Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Dog people 🐶 🐕 🐩 😊 Topic is solved

Moderator: xillegas

gmads
Mexico

Re: Dog people 🐶 🐕 🐩 😊

Post by gmads »

IceVajal wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:02 pm

Well, perhaps it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that you meet grumpy cats. 😉
I rarely meet a grumpy cat and most cats I know don't meow much. Also none is scratching at furniture. But it's true that cats are territorial and prefer to stay in their place instead of going with their humans.
And actually wild or stray cats live in larger groups. Cats only hunt alone.

LOL! Yes, that could be it :D
But no, not really from actual first hand experience, fortunately :)

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Seems my experience is quite different...

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

( ͡° ᴥ ͡° ʋ)

*** Are you a dog person or a cat person?

You may want to write down your answers to this brief poll before reading the articles, this will allow you to see if you agree with them or not.

1. If you were to have a pet, which would you choose: a dog, a cat, or both?

2. If you didn't answer "both" in the question above, would you consider having the other type of pet or not?

3. Would you say that your preference for a type of pet is tied to your personality or that it is irrelevant?

4. From the following pairs, choose the one you identify with the most.

• affection / companionship
    • attitude toward experiences: closed / open
    • beliefs: conventional / unconventional
    • conscientious / casual
    • conservative / radical
    • dependent / independent
    • distrustful / trusting
    • dominant / submissive
    • following orders: abide / non-conformist
    • extrovert / introvert
    • George Harrison / Paul McCartney
    • living: alone / with someone
    • loner / social
    • neurotic / stable
    • personality: yang (masculine) / yin (feminine)
    • planner / spontaneous

Let's see now what some studies seem to have shown about the link between personality and the type of pet chosen.

** 17 basic differences between dog people and cat people

1. There are more dog people than cat people
    – In survey after survey, dog-lovers outnumber cat-lovers by as much as five to one.
  2. Dog people are far more sociable and outgoing than cat people
    – Dog lovers are friendlier and more extroverted [...] also tend to be more confident and dominant than cat lovers.
  3. Cat people are more intelligent than dog people
    – And they will never let you forget this :lol:
  4. Cat people are more neurotic than dog people
    – Cat lovers tend to be more prone to anxiety and neurotic disorders than dog people.
  5. Cat people are more likely to live alone and in apartments than dog people
    – One study shoes that cat owners are a third more likely to live alone than dog owners and twice as likely to live in an apartment rather than a house.
  6. Dog people are more likely to live in rural areas than cat people
    – Overall, dog people are 30 more likely to live in the country, while cat people are 29 percent more likely to live in the city.
  7. Dog people tend to be more conservative than cat people
    – Owning a dog correlates strongly with having traditional values. Dog owners are also generally more rule-abiding than cat owners.
  8. Dog people are more obedient
    – Cat owners tend to be nonconformists, while dog owners generally follow the tide and obey all rules.
  9. Cat people are more open-minded than dog people
    – Cat lovers generally score higher on thing such as open-mindedness, imaginativeness, creativity, adventurousness, and holding unconventional beliefs.
  10. Cat people are more sensitive than dog people
    – Cat people were found to be more sensitive in this study.
  11. Dog people are more masculine than cat people
    – Although there are exceptions, dog owners both male and female tend to view themselves as more masculine than cat owners do.
  12. Dog people tend to tolerate cats; cat people hate dogs
    – In general, dog owners are more willing to tolerate the idea of owning a cat than cat owners are of owning dogs.
  13. Dog people and cat people have a different favorite Beatle
    – Dog lovers prefer Paul McCartney; cat people prefer George Harrison.
  14. Dog people and cat people have a different sense of humor
    – Cat people enjoy sophisticated, ironic humor that’s built on clever wordplay. Dog people laugh at fart jokes and videos of people accidentally hurting themselves.
  15. Cat people are more independent
    – Dog owners tend to be more sociable and obedient.
  16. Cat people are more likely to be atheists
    – Some research data that suggests that more cat people than dog people are atheists.
  17. Dog people are seeking companionship; cat people are seeking affection
    – Dog lovers are looking for a four-legged little buddy, while cat lovers want something that will purr and rub up against them and knead their paws into their fleshy folds when it’s dark and cold and lonely at night.

