Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Hum Seekhenge Hindi Bhasha: Lesson 1

Jacko079
United States of America

[ARCHIVE] Hum Seekhenge Hindi Bhasha: Lesson 1

Post by Jacko079 »

This was originally posted by Anneysha7

https://archive.ph/7oulp

Introduction:

Hindi is an Indo-Aryan language with about 545 million speakers, 425 million of whom are native speakers.

It is one of the official languages of India and is the main language used in the northern states of Rajasthan, Delhi, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand and Bihar, and is spoken in much of north and central India alongside other languages such as Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi or Bengali.

In other parts of India, as well as in Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan, Hindi is understood, and there are a significant number of Hindi speakers in South Africa, Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago and Nepal. In Fiji, people of Indian origin speak Hindi, and in some areas the Fijian people also speak it.

Hindi uses the devanagari script, and is always written left-to-right. The script is the first challenge you will be encountering while learning Hindi, and the only challenge I can think of. As you advance in Hindi, you will be able to grasp concepts easier. Hindi is written the way it is read, so once you are done learning with the letters of the Hindi alphabet, you must have no problem to read it. :)
Sounds cool, right? :)

I will be using the Duolingo Hindi reverse course so that this lesson is as effective as Duolingo’s. :) Plus, I will try my best to provide audios and videos, I don’t think one can learn languages without listening and learning to speak it. :)

The first few lessons will only focus on the Hindi script, pronunciation and reading, so let’s learn to speak first and read later! :)

I mean to go slowly and consistently with the teaching process. Language learning is no race! :)

Concepts
स्वर और व्यंजन (svar aur vyanjan; svar and vyanjan)

The Hindi alphabet is divided into two types.
1) Svar
2) Vyanjan

Svar: Those letters that can be pronounced independently, without the support from any other letter are called svar.

Vyanjan: Those letters whose sounds need a support from the svars are called vyanjan.

This is the only concept I want you to learn today. But, let’s delve in deeper. :)

If you are unclear about the difference between svar and vyanjan, let’s picture it this way:

1) Svar = single letter in Hindi

2) Vyanjan = letter + svar in Hindi.

Let’s learn the svars too. :)

Screenshot 2022-03-16 092547.png
Screenshot 2022-03-16 092547.png (143.2 KiB) Viewed 438 times

Watch this video for pronunciation:

Please remember that there are some sounds that are similar, but you need to focus on the strain put on each letter, that is the key to differentiate between them. Listen to the letters again and again until you get the hang of it. And, practice speaking them too.

Any clearer? :)

If you have queries, please ask me in the comments. :)

Here is one suggestion I have for you before I sign off for the day: DO NOT practise writing them now. Both of them are different processes and it is easy to write if you can speak, believe me, you will be able to learn writing in a week if you know all the sounds and picture them (just picture) well. :)

I will try to post lesson every week with suggestions on how to move on further with Hindi. :)

Till next time! :)

Romanised Hindi? Your choice (An article) (https://archive.ph/j2Uhm)

Lesson 2: viewtopic.php?t=2498

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Return to “Hindi”