Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Old tree section 4 – tough sentences

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Old tree section 4 – tough sentences

Post by PtolemysXX »

The attached file contains a selection of tough sentences from all 16 skills of section 4 of the old tree. These skills correspond to units 34 - 41 of the new path

Attachments
DL EN-IT sentences section 4.xls
(128 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
dxtoeppe
Italy

Re: Old tree section 4 – tough sentences

Post by dxtoeppe »

Not a techie. Tried to download it and then open it. Unable to do so- It compared it to 11699 file types. I am on a laptop using Microsoft 10. Any suggestions?

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dxtoeppe wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:40 pm

Not a techie. Tried to download it and then open it. Unable to do so- It compared it to 11699 file types. I am on a laptop using Microsoft 10. Any suggestions?

First of all, the download finished correctly? In your downloads folder you should have an Excel file named, "DL EN-IT sentences section 4.xls," of 131,072 bytes.

Secondly, as it is an Excel file you need to have it installed. If you don't, you may want to download and install LibreOffice.

Finally, could it be that your antivirus software is marking it (a false-positive) and therefore is blocking it?

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

dxtoeppe
Italy

Post by dxtoeppe »

I installed LibreOffice and then tried again. Looked at previous and latest downloads. I do not think it finished correctly? It does not have .xls after the file name. Any way to to get it to finish? Or is this my antivirus software kicking in and it will not do it no matter what? Guess I am learning another language besides Italian! Thanks.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dxtoeppe wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:10 pm

I installed LibreOffice and then tried again. Looked at previous and latest downloads. I do not think it finished correctly? It does not have .xls after the file name. Any way to to get it to finish? Or is this my antivirus software kicking in and it will not do it no matter what? Guess I am learning another language besides Italian! Thanks.

Ok. If you take a look at the Downloads folder and look for the file, you should see something like the first entry in the following image. Don't worry if the entry does not include the extension (".xls"), that only means that your Windows Explorer is configured not to display the extension (that is actually the default behavior).

Also, in your case, since you didn't have Excel installed, the icon at the left of the filename should have been a generic one (not the one of Excel), and the description under the Type column would have simply said, "File XLS." Now that you have OfficeLibre installed, you should see both a more specific description and icon.

excel_file_1.png
excel_file_1.png (8.24 KiB) Viewed 680 times

Now, to check for the exact size of the file, right-click over the file entry, that should open a small menu box (as shown at the left part of the image), and then select the last menu option: Properties, that should open a small dialog box with all the properties of the file (as shown at the right part of the image). Look for the Size entry, you should see that it says, 128 KB (131,072 bytes). If so, then we can assume it downloaded correctly.

excel_file_2.png
excel_file_2.png (49.6 KiB) Viewed 680 times

If you are still unsure about the file, you may want to delete it and download the following zip file. It contains the same Excel file but in a newer version (the extension is: .xlsx). Once you have downloaded the zip file (it is a 55,755 bytes file), right-click it, and once the menu box opens, select the option Extract all.... The extracted file is named "DL EN-IT sentences section 4.xlsx" and has a length of 60,786 bytes.

Attachments
DL-EN-IT-sentences-section-4.zip
(54.45 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

dxtoeppe
Italy

Post by dxtoeppe »

So much fun when I don't speak Spanish(?) or computer. It is 128KB. Type of file says XLS. Looks like yours says open with: Excel. That is not an option for me. If I try the Microsoft store for other apps, then look for Excel (for home and student or personal version) cost is $70. Sorry, don't want to learn Italian that badly. Do not know enough to show you my screenshot but I do not think it is worth pursuing. Thanks.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dxtoeppe wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:30 pm

So much fun when I don't speak Spanish(?) or computer. It is 128KB. Type of file says XLS. Looks like yours says open with: Excel. That is not an option for me. If I try the Microsoft store for other apps, then look for Excel (for home and student or personal version) cost is $70. Sorry, don't want to learn Italian that badly. Do not know enough to show you my screenshot but I do not think it is worth pursuing. Thanks.

You are welcome.

The images were just as a reference. If you installed OfficeLibre, double-clicking the file should have opened it.

