Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [11-20]

Moderator: The_lost

Deleted User 114

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [11-20]

Post by Deleted User 114 »

These posts were originally written by SASSYandsisters.

Special

https://archive.ph/yGLY7

IDIOMS! ;p

*Well actually I was planning to do it later on but I thought that this is the best day of the year so I thought, why not? Let's start! I didn't add really bad words because we are only going to use these words on certain desperate occasions only, right? :3 hehehe... :

*غبي = "ghabee" - the famous yr2 diss... "Stupid!" <- classics :3. "gh" is the letter (غ ) if you want to hear how to say this letter just write "gh pronunciation in Arabic" on Google and you'll find a million videos. Oh yeah, this word could also mean 'dumb' - I mean I'm pretty sure 'dumb' and 'stupid' mean the same thing, don't they?

• أبله = "ablah" - idiot/dumb/stupid (they all mean pretty much the same thing). When you say this word, make sure you pronounce the "h" sound at the end (in English they tend to keep it silent but here we must pronounce it as in many dialects, "abla" means teacher!).

• أحمق = "ahmaq" - foolish/stupid (along those lines). The "h^" is (ح) and "q^" is (ق ).

*حمار = "hemaar" - the Arabic word for donkey, although many less-fortunate Arabs still use the donkey, it seems they like to use its name as an insult, although clearly it's very helpful (and better then some people...).

*سخيف = "sakheef" - silly/ridiculous. Here we've got the famous "kh" sound (خ) which seems to be 99% of the time butchered, by (naming no names ...hmmhmm) and said like a "k". There is already a letter in the alphabet for 'k' which is (ك) so you must be able to pronounce this letter correctly.

• كلب = "kalb" - meaning 'dog'. Also a common insult in many other languages other than Arabic... Lol, I bet the animals call each other humans! Must be the worst insult XD

*مزعج = "muz3ij" - annoying/irritating. Well, not exactly an insult (unless you're super sensitive or something). The "3" here is (ع).

*سمين = "sameen" - fat/obese :)))) . In some countries this isn't considered an insult, but in Arabia it does (especially when you say it to a girl IDW). But basically, just avoid saying it on accident (cus the next thing you'll find yourself flattened :3 ).

*قبيح = qabeeh - ugly. I'm not the kind of person who gets insulted by these lame insults but yeah, there's some that do... (mainly girls IDW - or maybe this is a stereotype?).

*So here's your starter kit of 9! Now, adjectives in Arabic have genders so all the ones above are masculine so if you are saying these to a lady (I hope not!) then all we have to do is add the SOUND "a" (ة ) to the end of every word above except for the 2nd and 3rd ones. Why? Well these adjectives start with an 'alif' ( أ ) "a" so when they are transformed, you take off the 'alif' at the beginning and add it to the end with a 'hamza'. So they will become (حمقاء) "hamqaa' " and (بلهاء) "balhaa' ".

*Thanks for reading, any Qs (including words you would like to know), then please comment below and I'll be glad to answer them. Any problems with above words then I'll be happy to remove any unnecessary ones (I did try to pick out ok ones, though I have plenty in my socks ;p )...

Oh ya... I was wondering... Why didn't my face appear on Google?! No fair! I'm 365 days older then I was last year so why am I not on there?! After all there's no point celebrating someone's b-day on Google if they're not alive to see their name on Google anyways, no? :( ... watch guys, if you ever see "sassy" on Google know that was me ;p

Number 11

https://archive.ph/1Tiix

*Hello Again! :) Today we'll start going through our new topic on Greetings and Introducing. In fact, it is my bad, I should've went through this first but at least by the end of this post, I won't have to write my greetings in English no more ;)

*مرحبا = "marhaban" - Hi/hello/welcome. So this word does end with an 'alif' (a) but there's something called "tanween" on top of the 'alif' (which I'm afraid I can't show you, let alone teach sorry!) but basically it acts a bit like vowels but we're learning how to speak so... (same excuse all the time)

*أهلا = "ahlan" - Hi/hello/welcome. This word also means "hi" and "hello" and "welcome" and , just like the above, it has tanween. You could use either really though this one is probably easier to pronounce correctly.

