Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What's your new game plan?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Corinnebelle

What's your new game plan?

Post by Corinnebelle »

Now that the snake has been forced upon us, what's your new game plan? I have found myself doing a few lessons with the wordbank on, on the Duome tree and a couple of strengthen exercises with the wordbank off as well. Since I have done the whole course once, hopefully the strengthen will eventually get to the place where there's content I don't know well yet. It's picked up a lot of stuff I have forgotten which is good. On the other hand, I'm bored by the limit of choices due to the snake not letting me access later lessons.

Duolingo has an obsession with apple תפוח and I אני.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Re: What's your new game plan

Post by PtolemysXX »

I continue learning on the tree using mostly an old Android App or the same App on an Android emulator on the PC. Should Duolingo destroy that backdoor one day it will by my last day with Duolingo. In the meantime I am preparing for that by trying to complete all the courses I started and make flashcard decks with vocabulary for applications like ANKI. Maybe I'll make sentence flashcards too or for some languages where it makes sense sentence pattern flashcards (e.g. Chinese, Korean). That is the long term plan. In the meantime I still enjoy the tree, I would be willing to pay for a"super" subscription if Duolingo committed to not break the old interface. The "one path" is a no-go.

Last edited by PtolemysXX on Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

everything but duolingo :P

buho

Post by buho »

doing 1 chapter on busuu everyday

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Like [mention]PtolemysXX[/mention], I also still work on the tree via an unapdated Android app. (I even had a nightmare once about accidentally updating the app on my phone and seeing the snake. I was very happy in the morning that it was only a dream).

Duolingo does not offer languages that are my primary learning goal (Quechua now/Aymara planned), so if the tree app becomes unusable, I'll say sayonara to Duolingo, and that will be the end of me formally learning French and Ukrainian (French being the main language I've been practicing on Duolingo, Ukrainian more of a side gig). I will continue actively using French (movies, news sites, books, forums, email), so ending Duolingo should not be a big deal in this regard.

I honestly don't have as much incentive to keep learning Ukrainian as I pretty much understand it already. :lol: But who knows, when the tree app stops working, maybe I'll decide to keep up my Duolingo streak and actually finish the Ukrainian course on the stupid snake.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Deleted User 4833

Re: What's your new game plan?

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

Doing Duolingo and supplementing it with my daily free allotment of Mondly and Language Drops. And I picked up Mango through my library.

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

I don't know... I've been testing all the other apps/sites, but sadly none of them seem to be a good replacement. Either they're not teaching much, or they're spammy and annoying, or only a few lessons are free, or they're all over the place, not slowly introducing new concepts, etc etc etc.

Sadly, even the horrid snake is still the best option out there. I wish the competition would step up their game, because sticking around just for a streak and hoping to learn something isn't very fun.

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but refusing to pay for the snake makes it hard :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image. 🇳🇴 Legendary is finally completed again.

Deleted User 3754

Post by Deleted User 3754 »

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

well I stopped using the old format already last year when I got the change so I don't really mind it

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

I got used to the snake and am quite comfortable with it now. I like the variety within each session and from what I've heard and read there's no other app out there bringing such an amount of content and different learning approaches within one app like Duolingo. In addition I like the training hub which since yesterday gives me direct access to the stories as well.

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

Deleted User 4833

I don't have as much of a problem with the snake as I do with the fact that Tips & Notes were replaced with "Guidebooks" containing "Key Phrases". I find the Guidebooks pretty much useless, especially in Arabic, as there are no explanations or breaking down of what the words in the key phrases mean literally. One thing that Mango does is provide those explanations.

In spite of that, I seem to be learning some Arabic from Duolingo, probably by repetition of the same (or similar) phrases and word over and over again. But I am not learning much about grammar or sentence construction/patterns. That's where the other programs I am using to supplement my learning help me.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

I'm very happy with the snake, I don't have to think about my progression but still having the possibility of some variation with revisions, speaking or listening exercises, or even match madness.

As I was using a waterfall progression on trees, I was not so disturbed when I was switched to path, except that I progressed to level 5 and the path progresses up to level 3 on first phase, and most probably to level 5 on second phase. I'm keeping the legendary levels for the third and final phase.

I'm now halfway on the Turkish path. The guidebooks sucks and the course would be very hard and bad if there weren't sentence discussions and tips archives (but that's true for most courses but the main ones).

