Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

If

MarjanZahedi

If

Post by MarjanZahedi »

1- could someone please explain when using if in a sentence, for example, we want to say if I meet. How do I know when to say tanışsam and when to say tanışırsam? Simple actual and simple habitual? If I meet a French man, I will drink wine with him: how come this is Aorist. Duo used tanışırsam for this sentence. In The other sentence: if I meet my new neighbor, I will also become close friend with her. Here Duo uses tanışsam.
2- what is the difference between yanmak and yakmak
3- when I want to say: if you believe me, when do I say inanıyorsan and when to say inanırsan?

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

MustafaOuz526752

Re: If

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

1- The difference lies in whether the event under hypothetical consideration is possible. If it is possible, use the "aorist + conditional" construction (e.g., gidersem). Otherwise, use the "bare form + conditional" (e.g., gitsem) construction.

• Yarın have güzel olursa yüzmeye gideriz. = If it is nice out tomorrow, we will go swimming." (Whether it will be nice out tomorrow is a possible event.)

• Yarın have güzel olsa yüzmeye gideriz. = If it were nice out tomorrow, we would go swimming." (Whether it will be nice out tomorrow is an unlikely event. )

Duo thinks that he will possibly meet a Frenchman, so he says "tanışırsam" (if I meet). However, he does not think it possible that he will get to know his new neighbors, so he says "tanışsam" (if I met).

2- Yanmak means "to be set fire to" (passive), whereas yakmak means "to set fire" (active).

3- It depends on whether the event "you believe me" is thought to occur right now (-yorsa-) or in the future (-arsa-).

• Eğer bana inanıyorsan benimle gel. = If you belive me (right now), come with me.

• Eğer bana inanırsan özür dilediğini duymak istiyorum. = If you believe me (later), I want to hear you apologize.

Last edited by MustafaOuz526752 on Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you very much MustafaOuz for taking your time and explain all my questions.

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

MustafOuz, please tell me if I’m understanding it correctly.
So for unlikely events in this conditional sentences, i need to use simple, bare version. But in likely conditional events, should be aorist version.

In the other lesson that was about can, I was told:
yürüyebildim > I could walk (I was able to walk, and I did)
yürüyebilirdim > I could have walked (I would have been able to walk, but I did not)

This means aorist past version was used for the event that ‘didn’t’ happen and simple past was used for the event that ‘did’ happen. This is opposite of conditional sentences.

Am I correct?

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

MarjanZahedi wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:10 pm

In the other lesson that was about can, I was told:
yürüyebildim > I could walk (I was able to walk, and I did)
yürüyebilirdim > I could have walked (I would have been able to walk, but I did not)

This means aorist past version was used for the event that ‘didn’t’ happen and simple past was used for the event that ‘did’ happen. This is opposite of conditional sentences.

Am I correct?

You are all correct.

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Teşekkür ederim🙏🏻

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

Return to “Turkish”