Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

הם או -ם- suffix for them

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

הם או -ם- suffix for them

Post by Corinnebelle »

So this is a post I made on Duo with no answers, it seems everyone has fled the forum. I will try here to see if I get an answer.

I notice in some words -ה in the -הם suffix gets excised. Other times not. Examples שלהם אבל לא אותם. Is that because of tav in אותם?

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: -הם או ם suffix for them

Post by EranBarLev »

I found an interesting article about this: (It's in Hebrew though, so I'm not sure you can understand it.)

https://www.safa-ivrit.org/form/etzlam.php

TLDR: There's a rule for that, but שלהם is an exception to this rule. There's also a common error by many native speakers with the preposition אצל. The correct form is אצלם, but many native speakers say אצלהם.

I'm afraid you'll just have to memorize which prepositions get the ה and which ones don't. :(

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Re: -הם או ם suffix for them

Post by Corinnebelle »

Thanks for answering! Yes, a lot of things to memorize.

עם also does that and

בשביל

נגד

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: הם או -ם- suffix for them

Post by EranBarLev »

Actually:

• עם can be either עמם or עמהם, both are correct, but both are formal and uncommon. The most common form is איתם, which is irregular.
  • בשביל is similar to אצל - the correct form is בשבילם, but there's a common error by many native speakers בשבילהם.
  • נגד goes according to the rule - נגדם.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

EranBarLev wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:18 pm

Actually:

• עם can be either עמם or עמהם, both are correct, but both are formal and uncommon. The most common form is איתם, which is irregular

very irregular

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Another interesting anomaly is when the suffixed direct object loses the vav for אתכם ואתכן as opposed to for example אותו for him. Just ironing out the finer points.

Return to “Grammar”