Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Dych chi'n hoffi'r gŵydd a'r iâr?

Shaevor
Germany

Post by Shaevor »

Why is it gŵydd instead of ŵydd? According to wiktionary, the word gŵydd with the meaning of "goose" is female, so I thought it needs a soft mutation after "'r".
Is it actually male (in some dialects), or is there some grammatical aspect going on that I'm not aware of?

val
Wales

Re: Dych chi'n hoffi'r gŵydd a'r iâr?

Post by val »

According to gweiadur.com gŵydd is feminine when it means goose, but masculine when it means presence or face.
(I am only a learner...).
So it's possible that where you typed the question is simply confused...

AnomalousCowherd
Great Britain

Re: Dych chi'n hoffi'r gŵydd a'r iâr?

Post by AnomalousCowherd »

I was doing a bit of half-baked research on this, and the consensus seems to be that "all feminine nouns mutate after yr, except the ones that don't". I've seen scholarly papers which use y gŵydd, and others which use yr wydd. Welsh Twitterverse seems to use both. I asked one Welsh friend and got one answer, and another Welsh friend and got the other.

I'm tempted to invite them both into a chat and ask them the same question again. It's always fun to watch them argue about Proper Welsh. :twisted:

Return to “Welsh”