Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [41-50]

Moderators: The_lost, Jacko079

Jacko079
United States of America

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [41-50]

Post by Jacko079 »

These posts were originally written by SASSYandsisters.

Lesson 41

https://archive.ph/nl853

*Saluton! Today we're going to go through... Ummm let's see... I know! School subjects! And since we already know how to express our opinions, we can do it on that as well! :D

*المواد الدراسية = "Almawaad aldiraasiya" = School Subjects - "Almawaad" means 'materials (in this case subjects)' and "aldiraasiya" means 'for learning' so it basically means "the materials for learning".

*اللغة العربية = "Al'lugha al3arabiya" = Arabic (obviously your favourite lesson because your teacher is so nice! I know I know thankyou! ;p ) - "Al'lugha" means 'the language' and "al3arabiya" just means 'Arabic'. So technically it means 'the Arabic language' we just like to shorten to just 'Arabic'.

*اللغة الفرنسية = "Al'lugha alfaransiya" = French - So we already know "Al'lugha" is "the language", so "alfaransiya" is "French". So it just means "the French language".

*اللغة الاسبانية = "Al'lugha al'isbaaniya" = Spanish - "Al'isbaaniya" means "Spanish" so it means "the Spanish language".

*اللغة الالمانية = "Al'lugha al'almaaniya" = German - "Al'almaaniya" means "German" so it means "the German language". As you can see, all the languages are similar to the countries too.

*الإنجليزية = "Al'ingleeziya" = English - If it's learning English (like the words from scratch in another country) you could add "Al'lugha" to make it "the English language". However, if you are already in an English based country (and the English you're talking about is a type of mental torture where you have to analyze 18th century forgotten poetry) then it's more common to just say "al'ingleeziya". Also note the fact that in the spelling it is "Al'injleeziya" but pronounced "Al'ingleeziya" (remember there's no "g" in the Arabic alphabet?)

*الرياضيات = "Alriyaadiyaat" = Mathematics - Do not get this mixed up with...

*الرياضة = "Alriyaada" = Sports/PE - ... They're certainly nowhere near alike!

*العلوم = "Al3uloom" = Sciences (Science) - Close to the word "3ilm" which means 'knowledge'

*الاحياء = "Al'ahyaa' " = Biology - Close to the word "حياة" (Hayaa) which means 'life' so you can get the link

*الفيزياء = "Alfeezyaa' " = Physics - X_X nope no thanks!

*الكيمياء = "Alkeemyaa' " = Chemistry - Safe! :)

*(علم الحاسوب ) = "3ilm alhaasoob" = Computer science - Don't pick it kids! ;p Trust me! JK ;p

*الموسيقى = "Almoosiqa" = Music - We should already know this one!

*الدراما = "Aldraamaa" = Drama

*التصميم و التكنولوجيا = "Altasmeem wa alteknologia" = Design and Technology - "Altasmeem" means 'design' and "alteknologia" means 'technology'

*الفن = "Alfan" = Art

*الهندسة = "Alhandasa" = Engineering

*المعمارية = "Almi3maariya" = Architecture

*الإحصاء = "Al'ihsaa' " = Statistics

*الطب = "Altub" = Medicine (the subject only)

*الجغرافيا = "Aljughraafiyaa" = Geography

*التاريخ = "Altaareekh" = History

*So here's ya list of dreariness^ If I've missed out a certain word you'd like to know please comment below :)

*Now to a few examples of sentences. This should be quite easy. Refer back to yesterday's lesson if you've forgotten:

*أنا أكره الإنجليزية = "Anaa akrah al'ingleeziya" = I HATE English! [nodding]

*أفضل الرياضيات على الدراما = "Ufadil alriyaadiyaat 3ala aldraamaa" = I prefer mathematics over drama

*أنا أحب الرياضة كثيرا = "Anaa uhib alriyaada katheeran" = I like sports a lot (I really like sports)

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, Please comment below and I'll be happy to obey (unless it's something like 'jump of a bridge' though I may consider it when an English lesson is the only other option ;p)... Anyways, Have a Great Evening! ;D

*Which subjects do you like and which do you DETEST? Likewise, if you are an adult, which ones did you like when you were a kid and which ones did you HATE? ;p I'll start: I HATE English and Computer Science they're horrible :( And I like PE ;D I don't mind Chemistry (cus I'm good at it - FINALLY good at something!) but no thx to Physics! ;) Your turn! (It would be great if you answer in Arabic, unlike me lol)

