that it is?" - "Yes it is that it is."

Regular Swedish: "Är det det det ä?" - "Ja, det är det det är"

Skånska: "E de de de e?" - "Ja, de e de de e"

Also, in some swedish dialects the SJ-sound and SK-sound as in Sjuk or Skön(Fine/Comfortable), is pronounced like when you want to silence someone, "SH" Shhh...More related to the German SCH-sound as in Schön.
In Skåne we pronounce it a bit different, it is more of a blowing sound. For example the number Seven, which is Sju (in Skånska: Sjeu).
Imagine you are blowing out a candle or whistle and at the same time saying the letter U. It is quite hard to explain exactly how to do it, most persons I know from other countries have difficulties pronouncing our SJ-sound.

When you have learned how to say it, you should try to say:

Sjuttiosju sjösjuka sjömän sköttes av sju sköna sjuksköterskor på skeppet Shanghai! (Seventy-seven seasick sailors were looked after by seven lovely nurses on the ship Shanghai.)

The vocabulary of Skånska is quite big. In my family and among friends we usually use words like:

-NOTE: I MIGHT UPDATE THIS LIST OF WORDS FROM TIME TO TIME-

• Påg (Boy) which in regular Swedish is Pojke.

• Tös (Girl) - regular Swedish: Flicka.

• Rälig (Disgusting or Scary) - Regular Swedish: äcklig or Läskig

• Tradig (Boring) - Regular Swedish: Tråkig.

• Hossor (Sockings)- Regular Swedish: Strumpor.

• Hutta (To throw) - Regular Swedish verb: Kasta/Slänga.

• Mög (Dirt, but also used as expressing "Shit!") - Regular Swedish: Smuts or Skit

• Klyddig (Messy, tricky or difficult) - Regular Swedish: Rörigt or Svårt

• Redig (Proper, neat or tidy) - Regular Swedish: Ordentlig

• (Bad; like in "Bad dog!. Not to be confused with the swedish word for Smile, which is "le") - Regular Swedish: Stygg

• Tön (Silly, stupid; in a more kind way like; "What a silly dog! - Vilken tön hund!") - This one is harder to translate to Swedish though we have a variety of words that mean "Silly". I would say: Fånig, but we also have Fjantig or Knasig. But these could be regional too. Either way they could all be useful

• Sölig (Slow; as velocity) - Regular Swedish: Långsam

• Spåga (Knit. That tiny tiny piece of irritating wood that gets stuck in your finger when you are working with wood) Regular Swedish: Sticka (-i

• Rullebör (Wheelbarrow) - Regular Swedish: Skottkärra. This is a classic Skanish word.

• Fubbick (Idiot) - Regular Swedish: Idiot

Some words may have a different meaning in the north and in the south as well, for example:
The verb Grina, which in the north means "to cry a lot" and in the south it means "To laugh a lot"...So more or less the opposite of eachother.

Balle is the word we use for the buttocks in Skåne, but in the north I think it is the balls or the penis, I am still confused about this..

The easiest way to spot a "skåning" is to hear the way they say Mig, Dig and Sig.

• Mig - Maj.
  • Dig - Daj.
  • Sig - Saj.
    In most Swedish dialects it is pronounced Mej, Dej and Sej.

We sometimes tend to say Nej like Naj. Imagine saying the English "Hi" but with an N before. "Nay". I do not know if Duolingo mention this, but in the whole of Sweden you can also say instead of Nej. In Skånska it sounds more like a goat, "Näee\".............

Also with the salute Hej we say Haj, like in English. "Haj" also means shark, so if you want to be super boring you can answer "delfin"(dolphine) when someone says "Haj" to you.

That was it, I will add more to this lesson when I think of something new, so if you are interested you should stay tuned!

Some favorite musicians from Skåne where you can hear the accent:

Bob Hund, Pop-indie band with members from Helsingborg/Ängelholm

Peps Persson, Blues/Reagge artist from Helsingborg

Hasse Andersson, country singer from Malmö

Danne Stråhed, "Dansbands" musician from Malmö

Timbuktu, rapper from Lund.

Kal P Dal, rock musician from Malmö:\nhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcSbN2rxTkw

And my favorite celebrity from Skåne, the stand up comedian
JOHAN GLANS! (with english subtitles)

There is a movie called "Hata Göteborg" which is in Skånska. I can not find a stream with english subtitles, but you can download the movie and the subtitles separately. The acting is quite bad, but it is still entertaining.

If you need help or further explanation of something - Whether it is in Swedish or Skånska, you are welcome to ask me! Hope you enjoyed this short text!

For further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanian_di ... Vocabulary

Return to “Om svenska språket”