Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Ultimate guide to particle の

Moderator: Explorer

Fnirk1
Sweden

[ARCHIVE] Ultimate guide to particle の

Post by Fnirk1 »

Originally posted by: KeithWong9 https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/34588859

So you only know is a \"possessive" particle, and when coming across Duolingo's Tree 2.0, starts appearing everywhere? Here is my ultimate guide on .

I have seen many questions around the use of in the sentences forum, so I decided to make my guide on and later link it to those questions. I am making this guide into short and long versions. So hopefully TL;DR type of people can read the beginning, while nerds can check the latter part also.

Short version

Generally, can mean one of the followings:

• possessive - AB is translated to "A's B" or "B of A." There can be flexible translations, see examples.
    *私(わたし)カバン - My bag
    *夏(なつ)夜(よる) - Summer night (or a night in summer)
    *東京(とうきょう)街(まち)- Street/Town in Tokyo
    * 九月(くがつ)中旬(ちゅうじゅん) - Middle September
    * マリア先生(せんせい)授業(じゅぎょう) - Teacher Maria's class

• property - AB can mean A is a property/trait of B.
    *友達(ともだち)田中(たなか)さん - My friend, Mr. Tanaka

• 緑(みどり)シャツ - A green shirt
      *金(きん)玉(たま) - A golden ball
      *誕生日(たんじょうび)プレゼント - A birthday present (or a present for birthday)
      * 新宿(しんじゅく)へ電車(でんしゃ) - A train heading to Shinjuku
      *五時(ごじ)までセール - A bargain sale until 5 o'clock
      *たくさん人(ひと) - A large number of people

• Marks the subject in a subordinate (adjectival) clause.
    *背(せ)高(たか)い人 - A tall person. We can replace with が. 背が高い人.
    *花(はな)咲(さ)くころ - The time when flowers blossom. = 花が咲くころ.

• Acting as a noun - It appears as "a noun + " or "a clause + ." We call the latter "nominalizing" the clause. acts as an arbitrary noun. In translation we normally make the verb in the clause a gerund.
    *私(わたし)は走(はし)るが上手(じょうず)です - I am strong at running. の = こと and it makes the verb 走る as a noun.

• 写真(しゃしん)を撮(と)るをやめてください - Please stop taking pictures. の = こと and it makes the clause 写真を撮る a noun.
      *このペンは田中(たなか)さんです - This pen is Tanaka's. の = のもの or のペン and we omit the noun because it is repetitive.
      *私(わたし)を使(つか)ってください - Please use mine. の = のもの
      *黒(くろ)いがいいよ - The black one is good, you know. の = ほう
      *昨日(きのう)買(か)っただめだ。- The one bought yesterday is not good. の = ほう
      * 事故(じこ)にあったから、遅刻(ちこく)したす - の = わけ. のrepresents causes/effects and can be replaced by ん. 遅刻したんです
      *遅刻(ちこく)したで、先生(せんせい)に怒(おこ)られました。 - Yes,ので is particle + particle and の = わけ, stating the previous clause is a reason.

• Casual question marker. at the end of the sentence and with a rising intonation.
    *これ、何(なん)っていう- How do we call this?
    *今日(きょう)は休(やす)みな- Is today a day off?

• Casual affirmative or imperative marker mostly used by female. at the end of the sentence and with a falling intonation.
    *今日(きょう)は休(やす)みな - Today is a day off.
    * 遊(あそ)んでないで勉強(べんきょう)する - Don't play and do study.

Long version

の has many usages so explanations have to be long. Firstly, prerequisites:

What types of particles does の belong to

There are 4 main types of particles

1. 格助詞(かくじょし) Case markers - These mainly attach to nouns to mark a relationship of the noun to the sentence.
    2.接続助詞(せつぞくじょし Conjunctive particles - These attach to clauses suggest the relationship between the previous clause and the latter part of the sentence.
  2. 副助詞(ふくじょし) Adverbial particles - These attach to many types of words to act as an adverb.
  3. 終助詞(しゅうじょし Sentence ending particles - These attach to the end of the sentence to add a certain meaning or mood to the sentence.

の is mainly a 格助詞 (case marker) and can be a 終助詞 (sentence ending particle) as well.

の [/size]as a 格助詞 (case marker)

There are 5 cases "格" [/size]that の can represent. We will look at them one by one.