For those that answered "both" to the first question:

Studies have shown that people who love both dogs and cats—the so-called “bi-petuals”—have personalities almost identical to those of dog owners.

** Personality differences between dog and cat owners (psychologytoday.com)

• This research suggests there are significant differences on major personality traits between dog people and cat people.

• Fifteen percent of the adults questioned said they disliked cats a lot, while the number who said they disliked dogs a lot was only 2 percent.

• Dogs will intrude on a person's ongoing activities if they are feeling lonely and want some company or play. Cats will occasionally engage in social activities or play with people, but their interest is limited.

• The results showed that dog people were generally about 15 percent more extroverted and 13 percent more agreeable. Dog people were 11 percent more conscientious than cat people. Conscientiousness involves a tendency to show self-discipline, to complete tasks and aim for achievement.

• Cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic; however, they were also 11 percent more open than dog people. The openness trait involves a general appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, imagination, curiosity, and variety of experience. People high on openness are more likely to hold unconventional beliefs, while people with low scores on openness (dog people) tend to have more conventional, traditional interests.

• People who owned only cats seemed to be somewhat different than dog owners, or people who owned both dogs and cats, in terms of their personalities. People who own both dogs and cats seem to be much like the people who own only dogs.

• Cat owners were one-third more likely to live alone, and twice as likely to live in an apartment or flat.

• People who own only cats tend to be relatively introverted (low on extroversion) and also reasonably cool (low in warmth or agreeableness)

• Cat owners are relatively low in dominance. People who are high on dominance are generally described as being forceful, assertive, persistent, self-assured, and self-confident.

• Cat owners appear to be fairly trusting. People high on this dimension are often described as obliging, modest, straightforward, and "good sports." People low on this dimension can be more suspicious and manipulative.

• The general pattern that comes out of both studies is that dog owners are more social, interactive, and accepting, and cat owners (who own cats exclusively) are more introverted, self-contained, and less sociable.

• Perhaps one of the most telling differences between dog and cat owners is [...] More than two-thirds of the cat owners (68 percent) said that they would not accept a dog as a pet, while almost the same number of dog owners (70 percent) said that they would admit the cat into their household.

Click on the image to fully display the infographic.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

These were my answers:

1. Dog

2. No

3. Yes.

4. affection: C * attitude toward experiences: closed: D * beliefs: unconventional: C * conscientious: D * conservative: D * independent: C * trusting: C * dominant: D * following orders: disobey: C * introvert: C * George Harrison: C * living: alone: C * loner: C * neurotic: C * personality: yin (feminine): C * spontaneous: C

This was a very general poll, of course, but even considering some conflicting responses, personality wise, I'm basically a cat person: 76% :D It should obviously go without saying that that was something I knew beforehand :P

How come, then, I don't like cats and prefer dogs? Well, it seems that at least when it comes to choosing a pet, the concept of "opposites attract" reigns supreme :)

Antinomy - Imagination

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Looks like I'm a mix.... On the mobile I'm not going through the questionnaire.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Here's the truth about CARCA:

https://www.explore-mag.com/cats-to-the ... che-rescue

Well, I was hoping it to be more than that, but when they shot they cat out of the cannon, I wondered if it was a hoax! No God fearing human would do that! It seems some people have been tricked by the story [including me] and have quoted it as fact. That guy was just not a cat person for starters. What cat wants to be jerked around in carrier while someone is skiing either?

The closest real deal to that is this cat

Cats have detected cancer.
https://cattime.com/lifestyle/9838-can- ... -in-humans

Cat doing tricks, but can they count like dogs?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Cat can adapt to handicaps very well....

Many years ago I saw a report about this cat.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -side.html

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

IceVajal wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:18 pm

An example of overgeneralization?

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:45 pm

Here's the truth about CARCA:

Well, I was hoping it to be more than that, but when they shot they cat out of the cannon, I wondered if it was a hoax! No God fearing human would do that! It seems some people have been tricked by the story [including me] and have quoted it as fact. That guy was just not a cat person for starters. What cat wants to be jerked around in carrier while someone is skiing either?