*صباح الخير = "sabaah alkhayr" - Good morning. So "sabaah" means 'morning' and "alkhayr" means 'the good' when you translate literally.

*صباح النور = "sabaah alnoor" - Also means Good Morning but the one above is probably more common, but both are common so I thought it'd be good for you to know them both. "alnoor" here literally means 'the light'.

*مساء النور/ الخير = "masaa' (alnoor/alkhayr)" - Good Evening, just like above, you can use "alnoor" or "alkhayr". This also means Good Afternoon as well.

*تصبح على خير = "tusbih 3ala khayr" - Good Night. "tusbih" literal meaning 'to wake up' and "3ala" means 'on' and "khayr" meaning 'good' (you may have noticed a similarity between this word and that above).

• In Arabic, there is NO word for 'the'. The two letters (أ ) and (ل) joint together make the sound "al" which means 'the'. So whenever you see these letters together, know that this means that it is 'the ....' (don't worry if this hasn't made sense, I will go through this at some point, for now remember the phrases above).

*Thanks for reading ;p Any Qs, please ask me below and any mistakes made please tell me and I'll fix them. Any subjects or phrases that you would like me to make a post on in the future, also feel free to tell me :) I have also made a special post if you haven't already and would like to press here: [https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/32014965] Have a lovely 3rd of May! (ps: if you didn't know already, this amazing month 'may' in Arabic, is pronounced 'mayo' just like in Spanish! ;D)

Lesson 12

https://archive.ph/NJe0O

*مرحبا :) Today we'll be looking at some essential words you need to know:

*أسف - letters: alif - seen - faa / sound: a-s-f

*Transcription: "asif" - Meaning 'sorry'. If you are a girl then you'll add the SOUND 'a' (ة ) so it will be "asifa".

*شكرا - letters: sheen - kaaf - raa - alif / sound: sh - k - r - a

*Transcription: "shukran" - Meaning 'thanks /thankyou'. You don't change anything here because the word above technically means "I am sorry" so you change 'sorry' depending on your gender whereas "shukran" just means 'thank you'. There's 'tanween' above the alif in this word so the sound 'an' is added to the end.

*لا - letters: laam - alif / sound: l - a

*Transcription: "Laa" - Meaning 'no' . When 'laam' is followed by 'alif', the letters are joint together and are often called one letter "laamalif" (they just joined the two letters together ;p ).

*نعم - letters: noon - 3aa - meem /sound: n - 3 - m

*Transcription: "na3am" - Meaning 'yes'.

*من فضلك - letters: meem - noon faa - dhad - laam - kaaf / m - n f - dh - l - k

*Transcription: "Min Fadhlik" - Meaning 'please' - 'dh' is (ظ ).

• Thanks for reading, any Qs or possible improvements, I'd be glad to hear (see in fact) them ;D have a nice day! ;D Aaah Saturday :3 ... Reminded myself not to forget days of the week! Btw, if you haven't realised already, there are new contributors and a better chance of Arabic being completed before 2023! ;p

Lesson 13

https://archive.ph/2kvaw

Today we're going to go through some more essentials Goodbye and in a bit lads (oh yeah, good news, I've managed to get 'tanween' printing on my keyboard!) :

*مع السلامة = "Ma3a alsalaama" = Meaning 'Goodbye' - but literally means 'with safety' so you are wishing someone a safe trip etc... (which is a nice thing to say, so I'd recommend this one)

*إلى اللقاء = "Ila al'liqaa' " = Meaning 'Bye' - this one isn't as common as the one above, and is normally used when someone is going to leave and you're saying 'Bye until we meet again' as it is literally translated as 'until we meet' . This one is a little bit more "formal" in my opinion ( I mean I don't remember myself ever really using this one in comparison to the above, which I say almost everyday), but it's good to know these.