Anyway, this file doesn't have anything to do with learning Italian, it's simply a collection of some sentences from the Duolingo course: there's nothing special about them. If you are doing the Italian course, you will find them sooner or later ;)

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

I have ported the spreadsheet to Googledocs. This way you should not need any additional software to view it.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

PtolemysXX wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:20 pm

I have ported the spreadsheet to Googledocs. This way you should not need any additional software to view it.

I had thought of that, but you beat me to it :D

By the way, it would be interesting to know (perhaps by adding a comment to each sentence) what it is that makes each one a difficult sentence. What do you think?

Maybe even better, what about adding your comments or observations to the corresponding Duome sentence discussion thread. Let the chaos and general discomfort that I recently caused at least serve its purpose :D ;) I think that you should be able to easily locate many of the sentences: chi di voi…, perché non venite… etc.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

gmads wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:12 am

By the way, it would be interesting to know (perhaps by adding a comment to each sentence) what it is that makes each one a difficult sentence. What do you think?

I like the idea. See below.

Maybe even better, what about adding your comments or observations to the corresponding Duome sentence discussion thread. Let the chaos and general discomfort that I recently caused at least serve its purpose :D ;) I think that you should be able to easily locate many of the sentences: chi di voi…, perché non venite… etc.

I also prefer to attach comments to the appropriate topics in the sentence discussion folder. This gives the community an opportunity to contribute and would be a direct continuation of Duolingo's own sentence discussions. Thanks to you there is already a decent database to begin with.

A Google spreadsheet like the one above might be used as an index to for an easier search in both directions.

One thing bothers me at the moment is that sentence topics from duome do not show up in google searches (not in my searches at least) yet I think they already contain a wealth of information useful not only to duolingo users. Perhaps the Google bot has not made it there yet or duome blocks it.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

PtolemysXX wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:11 pm

Maybe even better, what about adding your comments or observations to the corresponding Duome sentence discussion thread.

I also prefer to attach comments to the appropriate topics in the sentence discussion folder. This gives the community an opportunity to contribute and would be a direct continuation of Duolingo's own sentence discussions.

Exactly! Great! 🥳

A Google spreadsheet like the one above might be used as an index to for an easier search in both directions.

Yes, that could be an option. In my case I chose to create an index page, just as I later did for the stories. As the SD (sentence discussions) are all scattered around, each one having its own thread, my posts include a link back to the index page.

That list points not only to difficult sentences that have an explanatory comment, but also to normal sentences that have additional useful information.

One thing bothers me at the moment is that sentence topics from duome do not show up in google searches (not in my searches at least) yet I think they already contain a wealth of information useful not only to duolingo users. Perhaps the Google bot has not made it there yet or duome blocks it.

From what I was able to observe, that only happens when the sentence discussion thread is missing from Duolingo.

I don't know about the internals of the sentence discussion script, but in a large number of cases it didn't include the link to the Duo SD, forcing me to manually search for it and include it in a new post. Fortunately, @Dana_Dany Danuta helped me a lot doing this 😊

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

gmads wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:39 pm

Yes, that could be an option. In my case I chose to create an index page, just as I later did for the stories. As the SD (sentence discussions) are all scattered around, each one having its own thread, my posts include a link back to the index page.

That list points not only to difficult sentences that have an explanatory comment, but also to normal sentences that have additional useful information.

I prefer that too, it makes the forum independent of Google Docs. The reason I chose the latter was that I just saw it being used in some other thread here, I got super excited (I have not used Google docs before) and for that particular job of porting an excel spreadsheet it was very efficient.

From what I was able to observe, that only happens when the sentence discussion thread is missing from Duolingo.

I don't know about the internals of the sentence discussion script, but in a large number of cases it didn't include the link to the Duo SD, forcing me to manually search for it and include it in a new post. Fortunately, @Dana_Dany Danuta helped me a lot doing this 😊

What I was trying to say here was that if I open Google search and look for a particular sentence I get a link to duolingo.com, perhaps some other links like Reddit & co. but not to duome.eu where the same sentence may have been discussed in detail...

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

PtolemysXX wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:57 pm

One thing bothers me at the moment is that sentence topics from duome do not show up in google searches […]

What I was trying to say here was that if I open Google search and look for a particular sentence I get a link to duolingo.com, perhaps some other links like Reddit & co. but not to duome.eu where the same sentence may have been discussed in detail...

You are right! I missed that you were clearly talking about Duome! 🤭

Return to “Italian”