It all seemed too surreal and too funny to be true... they got us! but hey! at least we had our laugh!

Cats have detected cancer.
https://cattime.com/lifestyle/9838-can- ... -in-humans

It certainly seems they can, there are many reports —anecdotal reports— of this, but as usual, formal studies to test their ability to detect cancer are basically nil.

Cat doing tricks, but can they count like dogs?
How many tricks can this cat do? - Guinness World Records

Impressive... for a cat :D

A commenter said, "This cat is a robot, my cat won't come even if i do the pspspspsps" :)

Antinomy - Imagination

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

gmads wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:56 am

Not really, there are several cats which are two legged as well as blind cats who jump up on shelves, trees etc.
Many owners didn't realize that their cat got blind, coz the cat are behaving as usual.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

IceVajal wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:48 am
gmads wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:56 am

Not really, there are several cats which are two legged as well as blind cats who jump up on shelves, trees etc.
Many owners didn't realize that their cat got blind, coz the cat are behaving as usual.

Oh! I see!

Quite an amazing ability. They must have learned the layout of everything around and must have a keen sense of their actual position in that mental map at each moment.

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

gmads wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:32 am

A commenter said, "This cat is a robot, my cat won't come even if i do the pspspspsps" :)

Hahaha! Every cat is different. Some cats are more dog like than others!

I really think these things about people being more one way for dog/cat people is just a more often, not they are only like that. You can be whoever you like. Why fit a stereotype? It's kind of cramped in a box!

Hero cats
https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahmarder/1 ... are-heroes

and hero dogs

https://www.boredpanda.com/hero-dogs/?u ... gn=organic

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:02 am
gmads wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:32 am

Hahaha! Every cat is different. Some cats are more dog like than others!

Hehe, yes, some cats are luckier than others :)

I really think these things about people being more one way for dog/cat people is just a more often, not they are only like that. You can be whoever you like. Why fit a stereotype?

If there are more dog people, as studies seem to indicate, preferences are then quite relaxed. Only fewer people would be opinionated about their pet preference.

You can be whoever you like. Why fit a stereotype?

Would not it be the other way round? I mean, people's attitudes "create" the stereotypes.

It's kind of cramped in a box!

Never said a cat :D

Boxes are good. We men love boxes! :)

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

૮ ⚆ﻌ⚆ა

*** Dog-related words, idioms and expressions

** 6 Dog Idioms

• Dog-tired
    = Very tired.
    – he was dog-tired after working a double-shift
    – she's said all nurses are dog-tired by the end of the day
    Down - Dog tired
  • Let sleeping dogs lie
    = When you choose to not talk about things which have caused problems in the past. It's also used to not try to change a situation because it might cause problems.
    – he never talks about his ex-wife and we never ask about her, it's better to let sleeping dogs lie
    – can we just let sleeping dogs lie? I don't want to discuss the matter any further
    Sheena Easton – Let sleeping dogs lie
    Yngwie Malmsteen – Let sleeping dogs lie
  • Like a dog with a bone
    = This, mostly British expression, means to refuse to stop talking or thinking about something. To not give up.
    – when it comes to talking about politics, he's like a dog with a bone
    – don't get into a discussion with her about environmental issues — she's like a dog with a bone
    Queen - Dog with a bone
    The Doors - Riders on the storm
  • Like a dog with two tails
    = To be very happy.
    – he was like a dog with two tails when his team won
    – she'll be like a dog with two tails when she finds she's been promoted
    Paul Carrack - Stay awake (I'm coming home)

