Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Supplementary vocabulary and grammar from comments

Moderator: greg34bg

greg34bg
Spain

Supplementary vocabulary and grammar from comments

Post by greg34bg »

Hello! I'm going to try and put together unit by unit all the Finnish words and grammar details, showed in the comments but not in the Finnish course itself. This can be constantly edited, especially because of the new "snake"-system Duo offers.
All the nouns, adjectives, and numbers I'm going to give with their endings in singular genitive (yksikön genetiivi), singular partitive (yksikön partitiivi) and plural partitive (monikon partitiivi) (m.part.)).
All the pronouns are going to pop up only in yksikön genetiivi (y.gen.) and partitiivi (y.part.).
All the verbs are going to be shown with their endings in first person in present tense, third person in imperfect (past) tense and the active past participle.
The words seen at any time in the course are going to be in brackets, I'm giving them as well basically to show their case endings.
Furthermore, I'm going to post the so to speak hidden comments which apport some new words or information but we can only see in the app from the discussions appended to the sentences, not from a browser.
Every grammar peculiarity which appears with the used in the comments words, but not explicity explained in any of them (in the linked comment), I'm going to put in this colour. When grammar is explained in the comments section, it's going to be left then in the default black colour, even though it previously appears in this colour.
I am sorry for my not so perfect English and for the "amateur" way I may organise this, but I am going to try my best to share it at least as clear as I can. All the faults you can see or suggestions you have, please do private message me and I'll stand corrected. :blush:

Last edited by greg34bg on Tue May 09, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Re: Supplementary vocabulary and grammar from comments

Post by greg34bg »

Introduce yourself Part 1

Minä olen: (minä (-un,-ua) - I) (The dash (-) in front of the ending means that the italic script is changed by this ending.)
.................(olla (-en,-i,-lut) - to be) (A III groupe verb (ending in -llA; -A stands for either -a or ) but irregular in 3. persons presents: on (not olee) and ovat not olevat.)
.................(nainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - a woman) (Words ending in -nen change it for -sen in yksikön genetiivi (y.gen.), -stA in yksikön partitiivi (y.part.) and -siA in monikon partitiivi (m.part.).)
.................20(kaksikymmen)-vuotias (-hden..-en..-an, -hta....ta, a..-ia..-ita) - 20 years old (Compound numerals decline both units and decimals.)
.................olla...-vuotias (-an,ta,-ita) - to be...years old (Most words ending in -As change -s for -An in y.gen., for -itA in m.part. and add -tA to the whole nominative in y.part..)
.................(nuori (-en,-ta,a) - young) (The lack of a dash means that the ending is attached to the whole nominative (nominatiivi).)
Because the word ends in -i, has 2 syllables and it's an old one, it adds -a in m.part. and changes -i for -en en y.gen.. And because of all this and of ending in -ri, it changes -i for -ta in y.part..

Hearing olen: olin - Past Tense of olla (I) was (Olin kaksitoista-vuotias. Olin nuori.)
......................alin (-mman,ta,-mpia) - lowest, undermost
......................Oulun - genetiivi from Oulu (a city in Finland).

Minä: can always be dropped off because of the ending of the verb...........(sinä (-un,-ua) - you (1))

RealDrFerno: Sinä opiskelet

..........(opiskella (-en,-i,-lut) - to study sth. (pursue studies) (Verbs ending in -double consonnant(CC)+A switch CA to -e- before ending (opiskella - opiskelet)
...............Present: minä opiskelen..........sinä opiskelet..........hän opiskelee..........me opiskelemme..........te opiskelette..........he opiskelevat
...............Past Tense:minä opiskelin..........sinä opiskelit..........hän opiskeli..........me opiskelimme..........te opiskelitte..........he opiskelivat

Hearing minä: men (-en,-i,-nyt) - to go (A III group verb (-nnä) but mennyt (not mennut) because of vowel harmony. Basically with back vowell (a,o,u) the ending has also a back one; by lack of such, ending with front vowel (ä,ö,y)
...........................Present: minä menen..........sinä menet..........hän menee..........me menemme..........te menette..........he menevät
...........................Past tense: minä menin..........sinä menit..........hän meni..........me menimme..........te menitte..........he menivät

.......................Minna (n,a,-oja) (a female given name, very popular in the1960s and the 1970)
.......................miina (n,a,-oja) - a mine (explosive) (All words ending in a front or back vowel (following a C) add -n in y.gen. and -A in y.part.. As a 2-syllable word ending in -a with first vocal -i-, in m.part. -oja replaces -a)

Minä olen Otso (n,a,ja): (a male given name).....The authentical word for the animal "bear" is oksi (-hden,-hta,a).
(A small amount of old i-words ending in -ksi replace it by -hden in y.gen. and by -htA in y.part..)
................(but by respect and fear, Finns didn't want to call it by its name, so many other words appeared:
................otso (n,a,ja), karhu (n,a,ja) (All 2-syllable words ending in -O or -U (following a C) take the same endings. -O stands for -o/ and -U for -u/-y.)
................kontio (n,ta,ita) (Words ending in -VO or -VU (-V- stands for vowel), add -n in y.gen., -tA in y.part. and -itA in m.part..)
................mesikämmen. This is a compound word:
mesi (-den,-ttä,ä) - nectar (2-syllable old words ending in -si take instead -den in genitiivi and -ttA in partitiivi, both y..)
kämmen (en,ta,iä) - a palm (hand). (Words ending in -en add -en in y.gen., -tA in y.part. and -iA in m.part..)
................nalle (n,a,ja) - a teddy bear (An example of a group of few new words ending in -e which take endings a word in -O or -U would do.)
................kurssi (n,a,-eja) -a course (New 2-syllable words ending in -i, add -n in y.gen., -A in y.part. and changes -i for -ejA in m.part..)
................kiitos (-ksen,ta,-ksia) ...-stA - thank you for... (-stA is Elatiivi, the ending is appended to the genitive base at the place of -n.)
(Words ending in -Os change -s for-ksen in y.gen. and for -ksen in m.part. and take -ta in y.part..)

................Minun nimeni on - My name is (nimi (-en,-eä,ä) - a name) (The possesive noun (my) in Finnish is genetiivi (minun) of a personal pronoun (minä).
..............................................................Furthermore in possessions, a suffix ( -ni for minun) is appended to the base form (nime-).
..............................................................When the ending -i of a 2-syllable old word follows none of -l-,-n-,-r-,-s-,-ks-, becomes -eA in y.part..)

Hearing Otso: osto (n,a,ja) - purchase, bying..........Atso (n,a,ja) (a male given name)
......................otsa (n,a,-ia) - a forehead (As a 2-syllable noun ending in -a and with first vocal -o changes -a for -ia in m.part..)

I am Roosa: Finnish divides vowels into 3 groups: back vowels (a, o, u), front vowels (ä, ö, y), neutral vowels (e, i).
..................A word can only have front (possibly with neutral) vowels (kämmen) or back (possibly with neutral) vowels ( Oulu, nuori).
..................So endings always have a front vowel (kämmen) or back vowel forms (Oulua, nuoria).
..................Word with only neutral vowels (nimi, mies) would take endings with front vowels (nim, mies.)
..................(mies (-hen,tä,-hiä) - a man) is an exception for word ending in -es.)

Zzzzz...:se and ne are already accepted instead of hän and he...because there are used in every part of Finland. is not accepted yet, because it is more regional.
Puikelsson:...teaching dialects and spoken language is a risky choice...it changes the grammar and se and ne turn people into objects/animals...Kirjakieli works everywhere, so I can't see the logic in this...

..................kirjakieli - the literary language..........(kieli (-en,-tä,ä) - a language) (As a 2-syllable new word ending in -li takes -tA in m.part..)
........................................................(kirja (n,a,-oja) - a book) (As a 2-syllable word ending in -a with first vocal -i-, it changes -a for -oja in m.part..)
..................Vowel harmony only affects simple words. When a word is compound, the endings are attached according to the last simple one (kirjakiel)
..................(hän (en,tä) - he/she)..........(he (-itä) - they)..........mä (-un,-ua) = minä..........oon = olen..........se (n,-itä) = hän..........ne (niitä) = he
(Coloquial words or forms, also regional ones I am going to put in this colour.)

Minä olen Roosa (n,a,-ia): (a female given name).......... vanha roosa - old rose..........roosa (n,a,-ia) - pink (brownish) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o --> -oja)
................(vanha (n,a,-oja) - old) (As a 2-syllable word ending in -a and with first vowel -a takes -oja in m.part..)
................vaaleanpunainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - lavender pink
................pinkki (--kin,ä,-ejä) - pink (Double dash means the ending chnages the whole italics. One dash only the last letter (vowel or consonnant).
There is a phenomen called consonnant gradation. It affects in a different way words ending in a -V, in an -e and in a -C (-C stands for -consonnant). There is always either -k- or -p- or -t- involved in a way in the strong base of the word. This one is found in the y.nominatiivi for nouns, adjectives and numerals ending in a -V (which is NOT -e). In this case we have -kk- in pinkki which in a weak base (genetiivi) turns into -k- (pinkin). Both y.(pinkk) and m. partitiivi (pinkkejä have strong base for this kind of words.)

Hearing Roosa: ruso (n,a,ja) - reddish..........ruusu (n,a,ja) - a rose (flower)

Joni: evankeliumi (n,a,-eja) - a gospel (Polisyllable words ending in -i decline the same way as new 2-syllable words ending in -i.)
........kirje (en,ttä,itä) - a letter (message) (Old words ending in -e always take -en in y.gen. and add -ttA and -itA in y. and m.part..)
........Johannes (-ksen,ta,-ksia) (a male given name more commen as middle than first name) (Almost all words ending in -es change -s for -ksen and -ksiA.)
........Juho (n,a,ja) (a male given name, the most popular in the 19-th century. Both Johannes and Juho equivalents for John.)
........(Joni (n,a,-eja) (a male given name))..........(Aino (n,a,ja) (a female given name and heroine in Kalevala))..........(Väinö (n,ä,jä) a male given name)
........Väinämöinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) (the main hero of the Finnish national epic Kalevala which name originates the common male name Väinö)
........(Elsa (n,a,-oja) (a female given name)) (2-syllable words ending in -a with first vocal -e change -a for -oja in m.part..)
........(Otso (a male given name)..........(Anna (n,a,-oja) (a female given name (Ann))

Hearing Joni: ioni (n,a,-eja) - ion..........Jouni (n,a,-eja) (a male given name (John))..........Jani (n,a,-eja) (a male given name)

Minä olen Elsa: In Finnish one may drop personal pronouns but that makes the phrase more formal. Coloquial lenguage prefers to keep them.
........................Minun nimeni on is literally My name is but Minä olen is more used by far................Elsa, kohtalon lapsi.
........................kohtalo (n,a,ita/ja) - destiny (3-syllable words ending in -O can take both -itA or -jA in m.part..)
........................(lapsi (-en,--sta,a) - a child (lapsi is an exception for old word ending in -i in y.part. - it loses -p- and then changes -i for -ta.
Possession or belonging is expressed by genetiivi, being "the possessor" declined, followed by the "possessed". (kohtalon lapsi - destiny's child))

Minä olen Joni: Personal pronouns for 3.person CANNOT be omitted: He ovat täällä...........(täällä - here, over here)
........................Olla is one of the few irregular verbs in Finnish. It conjugates this way:
............................minä olen..........sinä olet..........hän on..........me olemme..........te olette..........he ovat..........(me (itä) - we)..........(te (itä) - you (2/<))
........................ollaan is the present passive form. For every III groupe verb it's formed adding -An to the infinitiv.
........................(The endings in -bold, are all valid for every verb, apart from 3.person singular. The rest of the verbs double the -last base vowel.)
..............................Only exceptions are: Short answers..........-Ostiko hän sen? -Osti./Joo.
..................................ostaa (-an,-i,-anut) -to buy (Verbs ending in -VA are from I groupe. Verbs ending in -AA drop the final -a in present and attach the -personal endings (ostan). In past tense both -AA are changed for -i- before -personal endings, which is NEVER doubled in 3.person singular (osti).)
.......................................Present: minä ostan..........sinä ostat..........hän ostaa..........me ostamme..........te ostatte..........he ostavat
.......................................Past tense: minä ostin..........sinä ostit..........hän osti..........me ostimme..........te ostitte..........he ostivat

..................................(-kO attached normally to the first word of a sentence transfoms a statement into a question.
..................................(When genetiivi is used for a received action (akkusatiivi), this one is completed.
...........................................................Subordinated clauses..........Hän kertoi, että (hän) oli jo käynyt kaupassa.
..................................kertoa (--ron,-i,-nut) - to tell (Verbs ending in -VA are from I groupe. Verbs ending in -OA drop -a in present and attach the -personal endings (kertovat). This verb is also an expamle of consonnat gradation, changing -rt- from the strong bases (infinitiivi kertoa, 3. persons kertoo) to -rr- in weak bases (1. kerron and 2. persons kerrotte). In the past tense they add an -i- between the base and the ending. (kerroit, kertoi.)
.......................................Present: minä kerron..........sinä kerrot..........hän kertoo..........me kerromme..........te kerrotte..........he kertovat
.......................................Past tense: minä kerroin..........sinä kerroit..........hän kertoi..........me kerroimme..........te kerroitte..........he kertoivat

..................................(että - that (connecting 2 clauses)......... (jo - already)..........käydä kaupassa - to go to the shop/store
..................................kauppa (--pan,a,-oja) - business (both trade and shop) (An example of consonnant gradation of strong base -pp- to weak base -p-.)
..................................(käy (-n,kävi,-nyt) + -ssA - to go in, to visit) (The only irregular verb in past tense from II groupe (ending -dA.)
.......................................Present: minä käyn..........sinä käyt..........hän käy..........me käymme..........te käytte..........he käyvät
.......................................Past tense: minävin..........sinävit..........hänvi..........mevimme..........tevitte..........hevivät
Inessiivi is an internal locative case which indicates actual position in a place. It's formed from genetiivi replacing -n by -ssA.

I am Elsa: Missä Arendelle on? Onko se Suomessa?..........(missä - where)..........(Suomi (-en,-ea) - Finland) (2-syllable old word -i)
...............Taakse jää..........taakse - behind..........jää (-n,jäi,-nyt) - to stay, remain (II groupe verbs lose in past tense the -next-to-last vowel- (jäädä - jäin).)
................................................................Present: Minä jään..........sinä jäät..........hän jää..........me jäämme..........te jäätte..........he jäävät
................................................................Past tense: Minäin..........sinäit..........häni..........meimme..........teitte..........heivät

...............Pronouns in spoken language are fairly common but get shortened, depending on the region (mie oon). You chance sounding pompous if you use "minä", "sinä",...However, no one would laugh at you for using "olen", although it would usually get shortened to "oon".
...............short forms (capital region): mä oon..........sä oot..........se on..........me ollaan..........te ootte..........ne on
...............The only instance where you really ought to include the pronouns is in comparison, because the verbs by themselves might not be strong enough to highlight the contrast...

I am Otso: "Minä" corresponds with the English pronoun "I" "My name is" would be best accomplished with "minun nimeni on," "minun nimi on," or "nimeni on." However, actually saying "My name is..." is rather formal, so "I am..." would be the more natural phrasing.
.................You can use both the "I am" and "my name is" sentences in both standard written Finnish and colloquial spoken Finnish. They both usually get modified when said in spoken Finnish though: minä olen -> mä oon / (minun) nimeni on -> mun nimi on, for example (mää oon in Tampere).
.................the southern/Uusimaa dialect(stadin slangi) replaces lots of words with their own:
.................dösä (n,ä,-iä) - a bus (2-syllable nouns ending in add -iä in m.part..)
.................stadi (n,a,-eja) - a town..........snadi (n,a,-eja) - small..........kundi (n,a,-eja) - a mate..........slangi (n,a,-eja) - a slang ...... (2-sillable new words -i.)
.................Uusimaa (an administrative region in Southern Finland)..................................(uusi (-den,-tta,a) - new) (2-syllable old word -i (-si))
.................(maa (n,ta,-ita) - a country) (1-syllable words (excepting -Vi) add -tA in y.part. and lose -next-to-last vowel- and add -itA in m.part..)