1. 連体修飾格(れんたいしゅうしょくかく) - binding nouns to nouns
  2. 主格(しゅかく) - marking subjects
  3. 同格(どうかく) - "apposition"
  4. 体格(じゅんたいかく)- acting as a noun.
  5. 連用修飾格(れんようしゅうしょくかく) - binding nouns to verbs/clauses

連体修飾格 (binding nouns to nouns)

The majority of の usages is to bind a noun to another. The usages are further categorized below.

1. To show possession: 私(わたし)カバン - My bag; 田中(たなか)さんベッド - Mr. Tanaka's bed
  2. To show association: 会社(かいしゃ)一員(いちいん) - A member of the company; 病院(びょういん)先生(せんせい) - A doctor of the hospital
  3. To show the location of a noun: 東京(とうきょう)街(まち)A town in Tokyo; 日本(にほん)友達(ともだち) - A friend in Japan
  4. To show the time of a noun: 九月(くがつ)旬(ちゅうじゅん) - Middle September;夏(なつ)(うみ) - The sea in summer
  5. To show the author or actor of a noun: 校長(こうちょう)話(はなし) - Head master's words; マリア先生(せんせい)授業(じゅぎょう) - Teacher Maria's class
  6. To show relationship of a noun: 友達(ともだち)田中(たなか)さん - My friend, Mr. Tanaka; おすすめ一品(いっぴん) A dish of today's special
  7. To show the status or property of a noun: 緑(みどり)シャツ - A green shirt; 閉店中(へいてんちゅう)スーパー - A closed supermarket; 五時(ごじ)までセール - A bargain sale until 5 o'clock; 新宿(しんじゅく)へ電車(でんしゃ) - A train heading to Shinjuku
  8. To show the material used: 金(きん)玉(たま) - A golden ball; 石(いし)像(ぞう) - A stone statue
  9. To show the name of the noun: 三河(みかわ)国(くに) - Mikawa Province; 「その山(やま)を富士(ふじ)(やま)とは名(な)づけける」〈竹取〉 - That mountain was called Mountain Fuji;
  10. To show the quantity or ranking: たくさん人(ひと) - A large number of people; 三枚(さんまい)写真(しゃしん) - Three pieces of photograph
  11. To show the object/target of the action noun: 犬(いぬ)散歩(さんぽ) - A walk with the dog; 家(いえ)建築(けんちく) - Building of a house
  12. To show the purpose of the noun: 誕生日(たんじょうび)プレゼント - A birthday present; 東京(とうきょう)まで特急券(とっきゅうけん) - The super express ticket bound for Tokyo
  13. To express a metaphor: 花(はな)都(みやこ) - A city like a flower; 閃光(せんこう)アスナ - Asuna like lightning (search for Sword Art Online on this); 「ただ春(はる)の夜(よる)の夢(ゆめ)ごとし」〈平家〉 - It is like a dream of a night in spring.

主格(しゅかく) (marking subjects)

の can be used to mark a subject in an adjectival clause. The subject can be marked by が as well.

• 背(せ)高(たか)い人 - A tall person. We can also say 背が高い人.
  • 花(はな)咲(さ)くころ - The time when flowers blossom. We can also say 花が咲くころ.
  • 私(わたし)作(つく)ったケーキです。 - It is the cake that I made. We can also say 私が作ったケーキです。
  • それは雨(あめ)降(ふ)る、 寒(さむ)い晩(ばん)のことでした。- That happened on a raining cold night. We can also say それは雨が降る、 寒い晩のことでした。
  • 「月(つき)出(い)でたらむ夜(よる)」〈竹取〉 - A night where the moon is in the sky

同格(どうかく) (apposition)

の can also be used to describe a noun as an equivalent of another noun equivalent, usually a noun phrase. This construct is less commonly seen. We can use で to replace the の in this case.

• 猫(ねこ)白(しろ)い方(ほう)を飼(か)いたい。 - I want to adopt a cat which is white in color. We can also say 猫で白い方を飼いたい。 or 白い猫を飼いたい。
  • ジュース冷(ひ)えたのが欲(ほ)しい。 - I want a juice which is chilled. We can also say ジュースで冷えたのが欲しい。 or 冷えたジュースが欲しい。
  • 「白(しろ)き鳥(とり)の,嘴(はし)と脚(あし)と赤(あか)き、鴫(しぎ)の大(おほ)きさなる」〈伊勢〉 - A white bird, which has a red beak and feet, and the size of a sandpiper.