** Dog idioms and sayings

• Three dog night
    = It’s so cold we need an extra dog for cuddling and warmth.
    No breed better illustrates this than the Siberian “Bring on the Cold!” Husky..
  • Slept like a dog
    = Slept long and hard.
    So any dog with a guard dog tendency probably doesn’t sleep “like a dog.” For example, a Mastiff may look like he’s sleeping hard, but he probably has one eye open for prowlers. My German Shepherd seems to sleep lightly, perhaps even worrying in her sleep. The French Bulldog, however, is a great example of a breed very capable of sleeping very peacefully.
    Man Man - Van Helsing boombox
    Pierce The Veil - King for a day
  • Double dog dare
    = We really, really dare you.
    This term seems to stem possibly from “black dogs” as slang for bad shillings (so thus a dare for a bad shilling, we suppose), but regardless, the expression is most appropriately illustrated by the Cane Corso. This serious, devoted breed isn’t overly reactive or threatening, unless his family is threatened. But at that point, the dog’s expression – even without sounding an alarm – seems to double dog dare intruders to mess with his loved ones.
    Jack Ingram - Barefoot and crazy
    Beat Rabbi & Deepspace 5 - Double Dog Dare You
    :D I dare you, I double dare you! - Pulp Fiction -- too bad he didn't say "I double dog dare you!"
  • Run with the big dogs
    = Being able to run in the fast lane, with the top performers or competitors.
    You might guess I’d name a Greyhound to illustrate this term, but the term doesn’t necessarily reference speed. We’re actually going to name the Belgian Malinois as the best example. Few breeds are as hardy, tough, committed to work, and eager to perform a task.
    Paul hansen - Up on the porch
    Steven Curtis Chapman - The walk
  • Working like a dog
    = When dogs have a job to do, they don’t mess around.
    They put in the time, effort and dedication to ensure the job is done and done right. There are many working and herding breeds who showcase this sort of work ethic, but the driven Border Collie really puts their mind to it. The Border Collie excels at any job and is know for having the tenacity to adapt and exceed expectations at work.
  • You can’t keep a good dog down
    = This expression best captures the Havanese’s personality, for they are 1) good dogs, and 2) certainly don’t stay down (or off your lap for that matter).
    Havanese were bred in Cuba for companionship so they have upbeat personalities, prioritize cuddling, and also have dancin’ feet. With such entertaining antics, why should they ever keep their four paws on the ground?
    Don Trip – Where I come from
  • His bark is worse than his bite
    = This refers to someone who seems scary but isn’t all that bad.
    This reminds us of Yorkies, who tend to bark to announce newcomers as well as squirrels passing by. The Terrier genes make them tougher than you’d guess; rodent chasing is not for the faint of heart.They’re vocal, sassy, loyal, clever, and self-opinionated. They pack a heavy punch when it comes to personality, but since they only weigh about 7 pounds, they (especially when they confront new dogs!) occasionally bite off more than they can chew.
    Mike Oldfield - Family man
    Big Drill Car – In a hole

** 13 Strange Expressions About Dogs Explained

• Like a dog with two tails
    = To be very happy.
    – I’m feeling like a dog with two tails whose just seen his owner for the first time in almost 30 minutes.
  • Barking up the wrong tree
    = To make the wrong assumption about something/someone.
    – I was positive my girlfriend misplaced my files. Turns out I was barking up the wrong tree. My dog had eaten them.
  • It’s better to be the head of a dog than the tail of a lion
    = It’s better to be a big part of something small, than a small part of something big.
    — I just donated $5 to Kanye West’s Gofundme!
    — You know, it’s better to be the head of a dog than the tail of a lion.
  • Dog eat dog
    = People will do anything to be successful.
    — If you let the air out of Maggie’s tires she won’t make it to the auction where you both hope to bid on that priceless poodle statue!
    — Dog eat dog, my friend.
  • Eat your own dog food
    = When a company uses its own product in internal operations.
    — Hey boss, which paper should I use to print these files?
    — Kelly, this is a paper company. Eat your own dog food.
  • Crooked as a dog’s hind leg
    = Very dishonest.
    — I’ve only got eyes for you my lady.
    — You’re crooked as a dog’s hind leg.
  • Why keep a dog and bark yourself?
    = You shouldn’t do something you hired someone else to do.
    – please stop trying to fix the wall, it’s the contractor’s job. Why keep a dog a bark yourself?
  • See a man about a dog
    = Excusing yourself to go to the bathroom.
    — Hey man, where are you going? You just got here!
    — I’m sorry. I really need to go see a man about a dog.
  • Hair of the dog
    = Drinking alcohol to cure a hangover
    — What’ll it be, sir?
    — Hair of the dog that bit me.
    — Bourbon on the rocks?
    — That’ll do her. (from "The Shining")
  • He who lies down with dogs, rises with fleas
    = Associating yourself with the wrong company may taint your reputation.
    — Mom, can I go over James’ house? His cat just had kittens!
    — He who lies down with dogs, rises with fleas.
  • If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog
    = Dog friends > People friends
    — Mom, only two people out of 15 came to my birthday party.
    — If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.
  • Like a blind dog in a meat market
    = Out of control, frenzied, or aimless. Unable to take action in the face of many choices.
    – I can’t go to Whole Foods. I feel like a blind dog in a meat market. Except instead of being blind, I just don’t have any money.
  • Like the dog that caught the bus
    = When you’ve reached a goal and don’t know what to do next.
    – this girl finally agreed to go out with me after I asked 7 times. But now I feel like the dog that caught the bus.

