Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

I don't understand the new legendary

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Stasia
Poland

Re: I don't understand the new legendary

Post by Stasia »

@Corinnebelle, I think I know what's going on - they completely changed how legendaries work!

It used to be that you had three hearts for each legendary lesson. Lose these legendary hearts, you lose the lesson, but your normal hearts were not affected, the legendary hearts were completely separated from normal heart system.

Now, legendary hearts = normal hearts. You start with however many you had, and if you lose them, you lose your normal hearts. I started a legendary lesson with 5 hearts, I made one mistake so I lost one one them, and now my account only shows 4 hearts.

I suppose that because you have the school account, that means you don't have regular hearts, and since now legendary hearts = normal hearts, so that's why now you can keep attempting the legendaries ad infinitum. You cannot lose hearts if your system has no hearts.

By the way, even though I just canceled my free 2 weeks of super, I'm seeing the ad for 2 free weeks again.... hmmmm.... I'm tempted. 8-)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Strangely with this new change I seem to be doing the path before the latest path update but my lessons are part of the latest path update. My legendary lessons have reverted to the old format!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:42 pm

... Doesn't make that much sense that you are getting "unlimited hearts" with Legendary.
Skill test outs on the old tree desig had 3 hearts before. ...

I also use the Duolingo schools, so, I can correct you:

1) Unlimited "hearts" are not related to legendary lessons. These "hearts" are some kind of function that limits the number of questions you can fail during a day and it does not matter whether you make all of these mistakes in a single lesson (legendary, normal, practice...) or in multiple lessons. With unlimited "hearts", I can literally answer all the questions wrong and still be allowed to continue my learning.

2) Legendary lessons have the same rules for everyone: 3 mistakes (3 hearts disappeared) and you are kicked out of the legendary lesson.

3) The other advantage of the "Duolingo school account" are free Legendary lessons: you do not need to pay any lingots/gems for them even without a paid Duolingo version (Plus, Super...).

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Gentianopsis wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:41 pm
Thomas.Heiss wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:42 pm

... Doesn't make that much sense that you are getting "unlimited hearts" with Legendary.
Skill test outs on the old tree design had 3 hearts before. ...

I also use the Duolingo schools, so, I can correct you:

1) Unlimited "hearts" are not related to legendary lessons......

2) Legendary lessons have the same rules for everyone: 3 mistakes (3 hearts disappeared) and you are kicked out of the legendary lesson.

It might be for you like that, but only on your account.
Other users have said that staff has changed again the code and rolled them into a different group of the A/B testing.
Personally I have not tried it yet with my "unlimited hearts" feature on the Web or mobile app (with the forced path update).
But there are changes in rollout and new tests going on.

And if it got changes - as other users have described - point 1) does not apply anymore.
To my understanding "unlimited hearts" now fully applies to Legendary lesson tests if the school (or Super) account has activated them.

Maybe I can do a few tests next couple of weeks.
But you know, that Duolingo always behaves very different for other users and some features randomly roll out without you experiencing them on YOUR own account (not yet).

Sometimes it is quite hard to follow the many changes and what is going on.
I don't even try anymore to see the "big picture" as there is no clear strategy behind all the changes - which suddenly behave the worse than before.
Many times they just change code because they get bored - even if something worked nicely before.

They don't even try to add missing and subsequently requested stuff so we can enhance our learning experience with customized lesson features....

But I guess you/we can be sure that there will be another silly UI update in the next couple of 6-9 months!

PS: The newest Android version 5.131.8 fixed an important backdoor (living inside the older Android app versions nicely) which means we can't use the app anymore for several challenges as time will always run out.
But the way staff "fixed" it renders the whole app unusable if you press the "wrong" button. Makes it freeze / not working anymore.
Now I only need to find out how many app versions are affected and for how long the bug is in the app.
The new app version added some new kind of challenges (with the three stars on the home screen for each Unit and section), but staff definitely has crashed them. Even with seven!!! years of Portuguese learning under my hood (from several resources) I can't complete one single star in those new challenges...because the timer ALWAYS runs out - even on the first section and very first 1-3 units.

Maybe I will try some Legendary lessons again next months in my PT and FR (from DE) course; but once I encounter that I can't 100% freely type I will be quitting soon. I don't want any hints, multiple-choice, cloze-deletions, match word exercises.
Especially tapping of word banks won't help to train RECALLING and to check the accuracy level. That's only nice for a TRUE beginner on the very first 1-2 crown levels...but not once you have finished a course or unit/section.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Saperlipopette!

legendary.jpg
legendary.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 520 times

Evidence of unlimited hearts in legendary.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

I think you've got the wrong at. I know you can make unlimited mistakes in legendary on the web if you have unlimited hearts. No more you're out with the third strike. And you can't turn hearts on when using the web....

Get this, on the app, I turn hearts on, and there, I once made five mistakes in a legendary, and Duo then refilled my hearts for free !

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Apologies @Saperlipopette! @Gentianopsis is the one I meant.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Recently, I have been doing legendary lessons in the "Champions" sections of the courses that I had finished. In regular lessons, when I make a mistake in a sentence the sentence will be repeated again and again at the end of the lesson until I get it right. In the new legendary lessons regardless of whether I get the exercise right or wrong the sentence is gone forever. I find it quite annoying - I'd rather have my errors reviewed at the end. I wonder if I am a member of some test group (I hope I a not as I am in a class) or whether this behavior of the legendary lessons is the standard these days.

Return to “Duolingo”