JudieLC wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:32 pm

In spite of that, I seem to be learning some Arabic from Duolingo, probably by repetition of the same (or similar) phrases and word over and over again. But I am not learning much about grammar or sentence construction/patterns.

You'll learn some grammar and sentence patterns eventually, but this course is way too short for such an important language.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:57 am

... the possibility of some variation with revisions ...

What practices do you do for revision? I find the snake offers less control over what you can do, so I resort to "Practice To Earn Hearts" in the app. The result is that I don't know what I'm going to be offered to practice and I have little confidence that Duo is providing me what I need. For example, I'd completed significantly more Skills in French than German (and I know French far better), yet I get provided with very basic exercises in French and significantly more complex ones in German, which I struggle with. I wouldn't mind if it was the other way round, because my French could handle it.

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

GrahamW wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:33 am

What practices do you do for revision?

I do Listen, Speak or Target Practice in the Practice tab.

I do them when requested by the daily quests, or if I'm the middle of two steps, or if I just want variation. I found out that even the speaking exercice are very varied and useful to review words and concepts.

Maybe the main point is that I decided to trust the science behind the Duolingo method to learn a language without hassle.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

I'm not sure if I would have managed or bothered continuing Polish on Duo without the old Duo system and forum help when I first started, but I still find Duo useful now, whatever the new format. Even when just levelling up or dabbling with another language, the streak thing et al gives me a reason to login and do a language lesson. Then I'll maybe wonder whether a particular word is related to another word, and what it sounds like, and then I'll maybe start looking it up in more detail and looking for examples because I'm online anyway - that sort of thing. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hi all,

I)

I don't have any plan for my corrupted En<-Pt reverse tree which was huge and based on CEFR.
Had a longer break but I won't be able to come back to it with everything removed (web free typing in PT, userscript support) or damaged progress (different progress, can't catch up with recently added L0 crown skills before my break, will probably be misplaced, can't simply continue where I left).

Of course reverse trees don't make any sense without Camilo's TreeEnhancer audio userscript for Tampermonkey.
Seemed to partly work, but the settings button is not shown on the new snake.
Firefox Nightly of course still has stored the local config file with added enhanced tree and reverse tree support configuration; worked on www-internal before. Only partly works now.

Don't want to use the mobile app and miss the PT audio or typing.

II)

My only plan is to use the old Android V5.52.5 app for Portuguese (from English) as long as I can to work on higher crown levels and more difficult verb tense stuff, Subjunctive (we have four dedicated skills in the original tree) and reviewing some grammar skills like Contractions 1-4, Demonstratives,...

III)

Maybe I'll start the German->French course on that V5.52.5 app and work through the course in the tree format.

It's similarly structured by former volunteer contributor team with a heavier grammar/verb tense focus and detailed Web Tips&Notes like my Portuguese course.

In general I'm NOT a big fan of tapping or over using my native German language.

IV)

As my two very old Laptops broke down and the website was damaged for old hardware and Firefox V52.x in 2019 by staff I'm currently focused on the Android app on a nice Redmi Note 10 Pro (6.67" Oled / Super Amoled screen) by Xiaomi which I got in summer 2021.

• Played around with a borrowed Siemens Gigaset phone before for several months but it was significantly smaller.

• Display size really matters here!

• An Oled screen with max 1300 nits is much better to read outdoors in bright daylight and when sun is hitting the screen.

• Also with that 6.67" screen I don't get 3+ prefilled word blocks in the answer field.

• Might be version dependend but with introduced cartoons characters and limited height it usually was worse compared to when I quick tested it over all the years or on an Android emulator (even Landscape mode had that issue).

• That was another reason trying to avoid the Android app because earlier (on other - incl. much earlier V3.x - app versions) often the FULL solution was given away for long and complex sentences and ALL word banks were auto-filled into the answer field without asking me or letting me think about it (no tapping, no typing).
    I'm kinda astonished this was changed once again and I don't run into that specific issue in my Portuguese course.

• full typing (or voice dictation) works randomly here and there even on L2 crown level (the hard limit is NOT L3+ crowns for this like we used to know)

• VTT/STT (voice dictation) works better with Gboard in the app than on Firefox Nightly, dunno why.
    Browsers make more dictation errors.
    Sometimes the successfully dictated sentence (PT, EN,..) gets changed into some nonsense and non-existent words...I have not found a way to change that behavior, sadly to say.

I somehow wish I could go back to an earlier Android app version which doesn't show cartoons on the screen - wasting empty space, forcing unnecessary line breaks of text, limiting height - and app functionality not being much worse than the current app version I'm using right now.