準体格(じゅんたいかく) (acting as a noun)

の acts as a noun when it is placed after a noun or adjectival clause, but without a following noun. ("a noun + の" or "a clause + の") Generally people refer the latter as "nominalizing" the adjectival clause.

Examples of the pattern "a noun + の,"

• 私(わたし)を使(つか)ってください - Please use mine. の = のもの: 私のものを使ってください
  • このペンは田中(たなか)さんです - This pen is Tanaka's. の = のもの or のペン and we omit the noun because it is repetitive: このペンは田中さんのものです

Examples of the pattern "a clause + の,"

• 私(わたし)は走(はし)るが上手(じょうず)です。 - I am strong at running. の = こと and it makes the verb 走る as a noun. 私は走ることが上手です。
  • 写真(しゃしん)を撮(と)るをやめてください。 - Please stop taking pictures. の = こと and it makes the clause 写真を撮る a noun. 写真を撮ることをやめてください 。
  • 鳥(とり)が空(そら)を飛(と)んでいるを見(み)ました。 - I saw a bird flying in the sky. の = ところ. 鳥が空を飛んでいるところを見ました。

There is a group of usages which is a derivation of this rule. の is in place of わけ, which represents a cause or a consequence. の can be replaced by ん in colloquial form.

• 事故(じこ)にあったから、遅刻(ちこく)したです - の = わけ. 遅刻したわけです. の can be replaced by ん in colloquial form: 遅刻したんです.
  • 遅刻(ちこく)したで、先生(せんせい)に怒(おこ)られました。 - ので is particle の + particle で and の = わけ, stating the previous clause is a reason.遅刻したわけで. 遅刻したんで.

There is a rarely used case: …の…の is used to list examples, similar to the construct \…や…や. …の…ないの using the same adjective can mean that the degree of the adjective is extreme. These examples are usually used with a negative sense.

• やかましいうるさいと文句(もんく)ばかり言(い)う - Keeps complaining that it is noisy and annoying.
  • 痛(いた)い痛(いた)くないって涙(なみだ)が出(で)てきたよ - It was so painful that my tears came out.

連用修飾格(れんようしゅうしょくかく) (binding nouns to verbs/clauses)

Historically の was also used to bind nouns to verbs/adjectives/adverbs but this usage is no longer in modern Japanese. This usage was mainly seen in poems to express a metaphor.

• 「紫草(むらさき)匂(にほ)へる妹(いも)」〈万葉〉 - My sweetheart with a scent of purple gromwell.
  • 「秋風(あきかぜ)にあへず散(ち)りぬるもみぢ葉(ば)ゆくへさだめぬ我(われ)ぞかなしき」〈古今〉 - Just as the red leaves which are not able to stand the autumn wind and fall off, I, who have no clear way in front, am really sad.

の as a 終助詞 (sentence ending particle)

の can be used at the end of a sentence to form either an affirmative sentence or a question. These are mainly casual usages (not used with です/ます). These usages are perhaps derived from the usage where の is used to act as a noun (準体格), since の can be replaced by another noun in these cases just like what we have seen in the examples above.

As a question ending marker

The intonation rises when の is used as a question ending marker.

*これ、何(なん)っていう? - How do we call this? (Polite form: これは何というのですか。 - の=わけ)

• 今日(きょう)は休(やす)みな? - Is today a day off? (Polite form: 日は休みなのですか。 - の=わけ)

As an affirmative ending marker

The intonation drops when の is used as an affirmative ending marker. Mainly used by female.

One usage is a plain affirmative ending - it gives a childish impression.

• 今日(きょう)は休(やす)みな。- Today is a day off. (Polite form: 今日は休みなのです。 - の=わけ)
  • 聞(き)きたいことがある。- I have something to ask. (Polite form: 聞きたいことがあるのです。 - の=わけ)

Another usage is to order someone usually a child to do something.

• 遊(あそ)んでないで勉強(べんきょう)する。 - Don't play and do study. の=こと. (Polite form: 遊んでないで勉強してください。)
  • 余計(よけい)なことを言(い)わない。 - Don't say extra things. の=こと. (Polite form: 余計なことを言(い)わないでください。)

Reference

Return to “Language”