Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[guide] Spanish keyboard and Spanish accents

Moderators: Stasia, xillegas

dakanga

[guide] Spanish keyboard and Spanish accents

Post by dakanga »

![Imgur](
á é é í ó ú ü ñ ¿ í « »

Operating the Windows International Keyboard

##How to type Spanish accents / diacritics

First off , check out:
https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... keyboards-

This tells you how to load different keyboards in different devices. i.e. it covers selecting different keyboards for a : Windows, or a Mac, or an iPad device.

##Windows Keyboard

With Windows, you need to select an appropriate keyboard to type all the required Spanish characters.

For typing in Spanish, for people who already are familiar with the US/English QWERTY keyboard, I highly recommend selecting the US-International keyboard. So in your "Text Services and Input Languages" select : [EN] English (United States) keyboard, and
go under "English (United States)/Keyboard/" select United States-International. Click here for more [detailed instructions for selecting a keyboard](
https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2825 ... d=28251598).

Click here to read about Functions for Spanish on a US-International keyboard. This points out where the function keys are, to enable you to type these characters. ie, where to locate the APOSTROPHE, BACK QUOTE, etc.

Or this is another article explaining OPERATING THE WINDOWS INTERNATIONAL KEYBOARD

##There are 3 types of Spanish accents, and a couple of special characters :

characterhow toname
á, é, í, ó, úhold APOSTROPHE + (a) or (e) or (i) or (o) or (u)accent
ñ, ühold SHIFT + TILDE, release, press (n) or (u)umlaut
ñhold RIGHT ALT + (n)tilde
¿hold RIGHT ALT + FORWARD SLASHsigno de interrogación
¡hold RIGHT ALT + (1)signo de exclamación
hold RIGHT ALT + (5)euro

One thing to watch out for, is that when you want to type an apostrophe or a backquote, you have to hit the space key after it in order to tell Windows that you're not looking to type a special character.

Click here for further recommended and related articles.

p.s. Using the US-International keyboard has the added advantage, as it also gives you access to other commonly used accents for many other European languages. And all from a QWERTY keyboard layout for those that are most familiar with this. A great asset for those of us who dabble in multiple languages :D

I hope if others have any useful tips and advice about keyboards, that you may choose to also share them here.

Thank you to those of the Global Ambassadors team who have assisted in creating this. A special shout out goes to caitlindsay and wombatua. ![ιροp iGuide iGuideKeyboards](

dakanga

Re: [guide] Spanish keyboard and Spanish accents

Post by dakanga »

##Alt codes : Keyboard shortcuts for Spanish Accents
Sorted in type order.

characterAlt codename
áAlt+0225accent
éAlt+0233accent
íAlt+0237accent
óAlt+0243accent
úAlt+0250accent
ñAlt+0241umlaut
üAlt+0252umlaut
¿Alt+0191signo de interrogación
¡Alt+0161signo de exclamación
Alt+0128euro
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

##Functions for Spanish on US-International keyboard

To make good use of the International keyboard, you need to be aware of the functions now available to you.

1. The TILDE (umlaut) key ( ~ ) , in the top right corner of the keyboard.
  2. The APOSTROPHE (') key, and the QUOTATION MARK (") key located on the same key , two keys to the right of the (L).
  3. And also the (SHIFT) key.
  4. Then there are the different ALT keys. The ALT key to the left of the spacebar enables you to type "ALT" codes. The ALT key to the right acts as a function key to additional characters on the keyboard.
    On some keyboards, this right most (ALT) key is labelled (AltGr). And I have also seen it labelled as (AltChar).

AltGr stands for Alternative Graph. It is a modifier key that is now commonly found on many keyboard layouts.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Xristir : https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2825 ... d=28257010

I just use the caps lock key!

A simple, open source program (for Windows) called Spanish Accents CapsLock can be found here (German and French versions also available): http://www.onehourprogramming.com/spanish-accents/

p.s. I am not in any way affiliated with the program or website, I just think it's awesome. :)

p.p.s Another thread discussing the same program: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/1356 ... sh-accents

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

##Detailed instructions for selecting keyboard:

1. Go to the Windows menu.
    ![](

2. Select "Control Panel"

3. Select "Region and Languages"

4. Select "Keybords and Languages", and select "Change keyboards"
    ![](https://imgur.com/b6XpzHB.jpg)
    ![](
    You will see something similar to this above.

5. Under the section "Installed services"

check for "EN English (United States)"
if this is not selected, then select "English (United States)"

1. Under "English (United States), then select "Keyboard", and "United States-International"
  2. Then make sure you remember to press the Apply button !
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

##Further recommended and related articles

Also I hope others may suggest things that they have found interesting about this subject.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Thank you daKanga!

Here are the archived forum posts for:

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

pawndemic
Germany

LINUX: Spanish keyboard and Spanish accents

Post by pawndemic »

In Linux you can also use the composition key (aka compose key, multi key), which is a very effective way to write all the accents.
I chose the WIN-key for this, for example:
WIN + ~ +n → ñ
WIN + u + " → ü
with the composition key you can write a lot of characters, even the arrow → (WIN + - + > ) or ø (WIN + / + o).
More details:

á,é,í, etc. are easy, just type
' + a → á

ALT-GR + SHIFT + ? → ¿

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

Return to “Resources”