Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Thoughts on learning Hebrew

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Forum rules

General Terms of Use
Hebrew Quick Links : New Posts / Unread posts / My own posts

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] Thoughts on learning Hebrew

Post by Corinnebelle »

Ways to acquaint yourself with Hebrew

I have read on here about people having trouble learning Hebrew. Yes, the Hebrew course was made before the script change used for the Chinese, Japanese and Korean courses was available. This made the teaching alphabet (alefbet) impossible, instead it starts with small words.

I was thinking of how I learned Hebrew and what gave me a leg up in the process. Obviously this is aimed towards Biblical Hebrew in some ways, but modern Hebrew is fairly similar. I don't think these will help too much with sound, but could help you feel a little less lost when starting.

1. Read some books that have transliterated Hebrew words in them. Try the Dahveed series or Ruth and Boaz by Terri El Fivash or Theone A.D. Chronicles series. This gives you a few Hebrew words among the English that help get you acquainted with the language.

2. Get a Strong's dictionary and peruse through it. Perhaps if you want to focus on modern Hebrew you could get an English-Hebrew dictionary. Look up words and get acquainted with them. You'll find alefbet at the beginning of the Hebrew section. Acquaint yourself with that. You can also try loading a Bible program on the computer that has Strong's featured, and look at words that way too.

3. Learn the alefbet. You can do that with your Strong's dictionary or another book with the Hebrew alefbet in it. Learn how to write the letters and recognize them.

Next try something that will have sound so you can hear the letters. YouTube has songs. Memrise has the alefbet.

Other things that are helpful to learn are niqquid and how to type in Hebrew. Also how to write cursive Hebrew.

In spite of some acquaintance with Hebrew, I did hit a wall at one point until I started retaining what I had learnt. Determination is the key and will continue to be for me.

Your dictionary is a goal of what you want to learn.

I'm sure there are other books with transliterated Hebrew words. Those are just ones I've read. I'm not necessarily recommending them for religious content because I don't believe exactly the same as them. They are great reads though.

How I learn Hebrew

One thing I have found helpful in learning Hebrew is שרש roots. Knowing how the words are related gives me a word picture and a way to connect words together.

For example when something touching happens you might say Amen. When you see a beautiful painting you might say something similar. Thus art אמנות, and an artist someone who creates art אמן.

I enjoy the tangles and swirls of Hebrew the way thoughts are related in a different way to English. Some people think Greeks thought in abstract but Hebrews think concretely, in the way they relate to things. ארוכות is long. Paths or ruts in Psalm 25:4 ארח most likely extend a loooong way. A guest, someone who has come a long way is ארוח.(Note: ארוך and ארח have different roots.)

Hebrew roots are like building blocks, in the past people added and built on that root to describe different things.

All it takes is a little imagination to connect those words from their roots together and you can learn many words from each word you already know and root them in your mind. Once you get ahah moment connection you will remember the word. This is related to this, so to speak.

Or you might see a word you've been learning and it's in a Bible verse you just read. Now you can relate to it in the real world.

The main thing is to bring a word from it's island state of floating in neutral "white" empty space and attach some sort of handle on it that you can attach it to something you can relate to.

Some people write memes. Sometimes a word reminds you of another word. Sometimes you can think of something funny. זבוב doesn't that just sound like a fly zzzzzziz-ing around?

All the best with your learning! :)

Archive of comments

https://pjmedia.com/culture/p-david-hor ... sh-n159068

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Hebrew”