Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Compound nouns

MarjanZahedi

Compound nouns

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Could someone please explain to me when compound nouns are subject do we don’t use i. Ingilizce ogretmenim ingiliz. Hint yemekleri cok guzel. These are the two examples that I see in my practice but I dint understand why it’s not ogretmenimi. They both are compound nouns and they both are subject of the sentence. Thank you!

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Re: Compound nouns

Post by Danika_Dakika »

The starting point is that adjectives-of-nationality/ethnicity are usually treated as nouns -- that is why you usually see them in noun-compounds so often. But when the adj-of-nationality is describing a person, for instance to describe them by their job or a category they belong to, it mostly stays an adjective (and no noun-compound is needed). This is especially obvious if it is one of the -li adjectives (Hintli, Amerikalı, etc.), because those cannot be nouns.

This is not an easy subject! Here are links to some sentence discussions that have helped me learn what some of the rules and exceptions are. This is one of the things that native speakers just do intuitively, but I feel like it's the equivalent of knowing intuitively in English that someone would be a Californian, but a New Yorker, but English, but Chinese, but Ukrainian.

İngilizce öğretmenim İngiliz
This is a tough example, because (1) İngilizce is a language (and the subject of a class), so it is a noun automatically, even if it is in front of a person. (2) The possessive ending for "my" -im is disguising that there is a possessive ending there already for the noun-compound. You can't add the same thing twice, so the 2nd just gobbles up the 1st.

[noun] İngilizce öğretmeni --> English (the subject) teacher
(benim) İngilizce öğretmenim --> my English (the subject) teacher

Compare to:
[adj] İngiliz öğretmen --> English (ethnically) teacher
[adj] İngiltereli öğretmen --> teacher from England (who may or may not be ethnically English)

Hint yemekleri çok güzel
More straightforward -- this is an adjective-of-nationality, used with a non-person, so we use it as a noun.

--Danika_Dakika

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you so much for your time to explain everything so patiently. Thank you!

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Hello,
I’m not quite familiar to this forum.
1- I was going to ask a grammar question and create a new post, but I couldn’t do it. I don’t know if it’s not available to me or I just missed it. I don’t know if I can start the new topic here to reply to my previous question?
2- I received a private massage and it seems I’m not allowed to respond back!! How can I reply to private message?
3- could you also tell me if there is a way to see all new TURKISH conversations and posts every day. It used to be so easy before.

Thank you

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

MarjanZahedi wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:40 pm

Hello,
I’m not quite familiar to this forum.
1- I was going to ask a grammar question and create a new post, but I couldn’t do it. I don’t know if it’s not available to me or I just missed it. I don’t know if I can start the new topic here to reply to my previous question?
2- I received a private massage and it seems I’m not allowed to respond back!! How can I reply to private message?
3- could you also tell me if there is a way to see all new TURKISH conversations and posts every day. It used to be so easy before.

Thank you

[mention]MarjanZahedi[/mention]:

1. Yes, you can create new threads.
  2. As far as I know, private messaging will be available for you after a post certain number of posts.
  3. Discussions in Turkish are available here: viewforum.php?f=147 and here: viewforum.php?f=165

The first link is for language discussions, the second for general discussions. Stay tuned as the moderation team is figuring out how to make the forum more friendly for non-native speakers of English.

I see we have at least six speakers of Turkish already registered ( app.php/flags/197 ). I would encourage you to maybe post a welcome message in the general Turkish forum, to make it more active. Also, feel free to create new threads to ask specific language questions on the language discussion forum.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Post by Danika_Dakika »

MarjanZahedi -- As a Turkish learner, I think this forum, viewforum.php?f=19 , will be most useful to you. (The other forums links from Stasia are Turkish-speaking forums.) It's the most similar to the "course forum" for English speakers learning Turkish.

That's where you originally posted this thread, and there is a "New Post" button at the top and bottom of the page, so you can start a new message for your new question. If you bookmark that page, you'll always be able to see the latest posts related to the Turkish course. You can also click "Subscribe forum" at the bottom of the page if you want to be notified of new posts to the forum.

--Danika_Dakika

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

Return to “Turkish”