Q: Is this possible? Which one do you use or can you suggest? One older version which still supports crown levels (so can't be later than summer/autumn 2018) with random typing support at L2 crown level.

V)

I'm stuck on Busuu French A2 and don't want to do all the speaking/writing community lessons.
But without having a Premium account anymore I'm forced into them and later lessons are LOCKED.
Can't continue anymore.
So I'm just reviewing older A1 and A2 Busuu lessons which are completed already.

VI)

Had shifted over to LingoLegend for French until the new video ads hit me in Learning mode end of December (app updates), also during the night (dark mode, 1000K blue light filtering, annoying sound of third party ads and games).
Will continue to use it occasionally.
A lot of content is there in French.
The 1-2 letter word builder is . more difficult than Duolingo word banks.

VII)

Busuu was some fun during my first French year, as I had written in my review in the "app benchmarks" thread, but is so quickly paced.
So I'm still searching for proper ways to restart with French from scratch more slowly.

VIII)

Still haven't started with Mosalingua (full language bundle from Black Friday).

I'm a bit scared of word SRS reviews on the app at the moment; don't want to do them daily right now and be forced into reviews.
Too much going on in personal life for this...

Maybe I'll try out MosaSeries French or MosaSpeak modules... Premium app got some support added for it.
That was the main reason I wanted to get this offer.
And all the 50+ dialogues with SRS flashcard support.

IX)

To keep it light, I added for now the "365 daily Mondly French lessons" to my routine.
I'll probably wade through the full Mondly French tree and topics there if I find the nerves.

Still haven't completed the extra module lessons and speaking lessons for Portuguese on the Mondly app (or app).
It's the blue icon at the top right side.
French or English contain even more extra topic/lessons than Portuguese ;)

X)

Would gladly lean back and focus on the PASSIVE learning side, instead of too much clicking.

• Mango is not accessible.
    Need to pay extra single/all courses...Busuu was cheaper.

• Pimsleur Premium app asks for 22€/month and Podcast misses flashcards and Premium review games.

• Rocket French has three separate levels, not so cheap either. You need to pay for each one.

XI)

We'll see.....will probably keep my eyes open for Fluyo from Ikenna which Kickstarter launches end of March, but only for early alpha/beta testers.

Got an announcement email already and didn't invite anyone.

So make sure to sign up on Kickstarter if you want to be notified.
No idea how many free slots there will be...

I heard Ikenna is launching with French too.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Tue May 30, 2023 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Deleted User 4833

FurbyZeKat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:57 am

I'm very happy with the snake, I don't have to think about my progression but still having the possibility of some variation with revisions, speaking or listening exercises, or even match madness.

As I was using a waterfall progression on trees, I was not so disturbed when I was switched to path, except that I progressed to level 5 and the path progresses up to level 3 on first phase, and most probably to level 5 on second phase. I'm keeping the legendary levels for the third and final phase.

I'm now halfway on the Turkish path. The guidebooks sucks and the course would be very hard and bad if there weren't sentence discussions and tips archives (but that's true for most courses but the main ones).

JudieLC wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:32 pm

In spite of that, I seem to be learning some Arabic from Duolingo, probably by repetition of the same (or similar) phrases and word over and over again. But I am not learning much about grammar or sentence construction/patterns.

You'll learn some grammar and sentence patterns eventually, but this course is way too short for such an important language.

Agreed.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

I use hearts and dumbbell practice a lot. This week I kept detailed stats on what I got. I didn't plan to write anything about it, but it seems people are wondering about practice in the snake here, so here's my two cents on that.

Duolingo should keep these detailed stats, or at least pass the info to Duome who does it better than Duo. But Duo would rather focus on mandatory A1 level grammar tips for all.

This week I used hearts or Dumbbell practice about ninety times. Add in the ten new lessons I did, which were all from the old Unit 9, and that makes a total of 101 lessons done this week.

Almost all of the hearts or Dumbbell practices I did this week were 16 questions from one guilded skill. At 1:56 am March 11 I got 14 of the 16 questions from the skill Bad Day and two from the new skill athletics that I recently got to Level 1.

Usually you'll get a few like that a week. The fact that I only got one this week was just luck of the draw. Hearts or Dumbbell practice is predominantly a one-skill practice, though.