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:15 am, edited 21 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Introduce yourself Part 2

Terve (en,ttä,itä) - healthy, sound, well
..........There are several ways of saying "hello", and "bye", roughly from formal to informal:
..........hei.......terve.......moi.......hei-hei.......moi-moi.......heippä.......moikka.......moro.......heipparallaa.......moikkeliskoikkelis
..........Hei is how people start formal emails and often letters too, also used on phone with official stuff and when greeting without wanting to sound too informal. Can also mean "bye" but it is usually repeated to mean this and rather coloquial: hei hei.
..........Terve is a step down, less formal and more friendly: for greeting neighbours and bus drivers etc.
..........Moi is very versatile but sounds the least formal of these three. It can sound out of place in certain situations.
..........Moro is an informal way of saying "hello".
..........Moikkeliskoikkelis is quite informal (coloquial) way of saying "hi there" or "hoody doody".
..........Moikka can either mean "hi" or "bye". The same way can heipparallaa be used both as "hey there" and "toodle pip".
..........Heippa is more used as "bye" but rarely can be sometimes used by a few peope as "hi".
..........hei hei and moi moi are both coloquial ways to say "bye-bye".

..........Morjensta/Morjesta is really quite informal, used before noon (Swedish "morgon").

Hearing terve: törmä (n,ä,-iä) - bank, strand (2-syllable word)..........tyvi (-en,-eä,ä) - base, stem (2-syllable old word -i)
.......................TV (:n,:tä,:itä) (It behaves like nouns ending in -VV (not -iA nor -VA) - adds -tA in y.part. and change -the last vowel for -itA in m.part..)

Terve! Minä olen Tyyne: (a female given name)..........Tulen Guatemalasta. Hauska tutustua...........Guatemala (n,a)
...........................(hauska tutustua - nice to meet you)..........(hauska (n,a,-oja) - funny, pleasant) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a (-au-)) (When -k- in the strong base is preceded by -s- (-sk-), it doesn't undergo consonnant gradation.)
...........................(tutustua (-n,-i,-nut) - to meet (for 1.time) (I groupe verb -UA)
...........................tulla (-en,-i,-lut) + -stA - to come from (Elatiivi (-stA) as internal locative case indicates movement from a place. III groupe verb -llA)
...........................Tulen Ruotsista. Olen ruotsalainen...........(Ruotsi (n,a) - Sweden) (2-syllable new word -i)..........(ruotsalainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Swede, Swedish)
...........................(Nationalities are formed by adding -lAinen to the country, normally without furter changes. Ruotsalainen is an exception.)
...........................Tulen Intiasta. Mitä kuuluu?..........Intia (n,a)..........(mi (-nkä,-tä) - what)..........kuulua (-n,-i,-nut) - to be heard, audible (I groupe verb -UA)
(mitä kuuluu - how are you?)..........Mina (n,a,-oja) (a rare female given name)
...........................Mä asun Hongkongissa. Tervetuloa. Kiitos kaikille...........(asua (-n,-i,-nut) + -ssA - to live in) (I groupe verb -UA)
...........................Hongkong (in,ia) (Foreign words ending in a -consonnant add an -i- and take the case endings for a new word ending in -i.)
...........................kiitos...-lle (-lle stands for Allatiivi and changes -n from the genetive base. It expresses in this case whom thanks are for.)
...........................(kaikki (--en,-ea) - all=everything)..........(kaikki (a) - all=everybody) (Excepcion in m.nominatiivi for 2-syllable old word -i; -kk- --> -k-)
...........................Replacing -ä- or -ö- by -ae- or -oe- is not possible in Finnish: not only because it makes long vowels look weird (sää) but also because it can end up being another word (haen)..........ä (n,tä,-itä) - tiempo (meteorológico) (1-syllable word)
...........................hakea (--en,-i,-enut) - to go get, to fetch (I group verbs ending in -ea replace in Past tense -e- by -i- (haki). Furthermore hakea is an expamle of consonnant gradation, loosing -k- in weak base (--): haen, hait.)
........................................Present: minä haen..........sinä haet..........hän hakee..........me haemme..........te haette..........he hakevat
........................................Past Tense: minä hain..........sinä hait..........hän haki..........me haimme..........te haitte..........he hakivat

Hearing Tyyne: tyyni (-en,-tä,ä) - calm (of the wind) (2-syllable old words ending in -ni change -i for -tA in m.part. .)
............................tieni <-- tie (n,tä,teitä) - way=path (1-syllable word)

Terve, minä olen Otso: mirri (n,ä,-ejä) - pussy (cat)..........mirri - pussy (vagina) (2-syllable new words -i)
....................................(Norja (n,a) - Noruega)..........norja (n,a,-ia) - noruego (idioma)
....................................(Languages are the same words as the countries, but the former written in lowercase while the latter start with a capital letter.)

Terve, minä olen Pyry: pyry (n,ä,jä) - blizzard..........(lumi (-ea,--nta,a) - snow (Exceptional old word ending in -i for replacing -mi by -nta in y.part..)
...................................Lumikki (-kin,a) - Blancanieves..........(yksi (-hden,-htä,ä) - one)..........(Pyry (n,ä,jä) (a modern male given name))
...................................tervehtiä (--din,-,-nyt) - to greet......It comes from terve meaning both "hello" and "healthy", so "wishing to be healthy". (Similar to "salve" in Italian and Latin or to "saludos" (greetings) in Spanish coming from "salud" (health).) (I groupe verbs ending in -iA have identical Present and Past tenses, apart from 3.person singular in present (tervehtii) and 3.person singular in past (tervehti). The verb is also an example of consonnant gradation for -ht-, becoming in the weak base -hd-.)
...............................................Present: minä tervehdin........sinä tervehdit........hän tervehtii........me tervehdimme........te tervehditte........he tervehtivät
...............................................Past tense: minä tervehdin.......sinä tervehdit.......hän tervehti.......me tervehdimme.......te tervehditte.......he tervehtivät

...................................Suomi on mahtava....mahtava (n,a,-ia) - magnificent, awesome (Long words ending in -vA change -A for -iA in m.partritiivi.)

ThePikaChin: While "I am Pyry" and "My name is Pyry" mean the same thing, something like "Minä olen opettaja/I am a teacher" and "Minun nimeni on opettaja/My name is teacher" obviously don't.

...................................(opettaja (n,a,-ia) - teacher) (Many-sillable words ending in -jA change -A for -iA in m.part..)

Kiitos: kiitti = kiitos - thanks..........Kiitoksia is either a very formal, or ironically used by young people way of saying thank you.
..........N, when combined with -k- in -nk-, is pronounced like ŋ, (the same as -ng- in the English word "sing"): (ken (--gän,ä,-iä) - shoe)
Kenkä is also an example of consonnant gradation for -nk- in a strong base swapping to -ng- in a weak base.
................The combination -ng- when at the end, like in y.gen. of kenkä kengän, gives double ŋ sound (-ŋŋ-).
...................................................when at the beginning, it's pronounced the whole -ng- like one -ŋ-..........(englanti (-nin,a) - english)
(-nt- in a strong base also undergoes consonnant gradation, becoming -nn-.)
................-gn- is just -ŋ-..........magneetti (--tin,a,-eja) - magnet (Consonnant gradation for -tt- in strong base, becoming -t- in weak base.
Long words ending in -tti usually change -i only for -ejA in m.part..)

..........In compound words, the starting single consonnant of a simple word is pronounced as double when preceded by an old simple word ending in -e:
......... (tervetuloa) tulo (n,a,ja) - coming, arrival "Tuloa" is in y.part. It expresses the idea of something incomplete and/or currently happening.
..........jauheliha - minced meat..........jauhe (en,tta,ita) - powder (old word -e.)......... (liha (n,a,-oja) - meat) (2-syllable words -a, first vowel -i)
..........hernekeitto - pea soup..........herne (en,ttä,itä) - pea (old word -e.)......... (keitto (-don,a,ja) - soup (2 syllable words -O, -tt- --> -t-.)

Hearing kiitos: keitos (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - concoction.......... kidus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - gill (Words ending in -Us and derived from a verb behave like -Os words.)
.......................keidas (-taan,ta,-taita) - oasis (-As words which take -An,ta,-itA can also undergo consonnant gradation, in this case the -t- from the strong base becomes -d- in the weak base.)

Sinä olet Otso: For the negative form there is a special negative verb ei added in front of the negated verb and which takes the personal endings for all but 3.person singular, remaining "ei". The negated verb itself remains in the present base for person, without changing. This present base is formed from the 1.person singular, taking out the -n (for olla --> olen --> ole): minä en ole......sinä et ole......hän ei ole......me emme ole......te ette ole......he eivät ole

Lassi492061: There indeed is a theory that Indo-European and Uralic languages would be related. On the other hand, many resemblances can be explained by ancient contacts. Resemblances can also be coincidences.
The Spanish "oso" and Italian "orso" are derived from the Latin word "ursus".
Comparative study of Uralic languages shows that the original name for bear has been "oksi" (Livonian "okš", Komi "osh") but this has been replaced in Finnish by the euphemism "karhu" (the official name), and others like "otso", "mesikämmen" (honey palm/hand), "metsän omena" (forest's apple), "kontio", "kontio" (refers to the way of moving in the forest). Thus, the form "otso" is apparently a rather modern innovation in Finnish, and...it does not have counterparts in other Uralic languages. Therefore...the resemblance between "otso" and "oso/orso" is a coincidence.
Some of the innovative names for bear are used in languages that are closely related to Finnish: In Karelian bear is "kondie", in Northern Estonian "karu", in Southern Estonian "kahr".
..."Suomen kielen etymologinen sanakirja"...says that the older form of "otso" is ohto (-don,a,ja) and "otso" is a people eymology with reference to the broad forehead (in Finnish "otsa"). The sounds "-ts-", "-tt-" and "-ht-" vary in Finnish dialects: forest is "metsä" in the literary tongue, meh (-dän,ä,-iä) in the eastern dialects...Southern Estonian knows the word "ott" for bear (in addition to "kahr"). Cross-country skiing enthusiastis may know the place name Otepää (bear´s head). In Erzha Mordvinian the word for bear is "ovto", in Moksha Mordvinian "ofta". It seems that "oksi" and "ohto" (and later "otso") are related, according to the etymological dictionary. The book deos not say anything about a relationship to Indo-European, but such ressemblances are useful, if they help us remember new words, aren+t they?

......................metsä (n,ä,-iä) - forest (2-syllable words)..........omena (n,a,-oita/-ia) - apple (Long nouns ending in -nA change -A for -OitA in m.part.. Nonetheless, omena is an exception, being possible also an -ia ooption: omenia instead of the more common omenoita.)
......................karhea (n,ta,-ita) - rough, coarse..........(That's where karhu originates from: because of its coarse fur.)
(Adjectives ending in -eA add either -A or (less comon) -tA in y.part. In m.part. -A is changed for -itA.)
......................kontia (--nin,-,-nut) - to move slowly (crawl clumsily) (Originates another "bear" euphemism kontio.) (I groupe verb -iA, -nt- --> -nn-)
......................etymologinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - etymological..........sanakirja - dictionary......... (sana (n,a,-oja) - word) (2-syllable words -a, first vowel -a)

Sinä olet Elsa is a statement. For it being a question, the verb must come at the beginning and -kO attached to its end: Oletko sinä Elsa?

Sinä olet Roosa: puhekieli - coloquial language..........puhe (en,tta,ita) - speech (old word -e)
.........................Ruusa (n,a,-ia) (a rare female given name) (2-syllable words ending in -a with first vowel -u change -a for -ia in m.part..)
........................."Te": * as a formal you is not common in Finnish: used mainly in the military and adressing the president.
.................................* as a communal you is very common: talking to a person from an institution or company.
.........................Nimeni suomeksi on Roosa "Ruusa" tölli..........etunimi - forename, first name..........suomeksi - in Finnish
.........................(Translatiivi is the noun case used when refering to the language in which the action is done. It's the genetive base + -ksi.)
.........................One needs to really watch out for the difference between -a- and -ä-: hella (n,a,-oja) - stove..........hellä (n,ä,-iä) - tender
.........................A --> absurdi (n,a,-eja) - absurd..........palmu (n,a,ja) - palm tree (2-syllable words -U)..........utopia (n,a,-oita) - utopia
(3-syllable words ending in -CCi usually change -i for -ejA in m.part..
Words ending in -iA add -A in y.part. and change -A for -OitA in m.part..)

.........................E --> emu (n,a,ja) - emu (2-syllable words -U)...genre (n,ä,jä) - genre (new words -e)...legenda (n,a,-oja) - legend
(Words ending in -ntA (and foreign ones in -ndA) change -A for -OjA in m.part..)
.........................I --> idoli (n,a,-eita/-eja) - idol..........galleria (n,a,-oita) - gallery (words -iA.)
(3-syllable words ending in -VCi would rather change -i for -eitA in m.part. but -ejA option is also posible.)
.........................O --> korni (n,a) - Cornish (the language) (2-syllable new words -i)....operetti (--n,a,-eja) - operetta (-tt- --> -t-).....studio (n,ta,ita) - studio (workshop) ( -VU)
(Plurisyllable words (4/>) ending in -i change it for -ejA in m.part..)
.........................U --> urbaani (n,a,-eja/-eita) - urban..........pulu (n,a,ja) - pigeon (2-syllable words -U)..........tabu (n,a,ja) - tabu (2-syllable words -U)
(3-syllable words ending in -VVCi change -i preferably for -ejA in m.part., being also possible the -eitA option.)
.........................Y --> yksi..........tyly (n,ä,jä) - rude (2-syllable words -U)..........hyeena (n,a,-oita/-oja) - hyena (An exception for long word ending in -nA.)
.........................Ä --> ässä (n,ä,-iä) - ace (2-syllable word)......... (bändi (n,ä,-ejä) - band, group (musical) (2-syllable new word -i)
.........................Ö --> söpö (n,ä,jä) - sweet = cute (2-syllable words -O..........ötökkä (--kän,ä,--köitä/-öjä) - bug
(Long words ending in -kA replace -A either with -OitA or -OjA. For -kkA words -OitA causes consonnant gradation for -kk-.)
.........................There is a huge difference between a simple (tuli (-en,-ea,a) - fire ((an instance of) a chemical reaction)) and a double vowel (tuuli (-en,-ea,a) - wind).
.........................AA --> baari (n,a,-eja) - bar (2-syllable new words -i)..........aaria (n,a,-oita) - aria ( -iA)..........hurraa
.........................EE --> eeppinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - epic..........toffee (n,ta,-ita) - candy, sweets (Noun ending in -VV (not -iA nor -VA))..........magneetti
.........................II --> iilimato - leech <-- mato (-don,a,ja) - worm (2-syllable words -O, -t- --> -d-)....tiimi (n,ä,-ejä) - team....kirii <-- kiriä (-n,-,-nyt) - to spurt (I groupe verb -iA)
.........................OO --> ooppera (n,a,-oita) - opera..........virtuoosi (n,a,-eja) - virtuoso (Polysyllable words -i)........ (neuloa (-n,-i,-nut) - to knit) (I groupe verbs -OA)
(Long nouns ending in -rA change -A for -OitA in m.part..)......
.........................UU --> buumi (n,a,-eja) - boom (2-syllable new words -i)..........vakuumi (n,a,-eja/-eita) - vacuum ((3-syllable words -VVCi)
.........................YY --> volyymi (n,A,-ejA/-eitA)..........vampyyri (n,A,-ejA/-eitA) - vampire......... (titityy - tweet, tweet)
(When a foreign word has the letter -y- and -back vowel(s), the ending can either have back or front vowels.) (3-syllable words -CCVi)

Kiitos Pyry: Kiitos paljon suurenmoisesta työstä......(paljon - a lot = much).....suurenmoinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - magnificent.....työ (n,tä,töitä) - work (1-syllable words)

BethK:...you're welcome... Boarcas: that's (ole hyvä). Zzzzz...: puru (n,a,ja) means * "powder, dust" (2-syllable words -U) as in sahanpuru, "sawdust". It also means * "ache/pain", for example mahanpuru, "tummy ache". It can also be used as a prefix for anything * related to chewing: purukumi, "chewing gum"...

...................(hyvä (n,ä,-iä) - good) (2-syllable word)...............saha (n,a,-oja) - saw (2-syllable words -a, first vowel -a)
...................maha (n,a,-oja) - stomach (2-syllable words -a, first vowell -a)................kumi - rubber (2-syllable new words -i)

"Kiitos Tyyne" (Unfortunately the link https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/4058 ... itos-Tyyne is no longer available) :
....................-Hei, mitä kuuluu? - Hyvää, kiitos. (Because the question is in Partitiivi (mi kuuluu, the answer should also be (hyvää.)

