Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Streak Freeze crazy

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

lrai
United States of America

Streak Freeze crazy

Post by lrai »

I am not even sure if this is the place to put this post, but here goes:

Is anyone else finding that the streak freeze is not working right? Here is what I mean, I do a lesson about the same time each morning (within an hour). Yet the weekly progress will show I used a streak freeze when I didn't. Thankfully I have them but I can't figure out why they are being triggered when I do a lesson each day about the same time each day. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I still have my streak, and I am almost to the point where I don't care anymore. I do Duo to learn, not to play games or be in leagues or other such things. I am methodical in my routine and how I learn. However when I got sick earlier this year I had to use my freeze points to keep my streak from going away. Since that time my streak freeze crazy has kicked in.

Thanks for whoever can shed some light on this for me...

lrai
what's your legacy
Image 🇨🇳 🇷🇺 Learning Yiddish, Chinese, Russian

John Little
Brazil

Re: Streak Freeze crazy

Post by John Little »

I've been trying to keep my xp as low as possible whilst in the league. So since Thursday, I've only done one story a day and my streak hasnt suffered.

John661162

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@lrai Hi! I didn't recognize you at first with new profile picture. Is that Jesus in Yosemite?

I have no idea why you streak freeze is being automatically used in spite of you doing a lesson. I suggest you do a bug report as that sounds like a glitch with the program. I haven't been keeping a streak lately, so haven't encountered the owl eating streak freezes.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

I have no idea if that is Yosemite or not but it's a painting by the artist Greg Olsen, I really love his stuff. I have done a bug report but have heard nothing from anyone...hmmmm

lrai
what's your legacy

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

..and you never will. muahahahahahahahah :)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

lrai wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:36 am

I have no idea if that is Yosemite or not but it's a painting by the artist Greg Olsen, I really love his stuff. I have done a bug report but have heard nothing from anyone...hmmmm

I love his paintings too!

This is my favorite! I didn't know the artist's name until you said.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Corinnebelle:

I couldn't see the image, :(

lrai
what's your legacy

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

lrai wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:29 pm

Corinnebelle:

I couldn't see the image, :(

I can see it fine. Maybe you need to update something or something is blocked. Does this link work?

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/for ... olsen.html

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

I had to use my VPN but I can see the image on the link...sweet.

lrai
what's your legacy

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

@lrai Was the bug report able to fix anything?

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Jacko079:

Nope, LOL it seems no one is watching the bug reports...LOL, what can I say??

lrai
what's your legacy

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

lrai wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:16 am

Jacko079:

Nope, LOL it seems no one is watching the bug reports...LOL, what can I say??

Duolingo has been known to answer questions on their twitter account, possibly it would be worth a try there, if you are interested.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

JackoO79:

Thank you for that, however, and I know this will sound crazy but I don't do ANY social media. I don't use APPs, and I still have an old Nokia phone...I know I am a dinosaur living with highly evolved intelligent life that are born with iPhones attached to them, but I find my life to be simple and less stressful staying in the past. LOL

Thank you again for the help.

lrai
what's your legacy

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

lrai wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:44 pm

I don't do ANY social media. I don't use APPs, and I still have an old Nokia phone..

Doesn't sound strange at all. Been social media free since 1st Dec. 2014.. and I have a nokia 2.1 phone :D

The future seemed much cooler in the past :)

rudi
Czech Republic

Post by rudi »

lrai wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:44 pm

I don't do ANY social media. I don't use APPs, and I still have an old Nokia phone...I know I am a dinosaur living with highly evolved intelligent life that are born with iPhones attached to them, but I find my life to be simple and less stressful staying in the past.

uralicnomad wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:36 pm

Doesn't sound strange at all. Been social media free since 1st Dec. 2014.. and I have a nokia 2.1 phone

Now we're already 3. Maybe we should start a club (this is a german speaking. How do you say in english?) :geek:

uralicnomad wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:36 pm

The future seemed much cooler in the past

THIS!

Paket Haken Satellit Dilettant Rhythmus Epidemie Hämorrhoiden Pubertät Gestalt Repertoire Reparatur separat Interesse Original Standard Stegreif - mehr?

Please correct me if I write something wrong. I will never take it as an offense. I want to learn.

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

rudi wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:49 pm

Now we're already 3. Maybe we should start a club (this is a german speaking. How do you say in english?) :geek:

This sounds like a great idea, we could tell all the kids on the forum about what they missed out on in life.. like licking stamps, walking 12 kilometres up a hill in a foot of snow to go to school and then walking up another hill to go home.. eating asbestos for dinner. I'll keep a memberslist on my commodore 64.

We just need a cool name :)

rudi wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:49 pm

THIS!

We are still waiting for our hoverboards :)

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Dear uralicnomad, and rudi:

You both have made my day! As for a club name, I like the "retros". I teach jr. and hi school age kids and when the parents see my phone they suddenly see the light and soon my students have lost their smart iPhones and now have stupid phones. It's amazing how that work, LOL Yes I do remember stamps, envelopes and writing letters that you mailed. I remember when phones had cords or were attached to walls, LOL. I remember when kids rode a bike and if it had 3 speeds it was special. I remember the days before CABLE TV and Crowdfunding. Waiting for the new TV season and hoping your favorite TV show wasn't killed off or moved to some stupid time. When you had to choose between watching one show or another because of the time conflict...so you watched one of them during the summer re-runs. Then we had VCRs and could record things. Oh how about vinyl (real records) and 8-track, cassette tapes, which were the new thing before we came to mp3. When you bought a record and you owned it and could share it and "tape" it to share with friends...oh my how wicked was that? When mobile music was a transistor radio that ran off of a 9 volt battery and it might of had an ear plug so you could listen and not bother other people (imagine that concept) and walking home (yes I did say walking home) from school you could listen to all your favorite top hits on some local radio station. Reception might be an issue but with the nifty antenna as part of your transistor hand held radio, you could make it work.

