Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Wakin imakuna runasimita yachaypaq

Stasia
Poland

Wakin imakuna runasimita yachaypaq

Post by Stasia »

Allilianchu, turachaykuna, ñañachaykuna, imaynalla kashankichis? Runasimita rimankichischu? Ichapaschá, runasimita yachayta qallarishankichischu?

Kaypi, recursokuna runasimita yachaypaq churamusaq.

Ñawpaq, kaypi kashan "conjugación de verbos", castellanupi:

quechua-conjug-2.pdf
(39.16 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Huq kuti, aswanta churamusaq, ichaqa kunanlla, chay sitiyu pisi gramaticata kashan, inglespiwan, castellanuwan:

www.andes.org/q_grammar.html

Chhaymanta, sichus diksiunariuta mashkanki, chay allin kashan:

www.runasimi.de

Telefonupi, mashkaychis "QichwaDic", haqaypi ashka diksiunariukunayuq kashanku.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

lrai
United States of America

Re: Wakin imakuna runasimita yachaypaq

Post by lrai »

Stasia:

I am interested in the flag you have for this language, I am unsure what language this is, can you tell me? I don't recognize it or the flag but then I am not a language expert, however I love learning new things. Thanks

lrai
what's your legacy
Image 🇨🇳 🇷🇺 Learning Yiddish, Chinese, Russian

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

lrai wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:05 am

Stasia:

I am interested in the flag you have for this language, I am unsure what language this is, can you tell me? I don't recognize it or the flag but then I am not a language expert, however I love learning new things. Thanks

Of course. This is the Quechua language, which was the official language of the Inca Empire and today is spoken by some 10 million people across the Andes (mainly Peru, Bolivia, and Ecuador).

When I get some time I'll compose a proper post in a new topic covering more general language info (I want it to be pretty, trilingual, Quechua-Spanish-English). The page cited in the opening post - http://www.andes.org/ - has some basic info as well (if it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2000, it's because it hasn't). There used to be a good Quechua learning manual (in Spanish) online, now I can only find it here: https://www.scribd.com/document/4283476 ... de-Quechua and I'm not sure how that website works (do you need to pay to access? no idea).

The www.runasimi.de website has a decent Quechua dictionary, searchable in several languages.

There are a few universities in the US which offer Quechua classes, for example University of Michigan. They use this textbook in their course - Kawsay Vida by Rosaleen Howard (link to Amazon store).

I have composed a quite extensive Quechua grammar compendium, but it's all in Polish, as I created it as a way of understanding the grammar for myself. The attachment in the post above includes verb conjugation tables - in Spanish and with a lot of color-coding. :lol:

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

That is interesting, how did you choose the flag?

lrai
what's your legacy

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

lrai wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:04 am

I'm not Stasia, but I try to answer: It's always difficult to choose a flag for a language, because... "flags are not languages!" :)

But it's more visually attractive so we use them.

I made a "two-days" research looking which one put in. There is not, as far as I know, official one.

I ended up choosing the "Cusco official flag". Today I added the "round inca shield". But we are open to other ideas!

Thank you!

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

lrai wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:04 am

I did not.

The rainbow flag is traditionally assigned to the Inca empire, where Quechua was the official language. Today it is also the flag of the city of Cuzco, where Quechua is widely spoken.

The Incas did not have a flag per-se because having a flag is a European concept, but we know that a rainbow was part of the Incas' emblem:

Bernabé Cobo wrote:

The royal standard or banner was a small square flag, ten or twelve spans around, made of cotton or wool cloth, placed on the end of a long staff, stretched and stiff such that it did not wave in the air and on it each king painted his arms and emblems, for each one chose different ones, though the sign of the Incas was the rainbow and two parallel snakes along the width with the tassel as a crown, which each king used to add for a badge or blazon those preferred, like a lion, an eagle and other figures.

(... el guión o estandarte real era una banderilla cuadrada y pequeña, de diez o doce palmos de ruedo, hecha de lienzo de algodón o de lana, iba puesta en el remate de una asta larga, tendida y tiesa, sin que ondease al aire, y en ella pintaba cada rey sus armas y divisas, porque cada uno las escogía diferentes, aunque las generales de los Incas eran el arco celeste y dos culebras tendidas a lo largo paralelas con la borda que le servía de corona, a las cuales solía añadir por divisa y blasón cada rey las que le parecía, como un león, un águila y otras figuras.)
-Bernabé Cobo, Historia del Nuevo Mundo (1653)

(Quoted from Wikipedia but you can browse the whole Cobo's manuscript online; transcription vol. 1, 2).

Since we don't really know how the rainbow pattern was presented during the Inca Empire, two variants of "rainbow flag" have been used since the middle of the 20th century to symbolize the native people of the Andes: first the diagonal/checkered "wiphala" flag in Bolivia (used as the symbol of the Aymara-speaking people, and more broadly indigenous people of Bolivia), and later the striped flag in Peru (used as the symbol of Cuzco and of the Inca Empire, and by extension, for the Quechua people and language). Here is a short history of the striped flag (in English).

A Google search will show you some heated and bitter debates whether wiphala has actual Prehispanic roots, or is a fake invented in the 20th century. :lol: I don't want to get into that, but I can tell you that the idea of a checkered design is certainly very old and present on some very ancient iconography (over a 1000 years old). However, filling that "checkered board" with rainbow colors is much more recent: combining an ancient pattern, with a historical description of the Inca banner, to create a modern flag. The article cited above gives 1945 for the first confirmed instance of the wiphala as we know it today, and the period between 1948 and 1973 for the emergence of the striped Inca/Cuzco flag.

Wiphala/Aymara flag in Bolivia:

Inca/Cuzco flag with the Peruvian flag in Cuzco:

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Matozone and Stasia:

Thank you both for the info...as a teacher it is always great to learn something new. I love this, and thanks for taking the time to educate.

lrai
what's your legacy

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

lrai wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:24 pm

Matozone and Stasia:

Thank you both for the info...as a teacher it is always great to learn something new. I love this, and thanks for taking the time to educate.

That's why we are all here. Por eso estamos todos aquí. Chayrayku kaypi llapantin kashanchis. ;)

Return to “Runasimita rimani”