Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Are you keeping your streak after the forums close?

Do you plan to maintain your streak after the forums close?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:56 am

Yes. I will carry on as if nothing have changed. Fluency or Bust!

57%

Yes, but I won't be as motivated without the forum

15%

Meh, I will use Duo as a review practice tool when the mood strikes, whether I maintain a streak or not

12%

No, what's the point if I can't share learning milestones with other users

1%

No, Duo fills me with sadness now and I can't stand to log into the site anymore

9%

I never cared about streaks, so I have no idea what you're talking about

6%

Total votes: 67

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Are you keeping your streak after the forums close?

Post by CaitNicRun »

Humans are funny creatures. We do a lot of things thinking it's "for a good cause" or "because I want to achieve x". But often the driving force behind what we do is to connect with other humans.

Not a criticism. Just a fact. We are social animals. There are things we're driven to do because they inspire us. But most of them have an overlap with connecting with other humans. Not everyone overlaps in the same place, of course.

I run for health and fitness. I do not like to run with other people, as a rule.

I study Irish for my personal pleasure. And I will continue to do so long after Duo, years down the road, is bought out by the Chinese and has turned into a a Mandarin chat app. But as the 22nd gets closer, I've become more aware my streak specifically will become almost meaningless to me personally if I can't share it, and the commitment to learning it implies.

It doesn't help, the very act of using Duo fills me with sadness now and that's not the best state of mind to study anything. And so I am considering letting it all go. Keep mu accounts for practice when the feeling hits, but no more investment in streaks.

It's should be a simple decision but there are consequences: once a streak goes, you no longer get that sweet lingot dump of 20+ that streak maintenance has gifted you with. But it won't matter if you're not using it anyway.

Now before I would have told you," Oh my streak is a way for me to keep myself honest about my practice etc."

And that's still true. But It was also true I had an objective metric that I could share to show I was serious about my studies. I suppose that's still true at Duome. But we have a real language forum now. I don't feel a need for the streak as much as I did. I still haven't decided.

Over to youse. :)

Image L5

IceVajal
Germany

Re: Are you keeping your streak after the forums close?

Post by IceVajal »

I try to keep my streak, which is close to 100 days at Duo, but an other app it's 400+ days. I'm not crazy about the steaks and if life gets crazy and I can't do my exercises, it's just that. And the counter is reset, but I still have the days I did my exercises and what I learned is still there.

I'll use every app / website as long as it help me learning or until I find a better place.

The Duolingo forum I won't miss, coz this is way better!

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I know what you mean without having that on your profile, but you can still post streaks in achievements. Maybe one day we will get a streak displaying on our profiles here?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

Well, I hesitated between first and last option.

I do like my streak, but it's not that important.
Yes, I will continue with Duolingo, I still have a lot to learn in my chosen languages.
I have no plans to cancel my subscription either - I have chosen to pay not because of the forum, nor the few extra features. I like the learning method, with all its ups and downs, and I have the means to pay for it.

So I guess I will carry on as if nothing has happened (almost)...
Seeking the answer I need here, and elsewhere.

I finally chose the last alternative.

I must say that Corrinebelle's idea of having our streak visible here is interesting. Maybe it's somehow possible to connect our account here with a Duolingo account?

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

Fnirk1 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:57 am

Well, I hesitated between first and last option.

That is more or less my feeling, too. I think only hanging on the streak is a kind of dumb, isn't it :D When you really want to learn a language it shouldn't depend on the streak.

Having said this, and as I already mentioned in other threads, maintaining the streak has converted in a habit to me. And it is a short daily reminder that I should something do regarding to my language learning. So, basically, I make my daily 15 min on Duolingo and than I move on to learn something else for my target language, outside of Duolingo. If would lose my streak for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind. And of course, I am very well aware, that my habit is a little bit contradictory, but atleast it works for me.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Fnirk1 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:57 am

I must say that Corrinebelle's idea of having our streak visible here is interesting. Maybe it's somehow possible to connect our account here with a Duolingo account?

We already have our stats on Duome, so I don't see why it can't come here, if it isn't too much trouble! Unless it bothers Duolingo?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

I began Duolingo on March 19, 2019.

Incidentally, with the way my streak-freezes worked out, my 1000th day will fall on March 19, 2022.

My account is rendered useless since my shadowban last month and the fact that the forum will be gone in a few days. Not being able to 1) share the information about my experience in the last three years, and 2) not being able to participate in sentence discussions, which I was very active in on both the Ukrainian-from-English and English-from-Ukrainian, it's left me no real point to log in anymore. So after I get that 1000th Day flame, I'll take a screenshot, save it, and remember the good the Duo brought me. I will be letting my streak go, and my account lapse. But my Ukrainian learning will continue... ;)

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

It won't make any difference; showing off on the forum has never been one of my favorites. With the perspective of the Duolingo forums closing down, I nevertheless 'celebrated' an 18 months streak coinciding with the golden tree for Swedish.