If you break it down by unit, it would be this
Unit 1, 5. Unit 2, 11. Unit 3, 13. Unit 4, 16. Unit 5, 8. Unit 6, 15. Unit 7, 9. Unit 8, 15. In general it rounds off to around ten sets of questions from each unit, 2 through 8.

That's fair enough for taille-unique selection of units. Duo says it personizes it's lessons, but it doesn't. It doesn't seem to lean more heavily on the higher units. The Old checkpoint practices were useful if you wanted to target a specific set of lessons. Unfortunately, no one but me & a few others used it. Duo took it off the tree in Jan 2022, and chose not to incorporate that function into the snake.

I used checkpoint practice a lot in 2021 and 2022 to get all of the old unit 4 and Unit 5 to legendary.

It would be great if Duolingo added the skill practiced to go along with the time stamp and XP done for each lesson, so the Duome bar chart 2 in Exhibit Twos could have some meaning. But Duolingo thinks it's users would prefer to see the characters mouths moving with spoken words.

The details for the week are attached as a supporting exhibit.

Exhibit One

Time • XPSkillSnake
404 XPMarch 11, 202314 leçons
20:57:45 · 38XP5.06 Weather 265-5, 66-2, 67-2
20:53:35 · 40XP8.08 Studying 2125-2, 126-1, 126-6
20:47:35 · 40XP5.19 Dining Out74-3, 75-3, 86-6
20:41:22 · 40XP7.04 Old Flames103-5, 104-1, 105-1
20:17:05 · 38XP8.15 Business130-2, 131-1, 131-7
20:10:26 · 40XP2.21 Hotel24-4, 25-5, 26-3
20:06:22 · 40XP8.01 Neighbors120-6, 121-5, 122-2
19:40:38 · 10XP4.25 Life59-2, 60-3, 61-2
18:17:43 · 10XP8.25 Commentary136-5,137-2,138-2
18:06:53 · 10XP6.25 At Home 597-4, 98-6, 100-1
17:41:52 · 10XP4.09 At Home 448-6, 49-6, 50-6
09:54:46 · 14XP6.17 Office90-3, 91-3, 92-4
02:07:50 · 10XP6.04 For You81-5, 82-5, 83-5
01:56:18 · 10XP5.10 Bad Day (14)67-7, 68-6, 69-7
9.03 Athletics (2)140-1, 140-7
404 XPMarch 10, 202318 leçons
22:13:50 · 15XP2.12 People 417-4, 18-3, 19-4
22:07:17 · 30XP8.26 Outdoors137-1,138, 139-1
21:57:07 · 30XP3.14 Routine 336-1, 37-1, 38-1
21:52:47 · 30XP4.13 At Work 551-5, 52-2, 53-1
18:54:26 · 28XPBad at soccer140-5
16:21:27 · 14XP8.08 Studying 2125-2, 126-1, 126-6
16:13:38 · 30XP8.09 Gardening125-7, 126-4, 127-5
16:05:30 · 30XP6.08 Career 283-7, 84-7, 85-7
15:59:41 · 30XP4.02 Weekend45-1, 46-1, 46-6
15:54:38 · 13XP9.01, 9.02, 9.03140-4
11:57:26 · 14XP3.02 Groceries28-1, 28-7, 29-6
11:53:21 · 30XP5.18 Protest73-5, 74-5, 75-5
11:45:55 · 30XP4.25 Life59-2, 60-2, 61-2
11:41:11 · 30XP6.17 Office90-3, 91-3, 92-4
09:44:20 · 10XP4.22 Money57-1, 58-1, 59-1
09:34:43 · 10XP8.08 Studying 2125-2, 126-1, 126-6
09:27:10 · 10XP7.25 New Job116-6, 117-6, 118-4
09:18:43 · 10XP4.10 Food 349-4, 50-5, 51-2
09:12:49 · 10XP6.01 Bistrot78-7, 79-7, 80-7
393 XPMarch 9, 202318 leçons
23:00:23 · 15XP6.22 Interview94-4, 95-6, 97-1
22:49:13 · 15XP2.16 Activités 220-1, 21-1, 22-1
22:44:29 · 15XP3.10 Nature33-1, 34-1, 35-1
22:39:18 · 15XP5.08 Junk66-6, 67-6, 68-2
20:37:45 · 30XP5.20 Sports 275-1, 76-1, 77-1
20:31:28 · 30XP1.10 Family 28-4, 9-5, 10-6
20:28:06 · 30XP3.24 Travel 443-3, 44-1, 44-7