** Words etymologically inspired by dogs

• Bawl
    = Comes from the sound that a dog makes. In Latin, the dog says bau bau, and bawl originated in the verb baulare, to bark like a dog. Bawl was first used in English for the cries of dogs, and was later applied to human sobbing and yelling (as in "bawl out").
  • Cynic
    = From the Greek cynikos for dog-like, churlish. Though the name might have first been applied to the ancient members of the Cynical philosophical sect because of the school where its founder taught, Cynosarges (place of the white dog), the Cynics were widely thought of as dog-like and churlish by their contemporaries for living on the street and ignoring the rules of decorum.
  • Harpoon
    = Harpoon also goes back to dogs. It comes from the French harpon, a cramp iron for holding stones together, which came from harpe, the word for a dog’s claw.
  • Tyke
    = Dogs also figure in the history of tyke. It comes from Old Norse tík, a word for female dog. It came to be used as an insult in English, and then as a teasing, reproachful way to refer to children. These days it’s lost the sense of reproach and is just another cute word for the wee ones.

Antinomy - Imagination

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Btw, in Germany more people have cats than dogs, so it seems here are more cat people....

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

not-allowed-to-sit.png
not-allowed-to-sit.png (221.08 KiB) Viewed 2082 times

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I enjoyed your idioms. I looked up dog in the idiomatic dictionary:

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/dog

Scroll down to view the list of dog idioms there!

Even the Bible has idioms about dogs.

"A living dog is better than a dead lion"

"Taking a dog by the ears"

"A dog returning to its vomit"

Corinnebelle wrote: ↑Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:02 pm
It's kind of cramped in a box!

Never said a cat :D

Indeed!

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

there-was-a-spider.png
there-was-a-spider.png (261.17 KiB) Viewed 1968 times

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Why do we love dogs so much? Yet we also denigrate them. A nasty name for a female human is a female dog. We work like dogs, we are dog tired. And yet treating someone like a dog is to illtreat them, but the Bible says even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from the master's table. In other words they are privileged beings. Dogs are man's best friend. Dogs will love you to the end. Dogs will make you laugh and smile, but there's not much worse than a dog in your bed that rolled in a dead animal or some other potion.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:35 am

Why do we love dogs so much? Yet we also denigrate them. A nasty name for a female human is a female dog. We work like dogs, we are dog tired. And yet treating someone like a dog is to illtreat them, but the Bible says even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from the master's table. In other words they are privileged beings. Dogs are man's best friend. Dogs will love you to the end. Dogs will make you laugh and smile, but there's not much worse than a dog in your bed that rolled in a dead animal or some other potion.

And don't forget about Proverbs 26:11 (among a few similar others).

Anyway, we have been doomed ever since the first so-called Homo sapiens (for all his good work, having Carl Linnaeus naming our species that way was the height of arrogance) set foot on this planet 300,000 years ago. Unfortunately.

