Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[GRAMM] Verbs - past tense / irregular verbs

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[GRAMM] Verbs - past tense / irregular verbs

Post by Basler Biker »

Past Tense
While it's great to be able to express what is happening right now, a lot of times we will want to talk about what happened earlier. This is were the past tense comes into play.

As with the present tense, there is no difference between I drew and I was drawing. Both are Jag ritade.

Let's look at how we do this in Swedish.

Irregular verbs

Present tense Past Tense English
ser såg saw, was/were seeing
är var was/were, was/were being
kommer kom came, was/were coming
springer sprang ran, was/were running
dricker drack drank, was/were drinking
skriver skrev wrote, was/were writing
Last of all, irregular verbs. Your favorite, I know! There are a couple of patterns here, but nothing that would ever fit in a description like this, I'm afraid.

Worth noting, however, is that:

Since English and Swedish are related, many irregular verbs are the same: drack-drank, såg-saw, kom-came. This is a great help trying to remembering them.

Just like in English, strong verbs don't have a particular ending, instead they usually change their core vowel. This is where you can go look for patterns, just like in English.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Grammatik”