Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Politiet fulgte den løpende tyven. Topic is solved

Moderator: SansEspoir

weerwater

Politiet fulgte den løpende tyven.

Post by weerwater »

Skill Law2 (2022)

'Fulgte' from the verb 'å følge' means 'followed', says DLhttps://forum.duolingo.com/comment/49193123.

I have been looking in Ordboken for the 'chasing' meaning. But without success.
Even 'etterfølge' does not refer to a chase, but more to a succession.
In my perception however, a running thief would not be followed, but chased.

So my question in this exercise concerns the exact meaning of 'å følge'.

Could 'følge' indeed mean chasing ( a thief)?

liv
Norway

Re: Politiet fulgte den løpende tyven.

Post by liv »

Følge I would say mean follow. Norwegian lacks a good word for chase I think so we are left with having to use chase:

We do have a word for being chased which is forfulgt. And if you are hunting we could say jakte på but that is not being used about humans. Another expressen is å bli jaget... but it tend to mean to be made to leave some premises. Like katten ble jaget ut av fjøset-

weerwater

Post by weerwater »

liv wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:47 pm

We do have a word for being chased which is forfulgt.

Thank you for providing the proper verb for this context.
I appreciate the clear explanation of the alternatives.

Tusen takk.

PiningForTheFjords

Post by PiningForTheFjords »

liv wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:47 pm

... Another expressen is å bli jaget... but it tend to mean to be made to leave some premises. Like katten ble jaget ut av fjøset-

Straying away from the meanings of å følge for a moment - per your example, do fjøset and låven both mean the same kind of barn? I had not encountered fjøset prior to your use of the word, so I wonder if there is a subtle difference in meaning. Thanks!

liv
Norway

Post by liv »

I guess technically låven is the place where feed is kept and fjøset is a place for animals. Fjøs is a sort of contraction of fe (cows) and house (hus). But I think in regions in Norway that distinction is a bit blurred

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”