Terve! Minä olen Elsa: Minä olen Anna..........(Anna is also the present base of the verb antaa (--nan,-oi,-anut) which means to give and is an example of a verb that undergoes consonnant gradation, changing -nt- for -nn-. It's also a part of a special kind of 2-syllable verbs from I group ending in -aa with first vowel -a. Each of them changes -aa for -oi- in Past Tense.)
..................................................Present: minä annan......sinä annat......hän/se antaa......me annamme......te annatte......he/se antavat
..................................................Past tense: minä annoin......sinä annoit......hän/se antoi......me annoimme......te annoitte......he/se antoivat

Thank you: "Kiitos sinulle" might be used e.g. in a situation where you reply to someone thanking you by thanking them also.
.................."Kiitos kutsusta"(thank you for the invitation) "Kiitos sinulle kun tulit" (thank YOU for coming).
..................kutsu (n,a,ja) - invitation (2-syllable words -U)..........kiitos kun + Verb Tense - thank you for -ing

Thank you, Otso: Kiitos, Otso! Thank you / Thanks! (nominative singular)
..........................Kiitoksia/Paljon kiitoksia, Otso! Thank you very much Otso! (partitive plural)
..........................Kiitokset, Otso! Many thank you's, Otso! (nominative plural; sounds very formal)

Thank you, Tyyne: Haluan kiittää sinua. En malta odottaa tämän käyvän mahdottomaksi. Kiitän sinua.
...........................haluta (-an,-si,-nnut) - to want (Verbs ending in -VtA (like -UtA) (being -V normally either front or back vowel) are from IV group. They have a weak base in infinitiivi and drop the -t- for the present. In past tense they change -tA for -si-.)
.............................................Present: minä haluan..........sinä haluat..........hän/se haluaa..........me haluamme..........te haluatte..........he/ne haluavat
.............................................Past tense: minä halusin.........sinä halusit.........hän/se halusi.........me halusimme.........te halusitte.........he/ne halusivat

...........................kiittää (--tän-i,-änyt) + PART - to thank smb (I groupe verbs -AA, -tt- --> -t-)
...........................malttaa (--tan,-oi,-anut) + INF - to have patience to (I groupe 2-syllables verbs -aa, first vowel -a, -tt- --> -t-)
...........................odottaa (--tan,-i,-anut) + -n + v-vAn - expect sb/sth. to (I groupe verbs -AA, -tt- --> -t-)..........en malta odottaa + -n + v-vAn - I can't wait for...to...
(-vA is the active present participle which looks like 3.person plural in present (-vAt) without -t --> -vA.)
...........................käy + -ksi - to get=to become (The principal translatiivi's function is expressing a change of statement.)
...........................mahdoton (-toman,ta,-tomia) (Words ending in -On change -n for -mAn in y.gen., for -miA in y.part. and add -tA to nominatiivi. If the endings is -tOn, this -t- from the weak base undergoes inverse consonnant gradation becoming -tt-).

Hello I am Tyyne: Hyvää päivää! Hyvää huomenta! Hyvää iltaa! Hyvää yötä! (For greetings Partitiivi is used.)
.......................... (päivä (n,ä,-iä) - day) (2-syllable words)..........huomen (en,ta,ia) - dawn morning (poetic) ( -en)......... (n,tä,öitä) - night) (1-syllable words)
..........................(ilta (--lan,a,-oja) (2-syllable words -a, first vowel -i) (If the strong base has -lt- at the end, it undergoes consonnant gradation to -ll- in the weak base.)
As "hyvää" can be left, people often say just "Päivää!" With the word "yö" the whole thing is said or if "hyvää" left out, "yö" is put in plural with the partitive ending, so it becomes "Öitä!".

Soweird1002...it is not terva (n,a,-oja) (tar)! It is Terve! (2-syllable -a, first vowel -e)

Hello, I am Pyry: terse - hullo..........pyre (en,ttä,itä) - puree (old word -e)

MeganResen: Terse. Minä olen pyre.

Hello! I am Elsa

JachuValai:...Huomenta or hyvää huomenta Juha757388:...only used in the morning, when first meeting someone at a breakfast table or at work,...

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:30 am, edited 19 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Introduce yourself Part 3

Kuka sinä olet: (kuka (kenet, ketä) - who)..........Mikä sinun nimesi on is more polite than Kuka sinä olet?
Sinä olet mukava: - Minä olen Daniel. Hauska tutustua. - Minä olen Nokia. Hauska tavata. - Kiitos. Sä oot kiva.
........................... (mukava (n,a,-ia) - nice (=gentle/=cozy, comfortable)) (Long word -vA))..........kiva (n,a,-oja) - cool (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i)
............................tavata (--paan,--pasi,-nnut) - to meet (IV group verbs undergo reverse consonnant gradation. Here the weak base's -v- becomes -p- in the strong base which is in each person. As it's an -AtA verb, it doesn`t triple -a in 3.person singular in Present.)
......................................Present: minä tapaan..........sinä tapaat..........hän/se tapaa..........me tapaamme..........te tapaatte..........he/se tapaavat
......................................Past Tense: minä tapasin..........sinä tapasit..........hän/se tapasi..........me tapasimme..........te tapasitte..........he/se tapasivat

Hearing mukava: (muu (n,ta,-ita) - other, else) (1-syllable word))..........kaava (n,a,-oja) - a formula, a pattern (2 syllable word -a, first vowel -a (-aa) )
Hearing anteeksi: (tee (n,tä,-itä) - a tea)..........tii (n,tä,-itä) = tee..........än - N..................................................Anteeksi - excuse me = sorry:

huntleyshe:...vittu (-tun,a,ja)...Lassi492061...a bad word meaning female genitals...youth in Finland use it a lot... (2-syllable word -U, -tt- --> -t-)

Anteeksi Aino: vaino (n,a,-ja) - persecution (2-syllable -O)..........Eino (n,a,ja) (a male given name)
Hearing aino: ainoa (n,a,-ita) - only, sole (Adjectives ending in -OA behave the same way as adjectives in -eA: add -n, -A (or -tA) and change -A for -itA)
Aino, sinä olet mukava: Tuolilla on mukava istua...........Paikka on mukava.
................................... (tuoli (n,a,-eja) - chair) (2-syllable new word -i).......... (istua (-n,-i,-nut) - to sit) (Igroupe verb -UA)
................................... (paikka (--kan,-a,-oja) - place) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a (-ai-))
(Adessiivi is an external locative case used normally when something is ON something other. Its base is the one for y.gen. changing -n for -llA.)

Tyyne, sinä olet mukava: Vieno (n,a,ja) (a female or (uncommon) a male given name.)..........Arvo (n,a,ja) (a male given names) Vilho (n,a,ja)
......................................Tyynimeri - The Pacific Ocean = Tyyni valtameri.....valtameri - ocean.....valta (--lan,a,-oja) - power (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a, -lt- --> -ll-)
...................................... (meri (-en,-ta,a) - sea, ocean) (Exception of vowel harmony in y.part. for 2-syllable old word ending in -i (-ri), changes for -ta.)
......................................ihana (n,a,-ia) - lovely (Long adjectives ending in -nA change -A for -iA in m.part..)
......................................väestörekisterikeskus - Finnish Population Register Centre..........väestörekisteri - civil register
......................................väestö (n,ä,jä) - population ((2-syllaable word, -O)..........keskus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - centre (noun -Us,from a verb)
......................................rekisteri (n,ä,-eitä/-ejä) - register (Exception of polysillable word ending in -i - can change it for -eitA too.)
...................................... * mies/nainen/lapsi/... mukava - nice;......................................kiva - nice
...................................... * paikka/tuoli......................... - (nice like) cozy, comfortable............(nice like) fun

Juha757388: hui - yikes(...scary)....hyi - ugh (...disgusting)....(puu (n,ta,-ita) - tree)....pyy (n,tä,-itä) - partridge....(kuu (n,ta,-ita) - moon)....kyy (n,tä,-itä) - viper
......................suu (n,ta,ita) - mouth....syy (n,tä,-itä) - reason... (1-syllable words)
English has at least a long /u:/ in most accents, for example in the words "goose" or "boot". /y/ is only in few accents, in e.g. the word "few" itself, [fju:]...
Rk513: The Finnish u is pronounced in the back of the mouth whereas the y is pronounced at the front. To get an y, put your mouth in "u" position and push the mass of your tongue forward to your teeth. Make the lips' round shape smaller, and you will probably get an y-like sound...the Finnish u is even more back than the vowel in "through" or at least as back...........Soweird1002:...tyyny (n,ä,jä) mean cushion... (2-syllable word -U)

Anteeksi, kuka sinä olet: oho - oh, oops..........Pieni hetki! Kuka sinä olet?.................(pieni (-en,-tä,ä) - small) (2-syllable old word -i (-ni))
......................................(hetki (-en,-eä,ä) - moment) (2-syllable old word -i) (When -k- in the strong base is preceded by -t-, -tk- doesn't undergo consonnat gradation.)
......................................Minä kirjoitin yhden oikein, mutta tämä väittää, että se ei ole oikein...........(kirjoittaa (--tan,-i,-anut) - to write) (I groupe verbs -AA, -tt- --> -t-))
......................................(oikein - right (in a correct way))..........(mutta - but)..........väittää (--tän,-i,-änyt) - to claim (I groupe verb -AA, -tt- --> -t-)

Väinö, sinä olet mukava: Te kaikki olette mukavia. (When a subject is used in plural, its complement will almost always take m.partitiivi.)
......................................(suomalainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Finn, Finnish) (Another nationalities (-lAinen)' exception: Suomi --> suomalainen.)
......................................(puhua (-n,-i,-nut) - to speak) (I groupe verb -UA)

Kuka sinä olet? MInä olen Aino: Kuka olet? Olen Aino. works just as well, although "kuka sinä olet?" is already not the politest way of asking for someone's name and leaving the pronoun out sounds even more abrupt. "Mikä nimesi on?" or "Mikä sinun nimesi on?" (What is your name?) is a more polite alternative. The shorter one doens't have extra emphasis on the word "your".

You are nice: Olet mukava myös...........(myös - also, too)
Tyyne you are nice: Olehan nyt nätisti - Behave yourself (-hAn added to an imperatiivi makes a request more polite. It's like adding do or please.
Y.imperatiivi looks exactly like the present base.)

..............................nätisti - nicely..........Tämä tuoli on mukava - nice (to sit in)
..............................................................Tämä tuoli on kiva - looks nice

Excuse me, who are you?: Anteeks, kuka sä oot?..........anteeks = anteeksi..........Keitä te olette?..........ketkä (keitä) - who (more than 1)
(Ketkä in questions behaves as a plural complement when preceeding olla: declines in m.partitiivi.)
........................................Oletko maksanut lipun?.....maksaa (-an,-oi,-anut) - to pay (I groupe verb -AA, first vowel -a)....(lippu (-pun,a,ja) - ticket) (2-syllable word -U, -pp- --> -p-)
(The Perfect Tense (Perfekti) is used for sthing started in the past and either still going on or relevant to the current moment. It's formed out of olla in present + -NUt partisiippi (Active Past Participle) (which I always give as the last verb form in parentheses).)
........................................- Olenko ainoo suomalainen tääl? - Et. - Kai me ollaan kumminkin vähemmistö. - No toivottavasti. Kielen oppimiseenhan tämä on tarkoitettu.
........................................ainoo = ainoa..........tääl = täällä..........(When negating in Finnish, ei (no) is also conjugated (olenko? - et).)
........................................(kai - maybe)..........(The present passive form is used in spoken speech for me.)..........kumminkin - however
........................................vähemmistö (n,ä,jä) - minority (Exception for long words ending in -stO) adding only -jA in m.part.-.)
........................................toivottavasti - hopefully..........oppia (--pin,-,-nut) + -n. - to learn completely (I groupe verb -iA, -pp- --> -p-)
(Oppia goes with genetiivi because one of the case's functions is expressing completed (or resulative) actions.)
(Gerund or verbal noun (-ing) is expressed with the Fourth infinitive. It's formed by changing -vAt with -minen and can be declined.)
(-hAn in affirmative clauses is used when no new information is offered, or a well known fact is reminded.)

........................................tarkoittaa (--tan,-i,-anut) - to mean (I groupe verb -AA, -tt- --> -t-)..........olla tarkoitettu + ILL - to be meant for
(Illatiivi is normally formed out of the strong base, doubling the -last vowel- and adding -n (so -Vn). It means for -nen words adding -en to -se-.)
(Olla in Present + -(t)tU (passive past participle) is the Passive Perfect Tense. This one is used when something has been done but doesn't reveal by who.
-(t)tu participle itself is formed from the weak base. For I groupe verbs that means minä form. -AA verbs change -A- for -e-. All decline as 2-syllabe -U word.)

........................................- Olenko ainoa suomalainen täällä? - Et. - Kai me olemme kumminkin vähemmistö. - No toivottavasti. Kielen oppimiseenhan tämä on tarkoitettu.

LaKatoGranda:/...kuka sinæ olet/?
Lassi492061: Doctor Wolmar Schildt (Wolmari Kilpinen) proposed in the 19th century a "stretch script" (venykekirjoitus)... (...long vowels were marked ê...). Schildt invented lots of new words that are now in common use,...:
esine (en,ttä,itä) - item (object) (Old word -e), henkilö (n,ä,itä,jä) - figure (person), jalostaa (-an,-i,-anut) - to refine (I groupe verb -AA), kirje - a letter (Old word -e), myymälä (n,ä,-öitä) - shop (too formal), määritel (-en,-i,-lyt) - to define (III groupe verb -llA, freq. -ellA), neliö (n,tä,itä) - square ( -iO), opiskella, sairaala (n,a,-oita) - hospital, suhde (-teen,tta,-teita) - relation, taide (-teen,tta,-teita) - art, tiede (-teen,ttä,-teitä) - science, uskonto (-non,a,ja) - religion, vankila (n,a,-oita) - prison, yleinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - common, ympyrä (n,ä,-öitä) - circle.) (long noun -rA)
Juha757388:...the Finnish is not /a/ iirc, but one of the other a sounds. There likely won't be any confusion even if someone uses /a/, however...as /a/ is somewhat...between Finnish ä /æ/ and Finnish a /α/, anecdotally many speakers whose native languages only have /a/ do have trouble differentiating between those two vowels.
Tor_Hoyerdal:...the Finnish letters "e", "ö" and "o" are techically associated with the phonemes /ę/, ø/ and /ǫ/, respectively. They're, like, mid, not high-mid/close-mid. Though, again, using /e/, /ø/ and /o/ shouldn't really cause any confusion.

venyke (-keen,ttä,-keitä) - elastic;^..........kirjoitus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - writing, scripture (Long word -Us, from a verb)
(Long words ending in -lO add either -itA or -jA in m.part., being the former more common.) (henkilö)
(Long nouns ending in -lA change -A for -OitA in m.part. (myymälä, sairaala, vankila)
(A huge amount of verbs ending in -llA with either -e- (-ellA) or -i- (-illA) in front, are frequentative verbs, e.g. express a repeated or a long lasting action.)
(Long words ending in -ntO add -jA in m.part.) (uskonto)............................................................... -k- .......... -kk- ............................... (venyke)
(Old words ending in -e undergo reverse consonnant gradation: they have weak base in y.infinitiivi (-d-), while -t- is in the strong base.)
(suhde, taide, tiede)

Who are you? I am Aino: Possession's suffixes: minun nimeni................ sinun nimesi..............hänen nimensä
.....................................................................meidän nimemme..........teidän nimenne..........heidän nimensä

Hello! Who are you? I am Väinö: Kyllä. Minä olen tyttö......(kyllä - ).....(tyttö (-tön,ä,jä) - girl) (2-syllable word -O)...(koira (n,a,-ia) - dog) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o- (-oi-))

pieni_chilipalko:...Mitä opiskelet?... -(Opiskelen) suomea...........Koskeeko hänen vatsaansa?... -Ei... / Jo..........If you wanted to give longer/alternative answers, you could also say:.....- Ei koske / Ei, ei koske. - Joo, koskee / Joo, kyllä koskee / Kyllä koskee / Koskee
...vatsa (n,a,-oja) - abdomen, stomach (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a) (other alternatives include: maha...and massu (n,a,ja) - tummy) (2-syllable word -U)..........vatsa+n - stomach's (possessive).....vatsa+...nsa - his/their stomach.....The -nsa indicates possession:.........minun koirani..............sinun koirasi............hänen koiransa...
..............................................................................................................................................meidän koiramme........teidän koiranne........heidän koiransa...

..................................................(suomi (-en,-ea) - Finnish) (The word for a language is normally the same as for a country, the former written in lower case and the latter starting with a capital letter.)
..................................................koskea (-en,-i,-enut) + ILL - to hurt (I groupe verb -eA)
(2-syllable and polysyllable words ending in -V double in Illatiivi the strong base -V- before -n.)

