Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Did Duo just kill off the direct links to the old tree?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Re: Did Duo just kill off the direct links to the old tree?

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]duome[/mention] You have convinced us again that nothing is impossible. I just don't understand how you remapped it so quickly. You're right, it makes sense. A novice can complete the snake (or jump to the last checkpoint) and then can practice using duome. We will use it as soon as it is ready. Wish you good luck!

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

duome

Post by duome »

st1led wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:14 pm

The mapping of the Norwegian-English tree looks a bit off (1-2 units/lessons) on my end, especially towards the end. For example, some green dots under the tree link to levels that have been replaced by a chest on the path. How did you do the mapping, manually or through some logic/script?

It's a script. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Edit: I will need examples. The numbers and what's wrong. I'm not too far into my Norwegian course so I cannot compare what it is and what it should be with the skills further down in my own tree.

gmads wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:04 pm

At the Skills tab, all links are still old links:

Yes, I didn't go that far yet.

And the grey dots are not acting as links... not in my case at least.

I'll have a look, thank you... (they did work for me, but.. tomorrow we'll see:)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

duome wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:15 pm

The grey dots under skill icons take you to what used to be different crown levels of the same skill - these levels can now be scattered across several units as in the above example.

And the grey dots are not acting as links... not in my case at least.

Oh! I found them, yes, they are at the Tree tab, not at the Skills tab, where there are also grey dots. The former link to a practice session, the latter do not. Both sets are almost invisible.

[...] these levels can now be scattered across several units as in the above example.

Indeed. For the eng→ita course:

the first dot links to https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/1/level/1
the second dot links to https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/1/level/3
the thirds dot links to https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/1/level/5

As there is not a practice page for the third level (on the snake there is an empty box icon), the second dot then takes one to the main page.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

None of the dots in either place are linking to anywhere for me. Just saying. :)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

At the Tree tab on duome, this is the set of level numbers per unit for the eng→ita course:

Basics 1 (levels: 1 3 5)
Basics 2 (levels: 2 3 1)
Common Phrases (levels: 1 8 6)
Food (levels: 7 5 4)
Plurals (levels: 3 2 1)
Animals (levels: 1 9 8)
Food 2 (levels: 7 6 6)
Possessives (levels: 3 2 3)
Clothing (levels: 1 1 9)
Questions (levels: 7 7 4)
Verbs: Present 1 (levels: 6 2 1)
Colors (levels: 1 7 6)
Conjunctions (levels: 5 5 1)
Prepositions (levels: 2 9 7)
Dates and Time (levels: 7 5 2)
Family (levels: 2 1 7)
Measurements (levels: 9 6 4)
Occupations (levels: 5 2 9)
Household (levels: 1 7 6)
Adjectives 1 (levels: 5 2 1)
Verbs: Present 2 (levels: 1 9 5)
Adverbs (levels: 7 4 2)
Places (levels: 2 1 7)
Objects (levels: 7 6 4)
People (levels: 5 1 9)
Clitic Pronouns (levels: 9 7 5)
Numbers (levels: 5 2 1)
Determiners (levels: 1 9 5)
Verbs: Present 3 (levels: 7 4 2)
Verbs: Present Perfect (levels: 2 1 7)
Adjectives 2 (levels: 7 6 4)
Verbs: Infinitive 1 (levels: 4 1 9)
Pronouns (levels: 9 7 5)
Formal you (levels: 5 2 1)
Verbs: Imperative (levels: 1 8 7)
Education (levels: 7 6 6)
Travel (levels: 2 2 2)
Directions (levels: 1 1 1)
Verbs: Past Imperfect (levels: 7 7 7)
Feelings (levels: 6 6 6)
Abstract Objects 1 (levels: 2 2 2)
Sports (levels: 1 1 1)
Verbs: Past Perfect (levels: 7 7 7)
Adjectives 3 (levels: 6 6 7)
Adverbs 2 (levels: 2 5 7)
Abstract Objects 2 (levels: 1 5 7)
Verbs: Infinitive 2 (levels: 1 4 7)
Medical (levels: 1 5 7)
Verbs: Future (levels: 1 5 5)
Verbs: Gerund (levels: 1 2 1)
Arts (levels: 1 7 6)
Verbs: Future Perfect (levels: 6 3 1)
Abstract Objects 3 (levels: 2 9 6)
Verbs: Subjunctive Present (levels: 7 4 1)
Science (levels: 2 8 6)
Verbs: Conditional (levels: 7 3 1)
Verbs: Modal (levels: 2 9 6)
Verbs: Conditional Perfect (levels: 7 3 1)
Communication (levels: 2 8 6)
Nature (levels: 7 4 1)
Verbs: Subjunctive Perfect (levels: 2 9 6)
Business (levels: 7 3 1)
Verbs: Subjunctive Imperfect (levels: 2 8 6)
Verbs: Past (levels: 7 3 1)
Spiritual (levels: 2 9 4)
Politics (levels: 7 2 6)

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

The page https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress (https://duome.eu/dalibornovy/progress) is now out of order. Before it went down, I found that the mapping of the Czech course for English speakers also needed tweaking. Maybe the mapping script doesn't take the chests into account? I'm afraid it won't be possible without manual work and help of students.

