Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

My French course says the cat has 7 lives.

Olav
Norway

My French course says the cat has 7 lives.

Post by Olav »

In Norway we say the cat has 9 lives. What do they say in your country?

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Re: My French course says the cat has 7 lives.

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

In Poland, we say that cats have seven lives!

By their very nature, cats are rather mysterious creatures. It's not easy to gain their sympathy, they go their own ways, and then there's the matter of the number of lives. You can often hear that cats have seven of them.

This is a magical number in Christian numerology. Seven signifies perfection and brings good luck, and cats, thanks to their agility and limberness, always land on four paws.

In Anglo-Saxon culture, on the other hand, there is a belief that a cat has as many as nine lives. - This comes from the supposition that cats originated in ancient Egypt, where the god Atum Ra was depicted in the form of a cat and was symbolized by the number nine.

And what is it really like with these cats?
Of course, they have only one life. All the rest are myths! 🙂

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

In Germany cats also "have" seven lives

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Once this news makes the rounds we may soon witness mass cat migration to Norway to secure two more lives...

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

PtolemysXX wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:46 pm

Once this news makes the rounds we may soon witness mass cat migration to Norway to secure two more lives...

If I were a cat I would be on my way

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

I had three cats, but two male cats have been gone for some time now. I always say they have gone to the world!

All I have left is the youngest black female cat.

Now I suppose that these 2 male cats of mine went to Norway for a longer life! he he ☺️

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

In the USA, we say that a cat has nine lives also. I wonder why some countries say seven, while others say nine. I wonder how that came about.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

@Dana_Dany Danuta It's nine lives in the UK too, like America etc. I'm just a bit surprised Polish has such a simple thing as a cat having seven lives!

I was half-expecting one of those very specific and complicated baffling Polish sayings along the lines of "A black and white female cat never walks into the woods without an orange tambourine" hehe :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Hi, @Davey944676!

If it were up to me I would give these darling cats as many as 13 lives, or more!

... or maybe: "A black and white cat never goes into the woods without a bell" hehe.

Owning one cat leads to owning another.
Who does not like cats, in a previous incarnation must have been a mouse.
Cats are affectionate masters, as long as you know your place.
A cat like a cat, four paws, a back and some fleas - an interesting animal! :)

7 quotes about cats (beautiful cat quotes)

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Cats simply know that the entire universe revolves around them. And they do all have their own weird personalities.

My last cat (officially "mine", not the one that rocks up occasionally for a few treats and vanishes again) could happily ignore me all night...until I picked up and started reading a newspaper. At that point, every time, she would hop into my lap on top of the newspaper and look directly at me as if to say "What do you think you're doing? Why are you looking at something that isn't me??"

Then she would scrunch around and curl up on the newspaper and pretend to fall asleep...Every. Single. Time. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Quotes about cats. 😺

Your cat knocked over something and pretended nothing happened? If so, you'll probably find some of the following quotes useful:

• „In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” – Terry Pratchett
  • “I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days.” – Bill Dana
  • “Cats are inquisitive, but hate to admit it.” – Mason Cooley
  • “As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows, cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the humankind.” – Cleveland Amory
  • “I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” – Hippolyte Taine
  • “Cats are connoisseurs of comfort.” – James Herriot
  • “I’m not sure why I like cats so much. I mean, they’re really cute obviously. They are both wild and domestic at the same time.” – Michael Showalter
  • “You can not look at a sleeping cat and feel tense.” – Jane Pauley
  • “One cat just leads to another.” – Ernest Hemingway
  • “A happy arrangement: many people prefer cats to other people, and many cats prefer people to other cats.” – Mason Cooley
  • “Cats will outsmart dogs every time.” – John Grogan

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Davey944676 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:54 pm

Cats simply know that the entire universe revolves around them. And they do all have their own weird personalities.

My last cat (officially "mine", not the one that rocks up occasionally for a few treats and vanishes again) could happily ignore me all night...until I picked up and started reading a newspaper. At that point, every time, she would hop into my lap on top of the newspaper and look directly at me as if to say "What do you think you're doing? Why are you looking at something that isn't me??"

Then she would scrunch around and curl up on the newspaper and pretend to fall asleep...Every. Single. Time. :)

You got to admit, you loved her anyway! Even though, she had to be the center of attention, right?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Cats are capable of affection and sympathy in spite of their reputation to be otherwise. They'll be waiting for you when you come home. They'll kiss you and thank you and bestow their love on you.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Already testing out cats indestructibility.

More please!

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

How I Trained My Cats. ~ Jak tresowałem swoje koty. 🙂 🐈 😺

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Nauczyłem moje koty dzwonić dzwonkiem. ~ I taught my cats to ring a bell. 🔔 🙂

Return to “Random Thoughts”