Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Did Duo just kill off the direct links to the old tree?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Corinnebelle

Re: Did Duo just kill off the direct links to the old tree?

Post by Corinnebelle »

DaliborNovy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:50 pm

DuoBooster has just finished the analysis. It looks like Duolingo is still usable. Using the Snake Legendary level unit lessons repeatedly, you can really get the whole original content. And it will also help them who can't write in their L1 now (only has the word banks). There is almost no translation to L1 in Legendary lessons now (after the change about a week ago). But what if you already have the Snake blue? There is a solution. You can use the direct URL's I mentioned above:

https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/X/level/Y

Where X is the unit you want to make/repeat legendary and Y is the maximum level of the unit + 1

E.g. for English from Czech they are:

Unit , Description , URL
1 ..... Naučte se základy, mluvte o lidech a věcech ..... https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/1/level/5
2 ..... Poznejte základní fráze ..... https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/2/level/10
3 ..... Popište jídlo a pití, mluvte o zvířatech ..... https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/3/level/11
4 ..... Vytvořte množné číslo ..... https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/4/level/11

Probably a good idea to post this in Czech resources.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@duome Were you able to contact Severin?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

No response yet..

st1led
Norway

Post by st1led »

st1led wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:01 pm
duome wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:37 pm

@st1led , is it ok now?

I checked now and it looks like we're getting closer! All dots under the skills are now duplicated and appear twice (probably a glitch in the script). However, the units at the beginning of the Norwegian course look correct, e.g.:

• Introduction -> 1-1, 1-4, 2-5
    Who? What? Where -> 1-2, 2-2, 2-9
    Greetings -> 2-1, 3-7, 2-5
    Actions -> 2-6, 3-4, 3-9

Then I checked a few down the tree and they seem off:
Verbs: infinitive seems to be the first presenting the issue, and also the first where this "duplicate glitch" has a different behavior. It maps to 18-5 (twice) 19-7 (twice) 20-1 and 20-2. 20-1 should map to the following unit (Vacation). From this point on there's a few misalignments pointing at either a wrong unit or a unit that's not there (replaced by a chest).

Hope this helps, please reach out if you need further testing!

@duome Was this ok, or do I need to do some additional testing? I seem to understand there's bigger technical challenges at the moment, but the thread is a bit difficult to follow since there are many different sub-conversations going on at the same time.

Last edited by st1led on Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:30 am

@EranBarLev You must use this URL pattern:

https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/X/level/Y

Where X is the unit you want to make/repeat legendary and Y is the maximum level of the unit + 1

You can get the maximum level of the unit if you start practicing the last circle in the unit. In the address bar you will see e.g.: https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/53/level/11

When you change the URL to https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/53/level/12 and press ENTER to confirm, you will get the Legendary/Challenge lesson. This particular case applies to the Czech course. You have to create your own URL list for your course.

This worked for me in my Spanish course, so I'm assuming it will work elsewhere using this pattern for the url.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Regarding the now gone question about figuring out the level number…

If working on a browser:

1. click on any of the circles: a small box will pop-up
  2. hover the mouse pointer over the button (e.g. "Practice + 5 XP")
  3. check the Status bar at the bottom of your browser, there you'll see the address

level-number.png
level-number.png (17.45 KiB) Viewed 2205 times

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Deleted User 4833

Yeah, sorry, @gmads, that was me. I deleted the question cause I figured it out. :)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:26 pm

Yeah, sorry, @gmads, that was me. I deleted the question cause I figured it out. :)

Don't worry, I figured that, but I had already taken the screenshot and cropped it, so I just went on and did the post ;)

Deleted User 4833

gmads wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 am

Don't worry, I figured that, but I had already taken the screenshot and cropped it, so I just went on and did the post ;)

I'm sure it will be helpful for others.
I went wild doing legendaries today using that way of getting to them. ;)
Ended up top ten in the finals of the Diamond Tournament.

Probably around 6th or so, I didn't check cause I was busy cleaning up spilled juice in my dining room. The one time I decided to mix a little juice with my seltzer...! :D The glass was full, too. The spill was encroaching on boxes of books my spouse had left in the dining room, so I had to move boxes, make sure the books weren't wet (they weren't, the boxes were excellent protection), soak up all that juice and seltzer and then wipe down the floor with water so it won't (hopefully) be sticky, and dry the floor. I used every big towel I have here. :o It also got on a quilt I put on my legs when I'm cold, so I had to do two loads of laundry to clean up the wet and sticky towels and quilt. Oh, and the spill also got on the upholstery of a dining room chair, so I had to clean and blot that. It's drying inverted in the living room. I'm not too upset about that chair cause no one wants that set of chairs, they're unstable and tip back too easily (they were from my daughter-in-law's grandfather's apartment). I'm only using them till I get my dining room set from my old house (or maybe we'll get a new one).