How about the original "cell" phones that were the size of a men's size 10 shoe and just about as thick, and you had a range of maybe three city blocks and calls were stupid expensive to make. Yep and the first computers for home use, where a 386/66 was state of the art! You had floppy disks, and the internet was still very new and exciting and often didn't work really well. Well that last part hasn't changed. The term "fast" internet was pretty much a dream because everyone had dial up service and the funny noise your modem made when it connected to the internet. Emails were not free, they came with service to connect you to the internet. AOL was living the high life and it would be around forever...LOL. Oh I could wax on and on... Thanks again for this trip down memory lane.

I like to say I am not getting older I just remember a lot more of the past than the present. :)

lrai
what's your legacy

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

lrai wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:17 pm

Dear uralicnomad, and rudi:

I think we need a dedicated rant thread for everything that was good in the world :) We will de-rail this thread in no time :)

p.s. Oh, how I love vinyl.. being able to find a specific part of a song by looking at the grooves just made it so much better. I've dwindled my collection down to 500-600 from 10,000-11,000 :/

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

uralicnomad:

I worked in radio and records for many years and I also had a huge vinyl collection. When I moved to China I got rid of everything. I miss it but sometimes that's how life goes.

lrai
what's your legacy

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Do you think records had better sound when they were new than cds have? Once they get old they're fuzzy, same with cassette tapes. At least you don't have to worry about magnets like you had to with the floppy disks and the cassettes. They say analog was better than digital as far as quality. Always the old things are made better and last longer than the new ones.

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:33 pm

Do you think records had better sound when they were new than cds have?

Yes, especially if it was pressed on a 180gram record (for 12") and didn't go too close the maximum time limit, the longer the side of music, the quality would lessen as the grooves would be closer together. The old K-tel compilatrions were notorious for this.

As with vhs videos, horror movies were so much scarier due to the bleeding of the old cathode ray tube tv's, now the quality is so crisp it doesn't hit you as well.. But this is my personal thought.. some people idolize resolution rates.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@uralicnomad Well, I'm not into horror so I'm glad they're less scary now!

rudi
Czech Republic

Post by rudi »

lrai wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:17 pm

Yep and the first computers for home use, where a 386/66 was state of the art!

What the hell is that newfangled crap? My commodore 128 works that fine with MasterText. Who will ever need that newfashioned "windows" to look inside their computers? I don't think this idea will earn some money.

But before we completely hijack the topic: As you wished: Here we go --->The Retro Club

Paket Haken Satellit Dilettant Rhythmus Epidemie Hämorrhoiden Pubertät Gestalt Repertoire Reparatur separat Interesse Original Standard Stegreif - mehr?

Please correct me if I write something wrong. I will never take it as an offense. I want to learn.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Going back to the original reason for this thread, so today I got some reward that gave me 4 streak freezes and the promise of more if I don't use them, LOL Not sure what happened but that's the newest twist. I give up.

lrai
what's your legacy

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

lrai wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:55 pm

Going back to the original reason for this thread, so today I got some reward that gave me 4 streak freezes and the promise of more if I don't use them, LOL Not sure what happened but that's the newest twist. I give up.

Yup, once you hit the streak society, you'll get five every month or so.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Uralicnomad:

Do they stack up, so I get 5 this month but don't use them, then will I get 5 more (so now 10) and so on? I really wish there was somewhere that had this stuff where a person could see it.

lrai
what's your legacy

rudi
Czech Republic

Post by rudi »

Somehow this is a strange idea: To get more freezes, if you don't use them. And to give them to those, who do not really need them. Otherwise they weren't in the streak society. I mean, streak freezes are made for being used, not for being hoarded. Does duo want to turn us into a herd of Gollums? :twisted:

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

rudi:

I can see where you would think this, however earlier this year I ended up in the hospital for two weeks and had no way to go on my computer. I have a nice streak and really didn't want to lose it over something that was not planned. My streak freezes kept my streak going. A good friend also helped me out. There are times when life does happen, and having a way to help you out is really a nice thing. It's not like I took a break, I had a medical condition that put me out for a time.

lrai
what's your legacy

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

rudi wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:25 pm

Somehow this is a strange idea: To get more freezes, if you don't use them. And to give them to those, who do not really need them. Otherwise they weren't in the streak society. I mean, streak freezes are made for being used, not for being hoarded. Does duo want to turn us into a herd of Gollums? :twisted:

I think it's just Duolingo giving people what they want. Anyone remember the old forum and how it was full of a) people complaining that they'd lost their streaks and b) asking how they could maintain when going away somewhere where they weren't going to have time, network etc. ?

So if it's important to people then it's in Duolingo's best interests to give people ways to protect the streak so that they keep coming back to the site (and help in revenue generation) and don't get demotivated and stop because of the streak

Many of things Duolingo does are to increase the appeal of the site and to keep "customers". Somethings will work for better for different people but it's about appealing to as many as possible

rudi
Czech Republic

Post by rudi »

I see, but my special point is this:

Shouldn't they do this for all (or more) learners, not only for the hardcore ones, who have built up a daily routine already?

I do see the streak freeze is a customer loyalty tool and so maybe it wouldn't work for the absolute beginners, making them lazy and forgetting about duo. But maybe one streak freeze every 100 days? At this point, you should have developed a daily routine.

Lost my streak at the number of 150 or so and it very much demotivated me so I didn't care for duo for a half year or so. One freeze was not enough. But now with 2 freezes I do very well. (2 freezes are way better than the weekend amulet.)

Return to “Duolingo”