20:23:40 · 30XP6.10 Nature 286-1, 87-1, 87-7
20:13:42 · 15XP9.01, 9.02, 9.03140-4
13:32:32 · 5XPPotato Chips & Pyjamas100-5
13:26:08 · 5XPFirst Class100-2
13:20:05 · 5XPEddy's Cut107-9
13:15:45 · 5XPThe Wedding Gift108-5
13:11:20 · 5XPBea's Date109-3
13:06:40 · 5XPI am going to run a marathon110-6
13:00:50 · 5XPSpace Viking111-9
11:42:40 · 15XP2.16 Activités 220-1, 21-1, 22-1
11:37:27 · 15XP6.14 Memories 288-1, 89-1, 90-1
11:29:57 · 15XP2.25 People 526-4, 27-5, 28-3
11:25:33 · 28XP8.07 Arts 2123-7, 124-6, 125-6
11:17:41 · 30XP7.13 Phone Call109-7, 110-6, 111-5
11:11:08 · 30XP7.18 Mischief112-2, 113-2, 114-1
07:33:32 · 10XP4.19 Leisure 456-1, 56-7, 57-5
06:44:31 · 10XP7.17 Feelings111-6, 112-4, 113-5
06:31:52 · 10XP7.11 Cooking 2107-7, 108-6, 109-6
355 XPMarch 8, 202322 leçons
22:28:36 · 10XP4.07 Paris47-4 Talk about Paris
21:35:48 · 15XP7.23 Society115-5, 116-2, 117-2
21:28:26 · 15XP3.02 Groceries28-1, 28-7, 29-6
20:44:45 · 15XP3.21 Leisure 241-1, 42-1, 43-1
20:40:51 · 14XP5.21 Classroom75-7, 76-7, 77-7
20:34:15 · 28XP8.01 Neighbors120-6, 121-5, 122-2
20:25:16 · 30XP8.24 Clothes135-6, 136-6, 137-5
16:01:26 · 15XP9.01, 9.02, 9.03140-4
11:09:21 · 15XP6.16 Health 289-5, 90-5, 91-5
11:00:24 · 15XP3.02 Groceries28-1, 28-7, 29-6
10:56:29 · 15XP6.23 Tourism95-4, 96-6, 98-1
10:46:29 · 15XP4.19 Leisure 456-1, 56-7, 57-5
10:16:25 · 13XP9.01, 9.02, 9.03140-4
06:31:12 · 15XP2.09 People 315-4, 16-3, 17-2
06:28:19 · 30XP3.03 Shopping28-6, 29-5, 30-3
06:23:37 · 30XP6.17 Office90-3, 91-3, 92-4
06:16:32 · 15XP3.22 At Home 342-5, 43-5, 44-2
04:55:22 · 10XP1.05 Family4-5, 6-1, 7-4
04:44:46 · 10XP4.24 Going Out58-5, 59-5, 60-5
04:23:05 · 10XP4.07 Paris47-4, 48-5, 49-2
03:44:05 · 10XP4.05 School 346-2, 47-1, 48-1
03:26:51 · 10XP1.05 Family4-5, 6-1, 7-4
301 XPMarch 7, 202314 leçons
19:52:08 · 15XP2.09 People 315-4, 16-3, 17-2
19:49:42 · 30XP6.19 Siblings92-6, 93-6, 95-1
19:42:48 · 26XP8.04 Office 2122-4,123-5, 124-2
19:36:47 · 30XP1.01 Basics1-1, 2-1, 2-6
19:33:44 · 25XP9.01 ServicesCapstone
13:22:29 · 15XP9.01 Servicesleçon
11:51:46 · 30XP2.09 People 325-4, 16-3, 17-2
11:47:30 · 30XP3.18 Housing38-7, 39-7, 40-7
11:44:01 · 30XP4.09 At Home 448-6, 49-6, 50-6
11:38:32 · 30XP8.09 Gardening125-7, 126-4, 127-5
04:19:18 · 10XP9.01 Services138-5, 139-5, 140-3
01:44:53 · 10XP8.11 And Then127-1, 127-7, 128-6
01:32:31 · 10XP3.10 Nature 233-1, 34-1, 35-1
01:27:01 · 10XP6.21 Recipes93-4, 94-6, 96-1
303 XPMarch 6, 202315 leçons
23:48:22 · 15XP2.08 Shopping14-6, 15-6, 16-4
23:45:08 · 30XP7.05 Tech103-7,104-6, 105-6
23:39:06 · 28XP5.12 Manners69-3, 70-3, 71-3
23:32:57 · 30XP2.03 At Home11-6, 12-4, 13-4
20:42:11 · 15XP9.01 Servicesleçon
12:06:23 · 30XP6.10 Nature 286-1, 87-1, 87-7
12:00:57 · 30XP3.01 Sensations27-4, 28-2, 29-1
11:56:29 · 30XP1.03 Basics 22-2, 3-3, 4-3
11:53:19 · 30XP7.10 Sports 3107-2, 108-1, 109-1
11:26:51 · 15XP9.01 Servicesleçon
09:40:58 · 10XP3.17 Health38-3, 39-1, 40-1
08:50:43 · 10XP8.11 And then127-1, 127-7, 128-6
07:21:04 · 10XP2.02 Travel 211-1, 11-7, 12-6
07:11:45 · 10XP4.26 Transit60-6, 61-6, 62-4
06:21:16 · 10XP4.02 Weekend45-1, 46-1, 46-6