7GLCS6S

Post by 7GLCS6S »

I did some testing, and my replacing HTML method that I detailed in an earlier post is still working to yield the old design and lessons on www-internal.duolingo.com. To my knowledge, this is the only method that is currently working to get old Duolingo back on browsers. Below are images and my tutorial from before.
viewtopic.php?p=41477#p41477

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]7GLCS6S[/mention] Could someone write an extension or script for this?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

7GLCS6S

Post by 7GLCS6S »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:12 am

@7GLCS6S Could someone write an extension or script for this?

An extension would probably be required, since a userscript to my knowledge does not have power to replace HTML content on a page. It just seems no one has taken the time to make one. It is great that we have this method, since with the new Duolingo design released in the past few days they stripped all the old code. The reason why it works though is because it is using an older version of the code, which still has the old Duolingo in it. This is how during internal testing I was able to get 2018 Duolingo loaded up on a web browser.

gjcdeluxe
Australia

Post by gjcdeluxe »

I did the mapping for everything from English, from French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish (please, test it out).

Impressive! I tried doing some Italian practice and it seemed to align correctly with the appropriate skills, though the XP earned must be a kind of "generic XP" as it didn't increase the XP levels of the corresponding skills as displayed in the bar graphs on duome's progress page - which is a pity because that was super helpful for knowing what I needed to practise next.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention] Is the kind of thing your doing like this I've added links to the different sections? Or is it more like [mention]gmads[/mention] thing?

I am thinking gmads thing with links would be handy!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

DaliborNovy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:10 pm

The page https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress (https://duome.eu/dalibornovy/progress) is now out of order. Before it went down, I found that the mapping of the Czech course for English speakers also needed tweaking. Maybe the mapping script doesn't take the chests into account? I'm afraid it won't be possible without manual work and help of students.

Duolingo added reCaptcha verification to its servers and it's going to be an immense issue for the entire duome if it remains like this.
Guess it's time to talk to Severin... :roll:

Your page has been fixed, but I had to stop auto-updates to be on the safe side - until I have more info.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]duome[/mention] Oh no! I'm worried we're being eavesdropped. It's probably the end for Duolingo. At least for me. It's the right time to move forward.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]duome[/mention] About the mapping of Czech from English. It's not as bad as it seemed at the first sight. It seems to be only shifted down of one level. E.g.:

Household ........... links to unit/13/level/1 , it should be unit/13/level/2
Shopping ............. links to unit/39/level/8 , it should be unit/39/level/9
What The?! ......... links to unit/42/level/7 , it should be unit/42/level/8

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]duome[/mention] I have hacked (automated) e.g. these: https://gsp.tpv-tech.com/Login.aspx and https://spms.tpv-tech.com/ (try to fill in anything and Login). But the real reCaptcha , it's really a huge problem.

duome

Post by duome »

JudieLC wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:09 pm

None of the dots in either place are linking to anywhere for me. Just saying. :)

Somehow you have a totally different Spanish from English course while I can only remap the versions available to me.

Anyone having the same issue with their courses - I will need your assistance to have it fixed - please, send me a PM :geek:

finnintrov

Post by finnintrov »

Duome is the only reason Im still sticking with duolingo :))) Seems like duolingo is trying to shake off last old users?

Deleted User 4833

duome wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:24 am

Somehow you have a totally different Spanish from English course while I can only remap the versions available to me.

Anyone having the same issue with their courses - I will need your assistance to have it fixed - please, send me a PM :geek:

I was able to use the dots again last night. Can’t use them for legendary anymore though.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]duome[/mention] Dear admin. I know there's time, no rush. If all the other problems were solved... I have an idea. Are any details of practice sessions type "www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/45/level/2" visible in the database? Is there a way to link these lessons back to skill names? Then the XP per Skill graph might work one day.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:54 am

@duome Is the kind of thing your doing like this I've added links to the different sections? Or is it more like @gmads thing?

I am thinking gmads thing with links would be handy!

