Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

...ikke noe ... Topic is solved

Moderator: SansEspoir

weerwater

...ikke noe ...

Post by weerwater »

While hovering over my notes on the DL Law2 skill I seem to have marked the 'ikke noe' in one of the exercises:

"Offeret merket ikke noe før det var for sent."

I would have used 'ingenting'. But I had encountered the Norwegian version of the excercise before the English version, as a spoiler.
A bit of a pitty, because I cannot see any difference in meaning.

Could someone please reflect on the reasons for preferring 'ikke noe'?
Thank you.

liv
Norway

Re: ...ikke noe ...

Post by liv »

They do mean the same. ingenting is "nothing" and ikke noe is "not anything"

I believe "ikke noe" is used in this sentence because there was something afoot just the victim did not notice it.

AlinaVolana
Norway

Re: ...ikke noe ...

Post by AlinaVolana »

"Offeret merket ikke noe før det var for sent." = "The victim did not notice anything until it was too late"

"Offeret merket ingenting før det var for sent." = "The victim noticed nothing until it was too late"

While both can be understood perfectly, the former is less awkward of a sentence than the latter.

Native speaker of Norwegian | Using English on a daily basis | Learning Japanese on Duolingo

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”