Sorry, Väinö: "Sorri Väinö". Kai me stadialaiset osataa tätä suomee kans. - Iha mahoton ois alkaa heti hyväksymään kaikkia eri puhekielen muotoja (tietty muutki ku stadin slangi ja muut tän alueen variantit pitäs ottaa huomioon), ku perusasioissaki on vielä puutteita................sorri = anteeksi
..................stadilainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) = helsinkiläinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) (The inhabitants of a city are, like of a country, called out of the name city + -lAinen.)
..................(osata (-an,-si,-nnut) + PART - to know) (IV groupe verb -AtA)..........me osataa = me osataan = me osaamme..........suomee = suomea
..................kans = kanssa - too, also ..........iha = ihan - quite..........mahoton = mahdoton
..................ois = olisi (olisi is Conditional mood, -isi- is the marker, attached to the strong stem at the place of -vat (and of -e- when preceeding).)
..................alkaa (--an,-oi,-anut) + III INF ILL - to start (I groupe verb -aa, first vowel -a, -k- --> --) (When a verb follows other verb, usually the third infinitive is used for the second verb. Its marker is -mA- which is added to the strong form (at the place of -vAt). It also declines in some cases. When the first verb is for moving toward a place, the illatiivi (-mAAn) is always used for the second verb. There are also verbs that just require the second one to be in this case.)
..................heti - right away..........hyväksyä (-n,-i,-nyt) - to accept (I groupe verb -UA)..........eri - different (Eri doesn't vary, it's like an adverb.)
..................muoto (-don,a,ja) - form (2-syllable word -O, -t- --> -d-)..........tietty = tietenkin - of course..........tietty (-tyn,ä,jä) - certain = specific (2-syllable -U, -tt- --> -t-)
..................muutki ku = muutkin kuin <-- muu +
-kin - kuin..........-kin (ei verbi) - also..........muu ku = muu kuin - other than, besides
..................tän = tämän <-- = (tämä)..........alue (en,tta,ita) - area, region (old word -e)..........variantti (--tin,a,-eja) - variant (Polysyllable word -i, -tt- --> -t-)
..................pitäs = pitäisi <-- ..........(pitää (--dän,i,-änyt) (NOM + ~ + INF) - needs to be (done)) (I groupe verb -AA, -t- -->-d-)
..................ottaa (--tan,-i,-anut) - to take (I gropue verb -AA, -tt- --> -d-)..........huomio (n,ta,ita) - attention ( -iO)..........ottaa huomioon - to take into account
..................ku (= kun - when)..........perusasia - the essential..........perus- - basic..........asia (n,a,-oita) - thing (abstract) ( -iA)
..................(vielä - still)..........puute (-teen,tta,,ita) - deficiency (old word -e, -t- <-- -tt-)
.................. - Anteeksi Väinö. Kai me helsinkiläiset osaamme tätä suomea kanssa. - Ihan mahdoton olisi alkaa heti hyväksymään kaikkia eri puhekielen muotoja (tietenkin muutkin kuin Helsingin slangi ja muut tämän alueen variantit pitäisi ottaa huomioon), kun perusasioissakin on vielä puutteita.)

Sorry: anteeks = anteeksi: * sorry (when YOU messed up)...............(olla (tosi) pahoillaan - to be (really) sorry): * only appropriate in actually serious situations
...................................... * excuse me (when interrupting)...........................(tosi - really)................................................ * when it's NOT your fault

Sorry!: anteeksi: sorry (I shouldn't have done that)..........sori - sorry (when accidentally bumped into s.o.)..........oho - whoops (rather rude)

nice: (= comfortable) - mukava.......... (= fun) - kiva.......... (= kind, well-behaved) - kiltti

"Hello! Who are you?" (Unfortunately the link https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/4407 ... ho-are-you is no longer available) :
..............................Missä sinä olet? Sinä olet täällä...........Keskipohjanmaa - Middle Ostrobothnia..........Pohjoispohjanmaa - Northern Ostrobothnia
..............................keski- - middle....................pohjois- - northern ( <-- pohjoisen (y.gen. from pohjoinen.)

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:06 am, edited 17 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Use common phrases Part 1

Ja: (kuppi (--pin,a,-eja) - cup) (2-syllable new word -i)..........(hattu (-tun,a,ja) - a hat) (2-syllable word -U)..........sukka (--kan,a,-ia) - a sock (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -u)
.................haukka (--kan,a,-oja) - a hawk (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a ( -au-)).................(äiti (--din,ä,-ejä) - a mother (2-syllable new word -i)
.....In the Finnish parliament there is a table on the wall that shows how many deputies have voted "jaa" (yes (in voting)) or "ei" (no).

Jee: äänekäs (-kään,tä,-käitä) - loud, noisy ( -As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs)).....-->.....äänekkäästi - noisily
The adjective's comparative is formed from the genetive base changing -n for -mpi (äänekäs --> äänekkään --> äänekkäämpi).
Multiplicative case derives adverbs of manner from adjectives. -sti replaces -n from genetiivi (äänekäs --> äänekkään --> äänekkäästi).
The adverb's comparative of -sti verbs is normally formed by replacing it by -mmin (äänekkäästi --> äänekkäämmin).

Hearing jee: jii - J (letter)..........sii (n,tä,tä) - (a lower side's timber supporting a birch-bark roof)..........(ä (n,tä,-itä) - ice) (1-syllable words)

Tervetuloa, jee: hurraa = jee = oujee = jessss = jippii = jihuu..........jipii - oo (so nice)
........................Kiva kun tulit...........Mukava kun pääsitte tulemaan...........Kiva kun pääsitte käymään.
........................kiva kun = mukava kun - good that, nice that..........pääs (-en,-i,-syt) + III Inf. ILL - to manage to (III groupe verb -stA)
........................(käy - to come (...to visit)..........logiikka (--kan,a,--oita/-oja) - a logic (long words -kA, -kk- --> -k-) (One use of Adessiivi is instrumental (with what.)

AutumnoColorum:...Millä vitun logiikalla jee?

Onnea: (onni (-en,-ea,a) - happiness) (2-syllable old -i)..........(paljon onnea - congratulations)
............paljon onnea vaan - happy birthday to you..........vaan - only

Onnea! Kiitos!: onnea + ILL - good luck in..........(peli (n,ä,-ejä) - a game) (2-syllable new and polysyllable words ending in -i add -in in Illatiivi.)
........................koe (-keen,tta,-keita) - a test (Old words ending in -e change -tA from m.part. for -siin in m.illatiivi.)
........................Toivotan sinulle paljon onnea...........toivottaa (--tan,-i,-anut) + ALL - to wish smb (I groupe verb -AA, -tt- --> -t-)
........................tsemppi (--pin,ä,-ejä) - fluke, good luck (2-syllable new -i, -pp- --> -p-)..........tsemppiä - (wishing a) good luck!
........................onnekas (-kaan,ta,-kaita) - lucky ( -As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs))..........onnentoivotus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - congratulation

Onnea Anna: * congratulations: onnittelut, onneksi olkoon, (rare, formal): onnentoivotukset / onnentoivotuksia.......... * good luck: onnea matkaan
....................onnittelu (n,a,ja/ita) = onnentoivotus (Plurysyllable words ending in -lU add both -jA and -itA in m.part. (with -jA preferrence).)
(Olkoon is the third singular person imperative (let it). Its marker is -kOOn which is attached to the infinitive stem (for III groupe removing -CA).)

....................matka (n,a,-oja) - a trip, a journey ( -tk- )
....................hae - search (<--hakea)..........syntymävuosi - a year of birth..........vuosi (-den,-tta,a) - a year (2-syllable old word -i (-si))
.-...................syntymä (n,ä,-iä) - a birth (Long words ending in -mA change -A for -iA in m.part..)
....................yhteensä - alltogether..........alle + NUM - below, under

Jee, onnea: Minun lausen se tarvi olla oikein...........(lause (en,tta,ita) - a clause (a sentence))..........(tarvita (-tsen,-tsi,-nnut) - to need (to))
(V groupe verbs usually end in -itA and change in Present -tA for -tse- and in Past Tense for -tsi- before personal endings.)
.........................tarvita......Present: minä tarvitsen........sinä tarvitset........hän/se tarvitsee........me tarvitsemme........te tarvitsette........he/se tarvitsevat
......................................Past Tense: minä tarvitsin........sinä tarvitsit........hän/se tarvitsi........me tarvitsimme........te tarvitsitte........he/se tarvitsivat

Tervetuloa ja onnea: Turpiin vaan ja onnea. (Just give him/her in the chin and good luck)..........turpa (--van,a,-ia) - a muzzle (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -u, -p- --> -v-)
..............................(M.Illatiivi for words ending in -iA in m.part., is formed changing -A for -in.)

Terve ja tervetuloa: Hei ja tervetuloa is a more common phrase and sounds better.

Rk513:...haloo in Finnish...it's only used on the phone or in the sense of "Hello? Earth calling!"...Ilona404195:...or "Haloo, oletko vielä siellä?" Asking are you still there on the lines.

Welcome and good luck: lykkyä tykö = tsemppiä = onnea (the last one needs to specify johonkin ILL)
......................................jokin (-n-,-ta-) - something (When an ending is surrounded by dashes, it's put before the italic script which is conserved after.)
......................................"Tervettuloa" is the correct pronunciation, but one of the "t"-s isn't supposed to be written. The word comes from terve-tuloa, and terve came from older terveh. That final h diminished, so whenever it's not before a consonant, people pronounce it either as a mere glotal stop or not at all. But before a consonant, the vanished h causes that following consonant to be doubled. But only in speech, not in writing.
......................................tervetullut (-een,ta,-eita) - welcome (adjective) (-nUt participles (-CUt for III groupe) add -tA in y.part., change -Ut for -een in y.gen. and for -eitA in m.part..)
......................................hyvä + nimi - go (+ name) (encouraging)

Yay! Good luck!: Toivon sinulle paljon onnea.....(toivoa (-n,-i,-nut) - to hope for, to wish) (I groupe verbs -OA)
..........................B --> zombi (n,a,-eja) - a zombie (New word -i)..........banaani (n,a,-eja/-eita) - a banana (3-syllable word -VVCi)
..........................C --> cancan (in,ia,eja) - cancan (Foreign word -C)..........cafè (n,a,ja) - a café (New word -e)
..........................D --> domino (n,a,ita/ja) - a domino (3 syllable word-O)..........video (n,ta,ita) - a video ( -VO)
..........................F --> ufo (n,a,ja) - an ufo (2-syllable word -O)..........festivaali (n,a,-eja) - a festival (Polysyllable word -i)
..........................G --> agentti (--tin,a,-eja) - an agent (3-syllable word -CCi, -tt- --> -t-)..........gorilla (n,a,-oita/-oja) - a gorilla
(Words ending in -llA behave like ending in -kA/-kkA - changing -A for either -OitA or -OjA in m,partitiivi.)
..........................H --> hikka (--kan,a,-oja) - a hiccup (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i)..........haiku (n,a,ja) - a haiku (2-syllable word -U, NO -k- --> --)
..........................J --> jeti (n,ä,ejä) - a yeti (2-syllable new word -i, NO -t- --> -d-)..........jojo (n,a,ja) - a yo-yo (2-syllable word -O)
..........................K --> kilogramma (n,a,-oja) - a kilogram..........riski (n,ä,-ejä) - a risk (2-syllable new word -i, -sk-)
..........................L --> Englanti (-nin,a) - England..........lootus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - a lotus (Loan words ending in -Us decline like words ending in -Os.)
..........................M --> samba (n,a,-oja) - a samba (2-syllable words -a, first letter -a)..........maskotti (--tin,a,-eja) - a mascot (3-syllable word -CCi, -tt- --> -t-)
..........................N --> nuudeli (n,a,-eita/-eja) - noodle (3-syllable word -VCi)..........fani (n,a,-eja) - a fan (2-syllable new word -i)
..........................P --> panda (n,a,-oja) - a panda (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a)..........sponsori (n,a,-eita/-eja) - a sponsor (3-syllable word -VCi)
..........................Q --> tequila (n,a,-oja/-oita) - a tequila (An exception of a 3-syllable word ending in -lA, preferring -OjA in m,partitiivi rather than -OitA.)
..................................quiche (n,A,jA) - a quiche (New word -e)
..........................R --> rockmusiikki - rock music..........rock (in,ia,eja) - rock (foreign word -C)..........(musiikki (--kin,a,-eja) - music) (3-syllable word -CCi, -kk- --> -k-)
..................................dinosaurus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - a dinosaur (Loan word -Us)
..........................S --> silkki (--kin,ä,-ejä) - a silk (2-syllable new word -i)..........illuusio (n,ta,ita) - an illusion ( -iO)
..........................T --> tango (n,a,ja) - a tango (2-syllable word -O)..........pessimisti (n,ä,-ejä) - a pessimist (Plurysyllable word -i)
..........................V --> diiva (n,a, oja) - a diva (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i ( -ii- ) )..........vampyyri
..........................W --> kiwi (n,ä,-ejä) - a kiwi (2-syllable new words -i)..........watti (--tin,a,-eja) - a watt (2-syllable new words -i, -tt- --> -t-)
..........................X --> ex-partneri (n,a,-eita/-eja) (3-syllable words -VCi)
..........................Z --> zen (in,iä,-ejä) - zen (Foreign words -C)..........gorgonzola (n,a) - gorgonzola
..........................KK --> mokka (--kan,a,-ia) - mocha (2-syllable words -a, first vowel -o, -kk- --> -k-)..........gekko (-kon,a,ja) - a gecko (2-syllable word -O, -kk- --> -k-)
..........................LL --> balladi (n,a,-eja) - a ballad (An exception of 3-syllable word ending in -VCi, changing -i only for -eja in m.part..)
...................................karamelli (n,a,-eja) (Polysyllable word -i)
..........................MM --> gramma (n,a,-oja) - a gram (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a)
..........................NN --> savanni (n,a,-eja) - a savannah (3-syllable word -CCi)
..........................PP --> (ooppera)
..........................RR --> terrieri (n,ä,-eitä/-ejä) - a terrier (3-syllable word -VCi)
..........................SS --> (passi (n,a,-eja) - a passport) (2-syllable new word -i)..........basso (n,a,ja) - bass (2-syllable word -O)
..........................TT --> botti (--tin,a,-eja) - a bot (2-syllable new word -i, -tt- --> -t-)..........altto (-ton,a,ja) - alto (2-syllable new words -i, -tt- --> -t-)
..........................NG --> tango (n,a,ja) - a tango

Tervetuloa, Matti: venelaituri - a boat dock..........vene (en,ttä,itä) - a boat (old word -e)..........laituri (n,a,-eita/-eja) - a pier, a dock (3-syllable words -VCi)

MirkaLintu:...Words that end in -e...not recent loan words, have an "invisible" sound at the end called the glottal stop (marked with ʔ). It's when you close your throat without making any sound. We do this because the words ending in -e used to end either -eh or -ek and as the -h/-k slowly faded away during time it left the glottal stop as reminder of itself. Because of the glottal stop compound words that have an -e at the end of the first word and a -consonnant at the beginning of the second word sound like they would have a geminate consonnant in the middle. For example:...venelaituri (boat + pier, pronounced "venellaituri").
If the second word of a compound word begins with a vowel there is a double stop in the middle. For example sadeaamu (a rainy morning, pronounced "sade''aamu"), perheauto (a family car, pronounced "perhe''auto"), helleaalto (a heat wave, pronounced "helle''aalto").
So, why is it a double stop between -e and a vowel? Because, all Finnish words that start with a vowel, actually start with the glottal stop....

...........................sade (-teen,tta,-teita) - a rain (old word -e, -d- <-- -t-)..........(aamu (n,a,ja) - a morning) (2-syllable -U)
...........................(perhe (en,ttä,itä) - a family) (Old word -e)..........(auto (n,a,ja) - a car) (2-syllable word -O, NO -t- --> -d-)
...........................helle (en,ttä,itä) - a swelter (Old word -e)..........aalto (-lon,a,ja) - a wave (2-syllable word -O, -lt- --> -ll-)

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:17 am, edited 11 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Use common phrases Part 2

No terve: kaivo (n,a,ja) - a well (water source) (2-syllable -o)..........terveys (-den,-ttä,-ksiä) - health (Words ending in -Us derived from an adjective (here from terve) change -s for -den in y.gen., for -ttA in y.part. and for -ksiA in m.part..)

hauska: hassu (n,a,ja) - funny (2-syllable -U)..........huvittava (n,a,-ia) - amusing (Long -vA)..........hupsu (n,a,ja) - silly = funny (2-syllable -U)
............Tämä on hauskaa...........olla hauskaa - to be fun..........mukava tavata = hauska tavata..........ei ole hauskaa - not to be fun

Hearing hauska: haaska (n,a,-oja) - a carcass (2-syllable words -a, first vowel-a- (-aa-))..........(äiskä (n,ä,-iä) - a mom)

Sinä olet mukava ja hauska: Sinä olet niin mukava! Sinä olet niin hauska..........(niin - so)..........(iloinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - happy = jolly)
............................................hauskaa joulua = hyvää joulua = iloista joulua..........joulu (n,a,ja) - a Christmas (2-syllable word -U)
(Greetings are in Partitiivi. Logical, because they are connected to the verbs toivottaa or toivoa which demand this case.)
............................................Suomen kieli on mukava(a) ja hauska(a).