*وداعاً = "Wadaa3an" = Also meaning "Bye" - this one is quite common as well. As you may have noticed in the Arabic script, there are two small dashes above the word, that's the 'tanween' and it makes the ending of the word sound like "an" instead of "a", although the word ends with an 'alif'.

*أراك قريباً = "Araaka qareeban" = Meaning 'See you soon' . "Araaka" means "I see you" and "qareeban" means "soon". Here, there's also a 'tanween' (bil fat'h^ precisely, but don't worry about it too much).

*أراك لاحقاً = "Araaka laahiqan" = Meaning, 'See you later' . "Araaka" meaning "I see you" and "laahiqan" meaning "later".

*أراك غداً = "Araaka ghadan" = Meaning, "See you tomorrow". So we already know what "araaka" means, and "ghadan" means "tomorrow".

*Nope, we aren't done yet kids, sit down... We've got equality to make... So, if you are talking to a girl, then for the last three phrases we must add "i" (short vowel) instead of the short vowel "a" at the end of the word "araaka". So it will be "araaki (ghadan/laahiqan/ qareeban) " - the second word doesn't change, only the first one does (quite simple).

*شكرا for reading (do you still remember this word? I know, I know, 24h ago, fair enough... it means 'thanks'). Any Qs, proof-reading, suggestions etc... Please tell me! ;) "أراكم غدا" (see you tomorrow - pl) ;p

Lesson 14

https://archive.ph/gbPnT

*مساء الخير today we'll go through... umm... food? Nono actually we'll got through introducing ourselves, yeah, so here we go:

*إسمي - Spelt: - Letters: alif - seen - meem - yaa / sound: a - s - m - ee/y

*Transcription: "Ismee" - Now, you may have noticed that although the word begins with an 'alif', it makes the sound 'i' instead of the expected 'a' . This is because of the short vowel, which looks like small dash below the letter 'alif', called "kasra". It looks like this (ِ ) now if I can print it on the 'alif' it looks like... this > (إِ ) - YA! I can print! ;3 ... anyways so when there's a "kasra" below any letter, you must pronounce it as 'i'. So if we had the letter (س ) "s" with a "kasra" below it, we pronounce it as "si", get it? (if not, write below and I'll explain better).

*So what's the meaning of this word we've just wrote an essay about? It means "My name is" (kinda epic for a small word, no?)... So when we want to say our name, all we'll say is "Ismee (Sassy) " - that's it! You could also say "Ana ismee (Sassy)" but that's just extra - there's no need for the "ana" (I) and it also makes the conversation seem less 'natural'.

• Thanks for reading and sorry for the short post; I was going to go through how to say where you are from, but then realised I hadn't gone through some countries yet. That's going to be for the next post tomorrow. Any Qs or Pr (proof - reading, although not much to Pr anyway) please tell me. Have a nice day! ;p

Lesson 15

https://archive.ph/IEpKY

Sorry I'm late guys I had to do some work and stuff. We're gonna go through some countries, if I miss yours out or if you would like to know a specific one, comment below ;)

*إنجلترا / انغلترا = sometimes said: "Ingheltraa" / "Injiltraa" but often said "Ingeltraa", yup, it is England. (potato-land XD JK) ;p

*فرنسا = "Faransaa" - Kings of the croissant, France!! ;3

*إسبانيا = "Isbaanyaa" (but said "Ispaanyaa" with a light 'p' - remember, there's no letter 'p' in Arabic, it is often replaced with a 'b') = Kings of the most common holiday destination? Spain!! - (IDK much, someone say a better one) :P

*ألمانيا = "Almaaniaa" ("Don't make the aa's too long) = Germany!! Kings of HB pencils... JK ;p

*اليابان = "Alyabaan" (said "alyapaan" with a light 'p' here too) = Kings of tech + anime!!! ... Don't forget the Sushiii!! It's Japan!!

• الصين = "Alseen" (Don't pronounce the 'l' here!!) = Made in China.

*أمريكا / أمريكيا = "Amreekiyaa" / "Amreekaa" = Yaa it's the New World (apparently) America!!

*البرازيل = "Albaraazeel" = Kings of the football! Way to go Brazil!!

