Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The New Double XP timer

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Saperlipopette!

The New Double XP timer

Post by Saperlipopette! »

The New Double XP Timer

Duolingo changed a few things about the double XP Timers you get for doing an early bird or a night owl lesson. If you complete a lesson on the App between 6am and 12pm, you get an Early Bird award that you can use between 6pm and 12 am that evening. If you complete a lesson between 6pm and 12am on the App, you can use the Night Owl award the next morning between 6am and 12pm.

When you complete your first lesson in these times, you are notified of the award with a pop-up like you see in Exhibit One or Two.

Exhibit One

Notice that these notifications are not the same as what we got on Monday, or last week, or before that.

Exhibit Two

If you click on the store in the app, info on the timers are available in the special offers section. See Exhibit Three. Here's where you can claim your rewards when it's time to or see when you can use them.

Exhibit Three

The reward is a fifteen minute double XP timer. Traditionally, any lesson you start under the timer would get double XP.

Duolingo added a new wrinkle to the timers. If you get one three days in a row, you get the Biggest Boost. See Exhibits Two and Four making this promise.

Exhibit Four

You claim this Biggest Boost the same way you claimed the other boosts, by clicking in the store. After clicking in the store, you get a pop-up like Exhibit Five, telling you it's a thirty-minute boost-- then you click continue and it's on. It used to be that any lesson you start from then for the next thirty minutes gets double XP. I'm not so sure it works like that anymore.

Exhibit Five

At this point, I try to do as many hearts practices as I can under the timer. Hearts practice, as we've seen, will generally pick one guilded skill in your path and give you sixteen questions from that skill. Birdbrain picks the skills, so you're not nerfing things by picking all easy skills or skills you are comfortable with.

Unfortunately, the timers end with a whimper. If you try to do a lesson when the timer is over, it waits, waits, waits, then gives you the next lesson without you knowing whether or not it's under the timer. Usually, if you have to wait like that you figure that lesson is not under the timer.

What I'd like for the timers is for them to have their own summary sheet like the first-four-lessons-of-the day-on-the-app summary. Exhibit Six is an example of the first-four-lesson-grader.

Exhibit Six

Exhibit Seven is my markup of the the type of summary page we should get when the timer is done. A report on what we've done & how we've done.

Exhibit Seven

Early Bird Chest

Special Reward Report

March 16, 2023
21:15-21:42

Time & XPSkillScoreTime
21:42:04 · 30XP7.04 Old Flames945:45
21:36:09 · 28XP7.08 Mystery885:58
21:30:02 · 30XP6.14 Memories 2944:50
21:25:02 · 30XP3.24 Weather1003:40
21:21:10 · 30XP7.02 Let's Eat945:54
30:00 • 178 XP6 lessons9526:07

I did a lesson right after Old Flames & only got 15 XP. By my estimation, it should have fallen under the timer. There are no rules on how things work with Duolingo, so we have to figure out whether it's a bug or whether I'm missing something in my calculations.

There's usually a ten to fifteen second delay between lessons, which still doesn't explain why the next lesson didn't count.

The focus of lessons that I do under the timers is oral production. Writing and reading are the focus of new lessons and web lessons on Duolingo. Although these is some listening practice in Duolingo, I listen to YouTube's for that from other sources. Some are authentic sources and some are more scripted presentations from online professors. There's value in all of them.

Il y a anguille sur roche concernant la presentation de mark-up code dans ce forum.

Return to “Duolingo”