Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Difference between web-based and mobile app

taichiman
Hungary

Difference between web-based and mobile app

Post by taichiman »

Hello
there are several important differences between the two interfaces. The web-based application does not have boot XP, hearts like the mobile app. Is this planned to remain so? There are advantages working in front of computer, such as keyboard, large monitor.

GrahamW
Canada

Re: Difference between web-based and mobile app

Post by GrahamW »

I started out (Dec 2017) as a web-only user of Duolingo, for about a year or so. For the last 3 years, I've almost exclusively been an (Android) app user, at least for lessons/practice. The advantages are that I can use the app anywhere (in the yard, on the couch, in bed, etc.) that I have my mobile device, and I don't need to have a computer, keyboard, or large monitor to do lessons/practice. However, I use the computer for almost all other tasks except actually doing a Duolingo lesson/practice, such as accessing doume.eu and writing this post. I am puzzled by some of the differences between web and app, but none that really concern me. Oh, except that I can't easily "follow" a Sentence Discussion in the app. A "follow" button there would be useful.

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

I use Duolingo only at my mobile / tablet, but in the browser, so I use the web-based version. Personally I prefer the web-based version.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Julian68953
United States of America

Post by Julian68953 »

I honestly like the web based app WAY better because 1. There are forums (not for long sadly) 2. No hearts, which is GREAT. 3. Not as much ads.
And even more... ;)

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

App - game-focussed
Website - learning-focussed

Choose one, because they ain't compatible.

:it: (golden tree)
:fr: (80% golden tree)

eI000yo

Post by eI000yo »

There are several Duolingo versions:

• Two web-based versions, a Desktop one and a Mobil version.
    Mobil version is default on small windows, even on PCs.
    You can usually switch to Desktop on tablets and phones.
    Some things are not displayed, for example, the forum flags. Only the streak is visible.

• Three apps: iOS, Android and Windows.
    The Windows app is very old and no more updated. You can install it on a recent Windows version, not on Windows 7. It does not have the crown system.

Apps are related to the operating system. If you have an old version of Android, Duolingo will also install an old version.

Finally, Duolingo has a lot of A/B tests or Experiments.
Each account has different ones.
New characteristics are usully tested first on iOS.
Accounts associated to a Duolingo for Schools don't have experiments.

According to https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... re-Hearts-

What about other platforms?

Hearts are currently available to Android and iOS users. We do not currently have plans to bring this to Web.

But…

You can switch from one platform to another with no problems.
A cell phone can have the app installed, and you can also use the web, but usually you will
need to configure a few things.

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

eI000yo wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:26 pm

There are several Duolingo versions:

• Two web-based versions, a Desktop one and a Mobil version.
    Mobil version is default on small windows, even on PCs.
    You can usually switch to Desktop on tablets and phones.
    Some things are not displayed, for example, the forum flags. Only the streak is visible.

It's the same thing. It's just slightly reformatted according to screen resolution.

eI000yo

Post by eI000yo »

AdrianC602 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:36 pm

It's the same thing. It's just slightly reformatted according to screen resolution.

Desktop versionMobile version
![desktop](https://i.postimg.cc/fyC8SJdV/Screensho ... 202108.png)![mobile](https://i.postimg.cc/Y2znsyPt/Screensho ... 202228.png)

Some web pages use an html document with a CSS. Threre are usually three versions: desktop, mobile and print versions.
If you prefer to say views, that's fine too.
But sometimes they are quite different.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

superessedi wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:33 am

The web version (mobile web too) has Tips. The app has not.

The app version has tips, too, although mainly in the first half of the course. That is really weird, that you see tips on the web and not on the app???

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

eI000yo

Post by eI000yo »

There is an other difference, several browser extensions that add new features and new options.
It is very easy to add them on PC. Maybe it is possible to add them, some of them, on a cell phone, but you'll need a special browser.
A list of extensions at viewtopic.php?t=42

Stasia wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:55 pm

That is really weird, that you see tips on the web and not on the app???

The courses are developed by different people with different patterns.
You can see some tips here on duome https://duome.eu/tips

GdeB

Post by GdeB »

AdrianC602 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:10 pm

App - game-focussed
Website - learning-focussed

Choose one, because they ain't compatible.

I would respectfully disagree. I started out using the website, but switched at the start of 2021 to using the iOS app more, and it has accelerated my learning. One of the biggest things in its favour is allowing audio input to a lot of the exercises (the writing ones too, not just the specific speaking ones) and it has reallt built my confidence in speaking spanish. Plus I have my phone with me everywhere so I can spend more time studying.

So not sure why anyone would dismiss the app as game-focussed??

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

GdeB wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:27 am

So not sure why anyone would dismiss the app as game-focussed??

Hearts - these actively dissuade non-Plus users from doing lessons, especially given the owl keeps reassuring us we learn from mistakes.
XP boosts - encouragement to repeat easy content to farm XP, rather than stretch yourself with new content.

If your browser is compatible, you can do audio exercises on the website, too - but the parsing is notoriously awful for both.

You can use the website on your phone, too, so there's no portability advantage.

GdeB

Post by GdeB »

I'm a plus user and I'm happy to pay for great content, so the hearts aren't an issue.

Don't like the XP boosts? Don't use them. I don't, there's more than enough content to stretch myself with.

I find the parsing on the app great - in fact i get fewer spelling mistakes when dictating than I do when writing as I have fat fingers.

I don't really think either is better but to write off the app as just a game feels weirdly dismissive. Enjoy both.

Hallumir
Canada

Post by Hallumir »

I don't think that XP boosts necessarily encourage people to farm easy lessons. When I get them, I continue with whatever lesson I was going to do next regardless. XP boosts sometimes even motivate me to continue that day when I was not going to.

There is little difference between the website and app versions. For each of you calling the app a game, I can find another language learning elitist who considers Duolingo in its entirety a counterproductive game, website or app notwithstanding.

TL 🇵🇱 🇺🇦

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

I didn't call the app a game. I said the app was game-focussed, in comparison to the website.

And it is.

Yes, you can pay to avoid one of the biggest aspects of that. Or you can avoid it for free on the exact same device.

Chess
Greece

Post by Chess »

isn't there also a app for computers on the Microsoft store? :?:

check and mate

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

Chess wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:38 pm

Yes... but...

It's ANCIENT, and should have been removed from there by DL years ago. It was last updated in 2014.

eI000yo

Post by eI000yo »

Chess wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:38 pm

You can get it at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/duoli ... verviewtab

Minimum
Your device must meet all minimum requirements to open this product
OS Windows 10 version 10240.0 or higher, Windows 8 Mob

I used it a year ago. You'll need a Microsoft account, if I'm not mistaken.
It was just a try, as an experiment. It is a very old version for Microsoft Mobile Phones but it works on Windows 10 or higher.
It doesn't have the crown system, btw.
You have to be aware that you could risk your streak. I didn't care, but I think it uses the old rules. You have to achieve the daily goal. I lost a day.

Return to “Random Thoughts”