Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Importance of Passwords

These Duome Forum guides have step-by-step instructions and screenshots on how to achieve the desired results. So read the relevant ones before you ask again.

dakanga

Importance of Passwords

Post by dakanga »

Also see [GUIDE] Password reset ; Passphrases vs passwords

![Duo21](
Please note, this is In My Opinion. Not a statement from Duolingo.
However, it is time for us to discuss why it is important to have a secure password on all sites you use.

Including a secure and unique password on Duolingo.

![Duo19](https://imgur.com/KemV1wL.png) Super tricks to make your password secure

• Check out Passphrases vs passwords
  • Use upper and lowercase letters 🔤 🔠
  • Include numbers 🔢
  • Include “symbols” (things like !, @, # ). 🔣 Also consider using letters from other languages that use different scripts to Latin, or even include letters with accents (i.e. á é í ó ú ).
    (Yet another advantage of language learning ![Duo 32](https://imgur.com/MMGDngJ.png) )
  • Make it unique - don't reuse the same password on other websites and accounts. Also avoid easy-to-guess or repetitive patterns.
  • Keep your password secure. 🤫 ... 🔐
  • Change all your passwords regularly. I would suggest, at least once a year. 📅
  • Make it at least 8 characters long. 📏 ( ... image of a ruler, pun on long)

Long passwords are stronger, so consider making your password at least 12 characters long. These tips can help you create longer passwords that are easier to remember. Try to use:

• A lyric from a song or poem
  • A meaningful quote from a movie or speech
  • A passage from a book
  • A series of words that are meaningful to you
  • An abbreviation: Make a password from the first letter of each word in a sentence

Avoid choosing passwords that could be guessed by:

• People who know you
  • People looking at easily accessible info (like your social media profile)

adapted from ref : https://support.google.com/

Consider also :

Mozilla's : Firefox Monitor and Google's : Password Checkup can show you which of your email addresses and passwords have been compromised in a data breach so you can take action. Have I Been Pwned can also show you if your emails and passwords have been exposed. If you do discover you've been hacked, (check out the cnet ..) guide for how to protect yourself
¹ ref : www.cnet.com

Do people have other advice to share on this topic?
![](

dakanga

Re: Importance of Passwords

Post by dakanga »

Advice in other languages

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Today, Wednesday, 31 March is World Backup Day.

Check out : http://www.worldbackupday.com/en/

The reason I bring this up here, is that in the news I read today, due to World Backup Day, is the concept of Passphases. A Passphase is a sequence of words used for authentication, for your " password".

When you use passphrases, also keep the following in mind:

1. Four words should be sufficient. Five words is better.
  2. Don't choose from the most common words, and don't choose quotes or sayings. The words should be as random as possible.
  3. Use a unique passphrase for every account you own.
  4. Use of at least three of the following character sets in passphrases: lower-case alphabetical characters (a-z), upper-case alphabetical characters (A-Z), numeric characters (0-9) or special characters.

see: Passphrases vs passwords

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

There might be some interest in the article "How Long Does It Take a Hacker to Brute Force a Password?." It contains an interesting graphic (updated version here) displaying how long it would take a hacker to crack a password of various lengths and character combinations . The methodology is described here.

Return to “Duome's How-to Guides”