*السويد = "Alsuwayd" (Don't pronounce the 'l' here as well) = Snowy Sweden?!! Maybe?

*مصر = "Misr" = Kings of the Kings... Egypt!! (Don't ask me how it turned from 'misr' to Egypt)

• المملكة العربية السعودية = "Almamlaka al3arabi'ya alsu3oodia" = Wow that was long! C'mon Saudi Arabia!! (you could also shorten it to ( السعودية) "Alsu3oodia" )

*سوريا = "Sooriyaa" = Syria (they've got some really nice food you know...)

*فلسطين = "Filisteen" = Palestine - still living!! ;) LOL!!

*المغرب = "Almaghrib" = Sunset Kings Morocco!! ('almaghrib' means 'the sunset')

*الجزائر = "Aljazaa'ir" = Algeria (not just a desert guys - according to some...)

*الهند = "Alhind" = Land of the umm... Indian cuisine? Nice!

*Ok I'm gonna stop here cus the list goes on and on and on ... Any specific countries, you know who to ask! ;p

*Thanks for reading, any Qs, Pr or suggestions I am open!! ;) have a nice evening! :D

Lesson 16

https://archive.ph/MO3NK

*Yesterday's post was about countries, so now as we've got those fresh in our mind (hopefully!), we can now start on saying where we are from - don't worry, it is very easy:

*أنا من - letters: - alif - noon - alif + meem - noon / sound: a - n - a + m - n

*Transcription: "Anaa min" = ' I am from'

*Simple isn't it? So whether you are a boy or a girl, doesn't matter. All you have to say is: "Anaa min" + (a country from the last post)... As easy as pie!! (eating it, yeah... baking it, not so much ;p)

*So if we go from the beginning - we'll be able to say our names and where we are from. E.g. (إسمي نور و أنا من مصر) "Ismee Noor wa anaa min Misr" - My name is Noor and I am from Egypt. ^ all I've done, is joined the two phrases we went through with (و) "wa" - which, if you can't remember, means 'and'.

*If we are extra, we might want to go more 'professionally' and add this word:

*(أصلاً) - letters: - alif - saad - laam - alif (laamalif) / sound : a - s^ - l - a

*Transcription: "Aslan" - so if you haven't noticed, there is 'tanween' (bil fat'h^) above the letter 'alif' so we make the sound "an" at the end of "aslan" instead of the expected 'a'.

*So what does it mean anyways? It means 'originally', but how does this link? Well, we can say that we "are originally from somewhere", can't we? So here's an example to show this:

*(إسمي أمجد وانا أصلا من اليمن) "Ismee Amjad wa anaa aslan min Alyaman" - My name is Amjad and I am originally from Yemen. ("Alyaman means Yemen, this is one I haven't mentioned in the other post).

*Thanks for reading, any Qs, Pr or suggestions (this could also be of future topics), please comment below. Have a nice day!!

Lesson 17

https://archive.ph/PEjLt

*مساء الخير , Yesterday we looked at where we are from so today we're going to look at where we live, let's start:

*Now I kind of realised that we should know how to ask as well (and of course to answer, you must understand the question!) so from now on, I will also add a question linking to the post so:

*أين تعيش؟ "Ayna ta3eesh?" - 'Where do you live?'. So if you are talking to a girl however, you must add "een" at the end so it will be (اين تعيشين؟ ) "Ayna ta3eesheen?". "Ayna means 'where' and "ta3eesh" means 'you live'.

*There's also another phrase : "اين تسكن؟ " "Ayna taskun?", which also means 'where do you live?'. They're both really common so I thought it would be good for you to know both. Here you must change the question if you are talking to a girl, so same as before, all we do is add "een" so it will be "Ayna taskuneen". Again, "Ayna" means 'where' and "taskun" means 'you live'. Oh yeah, also notice that in Arabic, the question mark is flipped over (and commas are upside down).

