Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A Yiddish story from my collection of original Yiddish writings

OtAzoy
United States of America

A Yiddish story from my collection of original Yiddish writings

Post by OtAzoy »

I use sentences from the Yiddish exercises in Duolingo to create original stories that would give these sentences a context. One such sentence is:

דאָס זענען נישט מײַנע פינגער - "These are not my fingers".

This seems to call for a creepy horror story, don't you think?

(corrections accepted)

(translation below)

ס׳איז געװען אַ פֿינצטערע און שטורעמדיקע נאַכט.

ס׳איז געװען אַ מאַבל מיט דונערן און בליצן אומעטום.

קײנער זאָל נישט גײן אין דרױסן; מע װעט געװאָרן נאַס װי די מיצרים אין ים־סוף!

אין אַ קעלער־לאַבאָראַטאָריע האָט געאַרבעט אַ מטורפֿדיקער װיסנשאַפֿטלער, ד״ר פֿראַנק, אָן אַן אָפּרו־הפֿסקה.

כּמעט האָט ער זיך פֿאַרענדיקט זײַן װיכטיקסטן עקספּערימענט; ער האָט באַשאַפֿן אַ פֿאַרזעעניש!

ער האָט אַװעקגעגנבֿעט מת⁠ים פֿון בית־עולמס.
ער האָט געכאַפּט טױטע זאַכן פֿון אומעטום.

און יעצט האָט ער געהאַט שױן אַ גוף אױף זײַן לאַבאָרעטאָריע־טיש, זיבן פֿוס הױך, מיאוס װי די נאַכט!

דער גוף איז געװען כּמעט פֿאַרטיק.

ער האָט געהאַט אַלע גוף־⁠טײלן װאָס מע דאַרף האָבן פֿאַר אַ פֿולשטענדיקן מענטש אַחוץ דער רעכטע האַנט און די פֿינגער.

װאָס זאָל ער טאָן? די אַרבעט איז נישט געװען פֿאַרענדיקט.

ער מוז זוכן אַ רעכטע האַנט.

ער האָט געקוקט אין אַ װינקל פֿון דער לאַבאָראַטאָריע װוּ איז געװען פֿאַרשידנע טױטע זאַכן, און ער האָט געפֿונען אַ מאַלפּעס האַנט.

פֿאַר װאָס נישט? ס׳איז נור אַ פֿאַרזעעניש. װאָס מאַכט עס אױס?

ער האָט געאַרבעט שנעל; ער האָט צוגענײט די האַנט צום גוף.

יעצט איז געװען די צײַט.

יעצט האָט ער געדאַרפֿט עלעקטריציטעט צו מאַכן דעם גוף לעבעדיק.

ער האָט פֿאַרבונדן אַלץ צוסאַמען און ער האָט געגעבן דעם אױסשליסער אַ צי.

פּלוצלינג איס געװען אַ בליץ ליכט, און פּלוצלינג איז די לאַבאָראַטאָריע געװאָרן פֿינסטער װי די נאַכט.

פּאַמעלעך, פּאַמעלעך איז די צימער געװאָרן ליכטיק, און די פֿאַרזעעניש האָט געעפֿנט די אױגן!

ער האָט אױפֿגעהױבן די רעכטע האַנט און האָט געגעבען אַ אױער־⁠שפּאַלטנדיקע געשרײ.
”טאַטע, דאָס זענען נישט מײַנע פֿינגער!“

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“These are not my fingers!”

It was a dark and stormy night. It was pouring rain with thunder and lightning everywhere. Nobody would go outside; one would get wet as the Egyptians in the Red Sea. In a basement laboratory, a mad scientist, Dr. Frank, was working without a break. He was almost finished with his most important experiment; he had created a monster! He had stolen bodies from graveyards. He had grabbed dead things from everywhere. And now he already had a body on his laboratory table; seven feet tall and ugly as sin!

The body was almost finished. He had all the body parts that were needed for a fully-formed person except for the right hand and the fingers. What should he do? He had to search for a right hand. He looked in a corner of his laboratory where there were various dead things, and he found a monkey's hand. Why not? It was merely a monster. What difference did it make? He worked quickly; he sewed the hand to the body. And now it was time. Now he needed electricity to give the body life. He connected everything and he pulled the lever.

Suddenly there was a flash of light, and suddenly the laboratory was dark as night. Slowly, slowly, the room become brighter, and the monster opened his eyes! He lifted his right hand and gave an ear-shattering scream. "Daddy, these are not my fingers!

(. . . and a bit of clipart to go along with the story!)

![000-aaamonster.jpg](https://i.postimg.cc/rwXXcz69/000-aaamonster.jpg)

Return to “Yiddish”