Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Welcome to duome forums

The Duome Team uses this forum to announce new features, new forums or forum structure changes, developments going on, and other matters you should be aware of.

Corinnebelle

Re: Welcome to duome forums

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC You're free to post now. We just have that in case we get some sort of bot or advertisement, or troll trying to post on here.

Welcome to Duome! :D

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:53 am

@JudieLC You're free to post now. We just have that in case we get some sort of bot or advertisement, or troll trying to post on here.

Welcome to Duome! :D

Thanks!

Samara858057
United States of America

Post by Samara858057 »

Awesome resource. Thanks!

Ravidu-shenal
Sri Lanka

Post by Ravidu-shenal »

Thanks a lot! :)

Tim Kool
United States of America

Post by Tim Kool »

Thank you SO VERY MUCH!! We love it! :)

Ara7mfs
Indonesia

Post by Ara7mfs »

Thank you 💗

-_-Broly-_-
Sudan

Post by -_-Broly-_- »

hi how are you

Last edited by eI000yo on Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved here, I only changed the subject.
ThresherSpeak
Hong Kong

Post by ThresherSpeak »

Thanks for the effort!
I used to rely on sentence discussions to learn, but now it's completely gone.
Glad that users are helping one another here.

Jazger
Italy

Post by Jazger »

Now that Duolingo has taken away discussion (one of the main ways I was learning was by following discussions) I am hoping this forum will be a solid alternative. Thank you for creating this. I have attempted to use the Discord site for Dueling, but do to find it user friendly.

Jazger
Italy

Post by Jazger »

I am so sad and frustrated Duolingo has taken away forums. They were my immediate way to learn from sentences I either got wrong or simple did not understand.

Has Duolingo explained why they have done this?

I understand they are bringing out some Max AI version, but that will only be initially available in a few languages, and while AI might be a great tool, it is not human, and the reason I am learning a language is to interact with HUMANS.

SO now I found this site, but I am not sure how to post the questions i might have about individual exercises.

Any advise would be welcome.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Jazger wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:48 pm

...I found this site, but I am not sure how to post the questions i might have about individual exercises.
Any advise would be welcome.

Welcome! we have forums based on the principle of "I speak xxx, and I am learning yyy"

Every forum is supervised by one or more moderators. They are not course developers, but they may participate in the discussions, and since they master one of the two languages, either as native or fluent speaker, they may give valuable answers and advise. Each forum has it's own sub-forum structure, depending on the needs, and by design of the moderator. All of them have a "general discussion" sub-forum, and most probably some "theme" or "category" related sub-forums.

Moderators keep an eye on users' behavior, so it's at all times compliant with out terms and security/confidentiality policy. ( find the links on the very bottom of each page)

Post anything language related if you wish here, plenty of people look out to comment on it.
And maybe the best thing of all - we only have up-voting !! so it can't go wrong !

BB

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

@Jazger , which language pair are you learning ?
Quale coppia linguistica stai imparando?

As in, what is your known langauge, language you speak ? (I am assuming it is Italian ?)
Ad esempio, qual è la tua lingua conosciuta, la lingua che parli? (Suppongo che sia italiano?)

What is the language you are learning ?
Qual è la lingua che stai imparando?

kephem

Post by kephem »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:06 pm

@tenderspore Welcome to Duome! I hope you like it here! We are a growing community that continues to expand and improve.

Thank you !
Duolingo changes often make me a bit "grrrr", but ok, that's there business, they drive as they want.

But today I discover that they left for good the discussions on each sentences.
(In August it was still there)
I really don't understand. It was gold for a better understanding. It's really a nonsense for learning.

I used a bit duome, but now I jumped on the registration.

Nowadays I can really learn a language without Duolingo, but they provide something pretty easy to use. But they choose the "standardisation path", less and less place to personalization.

So, thank you for this place, where I feel I can find back a bit of humanity.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

kephem wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:47 am
Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:06 pm

@tenderspore Welcome to Duome! I hope you like it here! We are a growing community that continues to expand and improve.

Thank you !
Duolingo changes often make me a bit "grrrr", but ok, that's there business, they drive as they want.

just a bit of brrrr?

But today I discover that they left for good the discussions on each sentences.
(In August it was still there)
It was gold for a better understanding. It's really a nonsense for learning.

you mean ... nonsense to have taken it away. well actually, we from duome are rather glad.
we archived most of the discussions, and we have made them available via all sorts of URL's
Some of the volunteers have put wotk in a summary of each discussion, just keeping the best questions wth the appropriate answers, and leaving out the rubbish.
Also we do better than DL - first thing we did, was to take downvoting away, with the effect that trolls can't play anymore, nobody gets bothered, and good replies to questions don't disappear within a minute.
We are a freindly community here, we aim ta having a "serious" community of readers, visitors, and contributors, and are very strict on out rules of conduct, terms, and security policy.

... But they choose the "standardisation path", less and less place to personalization.

they drive as they want. not like we want.

So, thank you for this place, where I feel I can find back a bit of humanity.

Welcome!

