Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Minimum age

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

01tmJ8kb

Minimum age

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

There doesn't seem to be a minimum age for use of the forum, and I don't recall any age declaration when registering. The default Age of Digital Consent in the EU is 16, and I gather that this is also the case in the Netherlands where the Duome domain name appears to be registered.

I suggest that a clause is added to the Terms confirming that the registrant is over 16.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

duome

Re: Minimum age

Post by duome »

There was an option to enable COPPA - the U.S. equivalent of this Age of Digital Consent thing - I enabled it, though it cannot really stop anyone from using the forums. At least we did what we had to.

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

The USA is possibly a little older. The age of consent in the USA for many things is 18 years and the rest of things is 21 years.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

duome

Post by duome »

Age of Consent. By using the forums, you represent that you are at least 16 years of age.

ucp.php?mode=terms

In the meantime there are 14 language packs used by forum members and this line needs to be added manually for every localization. I just did it for English, so there are 13 more to go... :roll:

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

I think 16 is OK.

I registered my test user earlier today Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:37 am... and I was prompted whether I was born
before or after 20-FEB-2009 ... Which is a test for 13 yr old...

BB - Basler Biker

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

we're again in the public "requests" forum...or do I misunderstand the goal of "team" vs "requests"

BB - Basler Biker

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

duome

Post by duome »

Basler Biker wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:26 am

we're again in the public "requests" forum...or do I misunderstand the goal of "team" vs "requests"

There can be more threads like this: it was created before the Team Discussion and the original poster is not within the group. Indeed these are more like the Team questions, but these questions can be raised by other members as well, so..

I made "coppa" ask for 16 years or more for now, but this wouldn'd be called COPPA with these settings, right? I made it read "COPPA compliance / Age of Consent" during registration, but this again has to be changed for every language pack in every other language so we need proper translations for that. I wonder why this issue was never adressed by phpbb developers...

These are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe

duome

Post by duome »

superessedi wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:14 am

Italian: "Utilizzando questi forum, dichiari di avere almeno 16 anni di età."

done

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

duome wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:45 pm
superessedi wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:14 am

Italian: "Utilizzando questi forum, dichiari di avere almeno 16 anni di età."

done

Nice.
@duome: do you want me to give you the NL version, or do you manage... ;-)
NL:

I had a look at all "Use of the Forum - Terms" texts, as well as the "Privacy statement"
While they are all very similar , pretty much word for word - sentence per sentence - translations,
the German version of both "looks" quite different. (the content of course, covers the same aspects)

And that brings me to another nasty bit ...EU requires GDPR compliancy. I know that "duome" writes " compliant with the rules of the country where the servers are located" ... but I am pretty much sure that is not conform GDPR.
By that I mean, relocating a server does not make you escape from GDPR laws, I guess.

It's just an observation, and you know that the world is nowadays VERY concerned about all this.

As a personal thing... unless you can't say...where ARE the servers on which duome user data resides...

BB - Basler Biker - Hugo

duome

Post by duome »

Basler Biker wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:41 am

do you want me to give you the NL version, or do you manage... ;-)

Ik wil graag uw vertaling gebruiken ;)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

superessedi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:42 pm
duome wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:52 pm

Age of Consent. By using the forums, you represent that you are at least 16 years of age.

ucp.php?mode=terms

Since a user in another thread said registration is complicated I gave it a try. Actually something is not clear. Even if you declare you are under 16 in the first screen, the second screen allows you to continue with registration by representing you are at least 16 years of age!

BFB59613-163F-4100-9106-EC3447EBF8C4.jpeg

17CD24C8-02A7-4B0F-A661-E6379D10DA64.jpeg

Is for duome, right? changed the php-code to calculate button dates based on 16y old, but didn't change the logi cafter button was pressed. (because it's not the button doing the test, based on its label) ;-)
It should be a quick fix for duome. Maybe better PM?