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:22 am
gmads wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 am

I'm sure it will be helpful for others.

Yes, I thought so, too :)

I went wild doing legendaries today using that way of getting to them. ;)

Welcome to the club! :twisted:
But be warned… some may not like the new additional flood of posts :lol:

I'm wondering, why did you have to do it via the URL (the address) instead of just clicking on the Level up button?

Ended up top ten in the finals of the Diamond Tournament.
Probably around 6th or so

Great! Congratulations!! 8-)

I didn't check cause I was busy cleaning up spilled juice in my dining room […]

Yuck! It's amazing how sometimes an innocent looking decision brings so much havoc! I've been there and it's no fun. Well, I'm glad to know that the situation was relatively inconsequential, nothing more than a small bother —the problem is when the resulting situation falls into more serious or severe categories :shock:

Cheers! ;)

Deleted User 4833

I did legendarios via the url instead of clicking on the level up button because level up requires lingots and I’m out of lingots.

Thanks for the congrats on the Diamond tournament.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:48 pm

I did legendarios via the url instead of clicking on the level up button because level up requires lingots and I’m out of lingots.

I didn't know that! Who'd say?!

Deleted User 4833

gmads wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:55 pm
JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:48 pm

I think the trick is that when you level up on the website, you're asked to pay lingots up front.
When I used to launch legendaries off of my Duome page, before DL zapped that method, I wasn't asked for lingots up front, but I noticed that they had been deducted after I completed the legendary lesson. So maybe launching from the url works the same way. It's possible that lingots would have been deducted at the end, if I'd had lingots to deduct.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC I understand they charge you lingots, unless you don't have any. Then it's free. Other thing is for older users they don't pay lingots either.

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:32 pm

@JudieLC I understand they charge you lingots, unless you don't have any. Then it's free. Other thing is for older users they don't pay lingots either.

When I ran out of lingots, I was still asked for lingots. No way to play without lingots. So it is most definitely not free when you run out of lingots. Except for doing it through the url.

How much older users are you talking about who don't have to pay? I joined DL in 2016.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:42 pm

When I ran out of lingots, I was still asked for lingots. No way to play without lingots. So it is most definitely not free when you run out of lingots. Except for doing it through the url.

How much older users are you talking about who don't have to pay? I joined DL in 2016.

Well I thought mine were free, (I joined in 2017), maybe you weren't active at the time they did that?

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:44 pm
JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:42 pm

Well I thought mine were free, I joined in 2017, maybe you weren't active at the time, they did that?

Who knows? I might not have been. Are your legendaries free if you run out of lingots?

Edit: I have no idea why my response is italicized. I did not put italic tags on my post and don't see any either. So weird.

Last edited by Deleted User 4833 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC I think it is affected by the brackets I put in mine. I changed mine to () so you can see what I wrote.

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:08 pm

@JudieLC I think it is affected by the brackets I put in mine. I changed mine to () so you can see what I wrote.

If you put brackets, how come I don't see them in edit/quote/reply mode? Any bulletin board coding should show up in those modes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC I changed the original, but try editing your italicized reply and you should seen them in the quote.

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:15 pm

@JudieLC I changed the original, but try editing your italicized reply and you should seen them in the quote.

I already tried that before you told me about your brackets. Trust me when I say I saw no extraneous code that would have caused it.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@JudieLC The italics was created by this (in the quoted text):

Code: Select all

[I joined in 2017]

Because it contains

[I]

It has the same effect as

[i]

You can edit your post and replace the square brackets with normal ones.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:19 pm

I think the trick is that when you level up on the website, you're asked to pay lingots up front.
When I used to launch legendaries off of my Duome page, before DL zapped that method, I wasn't asked for lingots up front, but I noticed that they had been deducted after I completed the legendary lesson. So maybe launching from the url works the same way. It's possible that lingots would have been deducted at the end, if I'd had lingots to deduct.

As I was beginning to read your answer I just remembered that one day during my first week doing the legendary level, I was in fact charged with some lingots. What I deduced at that moment was that it had to do with the number of units I had already done: I had done two units and I was starting the third one. Since then, at most I have done two units per day and I haven't been asked to pay any lingots.