Hearing Matti: mätti <-- ttää (--tän,-i,-änyt) - to swallow=to gulp down (I groupe verb -AA)..........ti (--din,a,-ejä) - roe (=fish eggs) (2.syllable new word -i, -t- --> -d-)
.........................made (-teen,tta,-teita) - a burbot ((old -e, -d- <-- -t-)

Kippis - cheers (toast)..........kiitti - cheers (=thanks)..........moikka - cheers (=bye)..........pohjanmaan kautta = kippis
............kautta (GEN +~) - through(out), via..........Pohjanmaa (n,ta) - Ostrobothnia..........pohja (n,a,-ia) - a North (2-syllable words -a, first vowel -o)
............skool = hölökynkölökyn = perseeseen..........perse (en,ttä,itä) - an arse (Old wrods ending in -e change -n from y.gen. for -seen in y.Illatiivi.)

Liisä, sinä olet hauska: hullunkurinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - zany (a weird way of being funny, comical)..........kummallinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - weird
..................................Outo maku (jonkun) suussa...........(outo (-don,a,ja) - funny=strange) (2-syllable -o, -t- --> -d-)..........joku (-n-n,-ta-ta,-ita-ita) - somebody

Paljon onnea: ärsyttää (--tän,-i,-änyt) - exasperate (I groupe verb -AA, -tt- --> -t-)..........ku = kun

Vaakkux: Arsyttää ku teen kaikki tehtävät si nopeesti ni sit tulee kirjoius virhe.

......................(tehdä (--en,--ki,-nyt) - to do) (An exceptional II groupe verb with a special consonnant gradation, becoming the strong base -k- a -h- in infinitiivi and disappearing (--) in the weak base. Furthermore, an extra -e appears in present before the personal endings, replaced by -i- in Past Tense.)
................................Present: minä teen..........sinä teet..........hän/se tekee..........me teemme..........te teette..........he/ne tekevät
................................Past Tense: minä tein..........sinä teit..........hän/se teki..........me teimme..........te teitte..........he/ne tekivät

......................tehtävä (n,ä,-iä) - a task (Long words -vA)..........si = niin..........nopeesti = nopeasti - fast =quickly..........ni = ja..........sit = sitten - then
......................kirjoius (-ksen,ta,-ksia) = kirjoitus..........(virhe (en,ttä,itä) - a mistake) (Old word -e)
......................Ärsyttää, kun teen kaikki tehtävät niin nopeasti ja sitten tulee kirjoitus virhe.

Jee! Paljon onnea: parhain terveisin - best wishes (at the end of a written text)

Paljon onnea! Kippis: iloista syntymäpäivää = onnellista syntymäpäivää = hyvää syntymäpäivää - happy birthday (paljon onnea is more common)
.................................syntymäpäivä - a birthday..........(onnellinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - happy (fortunate, lucky))

Paljon onnea! Kiitos: paljo (n,a,ja) - voluminous

No tervetuloa: Kiitos vastauksesta!..........(vastaus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - an answer) (noun -Us from a verb)..........no mutta, - oh hi (positive(ly surprised))
......................no niin - finally..........- --> +: No, tervetuloa! --> No tervetuloa! --> No mutta, tervetuloa! --> No niin, tervetuloa!

Anne-MariP3:"No" is...like a filler word used in many different contexts. For example "yea but..." "no mutta..." in arguments. "No mitä sitten" "so what". "No mitä nyt taas" "oh, not again...It adds more flavor to the sentences but is not necessary to convey a message.

No kiitos:no mitä - (now) what..........no anteeksi - well, sorry (sarcastic)..........no? - well? ("tell me" or "won't you stop?")
...............Kyllä. Ei tarkoittaa ei.

Kippis ja paljon onnea: Genetive is when someone owns something: auton - the car's, ihmisen - the person's, ikkunan - the window's. Genetive / genetiivi noun always ends in letter -n but not every word that ends in -n is genetiivi...........
...................................(ihminen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - human being, person)..........ikkuna (n,a,-oita) - a window (Polysyllable noun -nA)
...................................Partitive always ends in -a, . It's usually used in sentences like: Katso kakkua - Look at the cake! Söin pasteijaa - I ate some cake.
...................................katsoa (-n,-i,-nut) + PART - to look at (I groupe verb -OA)..........(kakku (-kun,a,ja) - a cake) (2-syllable word -U, -kk- --> -k-)
...................................pasteija (n,a,-oita) - pasty; a paste (Long words ending in -ijA change -a for -oita in m.part..)
...................................(syö (-n,söin,-nyt) - to eat) (II groupe verb)..........(enemmän - more (of what I still have but not enough))..........tänään - today

pieni_chilipalko:...You look beautiful today...näytät kauniilta tänään...

...................................näyttää (--tän,-i,-änyt) + ABL - to look (+adj.) (Ablatiivi is formed out of the genitive stem changing -n for -ltA.) (I groupe verb -AA, -tt- --> -t-)
...................................kaikkea hyvää = hyvää jatkoa - Best wishes..........jatko (n,a,ja) - a continuation (addition, extension) ( -tk- )
...................................monet onnittelut (M.nominatiivi looks exactly like y.genetiivi changing -n for -t.)
...................................kulaus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - a draught = a drink (nouns -Us from a verb)

Sinä olet hauska: mukava etumatka - good head start..........etumatka - lead..........etu- - front, fore-

Anna, sinä olet hauska: ty (-dyn,ä,jä) - a nonsense (words -U)..........(pöy (--dän,ä,-iä) - a table) (words)

Kasvisnomnom:...they...underline just one word...Rk513:...to point out that it is a new word...That could be helpful if they introduce "pötyä" (nonsense/lie) when...already had "pöytä" like 4 lessons ago.

Cheers - hölkyn kölkyn (Unfortunately the link https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/42298686/Cheers is no longer available)

Tervetuloa, Liisa: Toivottakaa Liisa tervetulleeksi!..... (The second plural person imperative is formed by adding -kAA to the infinitive stem (for I groupe removing -A).)
.........................toivottaa jku tervetulleeksi - to welcome smb

Well cheers: muumi (n,a,-eja) - a Moomin (2-syllable new word -i) ..........home (en,tta,ita) - a mildew, a mold (old word -e)..........yäk - yuck

pieni_chilipalko: The Moomins (sw. mumin, fi. muumit) is a series of books and comics written mainly by the Finnish author-artist Tove Jansson between the years 1939-1980, which has also been turned into several animated series, plays etc. Most Finns have some kind of connection to the Moomies. People often grew up watching the 90s. Japanese-Finnish-Dutch animated series, own several Moomin mugs by Arabia (on the Japanese Yamaka) and so on. It's very popular.
Rk513:...the first time I saw "I'm home in English I was shocked because...I thought "Minä olen homeessa?? Yäk!"

..................(A way Finnish has to express a state is combining the verb olla with a noun in Inessiivi. So if something has mold, is "in mold" - on homeessa.)

Congratulations! Cheers: omistusliite - an owning suffixe......omistus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - an ownership (noun -Us, from verb)......liite (-teen,tä,-teitä) - an affix (old word -e, -t- <-- -tt-)

Well: -Arvaa mitä!/Tiedätkö mitä? -No?/MItä?/No mitä?..........arvata (-an,-si,-nnut) - to guess (IV groupe verb -AtA, NO -v- <-- -p-)
........tietää (--dän,--si,--nnyt/-änyt) - to know (that exists) ( -t- --> -d-) (I groupe verbs ending in -VVtAA usually change -tA- for -si- in Past Tense. Tietää is an exception for -nUt participle, changing the whole -tää for -nnyt, giving "tiennyt" as a result.):
....................Present: minä tiedän..........sinä tiedät..........hän/se tietää..........me tiedämme..........te tiedätte..........he/ne tietävät
....................Past Tense: minä tiesin..........sinä tiesit..........hän/se tiesi..........me tiesimme..........te tiesitte..........he/ne tiesivät

Anna, you are funny: Anna, sie oot hauska......Anna, sää oot hauska...........sie = sää = = sinä
................................Hauskaa päivää!..........Hauskaa koulupäivää!..........koulupäivä - a schoolday..........koulu (n,a,ja) - a school (2-syllable words -U)
................................Hauska nähdä..........(hdä (--en,--ki,-nyt) - to see) (An exceptional II groupe verb with -k-/-h- consonnant gradation and an -e- appearing in Present. Conjugates exactly the same way as tehdä.)
................................Hauska tutustua (never met before) and hauska tavata (already knew) are mainly used before saying bye: Oli hauska tutustua! / Oli hauska tavata!
................................In all the above hauska is the most natural way, even if it means "nice" in English. Mukava and kiva can be equally used instead though, with the difference that the latter is a pretty dull, overused word.
................................Se oli hauska tarina..........tarina (n,a,-oita) - a story (long noun -nA)
................................Heh, hauska vitsi!..........vitsi (n,ä,-ejä) - a joke (2-syllable new word -i)

Well, thank you: Koska puheessa, kun olemme kyllästyneet, voimme sanoa "selvä, kiitos...kuitenkin".....................(koska - because)
.........................kyllästynyt (-een,tä,-eitä) - annoyed, tired ( -nUt/-CUt participle)..........(sanoa (-n,-i,-nut) - to say) (I groupe verbe -OA)
.........................(voida (-n,-,nut) - can (=to be able/allowed)) (II groupe verbs ending in -idA have exactly the same present and past tenses.)
...................................Present: minä voin..........sinä voit..........hän/se voi..........me voimme..........te voitte..........he/ne voivat
...................................Past Tense: minä voin..........sinä voit..........hän/se voi..........me voimme..........te voitte..........he/ne voivat

...................................selvä - all right!..........kuitenkin - anyway, after all

"Well hello" (Unfortunately the link https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/40579571/Well-hello is no longer available) :
....................Niin, terve - Oh yeah, hello (It sounds more like being bit absent-minded and that someone greeted you and you didn't notice that at first; or that you're not really feeling it today and are answering with bit absent-minded tone because of that.)

Welcome, Cheers: keijo (n,a,ja) - a moron, idiot

Last edited by greg34bg on Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:35 am, edited 8 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Talk about people Part 1

(aina - always) ..........koko ajan - the whole time..........(aika (ajan,a,-oja) - time)

Matti is a man: Olisin todella kiitollinen..........(todella - really)..........kiitollinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - thankful

Hearing hän: haan <-- haka (--an,a,-oja) - a paddock (2-syllable words -a, first vowel -a, -k- --> --)..........hään <-- (-än,ä,-iä) - carbon monoxide (2-syllable word, -k-, --)

"Nainen" can both mean a woman or the woman. A way to specify is saying tuo nainen or se nainen (literally that woman).
.............(tuo (n,ta) - that (+sub))..........(se (n,-itä) - that (+sub))

Sinä olet aina hauska: Kivä nähdä taas..........(taas - again)..........(kiltti (--tin,ä,-ejä) - kind) (2-syllable new word -i, -tt- --> -t-)

anne483250:...hauska...means someone who makes you laugh. Nice...someone who is kiltti (kind) or mukava (nice). It's only in the greeting Nice to meet you that we would translate nice to hauska (Hauska tavata). That's more like an idiom than a direct translation.

Excuse me, who is she: If X is unknown, then:
............................................................Hän on X leads to the question Kuka hän on? (Who is he/she?)
............................................................X on Pekka answers the question Kuka Pekka on? (Who is Pekka?)
............................................................Hän on Pekka for yes/no question Onko hän Pekka?
................................................................................Pekka (--kan,a,-oja) (a male given name) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -e, -kk- --> -k-)
...................................Kukas sinä olet?.....-s suffix is commonly used in spoken language to soften interrogative words......Missäs tanskalainen lelu on?
...................................(tanskalainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Danish, a Dane)..........(lelu (n,a,ja) - a toy) (2-syllable word -U)

Aino is always nice: Aina (n,a,-oja) (a rare female given name)..........Anna (apart from the name) is (also!) antaa's y.imperatiivi. (give!)

Liisa on nainen - Liisa is a woman. If we'd like to say Liisa is the woman or The woman is Liisa, it would be Nainen on Liisa. or coloquially Liisa on se nainen.
........................Eeva (n,a,-oja) - Eve (a female given noun)
........................Mitä tarkoitat?..........tarkoittaa can also be "mean" in the sense of "to refer to, to want to say".

Hän on lapsi: kielikello - a tattletale..........Se ja hän puhutussa kielessä...........puhuttu (-tun,a,ja) - spoken
....................(Inessiivi is used when something is in something, even if it's an abstract one: "it" and "he/she" are "in" a language.)
....................Suomi on maailman onnellisin maa...........ilma (n,a,-oja) - air (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i)
....................maailma (n,a,-oja/-oita) - a world (An exceptional compound word, changing the -a from -lma for -oja or -oita in m.part..)
Adjectives ending in -nen replace it for -sin in superlative mode.

No, sinä olet aina mukava:

3_Chat_Owls: Funny is..."hauska"...more entertaining, and "mukava" (=nice) is more friendly, kind(ly), pleasant...Maybe...a nice "mukava" person is not necessarily so entertaining. Maybe a "hauska" person is more active...But "hauska" person is (a) positive expression. Too funny or ridiculous person is perhaps "hassu"...a light form from the word crazy. (A boisterous pet can be "hassu koira" sometimes...

Anteeksi, kuka hän on?: Onko hän lapsi?..........Missä hän on?..........Miksi hän on täällä?[/b]..........(miksi - why)
...................................sisko (n,a,ja) - a sister (2-syllable word -o)..........ti (--din,ä,-ejä) - an aunt (2-syllable word -i, -t- --> -d-)
...................................For questions without a question word, -kO is added to the first word of the sentence: Onko nimesi X?..........Menetkö kotiin?
(Illatiivi as a locative case indicates moving to the inner part of something, ending up inside.)..........(koti (--din,a,-eja) - a home) (2-syllable word -i, -t- --> -d-)

He is Otso: In coloquial speech for people is used se instead of hän .
..................People in health services refer more often as hän rather than se to their patients.
..................Pets are quite often refered as hän rather than se.

Pyry is a child: Ollu joku huumoriveikko tekemässä tätä...........ollu = ollut..........joku (-n-n,-ta-ta,-ita-ita) - some / one
.......................huumori (n,a,-eita/-eja) - humour (3-syllable word -ri)..........veikko (-kon,a,ja) - a buddy (2-syllable word -O)
(The inessiivi form of a third infinitive (-mAssA) is used for an ongoing action as a state of being. (Olla koulussa lukemassa.))
.......................natiainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - a kid (=a chidl)

Kuka hän on?: opettaja ja tämän oppilaat..........opettaja ja hänen oppilaansa
....................Tämä is used like the english they especially when talking about the first of multiple subject (that could be referred as "hän").
.......................................................................................But also talking about someone in a less personal way.
....................kuka tämä on is not usually used for the singular "who are they"(unless maybe pointing one from a picture).
....................Kuka tuo on is: * more impersonal, * with a blunt a rude tone, * even degradating.)
....................Ja mitä kieltä hän mahtaa puhua?..........(puhua + PART (kieltä)..........(ruotsi (n,a) - Swedish (language)) (2-syllable new word -i)
....................hindi (n,ä) - Hindi (language) (2-syllable new word -i)..........(viro (n,a) - Estonian (language))..........(espanja (n,a) - Spanish (language))..........italia (n,a) - Italian (language)
....................(ranska (n,a) - French (language))..........(saksa (n,a) - German (language))..........hollanti - Dutch (language) (-nt- --> -nn-)..........arabia (n,a) - Arabic (language)
....................(tanska (n,a) - Danish (language))..........mandariinikiina (n,a) - Mandarin..........(unkari (n,a) - Hungarian (language)) (2-syllable new word -i)
....................(japani (n,a) - Japanese (language)) (2-syllable new word -i).........liettua (n,a) - Lithuanian (language)

She is Anna: Se on sininen...........(sininen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - blue)

You are always nice: vaikeus (-den,-tta,-ksia) - a difficulty (noun -Us from an adjective)..........hiippailla (-en,-i,-lut) - to sneak (III group verb -llA, freq. -illA)

Magnus307228: The word order of Finnish should be free...
Riimususi: Understood you might be, but sound like Yoda you will...In this phrase the basic meaning might stay about the same even if you change the word order, but the focus and implications change...if you start with "aina", like "Aina sinä olet mukava"...the phrase now gets a bit of a sarcastic tone...
Janmeeba: ...some dear loving granny complimenting you about how you are always so nice and well-behaved...would be..."Sinä se olet aina (niin) mukava"...se (=it)...'d translate...as..."Oh you are always being (so) nice".
As for Aina sinä olet mukava"...somebody is complaining about your repeating behaviour(...if you are getting taken advantage because of all the time because of that trait...). For example: "Aina sinä olet vaikeuksissa" would mean "You are always being in trouble"....Another example: "Aina sinä olet hiippailemassa" meaning "You are always sneaking around" or "You always keep sneaking around"...it's actually...mind blowing what kinds of different nuances you can create in Finnish, just with such small changes to the sentence...

