Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] the word "את" (et, not aht)

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] the word "את" (et, not aht)

Post by Corinnebelle »

Julia746465 wrote:

I thought I was finally understanding when to put את in a sentence, but then I translated "you eat avocado" to ״אתה אוכל את אבוקדו״, and it was wrong. I thought את comes before a noun when something is being done to it? and in this case someone is eating the avocado so eating is being done to it. Can someone explain when to use the word?

Archive of comments

direct object or No?

GKESO3 wrote

Gee, make up your mind. I eat the fish She wants the fish In both situations, fish is the noun acting as the word which answer the question(s): I eat what? She eats what? In one case you use the d.o. marker and in the other you do not. I'm very confused.

Archive of comments

Please explain in detail Modern Hebrew's usage of את

I'm sure this discussion already exists somewhere here on DL but I can't find it. Will you all please chime in and explain in detail, the usage of the article את It is constantly tripping me up, I'm often getting it wrong- even 9 years into my study of Modern Hebrew. Thank you!

Archive of comments

When do I use את before a word?

rkramer713 wrote:

I've been studying hebrew for about five months now, and it's really bothering me that את is seemingly thrown out into sentences at random. It usually means you, but it seems to be thrown out randomly sometimes before words with the prefix -ה with no effect on the sentence whatsoever. Can someone explain to me when it is used? Thanks.

Archive of comments

If you don't want your post on Duome, please contact me immediately.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Grammar”