Lesson 42

https://archive.ph/cCNUL

!عيد مبارك :D Today we're going to go through how to change a verb so that we're talking about others! Don't worry, this shouldn't be too complicated ;p Let's begin! :

So first, list out as many Arabic verbs that you can remember [...] Here, let me help you! Here are a few examples we will use today:

أحب = "Uhib" = I like/love

أذهب = "Ath'hab" = I go

أغني = "Ughanee" = I sing

In Arabic there are no infinitive form to verbs. Infinitive verbs are usually represented using the singular masculine past tense. Leave that fact behind as we'll cross the bridge when we get to it ;p

All the verbs we've learnt so far are about ourselves. So how do we change them into "he likes" or "he goes" for example?

Rule: Take off the "alif" (أ ) at the beginning of the word, and swap it with "yaa" (ي).

Why? Because the 'alif' at the beginning of a verb tells us it's about "I" (ourself). The 'yaa' at the beginning of a verb tells us it's about "he".

أحب = “Uhib”= I like/love => يحب = “Yuhib”= He likes

أذهب = “Ath'hab”= I go => يذهب = “Yath'hab”= He goes

أغني = “Ughanee” = I sing => يغني = “Yughanee” = He sings

Done!

So, what if they are an awesome girl? How do we say “she likes”?

Rule: Take off the “alif” at the beginning of the word and swap it with “taa”( ت)

Why? Because “alif” at the beginning is “I”, “Yaa” at the beginning is “he” and “Taa” at the beginning is “she”.

أحب = "Uhib" = I like/love => تحب = “Tuhib”= She likes/loves

أذهب = "Ath'hab" = I go => تذهب = “Tath'hab”= She goes

أغني = "Ughanee" = I sing => تغني = “Tughanee”= She sings

Done!

So let us make a few sentences:

لجين تذهب إلى المدرسة = “Lujayn tath'hab ila almadrasa”= Lujayn goes to school

هو لا يحب التاريخ = “Huwa laa yuhib altaareekh”= He does not like History – “huwa”is optional just like “anaa” is optional. Remember “huwa” means “he”.

وسيم يقرأ و هند ترسم = “Waseem yaqra’wa Hind tarsum”= Waseem reads and Hind draws.

Ok that is enough learning for today! Tomorrow we will go through how to change to “you” and “we” CYA! ;)

Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof reading, Suggestions, Improvements please comment below! Have a Nice Evening! عيد مبارك للجميع ;D

*سوسو تأكل الفطر = "Sousou ta'kul alfutr" = [have a go translating this!] ;p

Lesson 43

https://archive.ph/aeKO1

*Pẹlẹ o! Today we’re going to continue our lesson from yesterday! So yesterday we focused on conversion of “I” verbs to “she” and “he verbs”. Today we’re going to look at converting into “we” and “you” (s)

So here are two verbs using “I” as the subject:

ألعب = “Al3ab” = I play

أشرب = “Ashrab” = I drink

Take a moment to change these into “he/she plays” and “he/she drinks” [comment below if you wish to get these checked or refer to yesterday’s post]. Now, how do you think we can change this into “we play” and “we drink”? Simple:

Rule: Take the “alif” (أ) off the beginning of the word, and swap with “noon” (ن).

Easy? Test yourself using the two verbs above before seeing the answer below:

ألعب = “Al3ab” = I play => نلعب = “Nal3ab” = We play

أشرب = “Ashrab” = I drink => نشرب = “Nashrab” = We drink

Now to “you” drink. Here, there are two different changes. One for if the person is a boy, and one is they’re a girl:

Rule: If “you” is a boy, we use the same rule we used for “she….” [which I admit is kinda confusing]. So, do you still remember yesterday’s rule for “she….”? It is; take the “alif” (a/e/u) from the beginning of the word and swap with a “taa” (t). So, if you want to change an “I” verb to a “she” or “you (m)”, this is what you would do:

ألعب = “Al3ab” = I play => تلعب = “Tal3ab” = You (m) / She plays

أشرب = “Ashrab” = I drink => تشرب = “Tashrab” = You (m)/ She drink(s)

Now if the subject isn’t obvious from the whole sentence, there will be an indicator before the verb. The indicator would be either “Hiya” or “Anta”, do you still remember these pronouns from our very first lesson? ;p I won’t be surprised if you don’t. So “Hiya” means ‘she’ and “Anta” means ‘you (m)’. So remember those in case it isn’t obvious who the subject is by just reading the sentence. Also remember that pronouns are optional to use in Arabic, as [as you can see] our verbs tell us who the sentence is about.

