Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo now has dark mode!

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

EranBarLev
Israel

Duolingo now has dark mode!

Post by EranBarLev »

The owl remembered that it's actually a nocturnal creature, and finally added a dark mode!

dark mode.png
dark mode.png (171.22 KiB) Viewed 1016 times

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Duolingo now has dark mode!

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

This has been the default mode of the app for some time. When I install the app on a new device, I always have to change it

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

DouglasPri13
United States of America

Post by DouglasPri13 »

It doesn't appear to have been rolled out to all accounts yet, possibly being A/B tested, or maybe just a slow rollout. I can see it already in a test account, but not yet in my main Duolingo account. Even if it hasn't been rolled out to given Duolingo account you can try it out by changing the data-duo-theme from light to dark. The mode can be set by using Ctrl-Shift-I to bring up developer tools in most browsers and then in "Elements" or "Inspector" (depending on your browser) and selecting and changing the theme from light to dark. Alternatively there is a user script, https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/46523 ... -mode/code, on Greasy fork that can be also used to set the theme to dark mode. I have been using this dark mode theme in Duolingo for a few weeks now and I have been pretty happy with it.

Native 🇺🇸 | Learning 🇨🇵

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Alternately you can install the DarkReader addon from the Firefox repository on Firefox Nightly (Android).

But for this you need to use a custom collection_id (debug menu enabled).
Same issue to install the Tampermonkey addon on FF Nightly@Android.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

DouglasPri13
United States of America

Post by DouglasPri13 »

I used DarkReader for the last year or so. It didn't always make the best color choices, but it was a workable solution. However, I find the native Doulingo dark mode is a better implementation. I did find one issue in the native mode when hovering over words in stories that poorly implemented at first, but that has since been corrected.

I can't speak to the comment by @Thomas.Heiss about issues installing Tampermonkey or other user script tool to use the user script since I have to admit I didn't actually use the user script that I referenced directly. Instead I implemented the same thing in a custom/personal browser extension. My first and only ever browser extension. The solution is quite literally a one line javascript, which matches the javascript from the aforementioned user script plus a manifest.json to enable it, so not exactly a feat of great programming. The OCD in me though did compel me to create an icon for the extension of Duolingo wearing dark sunglasses.

Native 🇺🇸 | Learning 🇨🇵

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

My DL doesn't have dark mode as far as I know. But I don't love dark mode anyway.

My son likes it. He learned what keys to press to switch my computer desktop to dark mode and is always doing it when I walk away for a moment. :D

Deleted User 5745

Post by Deleted User 5745 »

@EranBarLev I guess this is the web version? I use the app and really appreciate that it has dark mode, but it would be nice to have a choice.
Unfortunately, I seem unable to get into it around at the moment. Some glitch perhaps.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Raymond-The-Cat wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:45 pm

@EranBarLev I guess this is the web version?

Yes. I only use the web version.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Deleted User 5745

Post by Deleted User 5745 »

@EranBarLev Thanks. 👍

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

When I launched Duolingo on my new computer (bought December 2022) the other day, I was informed that dark mode is available.

Not available on my old computer, guessing it's just not compatible with the older operating system/browser.

duo
United States of America

Post by duo »

Just saw this today, that's awesome!

=

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

I've got dark mode since I saw this post and looked in settings, so thanks for that. (web version on android tablet with firefox).

The dark mode switch in settings didn't seem to work at first, so I just left it for a while assuming it was a work in progress. Then I realised I had made the classic Duo mistake of not pressing the "Save changes" button at the top of the screen. Doh! :)

Looks good in daylight. I'll try it again tonight.

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

I use the "dark mode" on very sunny days, when I don't want to get up (little laziness) and move the blinds on the window! hehe 😏🙂

In the evening, I don't use the "dark mode" because I don't need it!

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

I've had dark mode for a while now (weeks? a month or two?) and mostly like it, but for some reason, it reverts to the other mode daily, and I have to go into settings, change it back, and save it again.

Saving works for the rest of the session, but not overnight.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@b05aplmun.ca Maybe try a bug report? This happens to me with animations whenever they tweak something, I have to go in and turn the animations off again. However it doesn't usually happen once per day, although there are times it does occur that often.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Duolingo”