Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Esperaba que hicieras una rica cena para mí - They hoped...?

Moderators: Stasia, xillegas

Cifi

Esperaba que hicieras una rica cena para mí - They hoped...?

Post by Cifi »

To me, the most likely translation seemed "I hoped...", which coincides with the default translation.

The solution viewer reveals that he/she is equally accepted, which makes sense to me from a grammatical point of view.

So, half of the solutions have [He / I / She], but the other half translate it to plural, They, which is what I don't understand.

Can someone help?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

eI000yo

Re: Esperaba que hicieras una rica cena para mí - They hoped...?

Post by eI000yo »

Hi [mention]Cifi[/mention] !

Most likely the explanation of the use of they is:

Infrequently, they is used of an individual person of known, binary gender

Source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/they#Usage_notes

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Oh, yes, this makes sense. I didn't think of it because I became aware of this usage fairly recently, so it's still new to me.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

WodgerWabbit
Great Britain

Post by WodgerWabbit »

The pronoun "they" is often used as a singular in English when the gender is unknown, or for some reason the intention is to hide the gender.

Eg. "I don't know who'se going to be driving, but I hope they know what they're doing".

Eg. "I'll be home late, I'm going out with a friend. They're meeting me at the cinema."

More information at Wikipedia

Last edited by WodgerWabbit on Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :uk: | Intermediate: :es: | Beginner: :fr:

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Sentence discussions”