Rule: If “you” is a girl, we use the same rule for “she…/you(m)” [just as above] only we add “een” at the end:

ألعب = “Al3ab” = I play => تلعب = “Tal3ab” = You (m) / She plays => تلعبين = “Tal3abeen” = You (f) play

أشرب = “Ashrab” = I drink => تشرب = “Tashrab” = You (m)/ She drink(s) => تشربين = “Tashrabeen” = You (f) drink

A few sentence examples:

أنت تلعب كرة القدم = “Anta tal3ab kurat alqadam” = You (m) play football.

نحب القطط كثيرا = “Nuhib alqitat^ katheeran” = We love cats a lot!

لو سمحتي، من أنت؟ = “Low samahtee, man antee?” = Excuse me, who are you (f)?

Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions for future topics, Possible Improvements I can make, please comment below! Thanks! ;D Have a Nice Afternoon! B)

Lesson 44

https://archive.ph/bhpPI

*Aloha! Today we're going to change focus away from the dull of grammatical rules! [cheer] So we'll look at... [looking through the Spanish tree]... Emotions! [with emoticons!] :D

*سعيد = "Sa3eed" = Happy!^▽^ - Also a common Arabic boy name

*حزين = "Hazeen" = Sad :'( - Not an Arabic name! XD ... as far as I know anyways ;p

*متحمس = "Mutahamis" = Excited ᗒᗨᗕ - In the English dictionary it says the definition of "excited" is "Very enthusiastic and eager" [flipping to definition of "eager"] "Very excited for something"... -_-

*قلق = "Qaliq" = Worried ‎(⊙△⊙✿)

*مكتئب = "Mukta'ib" = Depressed :'(((((( - Cheer up pigeon!

*حائر = "Haa'ir" = Confused ¯(ツ)/¯ - There's a few other words for this, but imo this is the most common one used

*غاضب = "Ghaadib" = Angry!! 凸(>皿<)凸‎ - Hehehe mind me! ;p

*مندهش = "Mundahish" = Surprised (☼Д☼) - Don't forget "sh" at the end

*مصدوم = "Masdoom" = Shocked O-O

*متعب = "Mut3ab" = Tired  ̄0 ̄

*خائف = "Khaa'if" = Scared⊙෴⊙ - I know I am bigger than spiders... But I guess I'm also bigger than a grenade, no? ;p

*خوف = "Khawf" = Fear ^ (general)

*اشمئزاز = "Ishmi'zaaz" = Disgust ・ж・(general)

*محرج = "Muhraj" = Embarrassed ー_ー﹡

*حرج = "Haraj" = Awkwardness ( ³  ̄)~ - Similar to embarrassed (general)

*Here's your list! Don't forget that if the person you're describing is a lady, you must add the sound a at the end of the words listed above, except for the nouns (they have "general" written next to them btw)

*Ok that's it for today! I hope you enjoyed the lesson! ;D

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof - Reading, Suggestions, Improvements, please comment below and I'll be glad to ... do wtv it is! ;D Have a Nice Day guys! B)

Lesson 45

https://archive.ph/ZcGzn

שלום! Today we're going to look at question starters! Let's begin:

من = "Man" = Who? - not pronounced like "Man" in English; more like a low "a" instead of a high "a" in "Man"

متى = "Mataa" = When?

أين = "Ayna" = Where?

ماذا = "Maathaa" = What? - The "th" in "Maathaa" is like that of "thick" rather than that of "that" [like my tongue twister? ;p ]

ما = "Maa" = What? - "Maathaa" is most of the time used before verbs or verbal phrases in questions (usually the answer is a verb or verb phrase). E.g. "What did you do yesterday?"= "Maathaa" . Whereas "Maa" is mostly used before demonstrative/personal pronouns (usually the answer is a noun or a noun phrase). E.g. "What is this?" = "Maa". In general, "Maathaa" is more common than "Maa".

لمذا = "Limaathaa" = Why? - As you've noticed, "Limaathaa" contains the word for "what?" which is "maathaa". "Li" often means "for", and "why" means "what for?", so yeah, I guess that's the structure of the word fits.

كيف = "Kayfa" = How?