*So how do we reply to this (kinda stalkish) question? Easy, it sounds quite similar to the question :

• (اسكن / أعيش ) "A3eesh"/ "askun" - Meaning (quite obviously), "I live...". Remember, when someone is taking about themselves, there is no gender, but when they talk about others there is; so here, there is no need to change anything. It's kind of like English, if I said "I am from France", if you couldn't see me and you didn't know me already, you wouldn't know whether a boy or a girl was speaking. If I said "He is from France" then we all know that the subject is a boy. The only difference here, is that in Arabic, the pronoun "you" has a gender .

• You could also say "Anaa (a3eesh/ askun)..." but as I've mentioned before, there's no need to add "Anaa" before a verb as the verb already tells us who is the subject.

*So now we can make a sentence. Here's an example:

*(اسكن في فرنسا) - "Askun fee Faransaa" - I live in France. < So now we know a new word, "fee" which means 'in'.

*So... Yep from the beginning! Here's an e.g. :

*( اسمي زين. انا اصلا من لبنان لكني اعيش في اسبانيا ) "Ismee Zain. Anaa aslan min Lubnaan lakin'nee a3eesh fee Isbaanyaa" - 'My name is Zain. I am originally from Lebanon but I live in Spain'. So there are two words we haven't learnt yet: "Lakin'nee" meaning 'but I ' ("lakin" on it's own means 'but' ), and "Lubnaan" meaning 'Lebanon'.

*Thanks for reading! Any Qs, Pr, suggestions... You know where I live! (get it?... nvm...) ;p Have a lovely day! :)

Lesson 18

https://archive.ph/QGYMa

*Late again sorry guys! Today we're going to do family members we're going to first start with unpossessed nouns (what I mean is like "brother" instead of "my brother" or "his brother"), this is easy so let's start! :

*أم = "um", meaning 'mother'

*أب = "ab", meaning 'father'

*أخ = "akh", meaning 'brother'

*أخت = "ukht", meaning 'sister'

*جد = "jad", meaning 'grandfather'

*جدة = "jad'da", meaning 'grandmother'

*خال = "Khaal", meaning 'uncle' - your mother's brother

*خالة = "Khaala", meaning 'auntie' - your mother's sister

*(عم) = "3am", meaning 'uncle' - your father's brother

*(عمة) = "3am'ma", meaning 'auntie' - your father's sister

*ابن = "ibn", meaning 'son'

*ابنة = "ibna", meaning 'daughter'

*زوج = "zawj", meaning 'husband' - (don't get this mixed up with "jawz" which means 'nuts'... as in the ones you eat)

*زوجة = "zawja", meaning 'wife'

*صديق = "sadeeq", meaning 'friend' and if it's a girl "sadeeqa"... And you might wonder why I put 'friend' but "friends are family", no? ;)

*So here's a long list for you to remember (Good luck!). You may have noticed I haven't added a few like "cousin" (etc...) but I think they are a bit more complicated so it's better to leave it here and add them on a little later. Also, as I mentioned above, the words above don't tell us who "possesses" them (if that makes sense). That's for tomorrow! ;)

*Thanks for reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions... Yeah you know the rest of my phrase (it's gonna become the motto of this post)... "Comment below and I'll be happy to answer/ correct etc... Have a Nice DAY! and Enjoy your WEEKEND! ;p (I AM)

Lesson 19

https://archive.ph/2afTN

*Hello students! ;p Today I'm giving you homework! JK ha no don't worry... Today we're going change the words for family members into our family members so "my dad" instead of just "dad", so let's go:

*Now there's a simple rule in Arabic to make something yours: "Just add (ي) "ee" to the end of the word". Simple isn't it? So let me show you, but obviously, there has to be the annoying "e - word"... exceptions ... but there is, in fact, a rule for them so no worries, first let me show you the words that follow the rule:

*أم -> أمي "Um -> Umee" - so when we want to say "my mum" we just say "umee"

*أب -> أبي "Ab -> Abee" - so "abee" is 'my dad'

*أخ -> أخي "Akh -> Akhee" - so "akee" is 'my brother'

*أخت -> أختي "Ukht -> Ukhtee" - yep, you've got it now "ukhtee" is 'my sister'

