Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to Make The Site Disable Motivational Messages by FieryCat

Tips and tricks ...

back4morelater
Great Britain

Re: How to Make The Site Disable Motivational Messages by FieryCat

Post by back4morelater »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:15 pm

back on again today 😕

yes for me too

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Lessons still syncing. A lot of dancing owls. Ouch! I guess every time they update something the animations turn on.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:38 am

... Mr owl was drinking coffee with the Oriental lady. Didn't look right going down his beak.

I think it was a German Lady!

How little I care though.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

back again today 😬

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

today when starting the lesson first thing I notice is the cartoon character (as I have them blocked), I immediately go to the settings and guess what: the animations and motivational messages are on again 🤬 but on the bright side the cartoons were immediately gone after turning them off so I didn't have to block them again

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

LICA98 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:20 pm

today when starting the lesson first thing I notice is the cartoon character (as I have them blocked), I immediately go to the settings and guess what: the animations and motivational messages are on again 🤬 but on the bright side the cartoons were immediately gone after turning them off so I didn't have to block them again

today the same thing happened again, I notice a cartoon character and reload the page immediately... then everything seems to be back to normal again but after doing the lesson I go to the settings and there they have the animations back on again 🤬 tho for some reason I didn't get them when I did the lesson 🤔

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

I could have sworn I turned off motivational messages and animations, but when I checked my profile they were turned back on.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

JudieLC wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:54 am

I could have sworn I turned off motivational messages and animations, but when I checked my profile they were turned back on.

because they turn on automatically every month 😬

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:33 pm
JudieLC wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:54 am

because they turn on automatically every month 😬

Annoying.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

today I went to the settings for another reason and noticed that the messages n animations are back on again... but they haven't actually been displaying 🤔 so I'm not sure whether that switch actually even does anything...

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I turned them off again recently.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ElizabethM827532
Great Britain

Post by ElizabethM827532 »

I used to get annoyed by the animations, but now I really like them. Maybe I'm a lonely person.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

LICA98 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:57 pm

today I went to the settings for another reason and noticed that the messages n animations are back on again... but they haven't actually been displaying 🤔 so I'm not sure whether that switch actually even does anything...

it looks like the switch disappeared from the settings completely now 🤬

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

What I've noticed is that the { Animations, Motivational messages } settings are reset the moment one logs out and then logs in.

@LICA98 : I still have both switches (at least in my eng–ita account).

If the green owl removes them I will have to go through the ad-blocker routine, just as I did on my computer (I've been using a laptop this last months).

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

LICA98 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:12 am

I've still got mine. Are you using desktop or app?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Motivational messages flag is gone from the Web settings.

I'm on the newer profile design with the daily quests.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:39 am
LICA98 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:12 am

I've still got mine. Are you using desktop or app?

the desktop

btw I got an extension from the web store that skips the messages automatically, that way the site is somewhat usable

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dl-settings_se-a-mm.png
dl-settings_se-a-mm.png (12.89 KiB) Viewed 2177 times

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:43 am

Motivational messages flag is gone from the Web settings.

I'm on the newer profile design with the daily quests.

I'm using DL on the Web and have got both the Motivational Messages flag and the daily quests.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Thomas.Heiss What are motivational message flags? What does the new profile look like? The same as @LICA98's picture? I hope it's just an A/B test!

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@Corinnebelle I mean this toggle button ;)

Yeah, like Lica98's screenshot.

Will need to check my "extended user profile" under Firefox (Jsonviewer enabled in about:config) and search for this thing: www.duolingo.com/users/USERNAME if there is any stupid A/B test going on.

It's the same on Chrome Dev, Firefox Nightly both mobile and desktop site, Firefox Nightly on Windows.

Where Chrome@phone additionally shows the speaking exercises toggle button which FF Nightly is missing.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Ok, staff doesn't want it any others...

I copied the second (last) code linked from Fierycat in the main comment - in green - to a Tampermonkey userscript and got it running on Firefox Nightly@Android phone (debug mode, custom collection_id to be able to add Tampermonkey from the Mozilla addon repository).