كم = "Kam" = How many? - Also used for time so you'll see "How many time?" instead of "How much time?"

بكم = "Bikam" = How much? - Price only! [as far as I remember]

أي = "Ay" = Which?

لمن = "Liman" = For who /Whose / To whom [does this belong]?~ - "Li" as we said earlier is "for" and "man" we know is "who", so "Liman" is technically "For who?" [varies depending on the sentence]

So here's a few question examples, using words you already know;

من أنت = "Man anta?" = Who are you (m)?

من أين أنت = "Min ayna anta?" = Where are you from (m)?

متى تلعب كرة القدم = "Mataa tal3ab kurat alqadam?" = When do you play football (m)?

أين تعيشين = "Ayna ta3eesheen?" = Where do you live (f)?

كيف حالك = "Kayfa haalukee?" = How are you (f) ? - "Haaluk" means 'your condition', so "kayfa haaluk?" means "how is your condition?" aka: "How are you?". "Haalukee" is used for a female :)

متى نذهب إلى الحديقة = "Mataa nath'hab ila alhadeeqa?" = When do we go to the park?

Ok that's it for today! ;D Also don't forget, that Arabic question marks are flipped the other way round like this -> (؟) which is very questioning [get it? ok I know it's lame; I made it up just now ;p ]

Sorry my computer didn't allow me to add it to the sentences [telling computer off]

Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof - reading, Suggestions for future topics, Improvements to be made, please comment below, and I'll answer your Q ! Have a Nice Evening Everyone! CYA Guys!! ;D

I'm gonna be watching my sister burning her English books over the gas cooker... WAIT! I need those!!! ;O OI! Sister!!!!!!!

Lesson 46

https://archive.ph/b1lL3

ہیلو! Today we’re going to look at rooms in your house [so like your bedroom etc…]. Sorry I’m late to posting today, I’m kinda busy “revising”, but I’ll try to post anyways! Unfortunately, these may become shorter than usual, but I guess they’ll be easier to remember. Let me stop waffling, and let’s begin!

غرفة = “Ghurfa” = A room

غرف = “Ghuraf” = Rooms

بيت = “Bayt” = House/Home

منزل = “Manzil” = House/Home – [Recap – you should already know these two]

غرفة جلوس = “Ghurfat juloos” = A sitting room [living room] – “Ghurfa” becomes “Ghurfat” when followed by “juloos” which means “sitting” because there are missing words. In fact, it should be “A room for sitting” but here we are saying “room sitting” so the silent “t” is pronounced. If this concept makes no sense to you, and you prefer simplicity, just remember it the way it is!

غرفة معيشة = “Ghurfat ma3eesha” = A living room – “Ma3eesha” ,as you can guess, means “living”.

حمام = “Ham’maam” = A Bathroom / bath – Don’t get mixed up with “Hamaam” which is “pigeons”… I mean if you say “I need to go to the pigeons” no-one will take you seriously lol. So to avoid that, make sure you say “Ham” then pause then say “maam” ok? [don’t pause for too long, it’s a short but obvious pause!]

مطبخ = “Matbakh” = A kitchen – I mean if a word’s not hard to pronounce, then it’s not worth saying XD

غرفة نوم = “Ghurfat nawm” = A bedroom – “Nawm” means “sleeping” – Often, when we say “my bedroom”, we just say “my room” instead

حديقة خلفية = “Hadeeqa khalfiya” = A back garden

غرفة طعام = “Ghurfat ta3aam” = A dining room – You should already know that “Ta3aam” means “food” ;p

علية = “3iliya” = An attic

قبو = “Qaboo” = A cellar

So now we can make a sentence! Here’s an example:

في بيتي، هناك ثلاثة غرف نوم، غرفة جلوس، حمام و قبو. للأسف، ليس هناك حديقة خلفية

“Fee baytee, hunaaka thalaatha ghuraf nawm, ghurfat juloos, ham’maam wa qaboo. Lil’asaf, leysa hunaaka hadeeqa khalfiya”

In my house, there are three bedrooms, a sitting room, a bathroom and a cellar. Unfortunately, there is no back garden.

