Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

No longer boasting about streaks and league positions

SweNedGuy
Belgium

No longer boasting about streaks and league positions

Post by SweNedGuy »

With the DL forum gone, so is the place by excellence to boast about league positions and XP farmed along the way ...
Are we feeling more at ease? Are we more focused on learning now?

Just to remind: I include an archived thread here: "The urge to cheat" - BBC R4 Digital Human

The main link to the BBC-4 Podcast is still working well. The fragment about cheating in the DL leagues starts after 6:30 minutes.

One of the early threads on this forum went on about the topic of XP-farming and Bot-cheaters.

There have been plenty of such threads on the DuoLingo forum which hardly anybody felt the need to archive.

This is where we come from.

While now, there is a poll whether it is worth keeping your streak with the DL forums having closed.

The leagues have become much more relax after the DuoLingo forum closure 'drew the fuse from the gun powder keg'.
After their appeal has waned for overachievers and league bullies, so has the main reason to withdraw from the leagues in order to escape all of this.

As a illustration following graph of my 'diamond' league having closed yesterday. (No, I was not among the first three.)

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

arthurkun
Mexico

Re: No longer boasting about streaks and league positions

Post by arthurkun »

Leagues are a cancer. I recently re-joined them just to get that Diamond badge for once and sweet Jesus... I literally spent hours wasting precious time I'd be investing in learning properly.

No more.

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

Did you do you first exercise of the week at the same time you usually have been or maybe a little later in the week?

In my experience, the top numbers you show would have been unusual, but not outrageously low, for a league that starts late Monday night.

But, yes, I think the people who went from the Duolingo forums to here (and probably to the other sites where people fled), are on the whole more serious about language learning and less worried about the gaming aspects.

We also seem to have left behind people at the beginning of their language-learning journeys, judging by the very small number of questions about grammar and vocabulary that are being posted in the Spanish language forum. That's not exactly a surprise, as no doubt many of those folks had not been around long enough to build a strong connection with the community and a fair number of them may not have been particularly serious,

Some of them surely were serious or would have become so, though. I hope those folks find some other way to have their questions answered.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

arthurkun wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:51 pm

Leagues are a cancer.

I wouldn't say cancer. At the end of the day the league does no harm. But it is a kind of stupid, and I still don't see a reason why I should pay attention to it :D Well, one can say the same about the streaks, but at least you can use the streak notification as a reminder to keep on learning. :D

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

b05aplmun.ca wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:51 pm

Did you do you first exercise of the week at the same time you usually have been or maybe a little later in the week?

In my experience, the top numbers you show would have been unusual, but not outrageously low, for a league that starts late Monday night.

But, yes, I think the people who went from the Duolingo forums to here (and probably to the other sites where people fled), are on the whole more serious about language learning and less worried about the gaming aspects.

We also seem to have left behind people at the beginning of their language-learning journeys, judging by the very small number of questions about grammar and vocabulary that are being posted in the Spanish language forum. That's not exactly a surprise, as no doubt many of those folks had not been around long enough to build a strong connection with the community and a fair number of them may not have been particularly serious,

Some of them surely were serious or would have become so, though. I hope those folks find some other way to have their questions answered.

Usually I set my profile to 'private' when doing the Monday lessons and back to public again afterwards. League entry is postponed this way and XP-points start adding only on Tuesday. Guess I would need to break my streak now to get demoted.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Deleted User 1414

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

I have also stopped fighting for rank up now. Now I'm doing it at my own pace.

Return to “Random Thoughts”