Agent Smith described humankind in no uncertain terms:

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague…

I have agreed with this point of view since forever. Our only redeeming value or feature lies in none of the so-called greatest developments of the human mind, neither in science, nor in philosophy, nor in religion, nor in ethics… but in art, art is the only thing we have done that makes us have some worth.

masaccio-the-expulsion-from-the-garden-of-eden.png
masaccio-the-expulsion-from-the-garden-of-eden.png (411.67 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Art is amazing, but I do not find it ennobling unless the subject of it be. I love music too. These are both things animals don't create in any great degree, that I know of. I don't think animals create engines to drive around with either unless they use some other animal as the host.

I will say humans in general are very destructive beings. Conservation is rarely at the top of the list. Having a balance between humans and nature is tricky.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:07 pm

Art is amazing, but I do not find it ennobling unless the subject of it be.

Not ennobling, I totally agree. I don't think there's anything ennobling in us. I could be mistaken but I think that except for art, every other human endeavour has only lead to distancing, suffering, wars (physical and ideological), and destruction. That's why I think that art is the only thing that redeems us in some way. Were God be about to destroy humankind and I be in Abraham's place (Gen 18:23–32), I guess I would have pleaded, "if there is at least one redeeming value in them… that being art."

I will say humans in general are very destructive beings.

Very!

Having a balance between humans and nature is tricky.

Neanderthals managed to do it.

Do you think that humankind will still be here in… 200,000 years more?

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

gmads wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:35 am

Art is amazing, but I do not find it ennobling unless the subject of it be.

Not ennobling, I totally agree. I don't think there's anything ennobling in us. I could be mistaken but I think that except for art, every other human endeavour has only lead to distancing, suffering, wars (physical and ideological), and destruction. That's why I think that art is the only thing that redeems us in some way. Were God be about to destroy humankind and I be in Abraham's place (Gen 18:23–32), I guess I would have pleaded, "if there is at least one redeeming value in them… that being art."

I will say humans in general are very destructive beings.

Very!

Having a balance between humans and nature is tricky.

Neanderthals managed to do it.

Do you think that humankind will still be here in… 200,000 years more?

I don't believe life as we know it will be here. I do believe God has a master plan for this planet which will be in effect then. A brief look at empires will show you that society has never existed for very long in one dynasty or under one government system.

Somehow I find noble characters that most amazing thing worth more than art. Which would you rather the love of your child or your dog, or a piece of art to gaze at? The Sodomites didn't know what love was, trying to force their way into someone's house.... For me, I prefer righteousness which means charity more than art and misery. I love artwork, but I don't think it replaces noble love.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:24 am

Somehow I find noble characters that most amazing thing worth more than art. Which would you rather the love of your child or your dog, or a piece of art to gaze at? The Sodomites didn't know what love was, trying to force their way into someone's house.... For me, I prefer righteousness which means charity more than art and misery. I love artwork, but I don't think it replaces noble love.

We diverged. My approach or argument had to do with a very broad vision about humankind.

There might have been a few noble characters through history, indeed, but not enough to actually cause a significant dent. What has prevailed? One only needs to objectively look around. Not a pretty sight :cry:

Mark Twain is said to have said, the more I learn about people, the more I like my dog. In my case, I rather go a step further and say, the more I know people, the more I prefer to gaze at art :D

All joking aside, I just think we are talking a bit about different things or from different points of view ;)

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

i-dont-always-bark.png
i-dont-always-bark.png (367.6 KiB) Viewed 1691 times

Antinomy - Imagination

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

I think I love feline species in general. hmm, I'm about to make another topic about pets.

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇻🇳🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

ararat-tempest wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:26 am

I think I love feline species in general. hmm, I'm about to make another topic about pets.

I have the intuition that you will have quite a large number of fans :D

Antinomy - Imagination

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

gmads wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:36 am
ararat-tempest wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:26 am

I have the intuition that you will have quite a large number of fans :D

I think I had at least five cat friends. two of them are stray cats in my neighborhood, one lives near my company, the other two are my friends'.

I love making friends with animals. I'm a druid :lol:

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇻🇳🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Dogs and cats who have saved people's lives. The last one hilarious!

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/people-shari ... 02295.html

Return to “Sociedad y Cultura”