So we should remember how to change something so it belongs to us. Just add “ee” to the end so “baytee” is “my house”. “Lil’asaf” means “Unfortunately”, but if we decompose it, we can say it literally means “for sorrow” or “with sorrow”. Other than that, we should’ve gone through all of these words. The one thing that is really concerning me, is the fact this person doesn’t have a kitchen! Like what?! But hey! My belly is my kitchen! I place everything in there! Lol XD

Anyways… Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-Reading, Suggestions, Improvements that I can make, please comment below and I’ll be glad to be of help! Have a Nice Night! ;D

PS: I feel like I’ve done this topic with you guys before… Have I?! Oh who cares if I have! It is a revision lesson if I have lol ;p

Lesson 47

https://archive.ph/tKAXQ

ਹੈਲੋ! Today we’re going to look at things that you might find in your room:

سرير = “Sareer” = A bed

مخدة = “Mikhada” = A pillow – The Spanish word “Almohada” was influenced by this word [as you can also notice, the Spanish word for pillow starts with “Al” does that ring a bell? If you see a Spanish word beginning with “Al” there’s a good chance it’s originally Arabic! Don’t quote me out on that though!]

وسادة = “Wisaada” = Also means “A pillow” but personally I think it’s more common than “Mikhada”. Bu they’re both common so you can use either.

عطاء = “3itaa’ “ = A duvet – In fact, it just means “A cover”, but what is a duvet? A cover.

مكتب = “Maktab” = A Desk/Office – In this case, it would mean “desk”

باب = “Baab” = A door

كرسي = “Kursee” = A chair

طاولة = “Taawila” = A table

بساط = “Bisaat = A carpet

سجادة = “Sajaada” = A rug

ستائر = “Sataa’ir” = Curtains

شباك = “Shubaak” = A window

نافذة = “Naafitha” = A window - You could use either, but “Naafitha” is much more commonly used

كتب = “Kutub” = Books – Spelt the same way as “He wrote”, but pronounced differently due to short vowels. ‘Books’ is “Kutub” and ‘He wrote’ is “Kataba”.

مصباح = “Misbaah” = A lamp - علاء الدين والمصباح السحري = “3alaa’ aldeen wa almisbaah alsihree” = Aladdin and the magical lamp ;p I dunno why I had to teach you that! XD

خزانة = “Khizaana” = A cupboard – Close to the word “خزن” (Khazn) meaning “store”

خزانة ملابس = “Khizaanat malaabis” = A wardrobe – you should remember that “Malaabis” means “clothes”, so ^ means “A cupboard for clothes”, aka; a cupboard.

I think that’s it. I don’t know about you guys, but my bedroom is literally what a bedroom is meant to be. “A bed room” a “room for a bed” so I guess I literally have nothing in my [shared!] bedroom. I know some people who have A Mop a Top Shop up there! Lol XD

Anyways! Lemme stop waffling!

Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Improvements that I can make to these posts, please comment below and I’ll be glad to be of help! Cya guys, have a Great Afternoon! [Not night XD]

Ps: Tell me what you guys want me to do! I’m running out of ideas! ;D

Lesson 48

https://archive.ph/6cAzS

Сәлеметсіз бе! Today we’re going to look at pet animals and we might go into a bit of farm animals too! We’ll leave the wild ones [like my siblings] for tomorrow! Let’s start:

الحيوانات = “Alhayawaanaat” = [The] Animals - Quite a long word! I feel for you guys! ;p

الحيوانات الأليفة = “Alhayawaanaat al’aaleefa” = [The] Pets – So we know “Alhayawaanaat” means “the animals”, “Al’aaleefa” means “that are domestic”, and obviously pets are domestic… Hopefully!

القط = “Alqit” = The Cat – The best most amazing pet you can ever wish for! =^‥^ . ... After a wolf [other than the fact it’d probably eat you… but hey! I already have enough predators after me ;p]

الكلب = “Alkalb” = The Dog – ໒( = ᴥ =)ʋ Often used as an insult [they’ve got a point!] and unfortunately for dog-lovers, you won’t find much people walking a dog in Arabia… Well anyways, let’s think of the bright side, you don’t have to step in a good 30-inch pile of crap wherever you walk!

السمكة = “Alsamaka” = The Fish – We should know this already from our food journey! Also, why would anyone want a pet fish? Like honestly!

الطائر = “Altaa’ir” = The Bird – Literally means “the one which flies” which isn’t very creative, but hey! Let’s stop criticizing Arabs uncreativity! XD

الببغاء = “Albabaghaa’ ” = The Parrot – Often used to describe that one person who won’t stop talking ;p

الهامستر = “Alhaamstir” = The Hamster – Another late - arriver to Arabia! I’m sure you guys will find that hard to remember!