*جد -> جدي "Jad -> Jad'ee" - my granddad

*خال -> خالي "Khaal -> Khaalee" - my uncle (mother's brother)

*(عم -> عمي ) "3am -> 3amee" - my uncle (dad's brother)

*ابن -> إبني "Ibn -> Ibnee" - my son

*زوج -> زوجي "Zawj -> Zawjee" - my husband

*Now to the "thug - life" words that don't follow the rule:

*جدة -> جدتي "Jad'da -> Jad'datee" - 'My grandmother' is "Jad'atee"

*خالة -> خالتي "Khaala -> Khaalatee" - My auntie (mother's sister)

*(عمة -> عمتي ) "3am'ma -> 3am'matee" - My auntie (father's sister)

*ابنة -> إبنتي "Ibna -> Ibnatee" - My daughter

*زوجة -> زوجتي "Zawja -> Zawjatee" - My wife

*So, you may have noticed that all the thug life words are all used for females. No, it's not sexism XD. Basically, as you may already know, to make a masculine word feminine, you add the SOUND "a" at the end of the word. The SOUND "a" at the END of a word is represented with this letter (ة) which is at the end of every single thug word above. This letter is a silent version of the letter (ت) "Taa" , and by looking at the letter (ت) they look alike, only one is a circle with two dots above it, and one is a "canoe" with two dots above it. The name used for the silent version is "Taa marboota" and "marboota" means "tied". So if you look at (ت) and you tie up the ends of the "canoe" you get (ة). Imaginative huh?

*So this is why we add "tee" to the endings of these thug words to make it ours. Simply, they all end in a silent 't' so when you add "ee" to the end, it is no longer silent as it isn't at the end of the word. Ok? (feel free to ask for a better explanation, I won't get offended)

*Oh yeah I forgot an important word: صديق "Sadeeq" becomes صديقي "Sadeeqee". If they are a girl: صديقة "Sadeeqa" ends with a silent 't' so it becomes... Yep!: صديقتي "Sadeeqatee".

*Thanks for reading this essay, any Qs, Pr and suggestions... Feel free to comment below! Have a Great Day أصدقائي ! ;D

Lesson 20

https://archive.ph/rNAi9

Yesterday we went through how to say our family members, so today we're gonna go through how we describe these members using adjectives, lets start:

• (لطيف) = "Lateef" - Nice

*طيب = "Tay'yib" - Kind

*كريم = "Kareem" - Another word for 'kind' + (also an Arabic name)

*بخيل = "Bakheel" - Stingy

*أناني = "Anaanee" - Selfish

*مضحك = "Mudh'hik" - Funny

*مرح = "Marih^" - Fun

*ممل = "Mumil" - Boring

*ذكي = "Thakee" - Clever - Here the 'th' sound is strong, like that of "this" in English.

*غبي = "Ghabee" - Stupid

*وسيم = "Waseem" - Handsome (boy only ) + (also an Arabic name)

*جميلة = "Jameela" - Beautiful (girl only)

*نشيط = "Nasheet^" - Active

*كسول = "Kasool" - Lazy

*رياضي = "Riyaadhee" - Sporty

*مجتهد = "Mujtahid" - Hard-working

*ثرثار = "Tharthaar" - Garrulous (chatty) - In English, the sound 'th' is often very strong. Here, the 'th' is like that of 'thick' - it is light.

*خجول = "Khajool" - Shy

*مزعج = "Muz3ij" - Annoying (best word to describe my siblings... after "ghabee" of course)

*So here's ya starter pack! Get repeating these over and over maybe pointing at family members which match the description to get these stuck in your head!

*NOTE: if the person you are describing is a girl, because of 2019 equality reasons, for every word above add the SOUND "a" at the end and you're done. Exceptions are: "jameela" (as it is already feminine), and "waseem" (it is only used to describe a boy).

*Thanks for reading my late post! Any Qs, Proof-reading or suggestions, feel free to comment below! Have a Nice Day my Friends! ;D

Return to “Language”