Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Görmek

MarjanZahedi

Görmek

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Merhaba, I understand that the verb, to see, görmek, is a continuous verb. He cannot see some colors. O bazı renkleri göremez. According to previous exercises it should be göremiyor but Duo says göremez. Could you please explain the difference.

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

DmGabin

Re: Görmek

Post by DmGabin »

In this case, you see a future tense (not sure about its name in English) used in a modal meaning (to express impossibility or prohibition). I. e., he will never see colors, not just in this particular situation.

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

The same difference between görüyor "he sees right now" and görür "he sees regularly" applies:

• O, bazı renkleri göremiyor. = He cannot see some colors right now. (i.e., the inability is instantaneous)

• O, bazı renkleri göremez. = He cannot see some colors regularly. (i.e., the inability is constant)

But this is an oversimplification to help you understand the basics easily. There are more to the endings -yor and-er.

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you so much. Very helpful explanations. But regarding the part you said understanding the basics!! There is 67 Turkish lessons here and I’m working on lesson 54, so not much left and if these are basics then I have long way to go even after I’m done with duolingo course. That was not a good news for me!

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

DmGabin

Post by DmGabin »

By the way, here is a real example of the above usage that you will often see in Turkey:

Bu binada sigara içilmez.

Meaning: no smoking. Literally: in this building, cigars won’t be smoked.

MustafaOuz526752

MarjanZahedi wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:52 pm

Thank you so much. Very helpful explanations. But regarding the part you said understanding the basics!! There is 67 Turkish lessons here and I’m working on lesson 54, so not much left and if these are basics then I have long way to go even after I’m done with duolingo course. That was not a good news for me!

From what I have seen, the course is introductory at best. It takes grammar from the very basics and teaches about 1500 words, which is roughly A2.

MustafaOuz526752

DmGabin wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:29 pm

By the way, here is a real example of the above usage that you will often see in Turkey:

Bu binada sigara içilmez.

Meaning: no smoking. Literally: in this building, cigars won’t be are not smoked.

sktrbktn
Turkey

Post by sktrbktn »

Tabii bir de görmenin mecazi manası da var. "Olan biteni göremiyor musun?" derken burada "farkında değil misin" denmek istenir. :D

Return to “Turkish”