الأرنب = “Al’arnab” = The rabbit – Nope, I will not dare put a pic of Big Chungus!

الفأر = “Alfa’r” = The mouse

الثعبان = “Althu3baan” = The snake [serpent] – Don’t ask me why some weirdoes have pet snakes but OK!

الأفعى = “Al’af3aa” = The Snake – Now this word is more like a snake, whereas the other is a serpent… But everyone just says both because… A serpent is a snake? I guess? Anyways, both are common so just remember them as snake.

الجرذ = “Aljurth” = The Rat – Make sure you pronounce the “th” like that of “that”… if that makes sense

الدجاجة = “Aldajaaja” = The Chicken - We also did this one in our food journey, but we learnt it as plural. This is the singular form.

الحصان = “Alhisaan” = The Horse – Arabic horses are beautiful! They’re elegant [unlike the British ones… No offence… If that’s offensive] But yeah, they’re awesome and they’re actually quite special for Arabs as they’re part of their culture [so you’ll never hear an Arab call another Arab a horse, cus that’s a compliment… Though it’s never used to compliment someone lol XD]

البقرة = “Albaqara” = The Cow – If you’re a Muslim, you might know this from the longest surah in the Quran which is called “Al’baqara”

الخروف = “Alkharoof” = The sheep

الغنم = “Alghanam” = The Sheep – Also another word for “sheep”. You could use either as they’re both common

الحمل = “Alhamal” = The Lamb – Please, please, please don’t get this mixed up with “Alhaml” or “Alhaamil” which is “pregnant”!!!! It’s a warning! Don’t come complaining that Sassy didn’t say!

المعزة = “Alma3za” = The Goat

الديك = “Aldeek” = The Cockerel/ Rooster

الكتكوت = “Alkatkoot” = The Chick – I totally enjoy pronouncing this word [especially when it’s plural which is “Alkataakeet”]

المهر = “Almuhr” = The Pony – Nope. No pink and blue ponies thank you!

الخنزير = “Alkhinzeer” = The pig – Not a very appreciated word in the Arabic region and is often used as an insult. They’re considered dirty animals, so you are unlikely to see pork in the super markets and restaurants etc…

الحمار = “Alhimaar” = The Donkey – Quite an offence, used around the world in fact! I don’t see why as there’s a lot of people who use donkeys every day! They’re very helpful and fun to ride on when your parents won’t let you buy a horse. Though falling off the back isn’t the funniest I tell you! XD

الجمل = “Aljamal” = The Camel – Arabia is well-known for its camel and horse races, as well as camels being another part of Arabic culture. They’re quite holy I guess [I mean they do look holy with those batty eye-lashes XDDD! JK] Anyways, I advise you not to look to close at their hot eye-lashes so that you don’t get spit on your face for sun-cream! XD

I think I’ll end it here! I know there’s plenty of animals in this world [of them are a species that walk on two feet] so I won’t be able to note everything. If you want to know a certain word, please feel free to note that down below, Thanks! ;D

Any Qs, Proof – Reading, Suggestions, Points I can improve on, Comment below and I’ll hopefully be able to answer you shortly! Have a Good Evening! CYA!

Do you guys have any funny or weird animal experiences you want to share? Feel free to comment below! ;D

I’ll say that falling off donkeys, getting spat on by camels, the fright of walking to school every morning with a huge dog freaking the hell out of me as I walk by, chasing after some weird geckos or chameleons, and needing the toilet in the middle of the night while wild dogs are barking outside [so I can’t go and pee in the tiny box of a toilet outside] then getting chased by them is enough from my side! XD

Lesson 49

https://archive.ph/6Wwwd

Hei! Today we’re going to be looking at WILD Animals! [sounds like my Spanish class! XD] Anyways hmm let’s begin!

الحيوانات البرية = “alhayawaanaat albariya” = [The] Wild Animals – “Alhayawaanaat” which if you can remember is “animals”. So “Albariya” means “that are wild”, so yeah it technically means “The Animals that are Wild”

الثعلب = “Altha3lab” = The Fox

الذئب = “Althi’b” = The Wolf

الضبع = “Aldaba3” = The Hyena

الأسد = “Al’asad” = The Lion – You may have heard of the Arabic name “Asad” meaning “lion”

الفيل = “Alfeel” = The Elephant

الفهد = “Alfahd” = The Cheetah – Another Arabic name is “Fahd”

النمر = “Alnamir” = The Tiger

الكوجر = “Alkawjar” = The Panther - I’m not sure if people use this word anymore. I feel it’s one of those extinct words as I haven’t heard it often . But basically, because of creativity issues, I think panthers, jaguars and cheetahs tend to share the same name which is “Alfahd”.

