Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What's the point of lingots now?

verdensrommet
United States of America

What's the point of lingots now?

Post by verdensrommet »

I never really used them before, but now that the sentence discussions are locked, what do I do with them if you can't give them away?

Native: 🇺🇸 ~ B1: 🇪🇸 Upper A1: 🇳🇴 Image Lower A1: 🇩🇪 Dabbling: Image 🇸🇪 🇨🇳

IceVajal
Germany

Re: What's the point of lingots now?

Post by IceVajal »

Just forget about them! ;)

Perhaps Duolingo will give us a new way to use them, but I doubt it.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

You need lingots to do the legendary crowns, unless you're paying real money for Duolingo plus. I'm planning to complete every single unit in the Japanese tree to legendary level. So I'll need several thousand lingots all along the way.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

eI000yo

Post by eI000yo »

Explorer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:40 pm

You need lingots to do the legendary crowns, unless you're paying real money for Duolingo plus. I'm planning to complete every single unit in the Japanese tree to legendary level. So I'll need several thousand lingots all along the way.

There is also the option to buy gems. Interesting? I don't now. But Duolingo offers me the option in the Android app.
Screenshot_20220323-001956.png
Screenshot_20220323-001956.png (140.57 KiB) Viewed 691 times
HikingHeather

Post by HikingHeather »

I've had the option to buy gems on the app for a long time now. It was pretty obvious when they switched the app to it's own currency that they were going to use it for microtransactions. A lot of apps have gone that route.

🇪🇸

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

You can still purchase things from the shop. Streak freezes for sure.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

I predominantly use my lingots to challenge Legendary now.

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

Mackination
United States of America

Post by Mackination »

I have more lingots than I could possibly ever use. At least at this point, I don't plan on taking any tree completely to the sixth level. So, giving lingots away was the main point of keeping my streak going and acquiring more.

But probably 99 percent of the people who join Duolingo from this day forward will never know that forums existed, much less that lingots had a use there.

And if Duolingo sees hoards of gems and lingots as a significant deterrent to people subscribing to PLUS, it'll invent a reason to take them away.

Duolingo did put a new entry in the HELP file , that, oddly, points to a forum post "to learn more." But most people will never see that, because if we've learned anything from the Duolingo forums, it's that most people don't read the tips or help.

N 🇺🇸 ADV🇪🇸OK🇳🇱DABBLING🇮🇱🇩🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Have you gotten any lingots lately? I don't think I got any today. Usually they give random lingots each day.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Artemis
Norway

Post by Artemis »

I didn't get a lingot today. I thought that was strange!

Native Norwegian, comfortable in English (C1), learning Greek (A2-B1), know some German and a little Spanish

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Artemis wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:32 am

I didn't get a lingot today. I thought that was strange!

I had to redo a lesson I had done, maybe it is a glitch. I hope so. But how will keep streaks without lingots, or maybe they will change the system completely. What is a streak without a forum other than a testament to yourself? Or levels? But it is an encouragement when you see other people have been working hard too! That is one thing the forum did by showing people's streaks etc..

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:26 am

Have you gotten any lingots lately? I don't think I got any today. Usually they give random lingots each day.

I usually don't get any lingots, except for the two rewarded if I earn a crown (not legendary though)
I it seems to work as usual both yesterday and today, but I am not certain about anything regarding Duolingo.

However, as a plus subscriber, I don't have a clue what to do with lingots.

Gems on the other hand, well at least the owl is trying to get me to buy "hard lessons", "xp-booster" and extra time in timed challenge. I turn everything down, don't see the purpose...

Strangely, I only earn a few gems each day - so I guess the purpose is to get me to buy more gems for real money. Definitely NO thanks.

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

Return to “Random Thoughts”