Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

הבית שלי נמצא מימין. (en → he)

Moderator: Corinnebelle

sentence bot 🤖

הבית שלי נמצא מימין. (en → he)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

הבית שלי נמצא מימין.

en: My house is to the right.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/17497615

Corinnebelle

Re: הבית שלי נמצא מימין. (en → he)

Post by Corinnebelle »

So what does ימינה mean? The comments on this say שמאלה means to the left so that would make ימינה mean to the right? I thought ימינה was a feminine ימן. Am I wrong?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:56 pm

So what does ימינה mean? The comments on this say שמאלה means to the left so that would make ימינה mean to the right?

Both שמאלה and ימינה indicate directions of movement. This sentence is about a fixed location rather than a movement, so you can't use them. To indicate a fixed location on the right you have to use מימין, מצד ימין or בצד ימין.

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:56 pm

I thought ימינה was a feminine ימן. Am I wrong?

ימינה is an adverb, so it doesn't have a gender.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@EranBarLev Is ימינה pronounced the same as this maybe without the dagesh in the hey?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:24 pm

@EranBarLev Is ימינה pronounced the same as this

In Pealim it's another word: יְמִינָהּ, pronounced yemináh, with the stress on the last sylable, which is the formal possesive form "her right".
The one I was talking about is pronounced yamína, with the stress on the penultimate sylable, and it means "to the right".

maybe without the dagesh in the hey?

The letter ה (as well as all the glottal consonants) can't get a dagesh. The dot in a final ה is called "mapiq", and it denotes that the ה is a consonant rather then a vowel.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

EranBarLev wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:50 am

@EranBarLev Is ימינה pronounced the same as this

In Pealim it's another word: יְמִינָהּ, pronounced yemináh, with the stress on the last sylable, which is the formal possesive form "her right".
The one I was talking about is pronounced yamína, with the stress on the penultimate sylable, and it means "to the right".

maybe without the dagesh in the hey?

The letter ה (as well as all the glottal consonants) can't get a dagesh. The dot in a final ה is called "mapiq", and it denotes that the ה is a consonant rather then a vowel.

So for ימינה would this look right יָמִינַה?

I forgot about the mapiq thingy!

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:33 pm

So for ימינה would this look right יָמִינַה?

According to naqdan.com it's יָמִינָה.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Thanks! @EranBarLevDo you reckon next time I'm wondering about the nikkud, I can just try nakdan? Does it always work well?

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:16 pm

Thanks! @EranBarLevDo you reckon next time I'm wondering about the nikkud, I can just try nakdan? Does it always work well?

Sometimes there's more than one possible niqqud, with different meanings, so be careful when you use it.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

EranBarLev wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:33 am
Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:16 pm

Sometimes there's more than one possible niqqud, with different meanings, so be careful when you use it.

Sounds like I better ask for help! Just in case!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Return to “Sentence discussions”