Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Did Duo just kill off the direct links to the old tree?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Corinnebelle

Re: Did Duo just kill off the direct links to the old tree?

Post by Corinnebelle »

duome wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:32 am

Your extended profiles are unavailable for some reason. I can still read johnarnold's so the data should still be there. Can you play with privacy settings to see if they affect duome?

That's the problem! Thanks!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Does this mean every time I close the Duome profile screen I'll have to redo my privacy settings, if I keep my profile private, except for flashing Duome?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

For the time being, yes..

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I am wondering how the "new" tree works that is linked to the snake. The snake goes through skills three times. Does the tree also do that? Some of the skills have two dots and some have three.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:48 pm

I am wondering how the "new" tree works that is linked to the snake. The snake goes through skills three times. Does the tree also do that? Some of the skills have two dots and some have three.

What happens when a skill is repeated more than three times?

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

For most courses, the first levels in each unit are still not visible on the tree. So some skills only have two, one, or even no dots. For all occurrences to be visible, Admin or his friend have to complete the last checkpoint in each course. It will take a while. I think he will continue when it is certain whether Duolingo and therefore aslo Duome has a future.

The icon on the tree is now the hardest (known) lesson. The dots below are easier. Thank you, @duome, for the change.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

I have a problem that touches the subject of this thread so I am posting it here - perhaps someone can help me.
I am missing one last crown to make my Czech tree legendary. I am using an old android app. When I click on the circle, the app comes back with an error message:

android app en-cz.png
android app en-cz.png (104.02 KiB) Viewed 1813 times

I have a theory why it is so. All tasks in legendary tests consist of translating from the instruction language to the target language. However this particular skill is a very special one as it teaches vernacular language where only passive knowledge is required. Hence all tasks in all levels consist of translating from Czech, not into Czech. I am guessing that when I try to do a legendary test, duolingo tries desparately to find a sentence to translate into Czech, does not find any and errors out.

I tried to outsmart it by going to the path and bringing units 42 and 43 to the legendary level (these units contain the said skill). It dit not help.

I also tried to access the legendary tests through duome/progress, yet when I click on the skill icon it brings me to unit 43 lesson 8, which is indeed the hard version of the skill, but what opens up is not a legendary test but a regular practice. So it does not help either. Perhaps I would need to bring all path units to legendary to get that last crown...

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

PtolemysXX wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:33 pm

Perhaps I would need to bring all path units to legendary to get that last crown...

You can try it, but I think nothing will help. The problem is that about three months ago, they changed the setting. Now the Legendary lessons have almost all tasks in the translation direction from L1 to L2. So it is impossible to compile a legendary lesson for this skill.

They won't deal with it because these old versions of the apps are no longer supported.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:31 pm

They won't deal with it because these old versions of the apps are no longer supported.

No idea what you mean.
Android V5.52.5 still works on my Portuguese volunteer course on the old tree.

Need to watch out for collected crowns.

Still working on several grammar - and verb tense L2/L3 crown levels.
Have got some in L4 already, so I can try in summer to upgrade some of them to L5.

Hope it stays like this that the app can connect, does the login and shows tree data and syncs its data with the server without logging me out.

I can't answer the question if all data (crowns, completed skills, lessons, XPs) is tracked and visualized correctly, not in greater detail.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:20 pm

No idea what you mean.

If something breaks in the old apps Duolingo will not bend a finger to fix it. That was their major statement after having released the path. At least they don't deliberately break anything, I can appreciate that.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

PtolemysXX wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:10 am

At least they don't deliberately break anything

I wish that was the case :roll:

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:20 pm

No idea what you mean.
Android V5.52.5 still works on my Portuguese volunteer course on the old tree.

Yes, that's it. The old versions work but are no longer supported. I also want to believe that it will last that way. But I'm not very good at it, seeing what Duolingo has done in the last few months. And all this with a complete disregard for user feedback. I'm afraid this behavior can only change with a change of management / owner.

MsFrancy
Netherlands

Post by MsFrancy »

I opened my tree on an old version of the app. And wonderfully, Duolingo turned all of the progress I've done in the meantime I to purple. Yet, Duome does not. Why?

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

DaliborNovy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:03 pm

Unfortunately, I have very bad news. At least about CS <-> EN courses, I don't know about the others. I had the DuoBooster autonomously do both whole Snakes twice. Once with making mistakes and once without. Then he was doing separate lessons (/lesson/unit/XX/level/Y) for several days. Also alternately with and without mistakes. I have found that all the lessons he did were kind of messed up. During all the time, he only found a little more than half the sentences which the old skill Tree contained. When practicing a level repeatedly, the content of the lesson changes minimally. Maybe the snake's new "AI" is to blame.

So it means if they don't fix it, Duolingo is unusable for us. Because doing the old Tree skills (like /skill/cs/Reported/practice) is not possible now. They were very varied and changeable in comparison.

Good news! Last week, they fixed it. Now we can get all the original content even with the separate lessons (/lesson/unit/XX/level/Y). DuoBooster has just confirmed it for both CS <-> EN courses and I believe it applies to all the courses. So we can use the Tree (https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress) to practice a specific skill, no longer need to use Legendary / Challenge unit lessons only.

The biggest advantage over Challenge lessons is that the "hard" occurrences of skills (Big icons on the Tree) don't contain the annoying clicking vocabulary tasks at all. And also, XP from these lessons count towards the league, so we can stay "public" and always see our tree.