Given the many course versions available for each language pair:

and now that the URLs have gone generic (unit/#/level/#) a first version of an automated page would actually simplify everything. From my point of view it would be a mere undifferentiated page listing as many levels as possible per unit. For example, if for any given course a unit does not have more than, let's say, 10 levels, well, the page generation script would blindly create ten level entries for each and every unit.

Of course, if the number of levels available for each unit can be determined, well, then the generated page would be accurate from the start.

If that information is not available, then as mentioned by DaliborNovy:

DaliborNovy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:10 pm

I'm afraid it won't be possible without manual work and help of students.

People would need to provide info about their finished courses so a database can be created.

I might end up creating a simple web page for the eng→ita course. While the first layout seems better space-wise, I think I'll go with the second one as the topic of each level can also be explicitly displayed (i.e. no need to hover a link to get the title info). The image does not show it, but each last level would actually be named "legendary" because that's where they link to.

duo-text-snake.png
duo-text-snake.png (48.22 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

Deleted User 4833

I'm not sure what you mean about having a totally different Spanish from English course. It's not standardized for every user?

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

JudieLC wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:57 pm

I'm not sure what you mean about having a totally different Spanish from English course. It's not standardized for every user?

When the snake was first advertised, I vaguely remember that Duolingo promised a tailored AI designed path. From the users' complains it seems to be a very poor quality AI, but it could explain the differences in each person's path layout.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

finnintrov wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:43 pm

Duome is the only reason Im still sticking with duolingo :))) Seems like duolingo is trying to shake off last old users?

Same.

I think it's been mentioned here before, but I'll mention it again. It would be fantastic if DuoMe could just become the old DuoLingo. We have some dedicated users here, we could make it work. One way or another.

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but refusing to pay for the snake makes it hard :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image. 🇳🇴 Legendary is finally completed again.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

SansEspoir wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:34 am

I think it's been mentioned here before, but I'll mention it again. It would be fantastic if DuoMe could just become the old DuoLingo. We have some dedicated users here, we could make it work. One way or another.

Creating a database, entering lots and lots of sentence pairs, categorizing them, developing the code and designing a good-looking interface.

Who says "me?"

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

gmads wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:13 pm

I might end up creating a simple web page for the eng→ita course.

And I did... :D

• It is a quick-and-dirty solution, but I think it will do the job

• I haven't tested it yet

• The "Treasure box" links need to be removed, as those levels do not exist

• Feel free to download, use, or adapt to your liking

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍduolingo

Attachments
dl-eng-ita-text-snake.zip
(5.63 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Last edited by gmads on Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

duome

Post by duome »

There were different versions of almost every tree out there, and when they were rolled out initially, they weren't applied to the entire userbase, some of us were stuck with the old trees, and some would get the new versions right away. They call it A/B testing.

Our Spanish from English coueses are different in every single skill id - they are totally different at least in terms of id's associated with them, even though some of the skills have identical names (and they're probably nearly identical inside). I don't know the reasons behind these decisions, but sometimes it makes it difficult to automatically track the changes, prevent duplicates (as it used to happen in our tips and notes database), etc., etc.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Stasia wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:59 pm

When the snake was first advertised, I vaguely remember that Duolingo promised a tailored AI designed path. From the users' complains it seems to be a very poor quality AI, but it could explain the differences in each person's path layout.

Are all schools accounts the same?

oskeith
Hong Kong

Post by oskeith »

duome wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:18 pm

Edit: I will need examples. The numbers and what's wrong.

Made an account to say thanks :) and share my experience. Japanese "Work 3" on here redirects me to lesson/unit/54/level/5 which seems to be Duolingo's "The train"

Duome tree -> Link redirected to -> should/could be
The train -> unit/53/level/1 talk about technology -> unit/53/level/2 ride a train or bus
Economics -> /unit/55/level/4 (locked on snake despite previously being gold on the tree)
Work 3 -> unit/54/level/5 personalized practice -> unit/54/level/6 describe a work day

Last edited by oskeith on Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I notice that schools now shows which lessons are linked together when you select a lesson. The levels don't match links though.

schools.jpg
schools.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 2007 times

duome

Post by duome »

DaliborNovy wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:32 pm

@duome Dear admin. I know there's time, no rush. If all the other problems were solved... I have an idea. Are any details of practice sessions type "www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/45/level/2" visible in the database? Is there a way to link these lessons back to skill names? Then the XP per Skill graph might work one day.

On the old tree every step would be a unique skill with an id; on the new path about half of the steps are practice sessions associated with multiple skills, but duolingo records none of the ids for these "practice" steps, leaving the corresponding field blank, so the answer is no. We cannot rebuild the missing data from "nothing". The XP per Skill graph is still working though. The real issue is that now there are lots of practice sessions thrown into the path, but no details in the data.

Return to “Duolingo”