BB - Basler Biker

duome

Post by duome »

It still lets you proceed with registration, but on the final step there would be the following notification:

COPPA compliance / Age of Consent

Please note that clicking submit will create your account. However it cannot be activated until a parent or guardian approves your registration. You will be emailed a copy of the necessary form with details of where to send it.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

superessedi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:26 pm

But I (in the test) am not! since I clicked on "born on or after" today's date 16 years ago (in the first screen), thus I need a parent or a guardian to approve my registration. Sorry to insist, I must be missing something.

That sounds right - someone over 16 years would be born "before" today's date 16 years ago, rather than "on or after." So anyone born "on or after" would require parental consent. Whatever that means.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

duome

Post by duome »

The way it works, we would either have to disable those age choice buttons, or remove the "you declare..." line (which otherwise needs to be tranlsated into every other language bacause it was our custom addition to the "terms" and it's not there in any of the language packs).

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

duome wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:53 am
Basler Biker wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:41 am

do you want me to give you the NL version, or do you manage... ;-)

Ik wil graag uw vertaling gebruiken ;)

Nederlands
Verklaring van toestemming:
Door op "Ik ga akkoord met deze voorwaarden" te klikken, verklaart u de voorwaarden te hebben gelezen en begrepen.
En je bevestigt dat je ten minste 16 jaar oud bent door verder te gaan met registreren en door de forums te gebruiken.
De gegevens die in uw profiel zijn opgeslagen, dienen als bewijs van uw akkoord en leeftijdsverklaring.

English
Statement of agreement:
By clicking on "I agree to these terms" you declare that you have read and understood the terms and conditions.
And you certify that you are at least 16 years of age by continuing to register, and for using the forums.
The data stored in your profile serves as proof of your agreement and age statement.

Svenska
Avtalsförklaring:
Genom att klicka på "Jag godkänner detta avtal" förklarar du att du har läst och förstått villkoren i avtalet.
Och du intygar att du är minst 16 år gammal genom att fortsätta att registrera dig och för att använda forumen.
Uppgifterna som lagras i din profil fungerar som bevis på ditt avtal och åldersangivelse.

duome

Post by duome »

It's better if we omit "by clicking" because this text goes everywhere including ucp.php?mode=terms where we're not supposed to click anything and there would also be some preceding text expressing basically the same thing - "by accessing ... you agree".

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

duome wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:39 am

It's better if we omit "by clicking" because this text goes everywhere including ucp.php?mode=terms where we're not supposed to click anything and there would also be some preceding text expressing basically the same thing - "by accessing ... you agree".

OK, later today I'll rephrase it, maybe in the 1st person form...or the 2nd person form. I"ll do both, you can then still choose the best one

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:46 pm

OK, later today I'll rephrase it...

Is this better?
The SV version is still being read and approved by 2 Swedish natives...

English
Statement of agreement:
By accessing the forum you confirm to have read and understood the terms and conditions, and you declare to agree to these terms".
You also certify that you are at least 16 years of age at the moment of registration. You also agree that the data stored in your registration profile serves as proof of your agreement and age statement.

Nederlands
Verklaring van overeenkomst:
Door toegang te krijgen tot het forum bevestig je de algemene voorwaarden te hebben gelezen en begrepen, en je verklaart akkoord te gaan met deze voorwaarden". Je verklaart ook dat je op het moment van inschrijving minimaal 16 jaar oud bent.
En je gaat ermee akkoord dat de gegevens die zijn opgeslagen in jouw registratieprofiel dienen als bewijs van jouw akkoord en leeftijdsverklaring.

svenska
Avtalsförklaring:
Genom att gå in på forumet bekräftar du att du har läst, förstått och godkänner villkoren."
Du uppger också att du är minst 16 år vid registreringstillfället. Och du samtycker till att uppgifterna som lagras i din registreringsprofil fungerar som bevis på ditt samtycke och åldersangivelse.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

the three texts have been approved by natives, and they are pretty much coherent, being correct translations of each other too.

Return to “Requests new Duome features”