Apart from my total XP, I don't actually pay any attention to any of my numbers, so I haven't noticed if any are being deduced after doing a full level. I'll try to check and see.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:50 pm

Well I thought mine were free, [I joined in 2017], maybe you weren't active at the time, they did that?

Who knows? I might not have been. Are your legendaries free if you run out of lingots?

Edit: I have no idea why my response is italicized. I did not put italic tags on my post and don't see any either. So weird.

It was because:

1. the square brackets in Corinnebelle's answer
  2. that the first word inside was "I"

Like so: [I joined in 2017]

As explained above by DaliborNovy, that was taken as the code to create an italic text ;)

The rest of the text inside the square brackets was ignored because it was interpreted as a non valid parameter for the "i" tag.

Since there was no closing tag: [/i], the formatting continued until the end of the message.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Regarding Legendary, if you've enough lingots, they will be deducted. Unless you've Super. It doesn't matter how the Legendary lesson was launched. If from the Snake, they will be deducted on the start. If using a direct URL, they will be deducted after the lesson is successfully completed. If you've enough lingots, only the Challenge lessons are lingots-free (when the Unit is already Legendary). However, they are also XP-free now :) (These XPs aren't counted in the league or profile).

Deleted User 4833

DaliborNovy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:04 pm

@JudieLC The italics was created by this (in the quoted text):

[I joined in 2017]

Because it contains

[I]

It has the same effect as

[i]

You can edit your post and replace the square brackets with normal ones.

It totally doesn't make sense that my words were italicized by the brackets on either side of "I joined in 2017", but removing them worked.

Deleted User 4833

gmads wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:19 pm
JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:19 pm

As I was beginning to read your answer I just remembered that one day during my first week doing the legendary level, I was in fact charged with some lingots. What I deduced at that moment was that it had to do with the number of units I had already done: I had done two units and I was starting the third one. Since then, at most I have done two units per day and I haven't been asked to pay any lingots.

Apart from my total XP, I don't actually pay any attention to any of my numbers, so I haven't noticed if any are being deduced after doing a full level. I'll try to check and see.

I don't understand. I am always asked to pay lingots to do legendary levels, whether it's the first legendary unit of the day I'm trying to do or not. So does not seem to depend on the number of legendary units you do in one day.

Deleted User 4833

gmads wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:30 pm
JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:50 pm

Well I thought mine were free, [I joined in 2017], maybe you weren't active at the time, they did that?

It was because:

1. the square brackets in Corinnebelle's answer
  2. that the first word inside was "I"

Like so: [I joined in 2017]

As explained above by DaliborNovy, that was taken as the code to create an italic text ;)

The rest of the text inside the square brackets was ignored because it was interpreted as a non valid parameter for the "i" tag.

Since there was no closing tag: [/i], the formatting continued until the end of the message.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Deleted User 4833

DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:34 am

Regarding Legendary, if you've enough lingots, they will be deducted. Unless you've Super. It doesn't matter how the Legendary lesson was launched. If from the Snake, they will be deducted on the start. If using a direct URL, they will be deducted after the lesson is successfully completed. If you've enough lingots, only the Challenge lessons are lingots-free (when the Unit is already Legendary). However, they are also XP-free now :) (These XPs aren't counted in the league or profile).

I can't do legendary lessons from the Snake when I have no lingots.
I can do legendary lessons using the direct url even if I don't have lingots.

So it does seem to matter how the legendary lesson was launched.

Not sure what you mean by Challenge lessons being lingots free when the Unit is already legendary. I don't see any way to do Challenge lessons when the unit is already legendary.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

JudieLC wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:59 am

I can't do legendary lessons from the Snake when I have no lingots.
I can do legendary lessons using the direct url even if I don't have lingots.

Yes, it's right. In the quoted post, I wrote about the situation where you've enough lingots.

JudieLC wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:59 am

Not sure what you mean by Challenge lessons being lingots free when the Unit is already legendary. I don't see any way to do Challenge lessons when the unit is already legendary.

It's a special lesson similar to Legendary (difficult and varied). It can be launched using the same direct URL when the unit is already Legendary.

See:
viewtopic.php?p=44001-did-duo-just-kill ... ree#p44001
viewtopic.php?p=43625-did-duo-just-kill ... ree#p43625

Return to “Duolingo”