..........Te olette aina mukava. if te is used as a very formal singular "you"...........Te olette aina mukavia if te is the plural "you".

Pyry on lapsi: ulkona - outside..........pyryttää (--tän,-i,-änyt) - to snow storm outside (I groupe verbs -AA, -tt- --> -t-)

Suvi418653:...There is snow storm otuside. Ulkona on pyry. It is storming snow outside. Ulkona pyryttää..............pyrkiä (--in,-,-nyt) - to strive to (I groupe verb -iA, -k- --> --)
.................pyristel (-en,-i,-lyt) - to thrash around (III groupe verb -llA)..........pyrstö (n,ä,jä) - a bird tail (2-syllable word -O)
.................pyrkyri (n,ä,-eitä/-ejä) - a pusher (3-syllable word -ri)..........pyrähtää (--dän,-i,-änyt) - to sprint (I groupe verb -AA, -ht- --> -hd-)

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Talk about people Part 2

(velho (n,a,ja) - a wizard) = veleho (2-syllable words -O)..........maagi (n,a,-eja) - a mage (2-syllable new word -i)..........taikuri (n,a,-eita/-eja - a magician (3-syllable word -ri)
noita (--dan,a,-ia) - a witch (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o (oi) , -t- --> -d-)..........welho = vanha velho..........wanha = erittäin vanha..........erittäin - very (+adj.)

Hearing velho: vello <-- velloa (-n,-i,-nut) - to swell (I groupe verb -OA)..........verho (n,a,ja) - a curtain (2-syllable word -O)

Hearing Hilla (n,a,-oja) a female given name)..........hila (n,a,-oja) - a grid..........Hilja (n,a,-oja) (a female given name)

Joni on komea: The -A (komeaa) partitive ending is the more common one for -eA adjectives, even if -tA ending (komeata) is also possible.
........................(komea (n,ta,-ita) - handsome) (Adjectives -eA)

Sinä olet komea: (kaunis (-in,ta,-ita) - beautiful) (Adjectives and most old nouns ending in -is decline like most words ending in -As.)
...........................(tti (--tin,ä,-ejä) - pretty) (2-syllable new word -i)..........sievä (n,ä,-iä) - pretty (in a cute way) (2-syllable word)
...........................suloinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - lovely..........söötti (--tin,ä,-ejä) - cute (2-syllable new word -i)

Tyyne on todella mukava: todellako? - really?..........oikeasti? = oikeesti? = really?..........ihanko tosi? - is that so?
........................................Oletko sinä tosissasi? = Ootko (sä) tosissas? - Are you serious?......<--......tosissaan - seriously (litterally "in the true ones")
........................................(2-syllable old words ending in -i add -ssA in m.inessiivi.)..........tosi (-den,-tta,a) - true (2-syllable old word -i (-si))
........................................Ei voi olla totta! (tosi as predicative is used in y.partitiivi. All other cases are uncommon as adjective, but used as adverbs.)
........................................Älä viitsi! - No way! = Ei voi olla totta!..........(älä is the second person singular imperative of the negative verb ei (don't).)
........................................viitsiä (-n,-,-nyt) - to bother (I groupe verb -iA)

Väinö on velho: olla (kyllä) velho - to be quite a wizard...............tietäjä (n,ä,-iä) - a seer (Long words -jA)
........................Se velho oli voimakas...........voimakas (-kaan,ta,-kaita) - strong (-As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs)....<--....voima (n,a,-ia) - power (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o- (oi) )
........................tietokone - a computer..........tieto (-don,a,ja) - knowledge (2-syllable word -O, -t- --> -d-)..........kone (en,tta,ita) - a machine (old word -e)

Joni on aina komea: komea nainen - a "dashing", "impressive" woman..........näyttävä (n,ä,-iä) - showy, impressive (Long word -vA)
...............................komia (n,ta,-oita) = komea (a dialectal word more flexible and gently sounding than komea)
...............................Joni on niin komea (Joni is so handsome) .........Joni on aina ollut komea. (Joni has always been handsome.) (Perfect Tense)

Hilla on todella hauska: (funny from amusing to weird): hauska --> hassu --> outo

Hän on mukava ja komea: hyvännäköinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - good-looking
........................................Suomi on maailman onnellisin maa! Laitan tätä kommenttia välillä myös latinaan, ruotsiin ja japaniin. Toivon, että ymmärrätte tämän viestin. P.S. Suomi on paras maa ja kieli.
........................................laittaa (--tan,-oi,-anut) - to put (I groupe verb -aa, first vowel -a- (ai) )..........kommentti (n,a,-eja - a comment
........................................välillä - occasionally, at times..........latina (n,a) - Latin (language)..........viesti (n,a,-eja) - a message (2-syllable new word -i)
........................................paras (-haan,ta,-haita) - the best (An exceptional -as word, changing for -haan in y.gen., -haita in m.part., adding -ta in y.part.)

Zzzzz...: It's possible...to use komea of a statuesque woman, someone who's tall and a bit robust or chubby, or maybe a bit older, but still very beautiful. Mr Darcy calls Elizabeth Bennet "the handsomest woman" in Pride and Prejudice. That would definitively work in Finnish too, if you're not talking about conventional beauty...

Hän on kaunis ja hauska: He ovat kauniita ja hauskoja.

WeraWolf1: Usually kaunis is for women and komea for men, but you can indeed hear "komea nainen" or "kaunis mies".
Lassi492061:..."kaunis" (beautiful) refers to female persons, though one could claim it is not wrong to use the word even for men.

You are really beautiful: Todella hauska kommentti...........kaunis mies - beautiful man (good-looking in a female, woman-like sense.)
......................................Elät vain (yhden) kerran...........(elää (-än,-i,-änyt) - to live = to be alive) (I groupe verb -AA)...............(vain - only)
......................................kerran - once (No need of adding "yhden" - Genetive already shows it's once.)
......................................(olla pahoillaan - to be sorry --> Olen todella (tosi) pahoillani...........Olet todella (tosi) pahoillasi.
......................................paha (n,a,-oja) - evil --> Olet todella paha. - You are really evil.......................... (plural complement:)

DJmatexx:...with...its plural form...Sande.: "Te olette todella kauniita" is the correct inflection...
"Te olette todella kaunis" is correct as well. However, it is...a very formal way of addressing a person...

Hilla on aina kaunis: ihastuttava (n,a,-ia) - delightful (Long words -vA)..........viehättävä (n,ä,-iä) - attractive

"HIlla is really funny" (Unfortunately the link https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/3995 ... ally-funny is no longer available) :
...............................(apua! - help)...<--...apu (-vun,a,ja) - help (2-syllable word -U, -pp- --> -v-)...............koominen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - comical
...............................oikein + ADJ. - really = tosi = todella = erittäin

Minä olen velho: kade (-teen,tta,-teita) - jealous = envious (Old word -e, -d- <-- -t-)= kadeh
..........................Siinä vanha Väinämöinen..........siinä - there (a small spot, invisible at the moment of speaking)..........itse - self..........virkkaa sanoiksi - to put into words
..........................itse tuon sanoiksi virkki:............virkkaa (--kan,-i,-anut) - to utter (I groupe verb -AA, -kk- --> -k-) (Exception of vowel harmony in passive: "virketään".)
..........................Varjele vakainen Luoja,...varjella (-en,-i,-lut) - to shelter (III groupe verb -llA, freq. -ellA)...vakainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - stable...luoja (n,a,-ia) - a creator (2-syllble
word -a, first vowel -a)....kaitse, kaunoinen Jumala,...kaitsea (-en,-i,-enut) - to shepherd (I groupe verb -eA).....kaunoinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - beautiful.....jumala (n,a,-ia) - a god (Exception
for a long word
-lA
)
--...-miesten mielijuohtehista,...mielijohde - a whim...mieli (-en,-tä,ä) - a mind (2-syllable old word -i (li))...juohdeh = johde (-teen,tta,-teita) - a conductor (Old word -e, -d- <-- -t-)--akkojen ajatuksista!..........akka (--kan,a,-oja) - a hag (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a)......ajatus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - a thought (Noun -Us from a verb)
..........................Kaa'a maalliset katehet,....kaataa (--dan,-oi,-anut) - to overthrow (2-syllable I groupe verb -aa, -t- --> -d-)......maallinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - earthly
..........................ve'elliset velhot voita!.....ve'ellinen = vedellinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - water-....voittaa (--tan,-i,-anut) - to win = to defeat (I groupe verb -AA)
..........................(In Kalevala velho is the opposite of tietäjä)
(M.genetiivi can, just like y.genetiivi express possession or belonging. It normally looks like m.part. changing -A for -en (and -j- for -i- when preceeding).
Other words like mies change -A from y.part. (mies) for -en in m.gen. (miesten).
In m.elatiivi the case ending -stA changes the -(t)A from m.part. (johde --> johteita --> johteista).
Similarly -ksi for m.translatiivi comes at the place of -(t)A from m.partitiivi, changing -j- for -i- when preceeded. (sana --> sanoja --> sanoiksi))

..........................Ookko nää veleho? (Oulu)..........ookko = oletko..........nåå = sinä
..........................Sen verran minäkin noita...........sen verran - that much of it
..........................Words that always necessitate a comma before: että, jos, jotta, koska, kun, kunnes...........jos - if..........jotta - so that..........kunnes - until

Pyry on todella hauska: (mummo (n,a,ja) - grandmother) (2-syllable word -O)

Joni is handsome: hevonen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - a horse...kaunis hevonen - a beautiful horse (with beautiful features)
..............................................................................komea hevonen - a handsome horse (well-built, magestic)
............................maisema (n,a,-ia) - a view.............komea maisema - a breathtaking view
............................temppu (-pun,a,ja) - a trick...........komea temppu - an impressive trick

Sinä olet todella kaunis: hyvin + ADJ. - very

Hilla is a child: hilla (n,a-oja) - a cloudberry (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i) = lakka (--kan,a,-oja) (a bakeapple) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a, -kk- --> -k-)
........................lakka (--kan,a,-oja) - a varnish (lack)..........Alma (n,a,-oja)..........Elvi (n,ä,-ejä)..........Vuokko (-kon,a,ja) (female given names)
........................Aarre (n/-teen,a/tta,ja/-teita)..........Paavo (n,a,ja) (=Paul)..........Unto (n,a,ja) (male given names)

She is a wizard: tästä syystä - that's why..........kirota (-an,-si,-nnut) + AKK. - to curse (IV groupe verb -OtA)..........koskaan (ei + ~) - never (ever)

StephenJac15: Tästä syystä velho kiroaa sinut. Et koskaan lopeta suomen kurssia!

.........................lopettaa (--tan,-t,-anut) - to cease (I groupe verb -AA, -tt- --> -t-)..........noita-akka - a witch (pejorative)

You are really handsome: Tuolla on koiria ja kissoja......(kissa (n,a,-oja) - a cat) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i).....Hän ei ole komea. Ole varovainen! Olkaa varovaisia!

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Describe things Part 1

Maa: Ahvenanmaa (n,ta) - Åland Islands....ahven (en,ta,ia) - a perch ( -en)....Kirkonmaa (n,ta) - Churchland....(kirkko (-kon,a,ja) - a church (2-syllable word -O, -kk- --> -k-)
........vaaka (--'an,a,-oja) (Words ending in -VVkV in the strong base (-V is the same vowel) change -k- for -'- in the weak base.) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a (-aa-) )
........ma - Mo (a shorthand for maanantai (n,ta,ta) - Monday) (Words for days of week act like compound ones, treating -tai as a separate word. That's why -tai words always add -n in y.gen.and -ta in both y.part. and m.part.. They are also written in lower case.)
........isänmaa - a motherland..........isänmaallinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - patriotic..........(isä (n,ä,-iä) - a father) (2-syllable word)
........Saarenmaa (n,ta) - Saaremaa..........(saari (-en,-ta,a) - an island) (2-syllable old words -i (-ri) )
........Hiidenmaa (n,ta) - Hiiumaa..........hiisi (-den,-ttä,ä) - a goblin (2-syllable old word -i (-si))
........Alankomaat (-ita) - The Netherlands..........alanko (-gon,a,ja) - a lowland (Long words ending in -nkO can only add -jA in m.part.)
........(alanko can also come from the verb alkaa + interrogative suffix -kO, and thus mean "shall I start".)

Hearing maa: muu <-- (myy (-n,myi,-nyt) - to sell

Suomi: (tori (n,a,-eja) - a market(place) (2-syllable new word -i) (The external locative case Allatiivi means movement onto a place's surface, with no intention to go inside.)
............perkele! - damn it!..........perkele (en,ttä,itä) - a devil (Old words -e)

Hearing Suomi: mi (n,tä) = mikä..........(suo (n,ta,-oita) - a bog) (1-syllable word)..........saame (n,a) - Sámi (language)

Hearing hyvä: hyve (en,ttä,itä) - a virtue (Old word -e)..........hiiva (n,a,-oja) - a yeast (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i (-ii))..........huvi (n,a,-eja) - a pleasure (2-syllable new word -i)

Väinö on hyvä velho: -tar is used to create female versions of nouns althouhgh it's very rare nowadays.......velhotar (-taren,ta,-taria) - a sorceress ( -tAr, -t- <-- -tt-)
.................................(tarjoilija (n,a,-oita) - a waiter) (Long word -ijA)..........tarjoilijatar (-taren,ta,-taria) - a waitress ( -tAr, -t- <-- -tt-)
.................................näyttelijä (n,ä,-öitä) - an actor (Long word -ijA) ..........näyttelijätär (-tären,tä,-täriä) - an actress ( -tAr, -t- <-- -tt-)
.................................Ilmatar (-taren,ta,-taria) - Maiden of Air (the creator goddess in the Finnish pantheon) ( -tAr, -t- <-- -tt-)
.................................lumooja (n,a,-ia) - an enchanter (Long words -jA)..........lumoojatar (-taren,ta,-taria) - an enchantress (-tAr, -t- <-- -tt-)
.................................manaaja (n,a,-ia) - an exorcist (Long word -jA)
.................................(huono (n,a,ja) - bad (=not skilled) (2-syllable word -O)..........Gilderoy Lockhart on huono velho ja Dumbledore on hyvä velho.
.................................paha - bad (=evil)..........Voldemort on paha velho ja Harry Potter on hyvä velho...........hyvä - nice <-- good --> skilled
.................................että cannot be dropped (like the english "that" can).......Olen iloinen, että Väinö ei ole paha velho.

Aino on hyvä nainen: Kaino (n,a,ja) (a male or a female given name)..........Hän on sisukas nainen...........(sisu (n,a,ja) - guts) (2-syllable word -U)
................................. (sisukas (-kaan,ta,-kaita) - gutsy) (-As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs)

Finland is a really beautiful country: Minä olen samaa mieltä.......olla samaa mieltä - to agree..........Sain tän väärin, vaikka oon suomalainen.
........................................................saada väärin - to get wrong..........(saada (-n,sai,-nut) - to receive, to get) (II groupe verb -dA)......... (vaikka - although)
........................................................Suomi on todella kaunis maa...........Suomi on niin kaunis maa.

Suomi on kaunis maa: neito (-don,a,ja) - a maiden (2-syllable word -O, -t- --> -d-).................Näinhän se ois. - So it is.

Hacu.: Nice would rather be "mukava", "kiva" or kind of miellyttävä/viihtyisä (pleasant/cozy). Beautiful here refers to a visual characteristic, like beauty of the nature etc. and nice doesn't really work in that context. "Kaunis" = beautiful, fair

...................................miellyttävä (n,ä,-iä) - pleasant (Long word -vA)..........viihtyisä (n,ä,-iä) - cozy (-sA words only take -jA in m.part.)

