Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Vad dom kommer... (first question)

Will709432

Vad dom kommer... (first question)

Post by Will709432 »

Wanna say thanks for starting this forum, first of all.

Hopefully a native && || expert in the language can help with this expression

Vad dom kommer utför trappan att tycka att jag är duktig hemma!

Maybe that's a misprint and supposed to be som not dom, but still can't get the meaning of this phrase.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: Vad dom kommer... (first question)

Post by Basler Biker »

Will709432 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:08 pm

Wanna say thanks for starting this forum, first of all.

Hopefully a native && || expert in the language can help with this expression

Maybe that's a misprint and supposed to be som not dom, but still can't get the meaning of this phrase.

Thx. Yes the forum structure is there, still if something is not clear, just ask.
And for your question, let's give it some time, someone will pick it up.
Also... because I have no clue what it could be... ;-)

PS: maybe leave some hint on Duolingo that you're waiting for the renown natives to come over and reply here...
Because I have been muted there, like so many other people, because I made too much publicity for this new forum...

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Crahdol
Japan

Post by Crahdol »

I'm a native and this sentence doesn't make sense to me.

If you remove "utför trappan" it makes sense though. The it means something like "They will think I'm doing good at home".

Sidenote: "Dom" is a word that many natives mess up in writing. It is always read/pronounced as "Dom" but always written either as "de" or "dem". "De" if it is the subject of the sentence and "dem" if it is the object.

Lycka till med Dina svenskastudier.

Vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards/よろしくお願いします
Crahdol
| 🇸🇪: Native | 🇬🇧: Fluent | 🇯🇵: N5 |

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

[mention]Will709432[/mention]
Allow me to move the post to "I am learning Swedish...from English => Questions and Answers" (Tag=[QANDA])

The "I speak ...Swedish" forum is for general topics, not necessarily language related.
I know it's somewhat ambiguous when one sees the new duome forum structure the first time.
But it's pretty much parallel to what existed on Duolingo (can we already use the past tense) ;-)

[mention]Crahdol[/mention]
you may subscribe to this one, if you plan to answer more questions. (the forum subscribe button is a cryptic one on the bottom right...) And manage your subscriptions via the UCP User Control Panel.

Thanks in advance ! I didn't expect a native Swede somewhat hidden and affected to the Japanse flag.
That asks for an explanation. Maybe here ...

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Crahdol
Japan

Post by Crahdol »

[mention]Basler Biker[/mention]
Thanks, I'll check those out.

I've been learning Japanese on Duolingo for a little over a year and been sticking to that part of the forum. Found this place after reading about the Duo Forums shutting down.

In the same way that I like to see native Japanese explain stuff on the Japanese forums I'd like to do my part and contribute to other people learning, so you might see me around some more.

Crahdol

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Crahdol wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:06 pm

@Basler Biker
Thanks, I'll check those out.

I've been learning Japanese on Duolingo for a little over a year and been sticking to that part of the forum. Found this place after reading about the Duo Forums shutting down.

In the same way that I like to see native Japanese explain stuff on the Japanese forums I'd like to do my part and contribute to other people learning, so you might see me around some more.

Det är toppen. Tack på förhand.

Will709432

Post by Will709432 »

[quote="Basler Biker" post_id=7791 time=1647726376 user_id=160]
@Will709432
Allow me to move the post to "I am learning Swedish...from English => Questions and Answers" (Tag=[QANDA])

Yes, thanks, didn't realise was posting in the wrong place.

Will709432

Post by Will709432 »

Crahdol wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:24 pm

If you remove "utför trappan" it makes sense though. The it means something like "They will think I'm doing good at home".

Sorry, don't know how utför trappan got in there. Left over from a cut and paste maybe. Yep the sentence was:
Vad dom kommer att tycka att jag är duktig hemma.

It's from a lättläst version of Alice i underlandet. Yes it was the dom that threw me off, not used to seeing it, otherwise looks pretty straightforward now. Aside from that I thought duktig meant capable.
Thanks

Crahdol
Japan

Post by Crahdol »

Will709432 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:44 am
Crahdol wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:24 pm

Sorry, don't know how utför trappan got in there. Left over from a cut and paste maybe. Yep the sentence was:
Vad dom kommer att tycka att jag är duktig hemma.

It's from a lättläst version of Alice i underlandet. Yes it was the dom that threw me off, not used to seeing it, otherwise looks pretty straightforward now. Aside from that I thought duktig meant capable.
Thanks

Capable can be a valid translation of "duktig" in some circumstances. But the straight translation of capable in Swedish is actually "kapabel".

Also, I overlooked in my initial translation, the word "Vad" in this context gives the sentence an exclamatory feel to it. Like the speaker is excited over the prospect of being considered "duktig".

By the way, it looks like you're having some trouble when quoting in posts. Remember to put your own comment outside the quote tags.

Crahdol

Will709432

Post by Will709432 »

Thanks.

There's a similar sentence a little later in the book...

och vad dom kommer att tycka att jag är dum som frågar!

It looks literally like "and what will they think that I am stupid asking" which sounds weird to me. I'm missing something here about how vad...att...som is being used in this expression. It's an exclamation, so I'm thinking this says, and what will they think of me asking stupid questions. But I can't really see how this expression works.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Will709432 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:04 pm

Thanks.

There's a similar sentence a little later in the book...

It looks literally like "and what will they think that I am stupid asking" which sounds weird to me. I'm missing something here about how vad...att...som is being used in this expression. It's an exclamation, so I'm thinking this says, and what will they think of me asking stupid questions. But I can't really see how this expression works.

Like Crahdol said about "vad ..." leading to the exclamation in the style of "what will people think of me if I do this or that".
So I understand this construction in Dutch, and I would say it as "Wat zullen ze wel van mij denken als ik zo dom ben om dat te vragen?"
In Swedish that would then become "Vad kommer de att tycka om mig om jag är dum nog att fråga?"

Of course, it doensn't "explain"... but does writing style need to be explained, omitted words, or extra words "not strictly necessary" but to make make things better understood, even if it's not real simple plain grammar?

Don't take it as a final answer - I am also just learning...

Crahdol
Japan

Post by Crahdol »

Will709432 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:04 pm

[mention]Basler Biker[/mention] tagging you in case you're interested.

In general vad would translate to what. But in this case, when we're not dealing with a question but rather an exclamation, that translation doesn't work.

The best translation of vad in these examples is, in my opinion, how, as in

and how they will think me stupid for asking

I can see the allure in rephrasing these sentences as questions but doing so would convey an entirely different mood from the speaker. In the original sentence, the speaker is not questioning weather or not they would be considered stupid. They are asserting that they will be consider stupid.

Furthermore, the word orders is important here. If you instead were to say och vad kommer dom tycka..., it instead becomes a question: and what will they think...

Trying to keep these post short as to not confuse, but you've actually stumbled upon a rather complex part of Swedish grammar.

Crahdol

Return to “Frågor och svar”