Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[QANDA] "Du" eller "ni" ( "du" versus "ni" )

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[QANDA] "Du" eller "ni" ( "du" versus "ni" )

Post by Basler Biker »

Here is the answer, and never ask again!

Say "du" when speaking to one person.
Say "ni" when speaking to a group of people.

BB - Basler Biker

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

segwyne
United States of America

Re: "Du" eller "ni" ( "du" versus "ni" )

Post by segwyne »

Likewise, in the objective:

dig = one person
er = more than one person

Native :us: Intermediate :sweden: :es:

ShinyZoroark

Re: [QANDA] "Du" eller "ni" ( "du" versus "ni" )

Post by ShinyZoroark »

Nice explanation!

Just a note: those who work in a shop say "ni" to their customers, even if it's one person. Saying "du" in that case might be considered rude.

//ShinyZoroark

Native: 🇸🇪🇷🇺 Fluent: 🇬🇧 Intermediate: 🇩🇪🇫🇷🇭🇺 Learning: 🇷🇸🇱🇹Image🇫🇮🇦🇱🇭🇷🇧🇬🇨🇿🇱🇻🇮🇸🇹🇷🇧🇦🇯🇵🇷🇴🇸🇮🇨🇳🇪🇪🇲🇪🇵🇱🇬🇷Image

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: [QANDA] "Du" eller "ni" ( "du" versus "ni" )

Post by Basler Biker »

ShinyZoroark wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:34 am

Nice explanation!

Just a note: those who work in a shop say "ni" to their customers, even if it's one person. Saying "du" in that case might be considered rude.

//ShinyZoroark

Well, I didn't want to "explain" Swedish habits ;-) because habits are habits - but it is strange to see how many different opinions there are on habits. On duolingo of course this question came up every odd day, and some people said "ni" is completely phased out, wereas others on the internet say that "ni" is again becoming a "trend" again recently., by customers talking to a waiter/waittress .. (?) ... And former duolingo user skalpadda would use "du" even when speaking to the King of Sweden. As a conclusion, not to offend anybody under any circumstance would be to use "du" for singular. And seemingly, even the Swedes, after the reform, don't really know anymore what is rude and what is not...

So now, me as a tourist soon in Stockholm, I may be able to test something out ;-)... if I get hit by someone whose feeling I did hurt, I'll report here ;-)

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “FAQ Vanliga frågor”