So all that's left is to force Duolingo, so that we can use the keyboard in both translation directions. This way, we will be able to make full use even of reverse courses again.

@duome I have a big favor to ask you. Could you please take care of these CS <-> EN courses and do the final checkpoints so we don't have to use the Snake for the missing skills anymore?

https://www.duolingo.com/enroll/en/cs
https://www.duolingo.com/enroll/cs/en

So that you don't have to use a translator with uncertain results, here is a csv file with all the sentences of these two courses: https://uloz.to/file/SMM6jdN7Ev5k/en-cs-zip

Thank you very much!

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@duome Thank you very much for the first course (cs from en). Practicing is now really very pleasant and comfortable. I only have one more suggestion, I'm sure many students will welcome it. But it's definitely not in a hurry, the completion of the second tree (en from cs) is more important for us.

Could the skill icon on the tree stay marked (highlighted) after being clicked? For example:

Yellow the past skills, blue the last one. But if only the last one stayed marked, it would be perfect. After a page refresh, it may disappear.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the Skill Tree, great job!

duome

Post by duome »

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:44 pm

Could the skill icon on the tree stay marked (highlighted) after being clicked?

Last clicked skill should now stay highlighted until page refresh.
I can probably keep the previously clicked skills highlighted as well - if necessary. - I did this as well - you may choose the desired behavior so I would keep it.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@duome Wow! It's unbelievable! Only as a morning job in a few minutes. And it also stays when you click on another skill (brighter). That's perfect. Exactly the way I wanted it! :-) Thank you very much!

EDIT: Yes, please keep it. :-)

Have a nice day!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

My tree's disappeared. Are you making a new one? @duome

@DaliborNovy How do access individual lessons for practice and review?

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@Corinnebelle Duolingo had some problems at night. Now I can see your tree, it seems finished (complete). https://duome.eu/Corinnebelle/progress/

Did you mean "Personalized practice" ? It never worked well. If you have the tree complete (ready-made), you have access to the entire original course now. So you don't need Personalized practice. If you want, you can use the end of the snake.

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:25 am

Same problem here. And my profile seems to be cached from 2 days ago, and not updating when I click refresh

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

The same for me now. Duome doesn't seem to get any data from Duolingo.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@duome Maybe it's time to set the links in the skill list to the snake as well (like the big icons on the tree). It would be very helpful when the Tree is down.

duome

Post by duome »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:25 am

Something weird on Duolingo side, I'm getting empty responses most of the time, then for once it goes back to normal, but only once. I have a workaround for this but I would like to know the reasons first, so I'm trying to get in touch with them to hopefully get the answers...

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

They have been in problems in Duolingo since last night. I think it really could be an attack.

https://status.duolingo.com/

duome

Post by duome »

What bothers me is that when I performed simultaneous tests, duome wasn't getting any data while a test script running on anther ip address was working just fine - they clearly do some bandwidth limitation or something like that to block those "attacks" , and in the end this same logic blocks duome as well - this is why I'm trying to get in touch with them. Duome shouldn't fall into the same category along with some other things that do need to be blocked.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

You're right, I watch similar things when Duo has problems. Using different connections (and sometimes even using different machines with the same public IP), I'm getting different behavior - from not working at all via working very slowly to fully working. But, I think they do desperate things when they are in trouble. I don't think it's for spite.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

dxtoeppe wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:53 am

My tree quit working yesterday and has not returned today. It shows the tree but I cannot get any lesson. old or new. Anyone find a fix or have a suggestion? Thanks.

Do you mean this in the other thread viewtopic.php?p=60379 ?

Sorry, we can't see anything.
Your Duolingo profile is set to PRIVATE (Settings / Privacy).

Note: The Duome tree tab doesn't work for NEW lessons if your path has not progressed over the unit point you want to practice mapped skilla for or the whole course is finished.

There was a thread and recent post by someone who had to test out the whole Italian path only to be able to click on the three skill lessons and using the Duome tree tab.
Can't find it right now.
It wasn't you?

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@dxtoeppe

What's the concrete issue again with your Italian course?

You're not using an old Android app with the tree but the path/snake on the Web portal?

Oh, by the way, I heard that several courses got updates.
If this is the case for you some units might have gone added BEFORE the last point you were working on.

You would have to recomplete some path levels (round circles) or redo L0 crown skills (purple, freshly unlocked) on the Android app to be able to continue.

As staff touches existing courses and moves or rearranges content be aware of this issue others had been warning about before:

"Warning about inconsistencies tree, old app, lost progress when the course and path changes too much": viewtopic.php?t=14974

Sounds like your Italian course (old tree) is partly broken broken now?!??

But let us have a look when we can :-)

Check the www.duome.eu/USERNAME/progress page and scan for +xx lessons text in red at the top or mod sections for old skills.

Your Web path should also indicate which units and path levels you have to finish or redo.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@dxtoeppe

Your profile is still set to PRIVATE:

https://www.duome.eu/dxtoeppe

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

gmads wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:03 am
gmads wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:13 pm

I might end up creating a simple web page for the eng→ita course.

This new file is version 1.1.

gmads wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:28 pm

[…] I noticed (at the eng→ita course) that topics are scattered throughout several units […]

Scattered lessons (topics) are now grouped under a new section.

duo-text-snake_230222.png

This new file is version 1.2.

dl-eng-ita-snake_230411.zip
(10.62 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍduolingo ㆍinteresting

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “Duolingo”