Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo forums have now been closed

dakanga

Re: Duolingo forums have now been closed

Post by dakanga »

re

Kevin just posted this here https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/57000938 regarding freezing SD.

I do have trust in Kevin. And I have now known them for some time and through some quite ... lets call it challenging times.

For them to say this - that it is just temporary - lets at this time trust that this will be so.

Though there is no harm in safeguarding things, and to also create links/copies (with I strongly recommend suitable acknowledgement)/
to the many great responses and resources that have been shared in the sentence discussion forums. It can only help to also be able to access these resources from different avenues - to assist in language learning.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

So I wrote this post in Duolingo discussions, than I read this thread and realized it was already discussed. Wasn't sure whether I should keep the post since the title of this thread doesn't mention sentences. I decided to delete it, but keep a copy here just in case I should post it, it already had a "thanks". Please give me your advice about whether to repost this. Thanks!

Otherwise it just a summary of what has been said before:

Sentence Discussions

The How-do-I-report-a-problem-with-a-sentence-or-translation- post contains this announcement:

NOTE: All Sentence discussions are now read-only. Previously, Android and web users were able to participate in sentence discussions. However, they are now read-only across all platforms.

KevinR86's [admin] take on it:
I'm fairly positive that this is only temporary. With the changes, it means that another internal team will oversee sentence discussions. Once things are organized they will resume as normal.

See this

pheonix7777777 [mod] wrote in reply to deans857467:

"And while we're on this subject - how are these discussions going to be moderated? I can't imagine each day the mods checking millions (yes millions) of sentence discussions to delete comments that make no sense/are gibberish." deans857467

Very likely similar to the way they are being moderated now... I've probably cleaned up (and warned for) just about as many SD comments as I have done in the forums themselves, thanks to those helpful users that make sure to report anything that doesn't belong there. As soon as something ends up in the mod queue we'll be aware of it and can remove it without having to check them individually, especially as global moderators.

AFAIK there will be stricter rules for using the SDs than there are at the moment, which is definitely necessary. Fingers crossed.

See this post

I don't know if we're going to have to have user sentence discussion here, or sentence discussions will continue after a brief interlude.

If they are closed Duolingo must have very poor communication with staff as well as with it's users. Feels like a monster took over!

Note Duolingo forum posts will stop working on the 22nd of March. Just putting them there so you can see I have sources.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Also keep them here - I would suggest.

Thanks for all you do Corinnebelle - especially on this day of all days.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Still open but hanging terribly!

Can't wait to see this blossom and grow!

Welcome all! :D

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

dakanga wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:09 am

Also keep them here - I would suggest.

Thanks for all you do Corinnebelle - especially on this day of all days.

You have done more than all of us!

I should put my post back up?

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I would.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

dakanga wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:53 am

I would.

I reposted it, with a link to this thread.

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

No forum at all since yesterday morning, March 21, just greyish lines instead of text, and several "new" tab disappeared on March 20.

Now, afternoon March 22 - the SD is all gone, only an error messages.
I hope it's just temporary, but the little green owl seems to do as it pleases him...

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

The forum/discussion tab is now completely gone for me.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

I feel like we're watching a fireworks show, and wondering if the final few pops are the end of it...

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

justheaven wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 am

Kevin just posted this here https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/57000938 regarding freezing SD.

Can I be both relieved and suspicious? Hmm..

I notice that he states "I'm fairly positive..." That's strikes me as a recognition that he, too, could be hoodwinked. Just like the rest of us.
He's not the only one who's reflecting the maxim, "Once bitten, twice shy."

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

HeyMarlana wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:07 pm

I feel like we're watching a fireworks show, and wondering if the final few pops are the end of it...

Yes, what an apt metaphor! A really BAD fireworks show.....

Image L5

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

trackerwannabe wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:16 pm
justheaven wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 am

Can I be both relieved and suspicious? Hmm..

I notice that he states "I'm fairly positive..." That's strikes me as a recognition that he, too, could be hoodwinked. Just like the rest of us.
He's not the only one who's reflecting the maxim, "Once bitten, twice shy."

I can't tell if it's greed, indifference, or incompetence but I agree. A person in his position should know, not be "fairly positive".
At a guess, someone thought "oh they need the sentence discussions for language learning" (who knew!) but didn't think or forgot that if they are interactive that means they're back to needing mods, etc.

Archiving them would be a compromise of sorts, but of course one we consider inadequate.

Image L5

MagyarJános
Hungary

Post by MagyarJános »

justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:41 pm

Have you seen this?????

https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... anslation-

NOTE: All Sentence discussions are now read-only. Previously, Android and web users were able to participate in sentence discussions. However, they are now read-only across all platforms.

What the hell!?!?

None of the SD posts are opening from the lessons page. The page quickly opens and closes. Well, this is terrible.

EDIT: Ok, I managed to open 2 SD posts while doing a lesson.

The sentence discussions don't even pop up for me at all!
To think that they are also read only, unbelieveable!

I think all of this stemmed from that spam incident when a bunch of bad posts were made that caused the shutdown.

I joined the site (March 30, 2020) wanting to learn Hungarian - and it is among the most difficult languages to learn. It is only one step below Chinese and Japanese because it went from its own unique alphabet to the Roman alphabet around 1000. Naturally, there would need to be discussion on grammar because even the word ordering is far different. I got a lot of help from some great people and it was a safe environment. Now, we can't even comment on sentences?

