Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to Make The Site Disable Motivational Messages by FieryCat

Tips and tricks ...

Kelikaku
Israel

How to Make The Site Disable Motivational Messages by FieryCat

Post by Kelikaku »

https://archive.fo/tcamN

Recipe: How to Make The Site Disable Motivational Messages by FieryCat

Currently this command turns off newest motivational messages:

var fccs=JSON.parse(localStorage["duo.state"]);fccs && fccs.browserSettings && (fccs.browserSettings.coachEnabled = false); localStorage["duo.state"] = JSON.stringify(fccs);

Step by step instructions on where to install this (using Vivaldi browser), anyone?

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

LICA98
Finland

Re: How to Make The Site Disable Motivational Messages by FieryCat

Post by LICA98 »

can't you just disable them in the settings? that post is from 2019 when they hadn't added that possibility yet

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:33 pm

... just disable them in the settings? ...

Yes, there is an option to disable the "motivational messages" and also the "animations."

There is an ongoing issue, with the site - the options are reset without any action of the user. So, one day, if a user disables the "motivational messages," by the next day, the setting turns itself back on again. It's been going on for a few years by now, I believe.

So, users are driven into a situation in which the script can circumvent that.

As of last week, complaints in the forum were issued, as to this same situation (so it isn't resolved):

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/56305634

https://web.archive.org/web/20220225043 ... t/56305634

Here's a forum entry from four months ago, with the same issue:
https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/52842744

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

Kelikaku wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:16 pm

There is an ongoing issue, with the site - the options are reset without any action of the user. So, one day, if a user disables the "motivational messages," by the next day, the setting turns itself back on again. It's been going on for a few years by now, I believe.

Works quite happily for me, the vast majority of the time.

Turn them off, save the settings... and next time you visit the site, they're still off. And the next time, and the next etc.

VERY occasionally, they come back on. Oh, well. After that lesson, go back to settings and turn them off again. They're off for months again.

:it: (golden tree)
:fr: (80% golden tree)

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

AdrianC602 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:50 am

Thank you so very much for letting me know this. So that indicates that the issue is not a systemic issue.

Strange, that, this isn't true for every user.
For example, for my case, and at least a few other users, it is every time the person logs in, the options are reset.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

Kelikaku wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:03 am
AdrianC602 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:50 am

Thank you so very much for letting me know this. So that indicates that the issue is not a systemic issue.

Strange, that, this isn't true for every user.
For example, for my case, and at least a few other users, it is every time the person logs in, the options are reset.

I never need to log back in - because I never log out... Whenever I revisit the site, the cookie-saved authentication takes me straight back in.

If you're using it on a public-access computer, then you will obviously need to log out, but not otherwise.

Some people are paranoid about cookies, but there's really no need to be. They simply store information for a particular site. Yes, there are ad tracker cookies, but that's not the case with the DL ones. If you're concerned about ad tracking, use an ad blocker.

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

AdrianC602 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:20 am

... never need to log back in - because I never log out ...

I turn my computer off every so often, so when it is turned back on, the system asks my to log in. I assume that is what you are talking about. Other people, besides me, are possibly not keeping their computers logged on "permanently" or even semi-permanently, (as I do).

In any case, that is a very good point. If only our computers were never turned off, this issue would possibly have never emerged.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

Kelikaku wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:30 am
AdrianC602 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:20 am

... never need to log back in - because I never log out ...

I turn my computer off every so often, so when it is turned back on, the system asks my to log in. I assume that is what you are talking about. Other people, besides me, are possibly not keeping their computers logged on "permanently" or even semi-permanently, (as I do).

In any case, that is a very good point. If only our computers were never turned off, this issue would possibly have never emerged.

Umm, mine is turned off regularly.

Cookies manage the login, and they stay across power cycles.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

now I'm starting to get the same problem that they are turned off for 1 day and the next day they are turned on again :evil:

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

LICA98 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:47 am

now I'm starting to get the same problem that they are turned off for 1 day and the next day they are turned on again :evil:

after I posted this they were turned off for 5 days and now got turned on again :?

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

Mine have switched back on - again - too, both motivational and animations.

I think DL do this whenever they change the actual animations - the new ones seem to be different from what I remember last time this happened...

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:21 am

after I posted this they were turned off for 5 days and now got turned on again :?

now it lasted for a longer period but today this cr@p turned on again :twisted:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]LICA98[/mention] Mine turned on again too. I noticed because my skill circles were animated and I turned it off before I started a lesson.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:51 pm

@LICA98 Mine turned on again too. I noticed because my skill circles were animated and I turned it off before I started a lesson.

damn you're a pro :)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

LICA98 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:37 pm
LICA98 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:21 am

now it lasted for a longer period but today this cr@p turned on again :twisted:

and today again :twisted:😡🤬

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Their back! Had to turn them off again. Mr owl was drinking coffee with the Oriental lady. Didn't look right going down his beak. I don't think coffee's good for owls! And this was in the middle of a lesson. Kind of funny, but I turned it off. I guess it's getting completely gamefied.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

ugh they're back for me too. I woke up and started a lesson, to find an animation that looked like Junior drank something and started dying.

I'm as dry as a mouse.

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

Junior started dying?

Not all bad, then.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Drymice wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:51 am

ugh they're back for me too. I woke up and started a lesson, to find an animation that looked like Junior drank something and started dying.

How awful! :(

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

back again today 😖

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

And they now r back 🗿

I'm as dry as a mouse.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

and again today 🙄

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Had to turn them off twice in the last few days!

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

back again today 🤬 it's like they're enabling them once a month?

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

I did wonder if they came back every time Duo creates a new set that they feel they have to inflict on us

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

LICA98 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:29 am

back again today 🤬 it's like they're enabling them once a month?

now they're back the next day 😡

I went to the settings to disable them, then refreshed the page and they were back on 😱 so I had to turn them off twice (luckily the 2nd time worked)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

internal.duolingo and duolingo.com are no longer syncing. I turned animations off on internal but it did not register on my account on the other. I had to do them both!

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:17 pm

internal.duolingo and duolingo.com are no longer syncing.

That worries me and I can only hope that it does not mean they prepare to remove https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn any time soon. :-( Yesterday, my 5 lingots were doubled after 7 days in a row and I wanted to go to the Shop to purchase this doubling for another week. Unfortunately, it is impossible to open the Shop from internal.duolingo (I have tried many times during yesterday and it cannot be accessed today either), so, I had to open the snake page and from there I got to the Shop immediately. :-( I want the old Duolingo to stay!!! :-(

BTW, I am also one of those who have to switch off motivations messages, sounds and other effects every time they log in, so, it is my daily rutine before starting any lessons.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Gentianopsis[/mention] Here's a link to the shop so you don't have to look at the snake! I hope the lessons still sync so I can view my levels. I use Duome to access the levels via the new tree so I can still use the sentence extension but I click off before I see the snake after my XP are registered.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

back on again today 😕

Return to “How to ...”