Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What don't you like about the Duome forum?

This is for Duome related issues only, about the Progress pages, about the Forum itself.
ATTENTION : For Duolingo issues, write to Duolingo support.

XeO3
Botswana

Re: What don't you like about the Duome forum?

Post by XeO3 »

Shadow-banning & the interfering with PMs.

When you have a haversack full of parsnips, everyone wants to be your friend. - Albanian proverb

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

XeO3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:21 pm

The shadow banning happened with Duolingo. As far as I know, it's not happening here. I don't think we even have the tools to do that.

Pm's aren't read by moderators. Please see this post:
viewtopic.php?p=97117-what-don-t-you-li ... rum#p97117

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

SarlaSalena wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:02 pm

Hmm to be honest I don't care.. I think the only problem is the inability to delete somethings you don't like

You can't delete stuff if someone comments on it. After that you can only edit it. If you write something and someone hasn't commented on it yet, you can delete. It is a drawback of Duome compared to Duolingo where you could delete anything.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

cah2o

Post by cah2o »

Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:54 pm

The servers are permanently under surveilance of ...google and bing, MSN, IBM, ... ;-)

I think when it comes to scanning and being afraid of being observed, the suspicion would be more on the US, don't you think?

BB

👀 Big Brother and the Men in Black are watching you 8-)

The_lost
Algeria

Post by The_lost »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Hmm to be honest I don't care.. I think the only problem is the inability to delete somethings you don't like

You can't delete stuff if someone comments on it. After that you can only edit it. If you write something and someone hasn't commented on it yet, you can delete. It is a drawback of Duome compared to Duolingo where you could delete anything.

So it is a problem that must be solved as well

لا تبكي على المصير الذي ولدت به.. فكلنا ولدنا أحرارا..
Free Palestine 🇵🇸 ❤️

SarlaSalena
Algeria

Post by SarlaSalena »

PtolemysXX wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:15 pm

I think the only problem is the inability to delete somethings you don't like

Then the forum would be a blank page. Whatever you write there is always going to be someone who does not like it ;)

الله يبارك ذكي
You see the intelligence to never add the choice

كل شيء فكرة

SarlaSalena
Algeria

Post by SarlaSalena »

HeyMarlana wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:17 pm

I think the only problem is the inability to delete somethings you don't like

No one should be interrupting your enjoyment of the forum.

There is a line between things we don't like, and things that are violating the guidelines. If you notice something actually is in violation, report it, and the mods can review it. If there isn't a violation, but you find that you are frequently at odds with certain people, you are free to use the block function.

Sorry, I can't understand you ..I am talking about my comments I can't delete it.. and I know that you can't help me and fix the problem ..Please let your mind get some rest
I want to know what kind of thought you have

كل شيء فكرة

SarlaSalena
Algeria

Post by SarlaSalena »

yeah I know 😀
and.. I need something new 🐥
can you fix the problem 🤡

كل شيء فكرة

wiederbelebt
United States of America

Post by wiederbelebt »

SarlaSalena wrote:

yeah I know 😀
and.. I need something new 🐥
can you fix the problem 🤡

Can you edit your post down to a single character, e.g., ".", to, in effect, delete it? Or, did someone already quote you, and you want to delete the quotation, too?

Native :us: / Proficient :de: / Meh :fr: / Gold Tree but Bad :it: / Worked Hard But Stuck :ru: / Dabbler :greece: :kr: / Bucket List :es: / Wish List :iceland:

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

SarlaSalena wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:00 pm

I am talking about my comments I can't delete it.. I know that you can't help me and fix the problem ..Please let your mind get some rest...I want to know what kind of thought you have

Well now, I can't very well let my mind rest and give my thoughts. :)

But to take my mind our of rest-mode for a moment:
Top right corner of your message, the X deletes a post, and the pencil icon is for editing. Use them at your discretion.
For anything else, use the report button (the ! icon) so the mods can be made aware of it.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

The_lost wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:40 pm

So it is a problem that must be solved as well

I think that is a technical issue with the kind of forum structure we are using phbb boards.

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:31 pm

I think that is a technical issue with the kind of forum structure we are using phbb boards.

Okay this is starting to make sense. Are we referring to the fact that Duolingo had parent/child comments whereby if a person posted something as a parent comment, and there were child comments in reply thereafter, if they deleted their own parent comment the child comments were also removed in the process?

This was a way that regular users could manipulate the content, but isn't a structure that is common on other message boards.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

XeO3
Botswana

Post by XeO3 »

The absence of some of the most useful people from the Duolingo Forum & the presence of too many of the most irritating people from the Duolingo Forum.

When you have a haversack full of parsnips, everyone wants to be your friend. - Albanian proverb

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

XeO3 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:12 am

The absence of some of the most useful people from the Duolingo Forum & the presence of too many of the most irritating people from the Duolingo Forum.

I miss some of my friends from Duolingo too!

ISLAM..
Algeria

Post by ISLAM.. »

The_lost wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:01 pm
Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:51 pm

Note to everyone:

as a co-founder of duome we aimed from the start at being 100% non-political discussions about languages and related topics, with a first goal to offer an alternative to the defunct DL-discussions, and give access to former discussions via an almost complete archive, known as the hobune archives.

We eliminated some of the features that lead to trolling - we removed the downvote button. if any reaction must be, positive or negative, then be it by a written post, so further discussion/debate is possible.

With the various political situations in mind, people wanted to show sympathy with affected regions. We, as a mod team with 12 members, all very dedicated to keep this objective standing, allowed members expression of such sympanthy. We tolerate this, in colors of avatars and in signatures, and we tolerate that if sympathy is with people, not with regimes. We all hate war or even smaller size regional conflicts, but we as a team have never and will never express any political point of view.

We are, we mods ought to be as an example for the community, and we will at all times remain neutral.

And our collective goal is to keep this forum safe and quite a pleasant place for people interested in any language of the world.

Recently we had to ban a few members, and it's lifetime ban, after they neglected a first warning by the mod team. And they continued on the path against the forum rules and terms, so they have had a second chance but did not learn the lesson.

BB

If we get into politics, things can never end peacefully, because everyone has an opinion and everyone has an orientation, but in the end we are here to learn a language.

Yes, I agree with you. Everyone defends his right and his idea, and it is not permissible for anyone to impose his opinion on us. There must be freedom.

البدايات للكل والثبات للصادقين
((اللَّهُمَّ إِنَّكَ عُفُوٌّ كَرِيمٌ تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنِّي))

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:23 pm
XeO3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:21 pm

The shadow banning happened with Duolingo. As far as I know, it's not happening here. I don't think we even have the tools to do that.

I was shadowbanned on the duolingo forums back in 2019 supposedly because I kept telling people how to avoid the health feature on the app lol :lol:

eI000yo

Re: Who do you think would make an ok moderator here ?

Post by eI000yo »

eI000yo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:00 pm
Basler Biker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:03 am

(…)
Well, we had 114 users online just 4 months ago, now 417 with a peak of 576, so there are readers...
(…)

Actually?
Do you think these users are real people? I copied and pasted right now: