Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] [Selma-Ibrahim] Arabic for English Speakers Lesson #3

Moderator: The_lost

Deleted User 114

[ARCHIVE] [Selma-Ibrahim] Arabic for English Speakers Lesson #3

Post by Deleted User 114 »

This was originally posted by Selma-Ibrahim

https://archive.ph/rbgDN

Welcome back ! ْمَرْحبًا بِكُمْ مِنْ جَدْيد

It's been a while, right? Well, we're back again!

Last lesson,(viewtopic.php?t=1979) I gave you the fat-ha and dhamma. I hope you've been practicing, because I'm going to give you the kasra and sukoon today. Ready?

The kasra is exactly like the fat-ha (a little line), except for the fact that it's written under the letter. It produces the "ee" sound like in the word "he", but it's shorter. (If you've taken Spanish, it sounds like the Spanish "i")

Screenshot 2022-03-09 114100.png
Screenshot 2022-03-09 114100.png (77.75 KiB) Viewed 266 times

(The one in blue)

(The letter is written in place of the dots)

Can you recognize the dhamma and fat-ha?

Let's take the word "boy": ولد, and add kasra's to them.

Without harakaat, this word is pronounced as: wld.

What if you want to make it sound like: wilad?

ولد

Don't forget that if a short vowel sound comes after a certain consonant, you add the haraka that marks that sound on (or under) that certain consonant.

For example, in "wilad", the sound "i" is produced after the consonant "w", so you'll put the kasra under the w.

And since the "a" sound comes after the "l", you'll put the fat-ha on the l.

It's easy, just read it again and you'll get it.

So, this is how wilad is written:

وِلَد

What if there's no sound after a certain consonant? Do I jut leave it like that?

That's where the sukoon comes in. The sukoon tells the reader that there is no sound after this consonant. It is like a little circle that is written above the letter.

Screenshot 2022-03-09 114223.png
Screenshot 2022-03-09 114223.png (80.26 KiB) Viewed 266 times

So, since there's no vowel sound after the "d" in wilad, you're supposed to put a sukoon on the "d".

وِلَدْ

Now try to write: walid, welad, wolod, and wld.

I will post the answers on Tuesday.

Now, time for some vocabulary.

I won't be giving you any conjugations for today, but I'll just let you know that "I want" is " أنا اريد" (Ana ureed)

You can also omit the "أنا" since the conjugated form of the verb already tells you who's doing the action.

Water: ماء (maa')

Food: طعام (Ta'aam)

And: و (wah)

So, now, can you say:

• I want water.

• I want food and water.

إلى اللّقاء!

Links:

Lesson 1: viewtopic.php?t=1980

Lesson 2: viewtopic.php?t=1979

Return to “Language”