Fortunately, the Hungarians banded together a lot of links and provided more ways for us to connect if we have issues.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Well, it's official now.

I was trying to load this: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2736 ... o-Insiders and I got that page.

Trying to load the main https://forum.duolingo.com also gives the same page.

RIP.

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

It's very bitter sweet. Whoever made the Owl and the Moon deserves something. Probably to work at a better company than Duo...

:cry:

Image L5

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

I was able to post one more plug for Duome an hour ago or so, but now all I see is "page offline
The discussion forums are no longer available" message (as in [mention]justheaven[/mention]'s post).

So this is it. The king is dead, long live the new king - the reign of Duome has officially began.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

Stasia wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:55 pm

I was able to post one more plug for Duome an hour ago or so, but now all I see is "page offline
The discussion forums are no longer available" message (as in @justheaven's post).

So this is it. The king is dead, long live the new king - the reign of Duome has officially began.

Long Live Duome!

Image L5

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

I can't open ANY Sentence Discussions. Before I could at least load one or two after many tries, now it doesn't seem possible.

Have any of you managed to open and see if they are now read-only?

Edit: There's another concern: We won't be able to search SD posts anymore. The entire forum layout is gone, so is the search field.

Last edited by justheaven on Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

Somehow, I don't know how, envieuse managed to post a link to that "page offine" image in a comment on the Important updates to Duolingo forums post. I saw it in an email update on that thread.

This (the finality of the termination, not envieuse's comment) leaves me somehow feeling empty. I had been fitting in slices of time to do some archiving, having a backlog of pages I planned to archive, and now... Even though I knew it was coming, I hadn't fully accepted it—maybe because I didn't know at exactly what moment the axe would fall. <Sigh>.

Well, I realize there's more I can do to contribute in other ways. And I can hold on to g-heike's wonderful image of a vibrant language-learning community thriving here on duome.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

trackerwannabe wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:27 pm

Even though I knew it was coming, I hadn't fully accepted it—maybe because I didn't know at exactly what moment the axe would fall. <Sigh>.

I feel the same way. I still have the main forum page open from a few hours ago and a couple other posts and I don't really want to close them yet. I know it's stupid but... I was really fond of that forum with the good and the bad things that went with it. So much history it's now gone forever.

I'm glad I have this place and you guys.

coto.i
Romania

Post by coto.i »

Finally a SD opens tonight, but it's locked :(

locked.jpg
locked.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

EDIT: It looks like many SDs that weren't accessible over the day do open now, but they are all locked.

EDIT 2: No more Edit button for own posts. Only Delete and Report :?

no-edit.jpg
no-edit.jpg (219.14 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Last edited by coto.i on Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇷🇴 Native Romanian speaker :us: B2-C1 :fr: B1-B2 :es: A2-B1 :de: A1-A2

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

justheaven wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:36 pm

I still have the main forum page open from a few hours ago and a couple other posts and I don't really want to close them yet. I know it's stupid but... I was really fond of that forum with the good and the bad things that went with it. So much history it's now gone forever.

I'm glad I have this place and you guys.

Me, too.

I had a few posts up. I finally saved them (both as PDFs and as complete web pages), checked that I could view them locally, and closed the tabs.

I'm grateful for what we managed to archive.

As I was archiving, I discovered quite a number of valuable posts of which I had previously been unaware.
I wonder what contributed to my ignorance of them, and if there might be a lesson in there somewhere.

Sofia222677

Post by Sofia222677 »

Weirdly enough, right now I'm still able to switch between tabs in the English-from-Italian forum. Right when the forums were being shut down with "page offline" messages showing up, I made a test post at the last minute (18:57 CET precisely) and surprisingly it made the "New" tab:

But If I click on any of the posts, of course it redirects to forum.duolingo.com/sunset.

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

coto.i wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:11 pm

Finally a SD opens tonight, but it's locked :(

locked.jpg

EDIT: It looks like many SDs that weren't accessible over the day do open now, but they are all locked.

EDIT 2: No more Edit button for own posts. Only Delete and Report :?

no-edit.jpg

Aw, there's no more Give Lingot :( It was expected because of the lingot beggars but still it's sad. It was the fastest way to say thanks without having to say it (besides upvoting).

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Luckily in our new home we have a "thank you" button!!!! Love it

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

This is from Forum Announcement + FAQ

Is it me or this reads like the SDs will remain read-only not just temporary like Kevin said.

In another post from the Spanish forum about this issue, another Mod was unaware of SD being locked.

Another comment from a Mod on this post

A mess.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

I guess they have closed the forum this noon (european time) because I still received until 13 o'clock some notifications.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

Artemis
Norway

Post by Artemis »

pawndemic wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:23 pm

I guess they have closed the forum this noon (european time) because I still received until 13 o'clock some notifications.

I still got notifications until 17.40 CET. The forums were unavailable by 19.00 (7 PM).

Native Norwegian, comfortable in English (C1), learning Greek (A2-B1), know some German and a little Spanish

PaulSJ
Great Britain

Post by PaulSJ »

You may still be able to access some Duolinguo Forum pages on Microsoft Edge if you had saved them as favourites. I have accessed a page, it just now says at the top of it "This discussion is locked".

Return to “Random Thoughts”