Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[QANDA] Tycka, Tänka and Tro

Ida794718
Sweden

[QANDA] Tycka, Tänka and Tro

Post by Ida794718 »

Link to All Question and Answers

Swedish has three translations for ”think”: tycka, tänka and tro, and the difference between them is often a challenge for learners. But that also means that there are many explanations online. These are sort of the core meanings:

tro = believe:

”Jag tror på Gud.” (I believe in God).

”Jag tror (att) han kommer klockan tre.” (I think he will come at three o’clock.)

tycka = have an opinion:

”Jag tycker (att) du är söt.” (I think you’re cute.)

”Jag tycker (att) du ska skaffa ett jobb.” (I think you should get a job.)

tänka = think about, imagine, use one’s brain, have mental images in your head:

”Jag tänker på min mormor ibland.” = I sometimes think of my grandmother.

”Jag kan svara om jag får tänka lite först.” = I can answer if I’m allowed to think about it first.

In addition to these, the particle verb tycka om (always with om and the stress on that word) means ”to like”, and tänka can also mean ”to intend” and is used when you talk about planned events that are going to happen in the future.

Jag tycker om päron. (I like pears.)

Jag tänker åka till Spanien i sommar. (I’m going to Spain this summer.)

The answer are originally from Lundgren8 on Duolingo

Ida

Native :sweden: / Acceptable in :uk: / Understand quite well(at least in text) :denmark: :norway: / Learning :ireland:

Return to “FAQ Vanliga frågor”