Suomi Suomi Suomi: Hyvä Suomi! Suomi on kaunis maa! Oi maamme Suomi! Perkele! Torilla tavataan!....................oi! - oh (poet. or surprise)
................................(One of the uses of Adessiivi as external locative case is for sth located on open places.
................................Present passive form for IV groupe verb is formed adding -An to infinitiivi (tavata --> tavataan). In puhekieli it's used instead of -mme.)

Suomi on todella kaunis maa: maa - land, country, earth, soil, Earth (planet), suit (in deck of cards)..........(aurinko (-gon,a,ja) - a sun) (Long words -nkO)
..............................................totuus (-den,-tta,-ksia) - a truth (noun -Us from an adjective)

Suomi on aina kaunis: Finland is always beautiful. For Finnish is always beautiful it should be: Suomi on aina kaunista., because suomi is uncountable.
..................................Other option would be Suomen kieli on aina kaunista., meaning The Finnish language is always beautiful.

This is Anna: Tässä on Anna...........tässä on + ihminen - this is (sb).....................tämä on + esine - this is (sth)

Tämä on Väinö: Tää onko fantasiaa, vai alku ihastuksen................ fantasia (n,a,-oita) - a fantasy ( -iA)
........................alku (-n,a,ja) (GEN.+~) - (the) beginning (of) (2-syllable word -U, -k- --> --)................ihastus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - a crush = infatuation (Noun -Us from a verb)

This is Elsa: toimia (-n,-,-nut) +-nA - to act / function (as) (I groupe verb -iA)..........opas (-paan,ta,-paita) - a guide ( -As, -p- <-- -pp-)

Hacu.:...used when introducing/presenting someone to others. Example: "Tämä on Elsa ja hän toimii oppaananne tänään." (This is Elsa and she will be your guide today. (lit. "acts/functions as your guide today"))

(-nA is the ending of Essiivi appended to the strong base of a word. One use is when expressing one's function (as).
In addition, possession suffixes can be attached, so we can have: opas --> oppaana --> oppaananne.)

Finland is a good country: Olen suomalainen. Olen 11 vuotta vanha. Suomi on maailman paras maa. Puhun suomea...........(yksitoista (-hden-,-htä-,ä-) - 11)
(After numbers (but 1) is always used y.partitiivi.)

This is Otso: * Tässä on Otso when being introduced to other people
................... * Tämä on Otso - if already spoken about with this people.......or.......pointing him out in a picture

Väinö is a good wizard: Väinöllä on hyvä velho. means "Väinö has a good wizard.". When the possessed is one whole thing, it's in Nominatiivi.
....................................Väinöllä on 3 hyvää velhoa. The possessed after a number takes Partitiivi...........(kolme (n,a,-ia) - 3) (Exceptional -e word.)
....................................Väinöllä on hyvää velhoa. doesn't work, because there's not uncountable noun (food or a mass noun).

Finland! Finland! Finland!: esitysaika - a show time...............esitys (-ksen,tä,-ksiä) - a show (Nouns -Us from a verb)

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Describe things Part 2

Velho ja kantele: siitä - from there (An exceptional elatiivi form of se.).....koivu (n,a,ja) - a birch (2-syllable word -U).....soitto (-ton,a,ja) - a call (2-syllable word -O, -tt- --> -t-)

Jean-LoupR: Siitä Vanha Väinämöinen......koivun soitoksi kuvasi......Veisteli kesäisen päivän......Kalkutteli kanteletta...

...........................kuvata (-an,-si,-nnut) - to describe (IV groupe verb -AtA)........veistel (-en,-i,-lyt) - to sculpt (III groupe verb -llA, freq.-ellA)
...........................kesäinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - summer(ly)..........kalkutella (--telen,--teli,-lut) - to clatter (producing a sound) (III groupe verb -llA, freq.-ellA)
.......................... (kantele (en,tta,ita) - a kantele (a Finnish string musical instrument)) (Old word -e)

Hyvä sauna on aina suomalainen: - Anteeksi, mutta hyvä sauna on aina virolainen. - Anteeksi, mutta hyvä sauna on suomalainen. Sauna on keksitty Suomessa.
....................................................keksitty (-tyn,ä,jä) - invented ( -ttU part. I groupe -iA) (I groupe verbs ending in -iA change -A for -ttU for Past Part.)
....................................................keksiä (-n,-,-nyt) - to invent (I groupe verb -iA)

Olen herra Pöllönen: ääkkönen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - a (front vowel) letter...............sään (-nön,ä,jä) - a rule (2-syllable word -O, -nt- --> -nn-)
.................................lökäpöksy (n,ä,jä) - baggy pants...............pöksyt (-jä) - pants...............Änäkkälä (n,ä) (a village in Finland)
.................................joella <-- (joki (--en,-kea,a) - a river) (2-syllable old word -i, -k- --> --)......... (herra (n,a,-oja) - a mister, a sir) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -e)

Hearing Pöllönen: poloinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - poor = wretch..........pullonen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - a small bottle......... (pullo (n,a,ja) - a bottle) (2.-syllable word -O)
............................(-nen when added to a substantive, forms a coloquial diminutive.)

Kantele on soitin: majoneesi (n,a,-eja) - mayonnaise (Polysyllable word -i)......... (soitin (-timen,ta,-timia) - a musical instrument) (-t- <-- -tt-)
(Words ending in -in change -n for -men in y.gen. and for -miA in m.part. and add -tA in y.part. They also undergo a reverse consonnant gradation.)

HIlla on suomalainen nainen: - Hilla on myös suomalainen marja. - Ja Marja on myös suomalainen nainen..... (marja (n,a,-oja) - a berry) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a)
..............................................Tämä lamppu on suomalainen.......... (lamppu (-pun,a,ja) - a lamp) (2-syllable word -U, -pp- --> -p-)
..............................................Suomalainen ruoka on hyvää.......... (ruoka (--an,a,-ia) - food) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o- (-uo-), -k- --> --)
(When a subject is an uncountable or a mass noun, its complement is in y.partitiivi.)

Aino, this is Ms. Pöllönen: neiti (--din,ä,-ejä) - Miss (2-syllable new word -i, -t- --> -d-)

I am Ms. Pöllönen: hra X =herra X, rva X = rouva X, nti X = neiti X......... (rouva (n,a,-ia) - a Mrs.) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o- (-ou-) )

AttePattePapana:...pöllö...also...means "silly person" in a friendly spoken language sort of way.

Hearing herra: hera (n,a,-oja) - whey.... (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -e)....hela (n,a,-oja) - a mounting = a bushing.............hyrrä (n,ä,-iä) - a spinning top (2-syllable word)

Kantele on suomalainen soitin: (tasan kuusi - exactly six)......... (tasan - exactly)......... (kuusi (-den,-tta,a) - six) (2-syllable old word -i (-si) )
.................................................Kello on tasan kuusi........... (kello (n,a,ja) - an hour) (2-syllable word -O)

Aino, tämä on rouva Pöllönen: Halonen (-sen,-sta,-sia) (a surname)..........halko (-on,a,ja) - a billet (2-syllable word -O, -k- --> --)
...............................................Kekkonen (a surname)
...............................................Hämäläinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) (a surname)..........hämäläinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - Tavastian..........Häme (en,ttä) - Tavastia (Old word -e)
...............................................Virtanen (-sen,-sta,-sia) (a common surname)..........virta (--ran,t,-oja) - a stream (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i)
...............................................Saarinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) (a common surname)
...............................................Kukkonen (-sen,-sta,-sia) (a surname)..........kukko (-kon,a,ja) - a cock (2-syllable word -O, -kk- --> -k-)
...............................................rova (n,a,-ia) - a forested esker (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o)

Tämä on hyvä kantele: (kitara (n,a,-oita/-oja) - a guitar) (An exception for -ra word with possible -oita and -oja endings in m.part.)
................................... (viulu (n,a,ja) - a violin) (2-syllable word -U)..........sello (n,a,ja) - a cello ... (2-syllable word -O).....basso (n,a,ja) - a bass
....................................balalaikka (--kan,a,-oja) - a balalaika (An exception of a -kkA long word, taking only -oja in m.part.)
....................................mandoliini (n,a,-eja) - a mandolin (Long word -i)..........ukulele (n,a,ja) - an ukulele (New word -e)
....................................banjo (n,a,ja) - a banjo (2-syllable word -O)..........luuttu (-tun,a,ja) - a lute (2-syllable word -U, -tt- --> -t-)..........kirkonkello - a church bell

I am Finnish: jatkaa (-an,-oi,-anut) - to continue (I groupe 2-syllable verb -aa, first vowel -a)..........tammikuu - a January (Month names - compound words ending kuu.)

pieni_chilipalko: The subject and the predicate do not change places when forming a neutral questions in Finnish...So statements and questions with a question word have the same word order..."Kuka sinä olet?" "Sinä olet ihana ihminen." "Who are you?" "You are a wonderful person."
However, if you use the -kO question suffix to form a question (instead of using a question word like "mikä", "kuka", "missä"...) and attach the suffix to the verb, that of course changes the word order. "Oletko sinä opettaja?" "Are you a teacher?"..........Suomenkielinen

-kielinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) (GEN.+~) - -speaking, -phone..........suomenkielinen - Finnophone
Taru sormusten herrasta - The Lord of the Rings..........taru (n,a,ja) - a saga (2-syllable word -U)......... (sormus (-ksen,ta,-ksia) - a ring) (Word -Us from a verb)
(One way for -s words to form m.genetiivi is changing -A from y.part. -(t)tA for -en.)
(One of the functions to elatiivi is to express the content or the about.)

This is a Finnish sauna: Portugali (n,a) - Portugal..........portugalilainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Portuguese
.................................. (Japani (n,a) - Japan)..........japanilainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Japanese

Tämä on suomalainen soitin: Suuressa talossa on suomalainen koira ja suomalaista musiikkia........... (suuri (-en,-ta,a) - large) (2-syllable old word -i)
(When something has something, it is expressed with Inessiivi (instead with Adessiivi).)............... (talo (n,a,ja) - a house) (2-syllable word -O)
.............................................maja (n,a,-oja) - a hut (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a).................sarvi (-en,-ea,a) - a horn (2-syllable old word -i)
.............................................si (-den,-ttä,ä) - a hand ....... (2-syllable old word -i (-si) )........ (vesi (-den,-ttä,ä) - water)
.............................................neil (-en,-i,-lyt) - to swallow ....... (III groupe verb -llA)........nuolla (-en,-i,-lut) - to lick
............................................ (alla - under)

Olen suomalainen: En ole suomalainen, mutta rakastan suomea........... (rakastaa (-an,-i,-anut) + PART. - to love) (I groupe verb -AA)
............................. (amerikkalainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - American).......... (kanadalainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Canadian)..........kuulla (-en,-i,-lut) - to hear (III groupe verb -llA)
..............................brasilialainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Brasilian..........persialainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Persian......... (venäläinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - Russian)
............................. (ranskalainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - French)..........turkkilainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Turk, Turkish..........unkarilainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - Ungarian

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:18 am, edited 8 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Describe things Part 3

Olen poika: Olen poika, jota etsitte...........joka (-n-,-ta,-ita) - who.......... (etsiä (-n,-,-nyt) + PART. - to look for) (I groupe verb -iA)

Hearing poika: poka (n,a,-ia) - a frame (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o, NO -k- --> --)..........pokka (--kan,a,-ia) - a poker (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o, -kk- --.> -k-)
.......................piika (--an,a,-oja) - a maid (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i (-ii), -k- --> --)

Hearing rehellinen: rahallinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - monetary..........reellinen = rehellinen..........riihellinen <-- riihi (-en,-tä/-eä,ä) - a (drying) barn
(2-syllable old words ending in -hi can change -i either for -tA or for -eA in y.part.)

Ihminen: muistaa (-an,-i,-anut) - to remember (I groupe verb -AA)

Olet kaunis ihminen: Tapahtuu, mitä tapahtuu, muista, että oot kaunis ihminen...........tapahtua (--dun,-i,-nut) - to happen (I groupe verb -UA, -t- --> -d-)
.................................tapahtuu mitä tapahtuu - whatever happens

You are a beautiful person: henkilö: impersonal, when keeping a distance, in statistics, news,...
..........................................ihminen: focusing on human being, used in news only when a human touch needed

Olet hyvä ihminen: Only possible options are kiitos paljon or paljon kiitoksia.
..............................In everyday speach ihminen is prefered for person rather than henkilö: Hän on mukava ihminen. Ihmiset lauloivat ja nauroivat.
.............................. (laulaa (-an,-oi,-anut) - to sing) ... (I groupe 2-syllable verb -a, first vowel -a- (-au-) ).... (nauraa (-an,-oi,-anut) - to laugh)
..............................Oletko hyvä laulaja? - En, mutta olen hyvä kielissä...... (laulaja (n,a,-ia) - a singer) (Long word -jA)..... (olla hyvä + INE - to be good at)
..............................voida hyvin - to feel well......... (hyvin - well).................Mä oon Eren ja sä oot Luke. Ootko kunnossa?
............................. (olla kunnossa - to be allright)..........kunto (-non,a,ja) - a shape = condition (2-syllable word -O, -nt- --> -nn-)
..............................olla terveenä - to be healthy..........pysyä terveenä - to stay healthy..........pysyä (-n,-i,-nyt) + -nA - to stay, remain (I groupe verb -UA)
(If an adjective expresses a state of being, it's put in Essiivi.)

Liisa on rehellinen tyttö: Lilja (n,a,-oja) (a female given name, Lily)

Hän on sisukas mies: aviomies - a husband.................avio- - marital / married

SuLange6: Isn't the correct English translation "He is a plucky man"?

Olen sisukas suomalainen: lahja (n,a,-oja) - a gift (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a)................. (lahjakas (-kaan,ta,-kaita) -talented) ( -As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs))
..........................................äly (n,ä,jä) - a brain = an intellect (2-syllable word -U)............... (älykäs (-kään,tä,-käitä) - intelligent) (-As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs))
..........................................sisällä - inside.................sisäpuoli - the interior..........puoli (-en,-ta,a) - a half (2-syllable old word -i)
..........................................sisälmykset (-iä) - innards = viscera

Matti on sisukas suomalainen: (kukka (--kan,a,-ia) - a flower) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -u, -kk- --> -k-)..........kukikas (-kaan,ta,-kaita) - floral ( -As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs))
............................................... (ääni (-en,-tä,ä) - a noise) (2-syllable old word -i (-ni)) ( --> äänekäs)..........(voima --> voimakas)
............................................... (väri (n,ä,-ejä) - a colour) (2-syllable new word -i)..........värikäs (-kään,tä,-käitä) - colourful (-As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs))
................................................onni -en,-ea,a) - luck (2-syllable old word -i)..........onnekas (-kaan,ta,-kaita) - lucky (-As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs)
............................................... (mies --> ) miehekäs (-kään,tä,-käitä) - manly (-As, -k- <-- -kk- (Adj.-kAs)).......... (susi (-den,-tta,a) - a wolf) (2-syllable old word -i (-si))
................................................urhea (n,a,-ita) - brave (Adjective -eA)

You are a good person: (kysymys (-ksen,tä,-ksiä) - a question) (Word -Us from a verb)

You are a nice person: Hän on kyllä todella mukava ihminen. = Se on tosi mukava tyyppi...........tyyppi (--pin,ä,-ejä) - a dude (2-syllable new word -i, -pp- --> -p-)
.................................. Te (pojat) olette kivoja. / Te olette kiva, herra presidentti...........presidentti (--tin,ä,-ejä) - a president (Plurysyllable word -i, -tt- --> -t-)

You are an honest woman: teitittely (n,ä,jä/itä) - V-use / formal addressing (Plurysyllable word -lU)

Olet mukava ihminen: epämukava (n,a,-ia) - uncomfortable (Long word -vA)............... (ystävällinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - friendly = =kind = gentle)

Hän on sisukas nainen: kiitos selityksesta...........selitys (-ksen,tä,-ksiä) - an explanation (Word -Us from a verb)

You are a nice boy: Tämä tuoli on mukava istua......Tässä tuolissa on mukava istua......Tämä tuoli on mukavan tuntuinen......Tuntuu mukavalta olla tässä.
..............................olla + GEN. tuntuinen - to seem like..........-tuntuinen (GEN.+~) (-sen,-stä,-siä) - -feeling..........olla kivaa (-llA +~ - to have fun
..............................tuntua + -ltA (--nun,-i,-nut) - to feel / seem like (I groupe verb -UA).................................olla mukavaa (-llA +~) - to have a nice time
..............................Te olette hauskoja lapsia...........................Meillä oli mukavaa........Meillä oli kivaa.

