Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

vad är det för någonting?

Darren844127
Australia

vad är det för någonting?

Post by Darren844127 »

I understand that "vad är det för någonting?" means "what is that" but I'd like to understand the purpose/meaning of "för någonting"... it seems there is no real need to have it in the sentence in order for the sentence to still make sense.. or am I wrong about that?

I am also of the understanding that there is no accurate English equivalent for "för någonting" but that a common interpretation is "for something/anything" so we get the sentence "what is that for something" which of course is a confusing sentence..

Any light anyone could shed on this mysterious sentence structure would be much appreciated.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: vad är det för någonting?

Post by Basler Biker »

Darren844127 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:18 pm

I understand that "vad är det för någonting?" means "what is that" but I'd like to understand the purpose/meaning of "för någonting"... it seems there is no real need to have it in the sentence in order for the sentence to still make sense.. or am I wrong about that?

I am also of the understanding that there is no accurate English equivalent for "för någonting" but that a common interpretation is "for something/anything" so we get the sentence "what is that for something" which of course is a confusing sentence..

Any light anyone could shed on this mysterious sentence structure would be much appreciated.

Hej Darren, for sure it's not a grammatical obligation, rather a style of asking something about a strange thing, unidentified, ...

The combination "vad ...för" goes in the direction of "what kind of ..."
So rather than a straight "What is that?" you can be more explicit about a thing "vad är det för någonting"
or you know it may be a bird, but which one: Vad är det för en fågel? - What kind of bird is it?

In other languages that I speak it's all the same, not mandatory, but a useful addition.

• FR: "C'est quoi"? vs "C'est quoi cette espèce d'oiseau"
  • NL: "Wat is dat " vs "Wat is dat voor een ding" or "wat is dat voor een vogel"
  • DE: "Was ist dass? vs "Was ist das für ein Vogel ?"

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Allow me to point to our powerful search feature such as "vad är det för"
It returns a.o. the same question about "vad är det för fasoner" (what kind of manners are this?"
Also take a minute to read the note on "How to search"

And thanks for your question.
I am sure that one of the native Swedes here may want to add something to this.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Crahdol
Japan

Post by Crahdol »

Darren844127 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:18 pm

You are correct that "någonting" means something and that it can be omitted from this sentence. It does bring some nuance to the sentence. Like:

• "vad är det" = what is it or what is that

• "vad är det för någonting" = what is that thing

Please note also that "vad är det" can be interpreted as rudely asking what do you want or what's wrong, unless you put emphasis on "det", preferably while also pointing at the thing.

Vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards/よろしくお願いします
Crahdol
| 🇸🇪: Native | 🇬🇧: Fluent | 🇯🇵: N5 |

Return to “Frågor och svar”