Exhibit Two

![](

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

I'm not sure what I'll end up doing.

Duolingo as it was a couple of years ago was perfect for the way I learn and fill in knowledge.

Typing from my own knowledge, rather than having a list of solution, was good for my retention.

As was stopping and looking things up. For whatever reason, my retention was far higher that way. (It also let to useful mouse holes at times).

I truly don't care about silly little hearts achievements, and loathe video. (to the point that youtube is one of the sites that is usually blocked by littlesnitch). The leagues were moderately useful as a nudge, but not something I cared about.

So I need something where I come up with the answer, rather than selecting the pieces.

For the moment, I suppose I'll read El Mundo with my morning newsites. And pull at my Velasquez and see if I've gotten far enough to read Cortazar again (My favorite author, but all is lost in the English translations).

I'd like to return to fluency in Spanish, and at least poke at Italian, German, Irish, Latin, and Greek. (After a couple of weeks of the latin course when it was introduced, both my written and oral comprehension of Spanish took a huge upward bound. German from Spanish was also helpful).

So I'm just not sure, but I'd sure like to be doing something. But "click a sentence" is very much not conducive my learning.

edit: Oh, and I want written explanations of grammar; that's critical. And some ability to work on my accent would be really nice (Duo's is laughable; it doesn't seem able to do any more than recognize hard and soft consonants without being able to distinguishwhich it was, and similar fuzziness for vowels. I've known the sounds for, uhm, decades. It's the intonation/accent that needs checking).

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

Hi, I still do Duo daily, I'm doing the reverse tree now and find it pretty useful. I'm startled by the loose translations in the Spanish to English tree that didn't seem to be there in the English to Spanish one. It just seems a lot more intuitive rather than structured. But OK, I guess that's truer to real life, although for learners at this level it seems a strange choice. But, since I have come to the end of my Spanish tree, and long for actual practice speaking with live human beings, I've enrolled in college courses in Spanish, most helpfully I hope, Conversational Spanish. Let's see where I end up. I really want to be able to use this language, not just pretend with my cat.
BTW, I had to take a test to see if I could skip the basic Spanish I courses and did pretty well. But the test was only reading comprehension, and I do much better at that than listening and speaking. So I'm not sure it's really representative of my actual level.
I've also been doing a lot of reading, short stories and fiction. (Which is probably why I did so well on the test.) I really love the dual-language books, where they have the story in two languages side by side. It gives a good feeling for how the language is used.
If the classes are helpful, I plan to continue as far as I can. City College here is free for residents.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@ElmerRamone Congratulations for your achievements and being able to do classes! I hope you do well! :)

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:28 pm

@ElmerRamone Congratulations for your achievements and being able to do classes! I hope you do well! :)

Thank you! (I looked for the thank-you thingie to add but it seems to have been discontinued. ) I appreciate the support. I have to admit I'm a little nervous, up to now it's just been me and the computer. Now other people are involved. LOL :o

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

ElmerRamone wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:35 pm

Thank you! (I looked for the thank-you thingie to add but it seems to have been discontinued. ) I appreciate the support. I have to admit I'm a little nervous, up to now it's just been me and the computer. Now other people are involved. LOL :o

Yes, but you'll get real world practice this way and it won't be all rote. I imagine most of the people will be nervous in the class just like you, maybe you can help each other!

That thingie is still working for me, I wonder why you can't see it?

Return to “Duolingo”