Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[Request] Someone who has finished Hebrew Course - Incomplete Vocab

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

Re: [Request] Someone who has finished Hebrew Course - Incomplete Vocab

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Ed_Miliband Okay.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

meanon

Post by meanon »

Just my random thoughts...
From my experience using Memrise flashcards, I do appreciate having the words inside of the skill set that was being worked on. On the other hand, I do remember a few cards that I would get incorrect when I matched the card with an "incorrect" answer. Another thing to consider is, I'm not sure how relevant my input is anymore, due to the switch off of skills to the one path format.
Will see you all later!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@meanon Those lessons from the skills are still taught in the units, albeit in spaced intervals to a repetition of three times before being integrated into the AI powered reviews. I think it is useful to still be able to use these sets of words.

Have a good trip.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

meanon

Post by meanon »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:52 pm

@meanon Those lessons from the skills are still taught in the units, albeit in spaced intervals to a repetition of three times before being integrated into the AI powered reviews. I think it is useful to still be able to use these sets of words.

Have a good trip.

Just checked back here really quickly...Oh my, I'm so sorry! I did not mean that the words (and this project) were not relevant anymore, because they very much are! I was referring to the homonymns we were discussing and having repeated sets of words in different skills. From what I've seen (and correct me if I'm wrong!) the skills in one path get mixed up into the different units. Could this possibly cause having the words sorted by skills less relevent in the end product?

Again, sorry for the confusion! My thoughts were this:
-Having seperate sets of words for homonymns are very useful and appreciated when learning the different skills!

On the other hand:
-What happens if you were presented the word "עצם", and the random choice answers gave you options with both correct answers "bone" and "thing, object"? Both are correct, but the flashcard will only accept one "correct" answer. (This has happened to me on Memrise before)
-And...how relevent are skills currently inside of the new format? When I started the course, they didn't even have the alephbet part rolled out, so things have changed a whole lot since then! My question would be, how much? Because if my input is from that far back....

meanon

Post by meanon »

meanon wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:17 am

And...how relevent are skills currently inside of the new format?

Actually, could we combine the skills into a larger unit groups that match the one path format later? It might be extremely useful, because it would match the new format while keeping the skills cohesive.
This the first additional resource for the hebrew course since the new format rolled out I've heard of, so it would be incredibly helpful for all the people that got lost trying to make sense of the new course. I just wish the notes and tips could be added back :lol:
Btw, I found out how to use the Hebrew Academy site, so I can help with verifying some of the harder forms when I get back in about 2 weeks.
Thank you all for doing this!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@meanon Your point is very good, about will we know what answer is expected with some of these words. Maybe we need some hints for words that are spelled the same or if it is labeled with the skill on the flashcard we'll know what meaning to expect.

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@Corinnebelle @meanon This can be solved by not showing alt definitions for the same word in a multiple choice hebrew-> english flashcard layout. It's a scripting problem in my opinion. For english->hebrew I think it should be the user has to type the hebrew out. Also, I got a list of skills and units from @MatOzone here viewtopic.php?p=58648-hebrew-from-engli ... its#p58648. What we will do in the final flashcard set is match the skills to the units, so you can have a 'unit 1' flashcard set and for all the units. Just need to convert the shorthand names to their full names.

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

Big Update:

@meanon @Corinnebelle @PtolemysXX @MatOzone

Mat Ozone has provided a new list, which is pretty similar to Corinnebelle's list but more updated to the course. We are about a quarter of the way through this new list, depending on how you count. You can still cross-reference with the old list - this will be necessary for conjugations, which I've kept on the sheet. I've filled in the obvious gaps right now. I've now made the updated transliterations part of the new sheet. Many other sources have "definitive" or "complete" word lists, but including them all would take too much time. Ultimately I think we have to make a few compromises to have something usable.

Many of the words added back are lemexes (the) or (and) or (in) or (to) or (for). As long as the original words are already in the list, we can remove most of these.

As said above, we will link skills to units to fit the singular course route. But this does not involve anything on your half. We've decided on Anki, which will have custom features in javascript which I will write up. The audio will be generated from Google. We're also going to make a dictionary, hopefully.

I think the update will help us ensure we are as close to the most recent course as possible (this list was made just today!). We can still cross-reference with @dakanga's list, on which there are approximately 700 additional words - in practice, ignoring infinitives, that number is probably much smaller.

I hope these changes are for the better - I know it's just a few of us on here, and I want to do right by this project, making Hebrew learning online easier and better.

All your help has been incredible. I am very impressed we have gotten this far. Thank you!!

UPDATE: I have added all the values. This will still take some fine tuning as the order has been lost, and we need to check the conjugations that exist for the words. I suggest before going further, we check the checked for pairs/conjugations. Usually, I put them next to each other so it's easier for others to see.