TKurka: Who would "teititellä (--telen,--teli,-lyt)" a boy these days?... (to address formally)

Matti is a Finn with sisu: Tuletko meidän kanssa(mme)...........kanssa GEN.+~ - with (=together with)
.......................................Ja sit se kans sano, et = Ja sitten hän kanssa sanoi, että..........sitten - then

Liisa is an honest girl: rehti (--din,ä,-ejä) = rehellinen (2-syllable new word -i, -t- --> -d-)

tyttö ja poika: ranta (--nan,a,-oja) - a beach (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -a,-nt- --> -nn-)

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Describe things Part 4

Hyvä Aino:

pieni_chilipalko:...Another way you con use "hyvä (name/etc.)" is when you are writing a letter or a more formal e -mail, doing a speech or something such. in that case, "hyvä Aino" would be translated as "dear Aino".

Hearing ujo: (n,a,ja) - shy (2-syllable word -O)..........uija (n,a,-ia) - a swimmer (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -u- (-ui-) )..........juju (n,a,ja) - catch = hitch

Hearing tyttö: tuttu (-tun,a,ja) - familiar (2-syllable word -U, -tt- --> -t-)..........tuotto (-ton,a,ja) - a revenue (2-syllable word -O, -tt- --> -t-)
......................tutu (n,a,ja) - a tutu (garment) (2-syllalbe word -U, NO -t- --> -d-)

Hearing ystävä (n,ä,-iä) - a friend (Long word -vA)..........estävä <-- estää (-än,-i,-änyt) - to prevent / to hinder (I groupe verb -AA).....istuva <-- istua.....ostava <-- ostaa

Hilla on hiljainen lapsi: ihmislapsi - a human child <-- ihmis- (ihminen) + lapsi..........kultainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - golden.......... (likainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - dirty)
.....................................suklaakakku - a chocolate cake..... (suklaa (n,ta,-ita) - a chocolate) (Words ending in -AA add -tA in y.part. and change -A for -itA in m.part.)
.....................................mansikka pirtelö - a strawberry milkshake..........mansikka (--kan,a,--koita/-oja) - a strawberry (Long word -kkA, -kk- --> -k-)
.................................... (pirtelö (n,ä,itä/jä) - a milkshake) (Long word -lO).......... (hiljainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - quiet)

Olet hyvä ystävä: arvo (n,a,ja) - a value (2-syllable word -O)..........lisä (n,ä,-iä) - an addition (2-syllable word)..........vero (n,a,ja) - a tax (2-syllable word -O)

WG6D7:...ALV (:n,:ta,:ita) (VAT) (Word -VV), CV (:n,:ta,:ita) (a resume) (Word -VV), digi-TV (digital television), HIV (:in,:iä,:ejä) (HIV) (Foreign word -C), kaapeli-TV (a cable TV), kaksois-V (w) (Word -VV), lev (in,iä,ejä) (lev) (Foreign word -C), stroganov (in,ia,eja) (stroganoff) (Foreign word -C), tosi-TV (reality TV), tupla-V (=kaksois-V), tv, UV (:n,:tä,:itä) (UV) (Word -VV)...yksöis-V (:n,:tä,:itä) (v) (Word -VV)

............................kaapeli (n,a,-eita/-eja) - a cable (3-syllable word -VCi)..........kaksois- - double..........yksöis- - single..........<-- kaksi/yksi + -Oinen

He is shy and handsome: Hän (se) and he (ne) are undroppable when referred to a specific one, because without them the sentence becomes abstract:
.......................................Hän on hyvä.................Jos Hilla juoksee, niin minäkin juoksen.......... (juosta (--ksen,--ksi,-sut) - to run) (III groupe verb -stA, -- <-- -k-)
.......................................On hyvä, että tulit.......Jos juoksee, niin voi hengästyä....jos...,niin - if...,then.....hengästyä (-n,-i,-nyt) - to get out of breath (I groupe verb -UA)
...................................... (juoda (-n,joi,-nut) - to drink) (II groupe verb).......... (Minä) juon......En juo......Hän juo......Hän ei juo.

Go Joni: mennä --> mene! --> menkää! (II pl. imperative -kAA)...............Hyvä Suomi: En tiedä, mitä hyvä tarkoittaa.

Hyvä Hilla: Kiitos hyödyllisesta vastauksestasi...........hyödyllinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - helpful

Sinä olet aina hyvä ystävä: Koskenkorva (n,a,-ia) (a vodka brand)

Hilla is a quiet child: vohla (n,a,-ia) - a kid (of a goat) (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o) = kili (n,ä,-ejä) - a goatling, a kidling (2-syllable new word -i)

You are a really good friend: kaveri (n,a,-eita/-eja) - a dude, fellow (3-syllable word -VCi)..........kelpo (-von,a,ja) - good = decent (2-syllable word -O, -p- --> -v-)

Elenatherascal: Olen todella kelpo poika.

Sinä olet mukava mies ja hyvä ystävä: kaverikupla - a friendzone..........kupla (n,a,-ia) - a bubble (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -u)

I am a shy person:
..............................Henkilö turns people into units, so it's used in warning signs or government documents, talking about amount of people.

I am a quiet boy: (hiljaa - quietly)

Last edited by greg34bg on Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

This looks really useful!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

I am back after a while. I needed to lead with several things these months (and not really all of them came to an end). So I barely had time to keep on with the forum. There are some shots of hidden comments I could take, while the app still let us open the discussions section. And then suddendly THE WORST happened - no comments available from the official website anymore. Luckily I had found somewhere (and saved) all (or most) of the links of the Finnish discussions, so I can look for them either in hobune or in web.archive and still keep on posting here...with the time...Who knows if it comes to an end at some point. It will definitely take time (especially seeing I am the only one doing it...) But anyway, many thanks to @Corinnebelle for her (I guess :D ) nice motivating comment. It helps when s.b. appreciates what one is doing...Well, here comes the next one:

5.Discute your pets - Part 1

"Sininen pupu" (Unfortunately the link https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/4037 ... ninen-pupu is no longer available) :
......................pupu (n,a,ja) - a bunny (2-syllable word -U)..........kani (n,a,-eja) - a rabbit (New word -i)

Hearing pupu: pöpö (n,ä,jä) - a bug (=virus) (2-syllable word -O)...puppu (-pun,a,ja) - bullshits (2-syllable word -U, -pp- --> -p-)...papu (-vun,a,ja) - a bean (2-syllable word -U, -p- --> -v-)

söpö: pelaaja (n,a,-ia) - a player (Long words -jA)

söpö pupu: jänis (-ksen,tä,-ksiä) - a hare ( Most nouns ending by -is decline like -Os words.)

sininen: syaani (n,a,-eja) - cyan (2-syllable new words -i)..........valkosininen - white-blue......... (valkoinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - white)
.............As a standalone word sini is poetic and not used in modern language but in compound colours. (Like all colours dropping (-)nen.)
.............Lempivärinen on sininen...........lempi- - favourite..........sinivihreä - blue-green......... (vihreä (n,ä/tä,-itä) - green) (Adjectives -eA)
.............Taivaan sini on kaunis.......... (taivas (-an,ta,-ita) - a sky) (Most words -As)..........sini (-en,-eä,ä) - a blue (colour) (2-syllable old word -i)

(undulaatti (--n,a-eja) - a budgeriger) (Plurysyllable word -i)..........papukaija - parrot..........kaija (n,a,-oja) - racket-tail, parrot (2-syllable words -a, first vowel -a)
..................aratti (--tin,a,-eja) - a parakeet (Plurysyllable word -i)

Se on pupu: lemmikkikani - a rabbit (pet))......... (lemmikki (--kin,ä,-ejä) - a pet (3-syllable word-CCi, -kk- --> -k-)

Se on kaunis: - It is beautiful...........Tämä on kaunis. - This is beautiful.

Tämä pupu on söpö: - This bunny is cute...........Tämä on söpö pupu. - This is a cute bunny...........Kymmenen pistettä ja papukaijamerkki.
................................piste (en,ttä,itä) - a point (Old words -e)..........merkki (--kin,ä,-ejä) - a mark

Tämä undulaatti on sininen: (-llA on ikävä +PART - to miss sb/sth)......... (ikävä (n,ä,-iä) - longing) (Long words -vA) = kaipuu (n,ta,-ita) (Words -VV)
...........................................Minulla on ikävä Mustia. Minulla on ikävä vounoja...........vuono (n,a,ja) - a fjord (2-syllable words -O)
...........................................kaivata (--paan,--pasi,-nnut) +PART - to pine, long for (IV groupe verb -UtA, -v- <-- -p-) = ikävöi (-n,-,nyt) +PART (II groupe verbs -idA)
...........................................Minulla on ikävä vuonoille...........-llA on ikävä +ALL - to long to be in (In m.allatiivi -lle replaces -A from m.part. (converting -j- to -i- when proceedes (vuonoja --> vuonoille.)
...........................................Kaikki budgerigarit ovat undulaatteja, mutta kaikki undulaatit eivät ole budgerigareja (se on vain yksi laji). Minulla on muukin undulaatti - se ei ole "budgie". laji (n,a,-eja) - a species; a kind ( (2-syllable new word -i).....muukin = myös toisenlainen.....toisenlainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - a different kind of
...........................................Ostin mukin. Mukin värin on ruskea...........muki (n,a,-eja) - a mug (2-syllable new word -i, NO -k- --> --)
.......................................... (ruskea (n,a/ta,-ita) - brown) (Adjectives -eA)
...........................................potkaista tyhjää - to kick the bell (to die)... (potkaista (-en,-i,-sut) - to kick) (III group verb -stA)....tyhjä (n,ä,-iä) - nothing (2-syllable words)
...........................................heittää veivinsä - to die......heittää (--tän,-i,-änyt) - to throw (I groupe verb -AA, -tt- --> -t-)......veivi (n,ä,-ejä) - a crank (2-sallable new word -i)
...........................................oikaista koipensa - to die.....oikaista (-se,-i,-sut) - to straighten (III groupe verb -stA).....koipi (--ven,-ea,a) - a leg (of a bird) (2-syllable old word -i, -p- --> -v-)
...........................................siirtyä autuaammille metsästysmaille - to bye the farm. die.....siirtyä (--ryn,-i,-nyt) - to move (to a place) (I groupe verb -UA, -rt- --> -rr-)
...........................................autuas (-an,ta,-ita) - blessed (Most words -As)..........metsästys (-ksen,tä,-ksiä) - hunting ( words -Us from a verb)
...........................................päästää kylmä pieru..........päästää (-än,-i,-änyt) - to give off (I groupe verb -AA).......... (kylmä (n,ä,-iä) - cold (2-syllable word)
...........................................pieru (n,a,ja) - a fart (2-syllable word -U)..........ei se mitään kaipaa - it is not anymore..........entinen (-sen,-stä,-siä) - former, previous
...........................................Ei se mitään kaipaa. Se on nukkunut pois! Tätä papukaijaa ei enää ole! Se on olematon! Se on kupsahtanut ja siirtynyt ajasta ikuisuuteen! Se on raato! Ei mitään elonmerkkiä, se on vaipunut ikiuneen! Jos ette olisi naulannut sitä orrelle, se lannoittaisi ruusuja. Sen aineenvaihduntajärjestelmät ovat nyt mennyttä kauraa! Se on heittänyt veivinsä! Se on potkaissut tyhjää, se on vaihtanut hiippakuntaa, oikaissut koipensa ja liittynyt tuontaivaalliseen kuoroon! Tämä on entinen papukaija!
...........................................nukkua pois - to pass away...........nukkua (--nut,-i,-nut) - to sleep (I groupe verb -UA, -kk- --> -k-)......... (pois - away)
...........................................olematon (-toman,ta,-tomia) -nonexistent (Word -On,-t- <-- -tt-)( -mAtOn forms negative adjectives from verbs.)
...........................................kupsahtaa (--dan,-i,-anut) - to fall, tumble (I groupe verb -AA, -ht- --> -hd-) .....(-Us nouns from an adjective change -s for -teen in y.illatiivi.)
...........................................siirtyä ajasta ikuisuuteen - to pass away......ikuisuus (-den,-tta,-ksia) - eternity (Noun -Us from an adjective)...... (ajasta <-- Elatiivi aika)
...........................................raato (-don,a,ja) - a corpse,carcass (2-syllable word -O, -t- --> -d-)...........elonmerkki - a sign of life..........elo (n,a,ja) - a life (2-syllable word -O)
...........................................vaipua ikiuneen..........vaipua (--vun,-i,-nut) - to sink (slowly); to fall (in a sleep...) (I groupe verb -UA, -p- --> -v-)..........iki- - eternal
...........................................uni (-en,-ta,a) - sleep (2-syllable old word -i (-ri) )..........naulata (-an,-si,-nnut) - to nail (IV groupe verb -AtA)
...........................................orsi (-ren,-tta,a) - a beam, a perch (2-syllable old word -i (-si; -Csi))..........lannoittaa (--tan,-i,-anut) - to fertilize (I groupe verb -AA)
...........................................aineenvaihduntajärjestelmä - metabolic system........aineenvaihdunta - metabolism.......järjestelmä (n,ä,-iä) - system (Long word -lmA)
...........................................aine (en,tta,ita) - a material (Old word -e)..........vaihdunta (--nan,-a,-oja - a turnover (Long words -ntA)
...........................................olla mennyttä kauraa - to go to hell......kaura (n,a,-oja) - oats...... (mennyttä <-- mennyt PART <-- mennä)
...........................................vaihtaa hiippakuntaa..........vaihtaa (--dan,-oi,-anut) - to change (I groupe verb -AA, first vocal -a (ai) )..........hiippakunta - diocese
...........................................hiippa (--n,a,-oja) - a mitre (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -i- (-ii-))..........kunta (-nan,a,-ia) - area (admin.), field (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -u)
...........................................liittyä tuontaivalliseen kuoroon..........liittyä (--tyn,-i,-nyt) +ILL - to join = to be(come) part of (I groupe verb -UA, -tt- --> -t-)
...........................................tuontaivaallinen..........taivaallinen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - heavenly; celestial......... (kuoro (n,a,ja) - a choir) (2-syllable word -O)

Tämä undulaatti on söpö - This budgerigar is sweet...........Tämä on söpö undulaatti. - This is a sweet budgerigar.

A blue bunny: (glögi (n,ä,-ejä) - glogg, mulled wine) (2-syllable new word -i)..........kaniini (n,a,-eja) - a rabbit (european) (3-syllable word -VVCi).................... (-kk- --> -k-)
......................rusakko (-kon,ja,-koita/ja) - a hare (brown eur.) (Long words ending in -kkO take either -itA (with a weak base) or -ja (with a strong base)

Tämä undulaatti on kaunis: Tämä undulaatti on ihana. (lovely)

This bunny is cute: Oi, niin soma lapsi!..........soma (n,a,-ia) - sweet=cute, pretty (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o)

blue: Sininen on taivas/ Siniset on silmänsä sen/ Siniset on järvet/ Sinisyyttä heijastaen...........silmä (n,ä,-iä) - an eye (2-syllable word)
....... (järvi (-en,-eä,ä) - a lake) (2-syllable old word -i)........sinnisyys (-den,-ttä,-ksiä) - blueness (Word -Us from adjective)........heijastaa (-an,-i,-anut) - to reflect (I groupe verb -AA)
........(Instructive form of II infinitive shows the way the acction expressed by another verb is done. It's formed changing infinitive's last -A for -en.)
........Hyvää eläintietoa...........eläintieto - animal knowledge

A cute bunny: Söpöt puput ovat erittäin tärkeitä..........Söpöjä pupuja on mukava silittää...........(Partitiivi for predicatives.)
..................... (tärkeä (n,ä/tä,-itä) - important) (Adjective -eA)..........silittää (--tän,-i,-änyt) - to fondle (I groupe verb -AA, -tt --> -t-)..........tietysti = tietenkin = tietty

Tämö pupu on sininen: Kelta- and valko- can be used as prefixes but NOT as nouns, while sini- and puna- can be nouns of colours (puna and sini).
...................................puna (n,a,-ia) - red (the colour) (2-syllable word -a, first letter -u)......... (keltainen (-sen,-sta,-sia) - yellow)

Se on undulaatti: kilpikonna - a turtle..........kilpi (--ven,-eä,ä) - a shield (2-syllable old word -i, -p- --> -v-)..........konna (n,a,-ia) - toad (2-syllable word -a, first vowel -o)

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

Return to “Finnish”