There also is an 'Achievements' forum on here. I can't help noticing it is much less 'crowded' as compared to the multitude of daily 'streak messages' on the general Englsih DL forum and a comparable number of 'racha mensajes' on the spanish DL forum. Well we are much less numerous on DuoMe, but not every learner used the Duolingo forums either (and I suspect some Duolingo forum users had ceased to be learners ...)

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

I am going to complete the full 365 days, and that's it.

Artemis
Norway

Post by Artemis »

I am going to keep my streak going until I reach 500 days, in 15 days. That about coincides with me finishing the Greek tree. After that, I will take a break from Duolingo.

Although I've just decided to not do any lessons today on the 22. of March as a silent protest against the forums shutting down, so I will use a streak freeze (never mind the Lingot wager …). So make that 16 days.

Native Norwegian, comfortable in English (C1), learning Greek (A2-B1), know some German and a little Spanish

HikingHeather

Post by HikingHeather »

I am not doing anything more or less to keep or lose my streak. I never found the streak all the important and ceratinly didn't care enough to show it off, or not, on the forum.

🇪🇸

Chess
Greece

Post by Chess »

TBH i never bother with streaks before i would just do a lesson here and there. Im sure im not the only one

check and mate

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

I was already shadowbanned from the forum since 2019 so that's not gonna change anything for me lol

roy

Post by roy »

Yeah, I am going to try. Forums really help a lot when discussing subjects as complex and confusing as language. I often found myself browsing to see if I can either help or get help from other people, so it sucks that it's gone. It removes a lot of motivation, but it's whatever, I'll keep my streak. I already got so far

Native: 🇺🇸, Conversational: 🇨🇳, Learning: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🇬🇷 🇪🇸

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]roy[/mention], I think here you'll find help and can help others. And a little chit-chat is possible, too. ;)

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

So I've decided, while I'm keeping it as a review tool, I'm deliberately letting my streak(s) go.

I need a break and keeping the streak from before the forums ended...which is official as of a few minutes ago...is sad and emotionally exhausting.
Then I can return to practice without the weight of sadness.

At least it's over now.

Image L5

4theAEsir
Great Britain

Post by 4theAEsir »

I will be keeping my streak. I personally find keeping a streak motivating, my life is chaotic at the moment and without my streak I would probably have not bothered logging on at all for the past few weeks. I might not have had much time to learn new material but my streak encouraged me to review a skill or read a story and that's kept things fresh in my mind until I'm ready to start focusing on the new stuff.

Learning :de::jp: Re-Learning Image

Today's mood is :?:

danford
Great Britain

Post by danford »

Constancy is of the essence when learning a language, so I'll keep my streak as long as Duolingo is an important component in my learning strategy, as it remains at the moment.

:gb: Learning :cn:

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

I have finally hit 802 days and because I am rather OCD I will keep it going for now. I got derailed when the leagues were thrust upon us, and it took a while to get back on track. Once I was able to block them then I could concentrate on my lessons. I try to do one lesson each day as that's all I have time to do at this point. I was focused on Chinese for a long time then I decided to take a break and learn Yiddish. I am not focused on that.

Never found a good use for the lingots, mostly gave them away on the forum. I use them now for streak freezes since I never know when the site will decide I didn't do a lesson...LOL

I just hope the last person on the forum remembered to "turn the lights off". May the DL Forum now RIP :(

lrai
what's your legacy
Image 🇨🇳 🇷🇺 Learning Yiddish, Chinese, Russian

roy

Post by roy »

IceVajal wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm

@roy, I think here you'll find help and can help others. And a little chit-chat is possible, too. ;)

of course :) that's why I signed up here after all!

Native: 🇺🇸, Conversational: 🇨🇳, Learning: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🇬🇷 🇪🇸

DJCat
Canada

Post by DJCat »

I will keep my streak until I have finished the Swahili tree. I just use it to hold me accountable for studying (and not just in Duolingo).

🇨🇦 🇬🇧 (N) 🇹🇿 (Learning)

(Joanne325766 / JoanneS57 on Duolingo)

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

A few days back I posted about my 1,000-day streak on the Duolingo forums, but I think I'll keep it going until I finish getting all of the Italian and German trees to Legendary, and finish up the German stories.

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

2GreyCats
United States of America

Post by 2GreyCats »

Well, I had intended to. But that was when I thought that the Sentence Discussions would still continue (they lied), so there was a way that I could still make a contribution to others’ learning, by answering grammar questions on the German course.

Now that the SDs are locked/frozen/mummified, so that learners can’t ask new questions and experienced learners can’t answer them, I am kind of vacillating about whether to keep going or not. I suppose I should— I still want to improve my German, Sabhal Mòr Ostaig has just contracted to manage the Gaelic course (anything they do will be awesome), and 3 of my best friends are still doing lessons seriously in DL.

But it’s now kind of discouraging. I was never very active on the general forums, but I posted a LOT in Sentence Discussion threads. I wore two hats, I guess— a learner hat while doing lessons, and my teacher hat while helping answer questions in SD.

Anybody want a used teacher hat?

[Talking of Sentence Discussions, has anyone seen mizinamo around? He is my favorite of the German moderators.]

Last edited by 2GreyCats on Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“What the space program needs are more English majors.”— Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11.

