Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A New Story for the English to Yiddish Forum

OtAzoy
United States of America

A New Story for the English to Yiddish Forum

Post by OtAzoy »

I wrote original Yiddish for the Duolingo Yiddish Forum, and the very last story that I managed to include was based on the sentence, "the potato is hot". I had to think of a context for this sentence, and so I came up with the following:

(translation below)

איך האָרעװע זײער שװער.

איך בין אַ קעלנער אין אַ גרױסן זײער באַליבטן רעסטאָראַן אין בערלין.

יעדן טאָג האָבן מיר זײער אַ סך מענטשן קומען צו עסען אונדזערע מאכלים צו מיטאָג אָדער צו װעטשערע.

מע מוז מאַכן רעזערװאַציעס עטלעכע װאָכן פֿריִער.

בײַ טאָג איז דאָס גרױסע צימער פֿון רעסטאַראַן לעבידיק מיט מוזיק פֿון צװײ אַקאָרדיאָנען און דאָס אָרט פֿילט זיך אָן מיט ליכטיקן זונענשײַן פֿון די גרױסע פֿענצטער.

די טישטעכער און סערװעטקע⁠ס זענען פֿילפֿאַעביק װי אַ רעגן־בױגן.

אבער בײַ נאַכט איז עס אין גאַנצן אַנדערש.

ס׳איז דאָ שטילע מוזיק פֿון אַ האַרף, און דאָס אַרומיקע ליכט איז נאָר פֿון די שײַן פֿון די ליכטלעך אױף די טישן און פֿון די װאַנטלײַכטערס אױף די װענט און די הענגלײַכטערס אױף דער סטעליע.

די טישטעכער און סערװעטקע⁠ס פֿאַרן אָװנט זענען גאָר װײַס װי שנײ.

די טונקלע פֿענסטער אָפּשפּיגלען מענטשן שײן װי די װעלט זיצן אין אַ פֿעלד פֿון פֿינקלדיקע פֿעע־ליכט.

און יעצט מוז איך רעדען פֿונעם כאַראַקטער פֿון די עסערס.

אַ סך, פֿאַרשטײט זיך, זענען קולטיװירטע מענטשן װאָס װיסן פֿון גוטן עסן און פֿײַנע װײַנען.

אַנדערע, קורץ גערעדט, זענען חי⁠ות.

זײ װײסן נישט װי צו עסן; זײ װײסן נאָר װי צו פֿרעסן.

זײ כאַפּן גיך אָן זײער עסן און פֿילן אָן זײרע באַקן װי געפּאַסיקטע װעװערקעס.

זײערע נעבעכדיקע װײַסע טישטעכער זענען פֿול מיט פֿילפֿאַרביקן שפּרענקלעך; רױט פֿון קעטשאָפּ, ברױן פֿון בראָטיױך, פּערפּעלן פֿון װײַן און אַנדערע װאָס מע קען נישט אױסרעכענען!

ס׳איז חלשותדיק צו זען!

און סוף־⁠כּל־⁠סוף, ס׳זענען דאָ די סאַמע ערגסטע!

דאָס זענען די מענטשן װאָס שטענדיק האָבן טענות װעגן אַלעס און רעדן צו די קעלנערס פֿון אױבן אַראָפּ.

”קעלנער, קעלנער, גיב אַ קוק! איך האָב געװאָלט אײַז אין מײַן גלאָז װאַסר.

קעלנער, קעלנער, גיב אַ קוק! דער ביפֿסטײק איז הייס, דער קאַרטאָפל איז הייס אָבער די גרינס⁠ן זענען קאַלט!”

אַך! קען איך דערשטיקן אַ געפֿערלעכער קונה און נישט זיצן אין תּפֿיסה?

נאָך אַזאַ טאָג װיל איך לױפֿן אַהײם און כאַפּן אַ שנעפּסל און מאַכן אײן לחײם און װידער אַ לחײם און אפֿשר נאָך אַ להײם! אױ װײ!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“The potato is hot”

I slave away and it is very hard. I am a waiter in a big well-known restaurant in Berlin. Every day we have many people coming to eat our delicacies for lunch or for dinner. One must make reservations several weeks in advance. In the daytime, the big room of our restaurant is lively with the music of two accordions, and the room is filled with bright sunshine from the big windows. The tablecloths and napkins are colorful as a rainbow. But at night, it is quite different. There is the quiet music of a harp, and the ambient light is only from the glow of the candles on the tables and the glow from the sconces on the walls and the chandeliers on the ceiling. The tablecloths and napkins for the evening are as white as snow. The dark windows reflect lovely people sitting in a field of twinkling fairy-lights.

And now I have to speak about the character of the diners. Many, mind you, are cultivated people who know about good food and fine wines. Others, to say the least, are animals. They don’t know how to eat; they only know how to gobble up. They grab their food and fill their cheeks like chipmunks. Their poor white tablecloths are full of multi-colored spots; red from ketchup, brown from gravy, purple from wine and others that cannot be figured out! It’s disgusting to look at!

And finally, there are the worst ones! These are people who constantly complain about everything and talk down to the waiters. “Waiter, waiter, take a look! I wanted ice in my glass of water.” “Waiter, waiter, take a look! The steak is hot, the potato is hot, but the vegetables are cold.”

Ach! Can I strangle a terrible customer and not have to sit in jail? After such a day, I want to run home and grab a drink and make one “l’chaim” and then another “l’chaim” and perhaps still another “l’chaim”. Woe is me!

(. . . and a bit of clipart to go along with the story!)

![000-aaahot.jpg](https://i.postimg.cc/qR02dsQd/000-aaahot.jpg)

Return to “Yiddish”