الوشق = “Alwashaq =The Lynx – [Not the spray!]

الزرافة = “Alzaraafa” = The Giraffe

الغزال = “Alghazaal” = The Gazelle

الجاموس = “Aljaamoos” = The Buffalo – Reminds me of the amazing story book called “The Gruffalo” [and if you haven’t read it before, you’re so missing out! XD - that’s the way I should trick Sousou when she’s trying to eat me ;p]

الذئب المرقط = “Althi’b almuraqat” = The Spotted Wolf – “Almuraqat” means “that is spotted”.

وحيد القرن = “Waheed alqarn” = The Rhino – “Waheed” means “lonely” but in this case means “with one”, and “Alqarn” means “[the] horn”. So “Waheed alqarn” is “that with one horn”… Though I’m quite sure some of them have two… Or none [after some mean animals that walk on two legs decided to chop them off for their benefit]… But anyways!

فرس النهر = “Faras alnahr” = The Hippopotamus [or just hippo if you’re not extra] – “Faras” means “mare” and “alnahr” means “the river”, so “faras alnahr”, is “the mare of the river” which is quite a far-out description of the ugly beast but ok!

القرد = “Alqird” = The Monkey

الشمبانزي = “Alshimbaanzee” = The Chimpanzee

الليمور = “Al’laymoor” = The Lemur

السلحفاة = “Alsulhafaa” = The turtle/ Tortoise – I don’t think there’s a word for tortoise in Arabic, they always use the same word for both [simplicity is the spice of life aaah!]

السنجاب = “Alsinjaab” = The Squirrel

القنفذ = “Alqunfuth” = The Hedgehog

القندس = “Alqundus” = The Beaver

Thanks for Reading! I hope you enjoyed today’s post and have a nice evening! ;D Tomorrow we’ll continue through the animal kingdoms, possibly birds or fish [depending on which one you’d prefer me to do first, choose your pick]. Cya then! ;) [Oh and sorry for posting late]

Any Qs? Spotted a Mistake? Have a Suggestion for Future Lessons? Please Comment Below and I’ll answer you as soon as possible! :D [don’t quote me out on that though! XD]

Lesson 50

https://archive.ph/wzQVz

*Salom! Today we're going to look at birds in Arabic :

*الطيور = "Altuyoor" = [The] Birds

*A few days ago we looked at the word "الطائر " (Altaa'ir) meaning "the bird", there's also another word for "the bird" which is "العصفور " (Al3usfoor) which is also very common

*الكناري = "Alkanaari" = The Canary

*الببغاء = "Albabaghaa' " = The Parrot

*البجعة = "Alba3ja" = The Swan

*الاوزة = "Al'iwaza" = The Goose

*الدجاجة = "Aldajaaja" = The Chicken

*الطوقان = "Altooqaan" = The Toucan

*الحمامة = "Alhamaama" = The Pigeon

*الطاووس = "Altaawoos" = The Peacock

*البطة = "Albata" = The Duck

*النعامة = "Alna3aama" = The Ostrich

*البطريق = "Albitreeq" = The Penguin

*البومة = "Albooma" = The Owl

*الهدهد = "Alhudhud" = The Hoopoe

*السنونو = "Alsunoonoo" = The Swallow

*الغراب = "Alghuraab" = The Crow

*النورس = "Alnawras" = The Seagull

*النسر = "Alnasr" = The Eagle

*الصقر = "Alsaqr" = The Falcon/Hawk

*الطائر الطنان = "Altaa'ir altanaan" = The Hummingbird - "Altaa'ir " meaning "the bird", and "altanaan" meaning "that buzzes", so "Altaa'ir altanaan" is the "bird that buzzes" or "the Hummingbird".

*الرفراف = "Alrafraaf" =The Kingfisher

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof reading, Suggestions or Possible Improvements, please comment below and hopefully I'll be able to reply! ;D [Sorry I haven't been checking recently because I'm going to be busy for the next few weeks but I'll try to check as soon as I can! Thanks for your co-operation ;) ]

Have a Nice Day! Cya guys! :D Oooh! We've reached post 50! ;D

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Return to “Language”