Native: 🇺🇸. Learning: 🇩🇪 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇨🇳 🇯🇵

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

2GreyCats wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:36 am

Well, I had intended to. But that was when I thought that the Sentence Discussions would still continue (they lied), so there was a way that I could still make a contribution to others’ learning, by answering grammar questions on the German course.

Now that the SDs are locked/frozen/mummified, so that learners can’t ask new questions and experienced learners can’t answer them, I am kind of vacillating about whether to keep going or not. I suppose I should— I still want to improve my German, Sabhal Mòr Ostaig has just contracted to manage the Gaelic course (anything they do will be awesome), and 2 of my best friends are still doing lessons seriously in DL.

But it’s now kind of discouraging. I was never very active on the general forums, but I posted a LOT in Sentence Discussion threads. I wore two hats, I guess— a learner hat while doing lessons, and my teacher hat while helping answer questions in SD.

Anybody want a used teacher hat?

[Talking of Sentence Discussions, has anyone seen mizinamo around? He is my favorite of the German moderators.]

I'm like you: I definitely participated more in Sentence Discussions than on the general forums. Did you ever have a problem switching to that section? I'd click on "Sentences" and it would hang on the current section for a while before switching or not at all.

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

It already made me sad to see the general forums disappear. There was spam and some same question over and over, but it also was a place to have some pattern you observed confirmed by natives, and to think about interesting observations made by fellow learners.

Now, with the sentence discussions locked and mostly useless (with lots that just have unanswered questions, and some with wrong answers), I'll probably keep doing some Duolingo lessons for some time if I don't forget about it, but try to do more other things.

I would definitely cancel a plus membership if I had one, and I would never recommend plus to anyone because Duolingo might decide to change anything anytime without a warning, no matter if they announced a feature as being included in plus (I think it was offline lessons that they still announced as a plus feature when they weren't even available at that time, or at least not on all devices).

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

2GreyCats wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:36 am

Now that the SDs are locked/frozen/mummified, so that learners can’t ask new questions and experienced learners can’t answer them, I am kind of vacillating about whether to keep going or not. I suppose I should— I still want to improve my German, Sabhal Mòr Ostaig has just contracted to manage the Gaelic course (anything they do will be awesome), and 2 of my best friends are still doing lessons seriously in DL.

Well, at least it's good news to Gaidhlig learners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabhal_Mòr_Ostaig

The Celtic languages really lucked out on Duo because at least Irish and Scottish Gaelic, having no TTS options, we got real full sentences recorded by a native speaker.

Silver linings...

Image L5

mog86uk
Great Britain

Post by mog86uk »

Duo fills me with sadness now and I can't stand to log into the site anymore, but yet I'm still trying to keep my streak going.

I think the people who feel less strongly about this are those who do Duolingo in the mobile apps (especially the iOS one, where nothing at all has changed) instead of doing it on the website.

Now that they've removed all interaction between users, using the website to do Duolingo now feels like walking through a ghost town. What makes it even worse is every day it showing those forced, hollow, soulless "X has reached a NNN day streak - click here to congratulate X" annoying popups. Even when seeing another username pop up on there, it now just feels like "Is that a real person or a bot?". Since there's no longer even the possibility of ever conversing with another user on there, it just feels like all the usernames might be that of lifeless bots now.

I might at least finally terminate my "testmoogle" account though (or maybe just abandon it). That way I won't have to stomach Duolingo for as much time each day if I just stick to only keeping up my streak on one account - my main account - rather than on both.

I don't know why I really care at all about losing whatever my streaks are (somewhere around 1700 ~ 1900 days on either account). I think it's more that I don't know whether I won't suddenly care after I've lost them and then not be able to get my streaks back. There are already too many things that have changed on Duolingo that feel like it's pushing me away from wanting to use it, I worry that if I were to lose my streak it might be the last thing that kept me persisting with using Duo. I don't want to end up stopping using Duo. I think I just need to write more userscripts to turn Duo back into something I can continue enjoying and benefitting from. At least until the time that Duo has fallen so far that a better app has been able to come along and surpass it to take Duo's place.

a.k.a. testmoogleNative: 🇬🇧:england:Learning: 🇯🇵

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

There are too many ovelaps in the poll options for me to click just one...

For example, I will pretty much carry on learning what I was learning as if nothing has happened....but it had never been "fluency or bust" for me anyway.

I will miss that forum "feeling" of people all doing the same thing at the same time, and being able to see each other's streaks, crowns and levels etc. I don't care if was pointless. I simply liked it that way.

Last edited by Davey944676 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

yep, over a 30-day streak I try not to look at it unless I think I lost it

Theron126
Russia

Post by Theron126 »

For years my Duo activity has been almost entirely limited to the forums, mainly the sentence discussions. I planned to close my account in protest when they shut the forums down. Now suddenly I'm in a position where I need to learn Romanian in a hurry. I'm working through the tree but still intend to delete my account. So the streak stays, for now, but my vote is for "logging in fills me with sadness".

Native 🇺🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Fluent 🇷🇺 Studying 🇷🇴

Return to “Random Thoughts”