UPDATE 2: Going to sleep. Sorry if I miss any questions I will get back to you as soon as I can. I know a lot more work needs to be done on this. I will try and get some done over the weekend.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Just found 3 words with ה- at the front that we didn't have yet in the additions from @MatOzone. Thank you Mat! Always check we have the word without the -ה before deleting it. Otherwise remove the ה- and keep the word.

@Ed_Miliband When you're awake, could you please hide the coding for words like weather (air temperament)

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@Corinnebelle What do you mean by hiding the coding? I don't follow

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Ed_Miliband wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:14 pm

@Corinnebelle What do you mean by hiding the coding? I don't follow

When I click on some of the words like that one in the course to edit, [I wanted to add cold wave, to the cold front, cold snap one] I get:

=VLOOKUP(C2115,Old_Words!$C$1:$M, 2, FALSE)

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@Corinnebelle should be fixed now - apologies, was an oversight.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Ed_Miliband Are you still working on it? Weather disappeared and I see the English definition for אמא dissappeared too.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Ed_Miliband It's back now. The definition for אמא is still missing though. Seems to have to jumped to את. I'm sure you'll see it in you section.

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@Corinnebelle No idea why that just happened - I reset it back to 17 past. I won't click anything else!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Ed_Miliband It seems a bit mixed up still sometimes. Which side should I pay attention to?

34 Weather ברקים lightnings [plural thunder] Masculine Absolute Plural Noun הַבָּרָק [singular the thunder] habbaraq Unchecked
34 Weather לרעמים [this word means thunder] the wind Feminine Absolute Singular Noun הָרוּחַ haruaḥ Unchecked

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@Corinnebelle the short answer is the left column with the Hebrew is what everything else derives from.

Yesterday I worked to add about 1500 additional words / lemexes. I tried to filter, sort and clean the data but there will be issues. This is not a great excuse, but if there are significant issues like this I will try to fix. Apologies.

In this case, I think they meant 'flashes/lightnings' and 'to thunders'. I have corrected it.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

I took a week off from working on the list. I have just checked back and see that a lot of work I have done is now undone, e.g. instead of one entry for "kibbutz" we have now again "the kibbutz", "to the kibbutz", "in the kibbutz", "falafel", "the falafel", and so on. I am not sure how to continue.

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@PtolemysXX @Corinnebelle I have removed all values which match this formula (based on values removed from the old list).

Code: Select all

=ARRAYFORMULA(IF(VLOOKUP(A2&" "&C2, {Old_Initial_List!$A$2:$A&" "&Old_Initial_List!$C$2:$C, Old_Initial_List!$D$2:$D}, 2, FALSE) = FALSE, "TRUE", "FALSE"))

filtered by the purple filter on column E (translation) - as some of the words are like 'drinks' which seem pretty important to keep.

Hope this fixes the problem.

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@Corinnebelle @PtolemysXX @meanon @dakanga Sorry for the delay. I've added a button called 'Transliterate'. Select some Hebrew words, click on the button, and it will generate the transliterations based on the API we've been using. Of course, any values it generates need to be checked for the Shva (vertical dots) rule (and very occasionally, the qamets qatan rule), which sometimes produces outliers we can't account for - but I've made some changes to account for most of the times these come up.

Also, if you didn't know, I created a =STRIP() function a while ago in google sheets, which removes the vowels from any Hebrew word.

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 11.49.37.png
Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 11.49.37.png (28.75 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 11.49.46.png
Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 11.49.46.png (35.83 KiB) Viewed 5495 times

Hopefully, this helps!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Ed_Miliband Can I delete numbers as long as I keep the basics? Like delete 83 but keep 80? Some numbers are there just to learn how to put them together.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

In the new sheet "Words" I miss option "needs checking" in the "process" column. We have only "checked" and "unchecked". There are a number of words that I checked but did not feel comfortable / competent to mark as "checked". "needs checking" or "needs review" would be a useful option to mark words for the final review by experts/native speakers.

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@Corinnebelle That's makes sense; they can be treated as lemexes

@PtolemysXX Done

Sorry - have come down with a bad case of the coronavirus.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Ed_Miliband Get well soon!

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Ed_Miliband wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:58 pm

Take good care of yourself. Do not worry about the list now.

meanon

Post by meanon »

Ed_Miliband wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:58 pm

Hope you get well soon!

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

I have noticed that in the new words list the entire skill 64 (Construct State 2) is missing. It is available in sheet "old_words". Can it be copied from there in some smart way?

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@PtolemysXX @meanon @Corinnebelle Thank you for your kind words and thoughts - covid knocked me out a lot, but I am recovering now. I have added skill 64. And I think if we continue at a rate of one percent a day, we will manage to get this in two or three months. As for the more complicated requests we can look at this afterwards.

I will get back to adding words now. Thanks again everyone.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Ed_Miliband Good to hear you're recovering! I was worried!

Ed_Miliband
Great Britain

Post by Ed_Miliband »

@Corinnebelle Thank you! Your thoughts were very appreciated.

For Skill 64 I have just realised an issue with the ordering of the words and skills. I will fix it this evening.

Return to “Resources”