Had to change it from one to three lines.
Last

Code: Select all

fcss);

thing from

localStorage["duo.state"] = JSON.stringify(fccs); 

was missing when trying to copy that text on the phone from the forum into the Gboard clipboard. Honestly, was a bit more tricky to change that 3rd line on the mobile Tampermonkey editor....layout issues, couldn't easily position the pointer.

Seems to work while leaving the Tampermonkey default new template as it is (function definition), only by changing the script name, correcting the match tag for the

//@match   https://*.duolingo.com/*

Duolingo domain.
Will retry on a Pc and desktop browser.

So if someone desperately needs this and is in the same situation like Lica98 and me (removed toggle button in the settings) we can get it running quick and dirty.
But: Should be created and edited on a Pc, uploaded to a script repository.
That way a mobile browser just has to open the .JS raw file and Tampermonkey can automatically install it on a phone.... much easier that way.

With added debug on the script I will probably see that the duo.state gets gets read and overridden too many times, not only once per Web session or maybe for each question, I'm not sure yet.

Normally we don't need to do it every time....other userscripts setup things like on load(), listener, etc. not to be triggered too often.
Maybe there is a more elegant way to use Fierycat's (green) code above without having to use the default TM template and/or default function (I can probably remove that line on the Pc and try again).

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

For: Web > Chrome/Brave browser. Three easy steps:

1. install Adblock Plus

2. open the Adblock settings page and select the Advanced tab

3. scroll down to the My filter list, and enter the following three filters:

• www.duolingo.com##._3a8EI
    • www.duolingo.com##.F2B9m
    • www.duolingo.com##._1KUxv._1nIKu

Close the Adblock tab.

Once you log into you Duolingo account, you should see that all animated characters are gone.

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍduolingo

Last edited by gmads on Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Yes, I got uBlock Origin running without cartoons in lessons on Firefox Nightly@Android.

But then an empty/black (dark mode, DarkReader) page shows up several times and you first have to hit the green Continue button.
Takes time and further distracts my flow.

There is no way around the Motivational message toggle button and turning it OFF, using the console with the above green code from Fierycat or installing a userscript.

A Chrome extension might also exist...
But then you need Kiwi, Yandex Alpha browsers@Android if no addon is available on the Firefox repository.
There is no full extension support on FF Nightly, less on the normal Firefox version.

If someone can live with seeing an empty page (2-3 times per lesson), well ok, then this (uBO) is also a possibility/workaround.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

gmads wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:57 am

For: Web > Chrome/Brave browser.

Chrome Dev@Android has no extension support.

gmads wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:57 am
  1. install adblock Plus

2. scroll down to the My filter list, and enter the following three filters:

On the Pc I have to re-select each cartoon character on the left and right for the path when using uBO.
Doesn't seem to knock them out all at once.
Looks like each one on the Home/Learn page has a different div/css class so multiple cosmetic filter rules are created.

As I said, to keep the old PT tree I use an older Android app which also has the motivational messages toggle button in the settings.
No annoying cartoons on the Home/Learn tree page, but can't blend them out on V5.52.5 in the lessons without going back to a much older one (if the API is still compatible).

Duolingo life: Zwei Schritte vor, einer zurück.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Yes, that is the case. All the animated snake characters, the animated lesson characters, and the corresponding "motivational" messages within each lesson { are, should be } gone, but the empty motivational page remains. In my case I don't mind it as it is definitely the lesser of all evils. I think there are a couple of browser extensions than may handle them.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

With Adblocker Ultimate you open the extension, than pick block element. Next find the element on the page you want to block, click block similar elements, preview to make sure you got the right one and then click block. Worked for me. My snake is clean. Just wondering will this affect any pictures I want to see like a picture of salt or some other object that I need to label? I just want to block the cartoons.

Edit: I still saw the owl with the motivational message. Just those cartoons at the end are blocked. Yay!

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

The toggle button for the "motivational messages" on the Web portal is back on my account.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

I updated my post with an image that shows how things look after I included only the three referenced filters.

Return to “How to ...”