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@kephem I will miss the sentence discussions too. By the way @duome also has the tips and notes from each course as well in case you're missing those too. We have tried to archive quite a few sentences discussions and hopefully the members here will try to fill in the lack as well for those that weren't archived.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Kela+
Guyana

Post by Kela+ »

I think this is great

Diamonds please 300 I'm begging

Saga
Sweden

Post by Saga »

Thank you, I am a Duolongo French/British English learner since 50 days.
I like the app very much.
And just now I found duome ad I read a French book abd needed help.
I am so greatfull for all the work that has been spent creating these apps to help others learning languages! Thank you /Merci bien!
Saga in Sweden

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Saga wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:37 pm

Thank you, I am a Duolongo French/British English learner since 50 days.
I like the app very much.
And just now I found duome ad I read a French book abd needed help.
I am so greatfull for all the work that has been spent creating these apps to help others learning languages! Thank you /Merci bien!
Saga in Sweden

Hej och välkommen till forumet ;-) Jag började lära mig svenska på DL, men nu använder jag många olika källor och resurcer. Och jag försöker skriva och prata nu, med korrespondenter i Sverige och Tyskland.

Jag talar flytande franska, tyska, engelska och holländska, så jag hjälper dig gärna med alla dina franska frågor. Vi har ett antal fransktalande här som alltid är villiga att hjälpa till. Jag hoppas att du också kan besöka det svenska forumet då och då, för det är jag som är innehållsdesigner och moderator för det forumet, och då och då behöver jag förstås även feedback från svenskar eller finlandssvenskar.
viewforum.php?f=22-swedish

I speak fluent French, German, English and Dutch, so I am happy to help you with a.o. all your French questions. We have a number of French speakers here who are always willing to help. I hope you can also visit the Swedish forum from time to time, because I am the content designer and moderator of that forum, and from time to time I of course also need feedback from Swedes or Finnish Swedes.

Je parle couramment le français, l'allemand, l'anglais et le néerlandais, je me ferai donc un plaisir de vous aider avec toutes vos questions en français. Nous avons ici un certain nombre de francophones qui sont toujours prêts à aider et répondre à toute question. J'espère que vous pourrez également visiter le forum suédois de temps en temps, car je suis le concepteur du contenu et le modérateur de ce forum, et de temps en temps, j'ai besoin de commentaires de la part des Suédois ou des Suédois finlandais.

Senare kan vi också prata på "zoom", "Italki" eller "Conversation Exchange"
vi ses!

BB

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@Saga

You are reading a French book after only 50 days?....Wow!

May I ask you for how many years have you been studying French with other resources or in school / college/university?
Are you testing out a lot on the Duolingo path?

AFAIK the CEFR French/Spanish courses will rely on the present tense and easier grammar aspects for a longer time, not to immediately scare away beginners too soon. So they focus on a lot of vocabulary and phrases first.
... slowly introducing other grammar points (but not formally).

When I started with Brazilian Portuguese end of 2016 I was literally nowhere after 3-4 or 6 months (too many abstract sentences, animal and food vocabulary).
And that volunteer course taught me way more Romance grammar (especially prepositions, contractions, conjugation drills,..) in the first round than the newer French/Spanish courses will do early on.
I completed it after one year (pre crowns era), practiced for another six months, ran into a PT tree update in summer 2018 (skills increased from 69 to 91),...got the crowns update,...completed several Memrise courses in 2017, started 3+ 5000 freq / 6000 words plus / 1000 common verbs user-created community courses (on the Web),... after my Lingvist Spanish 11 days challenge had ended 2017.

Even after several years I didn't feel truly "ready" to jump into full Immersion material.
Mosalingua Premium (on the Web) shows me some available videos or books (graded levels); might be a good way to get started...not with French first but Portuguese.
I know another website which has several texts (graded reader, the voice reads it out aloud)... maybe I find it again.

In the meanwhile two years have passed by that I started with French (first on Busuu for one year, but it is very quick paced) and even the official Memrise French 1 course (the taught phrases) or their 2-3 series courses (I'm only auto-planting the easier words there (ignore the selected words first per level and Save, then later un-ignore and Save) are giving me a difficult time.
Hardly I can remember (RECALL) the more difficult French words when I need to type them out in the free form text field.
French spelling is a nightmare and real native speakers (not TTS) are often just smashing all the letters together of several words.

I wish French were a bit easier, like (Brazilian) Portuguese :-)

Hope you know that the Duolingo CEFR French from English course will take you many years to complete (as a true beginner) as it is so long.
The newer path/snake just makes it worse as it forces all L1-L3 crown levels in one go; you can't skip over (ignore) anything.

Don't give up!

Finally in my seventh Portuguese year I completed my old DL tree on the third crown level...
......but only because I had to as DL staff is taken away the nice old Android tree apps :-)

Kinda wish I had practiced more over the years on the higher crown levels as long as I had a chance.

Same with the DE->FR volunteer course or EN->FR tree3 (A/B) from former volunteer contributors when it only had 96 manageable skills in 2018 and strictly focused on all the grammar aspects.
But now it is too late.
Looking back it was a good decision not to start with French too early.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Return to “Announcements by Duome”